Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Lurdiak posted:

So's film-making in general, you still have to abide by rules or you get a hosed up end result.

Canon is a crutch, an anchor. Plenty of good things came out of disregarding canon, nothing good came out of it.

The movie, the story, is more important than the minutia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Canon is a crutch, an anchor. Plenty of good things came out of disregarding canon, nothing good came out of it.

You keep saying these things like they're facts, but you're wrong. It's ok though, lots of people have bad views on film-making.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

You keep saying these things like they're facts, but you're wrong. It's ok though, lots of people have bad views on film-making.

I keep saying these things because they're true. It seems more and more these days people care about pointless minutia and continuity, without taking the time to actually watch the movie.

A good sequel is one where the team liked the first one, and got an idea for a movie out of it. And if it ends up conflicting with the original who cares if it's a good movie?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

MonsieurChoc posted:

I keep saying these things because they're true. It seems more and more these days people care about pointless minutia and continuity, without taking the time to actually watch the movie.

A good sequel is one where the team liked the first one, and got an idea for a movie out of it. And if it ends up conflicting with the original who cares if it's a good movie?

But then just make your own good movie.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

MonsieurChoc posted:

It only matters when it's so jarring it involuntarily takes you out of the story. But uht oh, everyone everyone has a different threshold for that (no matter how much they try to "turn your brain off and and just enjoy it" or whatever you're advocating) so chucking out all intratextual continuity out the window might not always be a great idea? There, I solved this very bad and dumb argument.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Lurdiak posted:

Alien is non-canon.

John Hurt gets a bunch of wormy intestine things whipped at his face and then, suddenly, it's some kind of crab.

That's a continuity error.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Why cookie Rocket posted:

It only matters when it's so jarring it involuntarily takes you out of the story. But uht oh, everyone everyone has a different threshold for that (no matter how much they try to "turn your brain off and and just enjoy it" or whatever you're advocating) so chucking out all intratextual continuity out the window might not always be a great idea? There, I solved this very bad and dumb argument.

Nah, I'm advocating turning on your brain and enjoying it.

I think what happens is people don't understand what I'm saying and see it as an attack on them and the way they like stuff. It's not. It's simply to realize that these fictional universes are not real: they're never going to be consistent and ultimately it doesn't matter if they are. All the different EUs are is a bunch of fans (and paid hacks) decided to tell more stories related to one that was great/marked the imagination. Look at Robin Hood: what started as one simple story morphed into a huge saga full of characters that did not originally belong with each other. And there's a ton of contradixctions and continuity errors. But it doesn't matter ebcause Robin Hood is awesome and I can enjoy all these different takes for what they are.

Look the Alien "franchise": there's pretty much no canon there, all movies and comics contradict each other. Nothing fits. And it works fine.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

http://www.avclub.com/article/it-might-be-game-over-man-neill-blomkamps-alien-mo-227703

Kinda glad it might be dead. As much as I want to see a Neill Blomkamp Alien movie, I really don't want the whole thing to be about "fixing past mistakes". Go forward. Show me something new.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Elysium was a dumpster fire and his concept art for it kinda blew but honestly noone else of worth is going to touch this franchise anytime soon so might as well just let him do it. Just hire someone else to do a last minute edit and take out whatever political poo poo he puts in.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm glad, if it comes down to either/or I'd much rather get more Prometheus films directed by Scott than whatever Blomkamp was going to cook up.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

zVxTeflon posted:

Elysium was a dumpster fire and his concept art for it kinda blew but honestly noone else of worth is going to touch this franchise anytime soon so might as well just let him do it. Just hire someone else to do a last minute edit and take out whatever political poo poo he puts in.

Alien: A franchise completely devoid of political satire.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Conspiracy theory: Ridley added "Alien" to the title of Prometheus 2 specifically to torpedo Blomkamp's movie.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

No, he's actually entirely correct. There is no point where 'canon' makes a movie better and in fact many movies are improved by disregarding canon. Like straight-up, this isn't an argument. There is no point where "This is thematically appropriate for the story" vs "this is canon" works out better when you pick canon.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

No, he's actually entirely correct. There is no point where 'canon' makes a movie better and in fact many movies are improved by disregarding canon. Like straight-up, this isn't an argument. There is no point where "This is thematically appropriate for the story" vs "this is canon" works out better when you pick canon.

In other mediums, I may argue this, but the structure of films in general makes canon possibly more useless there than anywhere else.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

david_a posted:

Conspiracy theory: Ridley added "Alien" to the title of Prometheus 2 specifically to torpedo Blomkamp's movie.

I guarantee you that "Alien" was appended to Prometheus 2 because Fox desperately wants franchises and so it could have an easier job marketing the thing.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Timby posted:

I guarantee you that "Alien" was appended to Prometheus 2 because Fox desperately wants franchises and so it could have an easier job marketing the thing.

Also, that Blomkamp's film has been postponed because a studio doesn't want to compete against itself.

"Pending Prometheus 2" means "pending the release and financial success of Prometheus 2", and Blomkamp has clarified that he'll simply be working on other projects in the interim instead of just sitting around - which would obviously create scheduling conflicts to work around.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Studio: Neil we would like you to helm the new alien film and bring it back to its former glory

Blomkamp: that's great and I've got some awesome ideas how to get the film to take place in South Africa and deal with politicdjgngjdisncnc

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Oh no not politics.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

God can you imagine if someone tried to make aliens political? Imagine some god drat sjw jamming "strong female characters" down our throats for an action movie, or a bunch of lefttards putting in tired anti-corporate and anti-military propaganda. Can we keep aliens pure please?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Well, you know what they say: A conservative is just a liberal who's been attacked by aliens

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Parker: Uh, before we dock, I think we oughta discuss the bonus situation.
Brett: Right.
Parker: Brett and I, we think we oughta - we deserve full shares, right baby?
Brett: Right. You see, Mr. Parker and I feel that the bonus situation has never been on a-an equitable level.
Dallas: Well, you get what you're contracted for like everybody else.
Brett: Yes, but everybody else, uh, gets more than us.
- Alien, 1979, not political in the slightest

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If you told me this was real I'd absolutely believe it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I like that there are 3 Alien films that connect with each other. It adds up to a really potent story. Canon is good.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Please don't let Ann Coulter watch Aliens. She's not allowed because she's evil and doesn't deserve nice things.

This also goes for fake Ann Coulter.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Lady Naga posted:

Brett: Right. You see, Mr. Parker and I feel that the bonus situation has never been on a-an equitable level.

I liked that scene.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CelticPredator posted:

I like that there are 3 Alien films that connect with each other. It adds up to a really potent story. Canon is good.

They connect but their connection is not integral.

If you watched Aliens without seeing Alien, you would have a great experience. Likewise if you watched Alien without seeing Aliens. If you watched The Hobbit Part 2 without seeing Part 1 you would be fairly confused, and if you watched Parts 1 & 2 but didn't see Part 3 you would feel incredibly blueballed.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Basebf555 posted:

I'm glad, if it comes down to either/or I'd much rather get more Prometheus films directed by Scott than whatever Blomkamp was going to cook up.

I couldn't disagree more.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Lurdiak posted:

I couldn't disagree more.

Same. Can't help but think Ridley's Alien: Hubris2 is going to be incredibly lovely.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Lady Naga posted:

Proof that people have been getting exactly what they asked for, then complaining about the fairness of it, for at least 36 years.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The best part is Ash's response (prompted by Dallas who cannot control his crew), where he outlines that failure to comply results in "...total forfeiture of shares"

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
LOL Blomkamp's alien is canned and we now get Alien: Paradise Lost. Sequel to a lovely lovely movie.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tenzarin posted:

LOL Blomkamp's alien is canned and we now get Alien: Paradise Lost. Sequel to a lovely lovely movie.

In fairness, Blomkamp's films are very rarely good and Prometheus was good.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Tenzarin posted:

It's actually a sequel to a really really good movie

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Hang on let me get my space flute out.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes
How many arguments about Prometheus is this for you, Lieutenant?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've actually never seen Prometheus, all my opinions on it are just from simulated viewings.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Steve2911 posted:

In fairness, Blomkamp's films are very rarely good and Prometheus was good.

Both are good.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I did think Chappie got worse as it went on and is the weakest of his movies. It just felt like it passed the point where Chappie or one of the other characters would stop putting up with Ninja's bullshit. Like a sitcom where everything resets to the status quo after each episode except there was still a second half of the movie to go. Still really cool like his other works, I like them all a lot. :)

Also whether Prometheus 2 is huge or bombs I seriously doubt Blomkamp's Alien is totally dead. They just want to (understandably) not have two separate Alien flicks coming out or being made close together when each will easily do $$$ and warrant their own share of marketing and stuff.

Tenzarin posted:

Hang on let me get my space flute out.

I'm sorry overt references to the mythology we built up around Orpheus, titans, Ymir, etc. were too much for you. Someone plays a flute to summon forth a visage of the world and knowledge and all that, a totally bizarre concept humanity has never thought of before, so weird.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 3, 2015

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'll be very interested to see how the perception of Prometheus changes(or doesn't) in the next 10-20 years. Right now its just accepted in mainstream media to trash it and make sarcastic comments about it, or throw it out as a known example of a lovely sequel. I wonder if/when that worm will start to turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Eventually after Ridley Scott passes on and the franchise dies down a bit again Fox will drop a blu-ray set with the four Alien flicks and these Prometheii in one package and make it so. Like Alien 3 (though of course thanks to it being available in its substantially different work print) a new appreciation will be found for it. You'll see people here who spent pages and pages talking about how "lol why didn't she just run sideways to avoid the space ship so stupid" praising its Lovecraftian tone and special effects prowess. Fifeld werewolf/gayness will be come absolute canon like how it took the internet decades to "figure out" Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge, etc.