Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
What's bad is, at least in our field, if you a actually enjoy doing what you do in the army, then the best thing to do is get out and do it as a civilian. I've worked with so many former 33s who liked the crap they worked on but didn't want to play gently caress gently caress games anymore. When the option is get screwed over and treated like a child or get more freedom and more money... not a hard choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Aranan posted:

What's bad is, at least in our field, if you a actually enjoy doing what you do in the army, then the best thing to do is get out and do it as a civilian. I've worked with so many former 33s who liked the crap they worked on but didn't want to play gently caress gently caress games anymore. When the option is get screwed over and treated like a child or get more freedom and more money... not a hard choice.

25 series retention had got to be pretty garbage, too since entry level jobs in most of those fields starts at $50k

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 30, 2015

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

The biggest gently caress you you can give to the army is to get out after 3 years and get a highly marketable degree and make more after 5 years than your SGM made after 20

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

SumYungGui posted:

Seriously the best thing you can ever do to get back at every rear end in a top hat you ever meet in the military is to get out. Just get out, and every time you even get close to getting mad just think of them still being in.

Or retire early, get a sweet job with a contractor, and then laugh at them while they bag your groceries at the Commissary.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Screw being a government contractor. Go private sector and free yourself from the stupidity of the DoD. As a bonus, your coworkers that are veterans won't pretend that they're still in the military.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Or just don't give two shits about what anyone you don't like thinks and just be happy with life.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Booblord Zagats posted:

Or just don't give two shits about what anyone you don't like thinks and just be happy with life.

I'm already doing this. It's making the last 6 months of drill go by easier.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

psydude posted:

Screw being a government contractor. Go private sector and free yourself from the stupidity of the DoD. As a bonus, your coworkers that are veterans won't pretend that they're still in the military.

Being a DoD contractor is a mixed bag, like anything involving the DoD. On the medical side, I absolutely love where I work and we actually accomplish things.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Does the Army still issue the solid green nomex I see some of the ABOLC cadre wearing? Seems way more comfortable than the ACU pattern stuff we got issued. Not that it matters since last Tuesday was the last time I'll see the inside of an Abrams.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mustang posted:

Does the Army still issue the solid green nomex I see some of the ABOLC cadre wearing? Seems way more comfortable than the ACU pattern stuff we got issued. Not that it matters since last Tuesday was the last time I'll see the inside of an Abrams.

Nope. ACU jumpsuits for everybody new.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Can't believe the army switched to the ACU nomex. The green ones a lot of the cadre wear look practically brand new despite probably being old as gently caress while ABOLC students get brand new ACU nomex and the rear end flap or whatever you want to call it rips within days of wearing it for the first time, same for the few cadre that wear the ACU nomex. The ACU nomex is a complete and utter piece of poo poo.

However despite the lovely nomex driving an Abrams is loving awesome and being a gunner in an Abrams while it goes through lovely terrain makes me motion sick. I just wish I got to run over some trees but for some reason the cadre didn't want us doing that.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mustang posted:

I just wish I got to run over some trees but for some reason the cadre didn't want us doing that.

Tress have leaves and vines and small flexible branches that end up in the drive sprocket. So if you like pulling poo poo out of the sprocket or fixing thrown track by all means run over trees.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Makes sense, didn't know that could happen. Wasn't given a reason, just not to do it.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

And what do you mean won't be in an Abrams again? Did you already do Gauntlet?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Which one of you is this?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
similated

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

For my class at STX you spend half of it in tanks and half as scouts. When we go to CME next week all the LTs going to IBCTs and SBCTs will spend their entire time doing scout missions and the ABCT guys will only be doing tank missions. Apparently 74 LTs is a big class and they want to make sure everyone gets to be a PL for the type of unit they're going to.

The ABOLC classes after mine will be a lot different. The guys in Phase 1 right now have already done 6 OPORD briefs while my class did only 2 before we head went to STX. Not sure how Phase 2 and 3 will be for them.

edit: but yeah I'll effectively be done with ABOLC traing on Nov 13th and heading to ARC in January.

Mustang fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 1, 2015

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Have fun at Gauntlet. It's pretty gay.

PS bring two cartons of smokes and you'll be everybody's pal by day 5

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Haha I don't think there's a single smoker in the class but a ton of people dip. You can tell where my class has been because the ground is covered in dip spit.

Honestly it's pretty disgusting.

I might bring some anyway even if I do look like a weirdo to all dudes that dip all day.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Mustang posted:

Haha I don't think there's a single smoker in the class but a ton of people dip. You can tell where my class has been because the ground is covered in dip spit.

Honestly it's pretty disgusting.

I might bring some anyway even if I do look like a weirdo to all dudes that dip all day.

When people run out of dip they will smoke. But take some logs and sell those.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
just bring carrot sticks in case some classmates have allergies :3

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Shooting a round from an Abrams was one of the better experiences I had as a cadet. Is the Stryker MGS still a thing or are those pretty rare to see rolling around nowadays? I saw one at Knox years ago and haven't seen one since.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Still a thing, not sure how many they have in a SBCT though. I pray to god they don't send me to an MGS platoon.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Tress have leaves and vines and small flexible branches that end up in the drive sprocket. So if you like pulling poo poo out of the sprocket or fixing thrown track by all means run over trees.

I had to clean that poo poo out after I knocked over some trees and ran through 8 feet of water at about 40 mph.

Don't give a gently caress, 10/10 would gently caress poo poo up again.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Mustang posted:

Can't believe the army switched to the ACU nomex. The green ones a lot of the cadre wear look practically brand new despite probably being old as gently caress while ABOLC students get brand new ACU nomex and the rear end flap or whatever you want to call it rips within days of wearing it for the first time, same for the few cadre that wear the ACU nomex. The ACU nomex is a complete and utter piece of poo poo.

However despite the lovely nomex driving an Abrams is loving awesome and being a gunner in an Abrams while it goes through lovely terrain makes me motion sick. I just wish I got to run over some trees but for some reason the cadre didn't want us doing that.

That the old pickle suit you are talking about?

I assume they got rid of it because it was comfortable as gently caress and everyone else probably bitched about not getting cool poo poo like tankers. So we now have the ACU onesie, which never has enough room in the dick area even if everything else fits.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man
Just found out one of my best friends from my time is Iraq went to jail last year for rape.
I'm surprised how distressing this is to me, I've known more than a few people from my unit that have turn into major gently caress-ups but none I was actually close with.

I can't say the Army did this to him, but I guess I'd like to.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I know what you mean. One of my best friends from Iraq got 4 years when he got drunk and beat up his girlfriend. Truthfully nicest dude sober. Would starve so you could eat type of person. Get him drunk and he is explosively violent. The girl was pregnant, and apparently the argument was that he kid wasn't his. She was married, and they were just doing the normal gently caress buddy thing. He called he police on himself, and hearing that 911 call was loving surreal. He was so matter of fact about the whole thing. "You guys should probably come out here. I just beat the poo poo out of my girlfriend." Etc.

I also had a guy I would frequent bars with when I was doing training in Mannheim kill a dude by snapping his neck, got pulled over for a DUI while the dead dude was in the passenger seat. He finally got convicted and is serving life. That poo poo hosed me up more than anything cause it's like, that feeling that it could have been you. Dude did it on a whim basically, and they worked together.
The whole thing was weird and complicated, like Germany withholding evidence of the autopsy and poo poo.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Weekend at Bernie's 3: Bernie Goes to Boot Camp

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Soulex posted:

I also had a guy I would frequent bars with when I was doing training in Mannheim kill a dude by snapping his neck, got pulled over for a DUI while the dead dude was in the passenger seat. He finally got convicted and is serving life. That poo poo hosed me up more than anything cause it's like, that feeling that it could have been you. Dude did it on a whim basically, and they worked together.
The whole thing was weird and complicated, like Germany withholding evidence of the autopsy and poo poo.

That's pretty hosed up.

Another guy from my company who was generally regarded as the nicest dude by everyone ended up kidnapping and sexually assaulting some girl a couple years after I got out. He tried to kill her but the gun misfired and he just turned it on himself and committed suicide.
It was so unbelievable that I wrote the journalist from the newspaper I saw the story in and he told me I wasn't the only one that had found it surprising having had known the guy,

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Weekend at Bernie's 3: Bernie Goes to Boot Camp

I would watch that and it would be amazing.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

My medboard process started today :woop::woop:

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Anyone know when the armor branch for officers switched from having 19Bs and 19Cs to just 19A?

not caring here posted:

That the old pickle suit you are talking about?

I assume they got rid of it because it was comfortable as gently caress and everyone else probably bitched about not getting cool poo poo like tankers. So we now have the ACU onesie, which never has enough room in the dick area even if everything else fits.

That must be it. The ACU ones are so lovely that my class has had to schedule time during the training schedule on 3 different days throughout the course for guys to go DX their hosed up nomex.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Soulex posted:

My medboard process started today :woop::woop:

fta smdftb heir hitler/satan

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mustang posted:

Anyone know when the armor branch for officers switched from having 19Bs and 19Cs to just 19A?

No idea. I've got both both 19B and 19A on my records so sometime after 2008.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I'm on terminal leave until 23 NOV and I didnt get paid this pay check. The Army always fucks me :( Now it will probably be like a month before I get it straightened out

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I'm on terminal leave until 23 NOV and I didnt get paid this pay check. The Army always fucks me :( Now it will probably be like a month before I get it straightened out

That sucks. If you're NG or whatever it's probably because it would be your paycheck for the month of October and all the time you did then. If you're active, it's probably because someone is jealous.

MrsAdiabatic
Feb 26, 2015

Gotta get up to get Down's

The Army always fucks me :( Now it will probably be until I ETS until I get it straightened out

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

You don't get your last regular paycheck when separating so they can be sure all deductions and penalties (CIF bills) are processed and applied before they can't dock you anymore. I got my final check within a month of my actual separation date, that one includes your final 1+ month of regular pay, any paid leave, and any separation pay all in one lump.

Finance should have explained this when you did your clearing appointment, or you should have listened.

The Slithery D fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Nov 3, 2015

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
yeah i got this this but this isnt my last paycheck. I should be getting paid until the 23rd, which means i should have 2 more checks after this one. One for 1-15 nov, one for 15-23rd nov.

From what I listened to at finance, I should have expected something with those pay checks, not this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

The Slithery D posted:

You don't get your last regular paycheck when separating so they can be sure all deductions and penalties (CIF bills) are processed and applied before they can't dock you anymore. I got my final check within a month of my actual separation date, that one includes your final 1+ month of regular pay, any paid leave, and any separation pay all in one lump.

Finance should have explained this when you did your clearing appointment, or you should have listened.

Wow, they give you that poo poo in one big lump? How log of a waiting period are we talki about between that. So I can prepare via bills etc.

Also saw this, thought of this thread

• Locked thread