Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Rickety Cricket posted:

So Captain and FO displays operate on independent AHRS systems? Is the ADC the same?

CA and FO have independent AHRS and ADC. In the event that something fails you can turn a knob that makes both CA/FO displays display data from AHRS/ADC 1/2 as appropriate. There is also a standby instrument that uses it's own small display, an internal AHRS, and a 3rd isolated pitot static system.

(Knobs can be seeing immediately "above" the landing gear manual extension handle.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
What's that photo of? The orange panels especially look... rather bodged.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
CRJ of some sort?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

The Ferret King posted:

The air traffic system in the U.S. is largely pavement-limited. So, any opportunity to use more pavement is a welcome one. Just have to stagger everything to prevent the obvious meet-in-the-middle of the runways risks.

Winds and other weather can preclude using certain runway configurations, or certain simultaneous parallel operations, so that's just one of many reasons that delays go sky-high when the weather gets crummy.

Topically, fog is big pain for San Francisco as you lose your parallel runways, etc.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Brovine posted:

What's that photo of? The orange panels especially look... rather bodged.

A good guess with the CRJ:

Bombardier CRJ-700 (CL-600-2C10) Flight test aircraft

That orange crap is for the test pilots. Gotta test deep stalls yo.

quote:

Kansas, August 16, 2000

This photo shows the aft center pedestal of one of two CRJ-700 prototypes in Wichita during the flight test program. The spin chute control panel is used to deploy a ballistic parachute located in the aircraft tailcone. The chute enables the aircraft to recover from deep stalls and spins and is only found on flight test aircraft. The other orange panels allow the test pilots to initiate functions not necessarily available to pilots of production aircraft.

I like the EVENT button. It probably just makes a spike in a log so that the pilot can reference to engineers when the plane did something weird.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
spin chute :smuggo:

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

0toShifty posted:

I like the EVENT button. It probably just makes a spike in a log so that the pilot can reference to engineers when the plane did something weird.

We have one of those on the T-45 and it does exactly that.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

0toShifty posted:

A good guess with the CRJ:

Bombardier CRJ-700 (CL-600-2C10) Flight test aircraft

That orange crap is for the test pilots. Gotta test deep stalls yo.

The Q400 also has an event button (that does exactly what you described), except the airplane has enough reliability issues that pushing it is part of our normal climb checklist, and we also have about a dozen other "that's not supposed to do that" items that require pushing of the event marker.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
In vaguely related news, apparently Bombardier is hemorrhaging money at a furious rate and the government of Quebec propped it up to the tune of $1 billion, so we all get to eventually experience the magnificence that is the C-Series.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Am I the only person that gets annoyed hearing/reading GA pilots talking and referencing "the mission" when talking about their airplanes and needs? Example, what plane fits the "mission" of flying their kids and family to and fro. I mean, I know what the definition is and it fits, it just irks me.

Tide fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 30, 2015

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tide posted:

Am I the only person that gets annoyed hearing/reading GA pilots talking and referencing "the mission" when talking about their airplanes and needs? Example, what plane fits the "mission" of flying their kids and family to and fro. I mean, I know what the definition is and it fits, it just irks me.

There's a chain of FBOs called "TAC Air"

That ship has sailed. Er, plane has pushed back?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

hobbesmaster posted:

There's a chain of FBOs called "TAC Air"

That ship has sailed. Er, plane has pushed back?

TAC Air is an American chain of fixed-base operators operated by Truman Arnold Companies.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TAC_Air

e: at centennial they always have Oreos

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

Tide posted:

Defining what capabilities you need is really important when you buy something.

Look up the definition of a mission statement and tell me it does accurately describe what people do when looking to buy a plane.

But feel free to be irked.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

helno posted:

Defining what capabilities you need is really important when you buy something.

Look up the definition of a mission statement and tell me it does accurately describe what people do when looking to buy a plane.

But feel free to be irked.

Mission: synonyms are : assignment, expedition, journey, trip, undertaking

Don't understand the irkness

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Been applying at various flight schools around the area and they're all like nah, we're not hiring right now, because it's almost winter. :negative:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Storms throughout Texas over the past couple days have caused a lot of severe flooding.

The air traffic control tower/approach control at Austin Bergstrom International flooded yesterday and had to be evacuated. The ATC facility handles an area about 40NM around Austin and is closed until repairs can be made.

Houston Center, which doesn't have radar coverage to the ground in Austin, has taken over approach functions. The lack of radar severely restricts efficiency so the delays and cancellations are mounting. Without a tower, AUS becomes nearly a 1 in 1 out operation, which is a far slower pace than normal.

The FAA is transporting a temporary tower from Kansas City, which will help a little bit. These are collapsible tower structures that can be trailered to any location and are fitted with portable tranceivers.

No clue how long the approach control will remain inoperative. Water damage will surely be complicated to fix.

Link below to a news story, but I think I covered most of it above:

http://www.kvue.com/story/news/local/2015/10/30/flooding-damages-air-traffic-control-abia/74893954/

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Ugh, I'm glad I wont be flying near that. That time the nutjob burned down Chicago Center I had to file an ASAP for to a TCAS resolution advisory due to ATC running us around like headless chickens.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
When you're deaf, blind, and dumb, things get bad in a hurry.

We lost all radios for half our facility a few weeks ago, and the area is too far away for portable transceivers to work. Some construction crew cut a data line or something. It was a great day to be off.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

The Ferret King posted:

The FAA is transporting a temporary tower from Kansas City, which will help a little bit. These are collapsible tower structures that can be trailered to any location and are fitted with portable tranceivers.

No clue how long the approach control will remain inoperative. Water damage will surely be complicated to fix.

Does it look anything like Nantucket's temporary tower? This thing.... wow.....

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
The truck hauling the portable tower broke down 80 miles from Austin.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

AWSEFT posted:

Does it look anything like Nantucket's temporary tower? This thing.... wow.....

Yes that's the sort of thing. I've never seen them elevated on containers like that. They are usually flat on the ground for emergency situations, and stuff like airshows at non towered airports.

two_beer_bishes posted:

The truck hauling the portable tower broke down 80 miles from Austin.

Oh my god, hahaha. Where'd you hear that?

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

e.pilot posted:

Been applying at various flight schools around the area and they're all like nah, we're not hiring right now, because it's almost winter. :negative:

Come to the East Coast. We're hurting

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

The Ferret King posted:

Oh my god, hahaha. Where'd you hear that?

My wife's a dispatcher and she's been kept in the loop.

two_beer_bishes fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 1, 2015

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Ferret King posted:

Storms throughout Texas over the past couple days have caused a lot of severe flooding.

The air traffic control tower/approach control at Austin Bergstrom International flooded yesterday and had to be evacuated. The ATC facility handles an area about 40NM around Austin and is closed until repairs can be made.

Houston Center, which doesn't have radar coverage to the ground in Austin, has taken over approach functions. The lack of radar severely restricts efficiency so the delays and cancellations are mounting. Without a tower, AUS becomes nearly a 1 in 1 out operation, which is a far slower pace than normal.

Link below to a news story, but I think I covered most of it above:

http://www.kvue.com/story/news/local/2015/10/30/flooding-damages-air-traffic-control-abia/74893954/

In theory, my area takes over T75(STL approach) in the event they go down. It would not be pretty. I don't even want to imagine it.

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

I ended up cutting the 2 hours of the flooding at Bergstrom down to about 8min. It starts with a ground stop and ends when they requested someone contact the national guard and to bring high water rescue equipment.

https://soundcloud.com/epicdistraction/kaus2-oct-30-2015-1430z-1600z

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
A Cirrus went down today and the parachute kept it intact:

http://www.4029tv.com/news/fire-department-plane-down-near-fayetteville-high-school/36229208

Someone caught it on video at the bottom of that news article.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Well obviously he wouldn't have crashed if he didn't have an airframe parachute. :bahgawd:

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
First time poster in this thread...

First off, thanks for the first post. Lots of good info there, and I've enjoyed reading it.

My main question - I'm in a stable career now in IT and I'm 31 years old. I'm considering changing careers and becoming a pilot. It seems like I could spend a few years as PP before making the cutover, but is it worth it?

Has anyone seen someone become a commercial pilot who is a geriatric like me?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

dexter6 posted:

First off, thanks for the first post. Lots of good info there, and I've enjoyed reading it.

My main question - I'm in a stable career now in IT and I'm 31 years old. I'm considering changing careers and becoming a pilot. It seems like I could spend a few years as PP before making the cutover, but is it worth it?

Get your private and fly for fun unless you really hate having money.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

dexter6 posted:

I'm literally in the process of doing exactly this, except I was 28 (30 now) when I started.

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth

AWSEFT posted:

Haven't seen an airplane take itself off yet and only a few can competently autoland. Two pilots is really about redundancy, every system in the plane has a backup (and sometimes another backup). Plus, its a lot easier to catch a mistake when there is two of you.

The Locator posted:

Every once in a while, the organic flight system controller ceases to function and the secondary organic backup system needs to take over.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34453146
Thank you for humoring me.

KodiakRS posted:

Brace for wall of :words:
Thank you for your in-depth yet accessible response. it seems like there are definitely a lot of edge cases in plane piloting!

What about the possibility of remote piloting? I assume that currently a remote control subsystem would be yet another thing that would break & fail in thunderstorms; and the liability costs would heavily offset the savings of allowing one skilled pilot to fly multiple planes at once. Do you think this is accurate?

Thanks & cheers!

GHOST EDIT: I'm not a systems engineer or a STARTUP LORD looking for new fields to automate or anything. Just interested in The Future and finding out how long until the robots come for my job too!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Ryanair tried to talk Boeing into making newer 737s able to be flown with one pilot a few years ago. No sale.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Have successfully sold the idea to the boss (wife) that buying a plane is better than renting.

It is a good day.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

froward posted:

What about the possibility of remote piloting? I assume that currently a remote control subsystem would be yet another thing that would break & fail in thunderstorms; and the liability costs would heavily offset the savings of allowing one skilled pilot to fly multiple planes at once. Do you think this is accurate?

The VAST majority of drones are already remote piloted, there are only a few that are fully autonomous. I have no clue how ground->drone communication is done or what happens when communication is interrupted. Having said that, remote piloting passenger flights is still probably a long way off although mostly for economic reasons rather than technical limitations. The economic advantage of drones is that you don't have to carry all the things necessary to keep humans alive at 36,000' which saves a BUNCH of weight and complexity. This is OK for the military where you're passengers are bombs and cameras but not so much when you have to carry a few hundred passengers. The only cost savings is the few hundred LBS you save on each flight by moving the pilots and all their necessary equipment to the ground somewhere, which is probably offset somewhat by the cost of the ground-> drone communication system. Cargo carriers on the other hand will probably start to be automatically/remotley piloted within the next few decades.

TL;DR Remotely piloted airliners are technically, but not economically, feasible.

Tide posted:

Have successfully sold the idea to the boss (wife) that buying a plane is better than renting.

It is a good day.
I'm sorry to hear about your impending bankruptcy and divorce.

dexter6 posted:

It seems like I could spend a few years as PP before making the cutover, but is it worth it?

Short answer: No
Long answer: Noooooooooooooooooo
Non Comedy Answer: Your initial training will cost $50,000 on the very VERY low end. Realistically you're looking at $75k-$100K and 1-2 years if you're working a full time job on the side. That will give you about 300 hours. Assuming you want to become an airline pilot, you need 1500 hours to get your ATP so you either need to pay for the time (Another $100K) or get some sort of a non-airline commercial pilot gig which usually pay very little and can be difficult to find. So you do that for a few years and finally get to the airlines, it's taken you at least 3 years and cost more than a house but you've finally made it...to another horrible job. Starting airline pilots make roughly $25k-$30k their fist year and ~$35k for a few years after that. Those numbers are not typos. Hopefully you can upgrade to captain, based entirely on company seniority, or get hired by a major airline within a few years. In the meantime you'll be spending 300+ hours away from home a month which is roughly double that of a normal 9-5 job, have an insane sleep schedule (LOL circadian rhythm), and will probably end up divorcing your spouse. Of course anything like a terrorist attack, economic downturn, gas price surge, ect will bring your career progression to a screeching halt and possibly result in you losing your job.

You're also going to die early.

TL;DR Look at the thread title.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

Tide posted:

It is a good day.

Great news,

What are you looking at?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Not looking at anything fancy. PA28 or something like that. Warrior II. Maybe a Mooney.

KodiakRS posted:

I'm sorry to hear about your impending bankruptcy and divorce.

Haha, no doubt. She's for it, though, once I showed her the numbers. What we're spending a month on rental could easily pay for a plane that we own. She's wanting to get her PPL as well.

I'm not against getting a partner, though.

Stipulation is that we have to sell our rental house, which will provide the purchase price and 'well that's more expensive than I thought' :homebrew: inevitable repair and maintenance costs. I don't really want to sell the rental house as it provides a nice side income but I don't want to finance a plane either. Hell, I don't know if I could finance a 25-30 year old money pit. I'm pretty sure I could get a loan, but nah. If I have one thing going for me is that one of my best friends is an A&P, so that will help out a bit.

Tide fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 5, 2015

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Selling an appreciating income generating asset to buy a depreciating money sucking pit sounds like a great financial decision.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Selling an appreciating income generating asset to buy a depreciating money sucking pit sounds like a great financial decision.

So it tossing money down the airplane rental well.

Hell, getting my PPL and then going for IFR, etc isn't the greatest financial decision. Plus it's not like the rental doesn't have its own costs in the near future (roof, probably an AC, etc).

Tide fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 5, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

INTJ Mastermind posted:

If the money-sucking pit replaces an even deeper money-sucking pit (frequent aircraft rentals) to make up the difference, then maybe. There has to be a break-even level, or else literally no one would rent aircraft out at the prices that they do. I still have my doubts it's a wise financial decision, mind you (3F rule and all that).

EDIT: And, yeah, no part of aviation has ever been a wise financial decision, so there's that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The rental property basically pays for airplane rental costs we incur. So, it's break even, sometimes not. I just hate the feeling that I'm throwing money away on a rental.

I would rather NOT sell the property and just wait a bit longer to buy a plane. Hell, I won't be buying one in the next 6 months to a year anyway. The house is rented and the lease won't be up until May. And they may exercise an lease option for another 6 months. I can't do anything until they are out anyway. Not a bad position to be in financially, I'll admit.

Realistically, in three...maaaaaaybe two years depending on how much I cut some frivolous expenses and get really aggressive in saving...I could have the cash to buy a plane outright based on the budget I'm looking at spending ($40-50K). Then let the house pay for the aviation expenses. Sell the house, obviously, gets me more plane and more reserve.

• Locked thread