Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Roland Jones posted:

I saw the earlier post about this; is this a regular thing or was it a one-time anomaly? That seems really strange.

I sure hope it's just one-time anomaly, but since I'm not really playing Dominions 4 to be diligent and observant, I'm now paranoid every time I see a Nazca-mummy and don't remember how I got it.

Still, I probably shouldn't complain until it happens again, since the same mechanics give every single one of my mages an extra live and instant teleportation back to the capital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Libluini posted:

I sure hope it's just one-time anomaly, but since I'm not really playing Dominions 4 to be diligent and observant, I'm now paranoid every time I see a Nazca-mummy and don't remember how I got it.

Still, I probably shouldn't complain until it happens again, since the same mechanics give every single one of my mages an extra live and instant teleportation back to the capital.

you dont get mummies from your best mage, the foreign heretic healers

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
While LA Caelum arguably got a nerf because their non cap mages got hit with two extra randoms, their troops have gotten significantly better. Raven Guard are no joke if you can lever them effectively.

Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010
Nuclearmonkee put up a video about expanding with Ragha (or any elephant nation) called The Elephant Whisperer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s47o6GJ9WU

I can testify that it does indeed work out pretty good - productivity 3 ragha can expand really really well, very easily with elephants. And your units are good enough that productivity scales justify themselves.

In terms of what you want to do with Ragha - your most important choice is basically H3, H1, C1, C3. If you take a single point of temperature drift from neutral, you can build 1 type of temp-requirement unit year-round and the other once a year (during midsummer or midwinter), and almost never get stuck having to build a crap non-temp-dependent unit when you don't want to. If you take more than the single temperature scale, you can't get the opposite temperature stuff *ever* without having forts outside your dominion or using spells to adjust temperature manually or whatever, but you get more points to spend. If you go neutral there are big parts of the year where you can't recruit really good units and then you are sad.

Cold gets you hordes of A3 fliers who can cast thunderstrike out of the box and with a little effort can gear to turn-1 fog warriors or storm or whatever. They all fly, they all cloud trapeze, and overall have great strategic mobility. Cold's sacreds are sort of crap, at least for the cost, and I never found use for them.

Heat gets you hordes of F3 evokers who are capable of all the traditional fire battlemagic (and you field very fire-resistant guys to synergize with them). You also get turn 1 flaming arrows to go with your flying composite bowmen archers (!) and a neat Blood suite that you can probably parlay into armies of devils or something, and some death as well. Heat's sacreds are really expensive but very very strong fliers, but still cost way more than e.g. the number of elephants that expand as well, so are more of a midgame thing.

You can field a bunch of both with either heat or cold 1, but if you go beyond that you drop versatility a lot and you stop being able to do everything.

Finally, ragha's troops are all either really strong fire-resistant badasses or really crappy chaff that is supremely mobile (flying 3). It's really a quite effective army. Their guys on horses are pretty cool but overpriced for what you get.

Ragha needs a lot of gold and should take really good scales. You don't need a god to do anything so their god is tempted to be asleep or imprisoned for more scales. As far as blesses go, you don't really need to take a bless at all for expansion, and your sacreds are nothing to write home about early on - I honestly wouldn't worry about a bless. Good things to have on a god:

- High Astral (forging, and with S7-9 tanking up Magic Duels that otherwise eat your A3 guys)
- A4+ (you don't get A4 on anyone and need it to forge boosters; you can empower a guy but that's like 60 gems).
- Earth (you don't get earth magic natively, and a few hammers and communion matrices can go a long way, even if you do have to sitesearch with your god to start the earth income).

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

jsoh posted:

you dont get mummies from your best mage, the foreign heretic healers

The best mages are Hurin-priests. Why would you go through the trouble of hiring heretical healers if you can just let your mages die instead? I just recently had a mute, diseased Hurin-priest die and come back as a fully healed mummy.

The healers are poo poo, Nazca is a undead nation full of mummies and skeletons, they don't need them

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Great Gray Shrike posted:

Nuclearmonkee put up a video about expanding with Ragha (or any elephant nation) called The Elephant Whisperer:

I can testify that it does indeed work out pretty good - productivity 3 ragha can expand really really well, very easily with elephants. And your units are good enough that productivity scales justify themselves.

In terms of what you want to do with Ragha - your most important choice is basically H3, H1, C1, C3. If you take a single point of temperature drift from neutral, you can build 1 type of temp-requirement unit year-round and the other once a year (during midsummer or midwinter), and almost never get stuck having to build a crap non-temp-dependent unit when you don't want to. If you take more than the single temperature scale, you can't get the opposite temperature stuff *ever* without having forts outside your dominion or using spells to adjust temperature manually or whatever, but you get more points to spend. If you go neutral there are big parts of the year where you can't recruit really good units and then you are sad.

Cold gets you hordes of A3 fliers who can cast thunderstrike out of the box and with a little effort can gear to turn-1 fog warriors or storm or whatever. They all fly, they all cloud trapeze, and overall have great strategic mobility. Cold's sacreds are sort of crap, at least for the cost, and I never found use for them.

Heat gets you hordes of F3 evokers who are capable of all the traditional fire battlemagic (and you field very fire-resistant guys to synergize with them). You also get turn 1 flaming arrows to go with your flying composite bowmen archers (!) and a neat Blood suite that you can probably parlay into armies of devils or something, and some death as well. Heat's sacreds are really expensive but very very strong fliers, but still cost way more than e.g. the number of elephants that expand as well, so are more of a midgame thing.

You can field a bunch of both with either heat or cold 1, but if you go beyond that you drop versatility a lot and you stop being able to do everything.

Finally, ragha's troops are all either really strong fire-resistant badasses or really crappy chaff that is supremely mobile (flying 3). It's really a quite effective army. Their guys on horses are pretty cool but overpriced for what you get.

Ragha needs a lot of gold and should take really good scales. You don't need a god to do anything so their god is tempted to be asleep or imprisoned for more scales. As far as blesses go, you don't really need to take a bless at all for expansion, and your sacreds are nothing to write home about early on - I honestly wouldn't worry about a bless. Good things to have on a god:

- High Astral (forging, and with S7-9 tanking up Magic Duels that otherwise eat your A3 guys)
- A4+ (you don't get A4 on anyone and need it to forge boosters; you can empower a guy but that's like 60 gems).
- Earth (you don't get earth magic natively, and a few hammers and communion matrices can go a long way, even if you do have to sitesearch with your god to start the earth income).

Alright. So, probably go with either the Ahura of Wisdom (who is thematically-appropriate and can get high Astral easily) or the Annunaki of the Morning Star (who is just awesome and I wish I could easily get her paths on other things; she's cheaper than the Ahura and has better diversity, outside of having Awe I don't see what makes him cost more). Or an Arch Seraph, who apparently hits the same paths plus some one point dips in other places for the same total cost; wow, "titan" pretenders just don't seem worth it outside of, like, super-high paths maybe. I tended to play scales+paths gods and never really got into bless nations anyway, so that works for me. And yeah, Flaming Arrows combined with Caelian archers seems nasty. Thanks for the tips and the video link, this is very helpful.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 30, 2015

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Libluini posted:

The best mages are Hurin-priests. Why would you go through the trouble of hiring heretical healers if you can just let your mages die instead? I just recently had a mute, diseased Hurin-priest die and come back as a fully healed mummy.

The healers are poo poo, Nazca is a undead nation full of mummies and skeletons, they don't need them

actually i think you will find that the top tier strategy on nazca is to use all of your fort recruitment on making apu to turn into mallquis to make slaves, and researching exclusively with the a1n1 and rushing your closest neighbour with six hundred slave infantry and 20 guys casting phantasmal warrior

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

jsoh posted:

actually i think you will find that the top tier strategy on nazca is to use all of your fort recruitment on making apu to turn into mallquis to make slaves, and researching exclusively with the a1n1 and rushing your closest neighbour with six hundred slave infantry and 20 guys casting phantasmal warrior

I prefer killing everyone, sometimes including enemies

It's a win win strategy

Bonus: You don't need to feed skeletons

Edit:

For some reason I'm feeling you're not entirely serious

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

lol if you think you need to feed slaves

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
This mod nation is fun
http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/ea-sargassia-kelp-and-coral

Rhavviepoodle
Oct 2, 2014

bark bark

Great Gray Shrike posted:

Wow, this video is great. I think I might even have a man-crush on Nuclearmonkee after watching that. It's cool watching someone so competent and astute. I love Dom4 because its great attention to detail, but having to pay attention to tiny details is also part of what makes the game fatiguing. If only I had some rainbow armor with reinvigoration, I could play Dom4 all day!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rhavviepoodle posted:

Wow, this video is great. I think I might even have a man-crush on Nuclearmonkee after watching that. It's cool watching someone so competent and astute. I love Dom4 because its great attention to detail, but having to pay attention to tiny details is also part of what makes the game fatiguing. If only I had some rainbow armor with reinvigoration, I could play Dom4 all day!

Woah there, dial down the sarcasm a bit before it starts dripping out of your monitor

Rhavviepoodle
Oct 2, 2014

bark bark
I wasn't being sarcastic, though. I watched the entire video and rather enjoyed it. I feel inspired to play Kailasa and Bandar Log now. Maybe even Arco, who knows?

In retrospect, I realize that a lot of people who start a sentence with "Wow" are being sarcastic. I try using it genuinely because I'm not particularly fond of using emotes as props. Didn't mean to come across as sarcastic at all, hehe.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

My plan to waste everyone life 45 minutes at a time with my bad videos is working!!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

so, Vanhere blesses

N9 bless with the tree, or W9N9 bless with the big scary dog?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

so, Vanhere blesses

N9 bless with the tree, or W9N9 bless with the big scary dog?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Don't do what Diabl0 did which is that, haha.

You want a good bless, but you also want to be able to afford more than 2 a turn. So probably a double bless at max. You can also try a single bless + income scales and try to go for that I suppose. I've never managed to get a ponyman nation off the ground effectively so I probably should shut up and let someone who knows what they are doing give the advice.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
W9 is the only Van bless

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

These are the games we play.

Im going to lose but so are the other 5 people invading me

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Diabl0658 posted:

Im going to lose but so are the other 5 people invading me

The AvP strategy is a Legit and Good strategy in this game we call Dominions.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Elfsaredicks

Dominions 4: The Wild Hunt

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

:bravo:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Nice scripting lol

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

jBrereton posted:

Nice scripting lol

I'm pretty sure that was a global effect, not a scripted Lord of the Hunt.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A new Dom4-video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mysxPNwZQIA

UNDEAD DUEL. Two mage stacks enter, only one leaves.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Libluini posted:

A new Dom4-video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mysxPNwZQIA

UNDEAD DUEL. Two mage stacks enter, only one leaves.

Alas, when you are underneath a 4 man dogpile, it is hard to script armies that can fight multiple adjacent enemy armies simultaneously and win.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Alas, when you are underneath a 4 man dogpile, it is hard to script armies that can fight multiple adjacent enemy armies simultaneously and win.

Don't be sad, I think that global storm wrecking everything is the main reason your mages couldn't run. (I forgot to check if they were fatigued out.)

At least this was a clean battle with a clear winner and a nice gimmick, ideal to make a video out of it and show it to other people. I also totally forgot my mages were all priests, so the moment that divine blessing gave everyone my minor Earth-bless, they were practically running under auto-relief and could cast more often.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

please if you are going to do a video like that turn on the colours so its decipherable . also please do your ermor turn

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

jsoh posted:

please if you are going to do a video like that turn on the colours so its decipherable . also please do your ermor turn

I did, the game crashed right after I hit "end turn"

Edit:

Seriously, the timer on Ermor hasn't changed since yesterday, that game is MIA.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Man, why is there no slothpower tag for modding?

I was halfway through making a new nation when I realized that a large part of the gimmick I wanted to do was impossible. A nation of perpetually sleepy people who were slow and weak (from being half asleep), but weakened or fatigued on hit to balance it out. Sleeping mages that had really good reinvigoration, but terrible precision to balance it out.

Probably wouldn't even be a good race, but I like the concept. A kinder and gentler R'leyh if you will.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Libluini posted:

I did, the game crashed right after I hit "end turn"

Edit:

Seriously, the timer on Ermor hasn't changed since yesterday, that game is MIA.

oh, rip

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Wow, my Skinshifters have yet to find a strength 7 indie province that 15-25 of them cannot demolish. Is there anything else worth building as MA Vanheim without a worthwhile bless?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Deki posted:

Man, why is there no slothpower tag for modding?
The tag Yomi always needed.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The Bramble posted:

Wow, my Skinshifters have yet to find a strength 7 indie province that 15-25 of them cannot demolish. Is there anything else worth building as MA Vanheim without a worthwhile bless?

With a good bless Vans are loving hilarious. Put Vanjarls or Vanadrotts in command for maximum killfrenzy.

Skinshifters are a good back-up plan, though.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Libluini posted:

Don't be sad, I think that global storm wrecking everything is the main reason your mages couldn't run. (I forgot to check if they were fatigued out.)

At least this was a clean battle with a clear winner and a nice gimmick, ideal to make a video out of it and show it to other people. I also totally forgot my mages were all priests, so the moment that divine blessing gave everyone my minor Earth-bless, they were practically running under auto-relief and could cast more often.

Good video but needed Rules of Nature or an anime opening theme. 4/5

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

The Bramble posted:

Well once you have combat magic you probably want to build your cheapo units because they're significantly less expensive so you don't feel bad when you lose 50

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Libluini posted:

Also Illwinter went up that turn and added a ton of fatigue to every spellcast, decreasing skelespam rate by like 30% :suicide:

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I have succeeded in all my goals in Geneva! Success!

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I finally went and mashed the end turn button for a long rear end time on Deism to wrap it up. This was the game where everyone was AId at turn 36 and the end turn button was mashed until I gave up on turn 280.

In an uninteresting twist, the final three nations of Patala, Tien Chi and Caelum ceased all aggressive actions and apparently declared joint victory. Though Tien Chi had literally thousands of highly capable troops vs Patala's thousands of naked monkeys or Caelums thousands of independent Pale Ones (in cold 3 no less :lol:), it did not crush the other two nations and opted for peaceful joint rule. This peace extended for like 50 turns before I gave up and stopped hitting end turn.

Here are the very dumb graphs for a very dumb game. No I do not know why the income graph is so loving weird. It's the AI.

Maybe given another 300 turns it would domkill the other two but even Patala's dominion stabilized over the last few dozen turns.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
i win!

• Locked thread