Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I usually dont mind the colors much, but it would be cool to have the possibility to change the map color of any nation if we want it, maybe release some DLC just about that, like the customize DLC from CK2.

I does not affects the gameplay anyway.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Wiz posted:

Some guy tweeted at me and asked me to make Bavaria blue so I did.
Does this mean you'll recolor France to a rainbow if I tweet it?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Zombiepop posted:

This is an approach to game developing I really can appreciate.
Yes just look at MWO.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Wiz posted:

Some guy tweeted at me and asked me to make Bavaria blue so I did. I'd change Prussia but it's grey by Decree of Johan.

I did actually know that. Why do you love such terrible colors Johan?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Bring back toothpaste Germany.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Watching Bob Ross last night reminded me that it's sad that Prussia is in fact not Prussian Blue.

E: although that would make a great achievement name for a cheevo to form Prussia and core all of France

Eej fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 30, 2015

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Wiz posted:

Some guy tweeted at me and asked me to make Bavaria blue so I did. I'd change Prussia but it's grey by Decree of Johan.
Serious question here, how impossible would it be to patch/DLC the game to make map colors customizable while in a campaign? It seems like it would alleviate a lot of these "issues" - provided there are enough colors (and the UI is decent)

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.
How is grey a bad color? At least it's not yellow.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Kanfy posted:

I like how this same question has been asked at least ten times total in these threads. Truth is stranger than fiction indeed.

I'm guilty of this.

I've had a very weak Ottomans ally the Papal State before. I'm pretty sure that didn't happen during the Renaissance!

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Strudel Man posted:

Is, uh, this supposed to happen?

They didn't convert or anything.

Kanfy posted:

I like how this same question has been asked at least ten times total in these threads. Truth is stranger than fiction indeed.

Yeah it's not like the Ottomans participated in the Thirty Years War on the Protestant side or anything :v:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirty_Years%27_War#Ottoman_support

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
The thing that always bugs me about the game, at least when trying to play ironman, is that I always feel like I'm poised on the razor's edge, where one lost war can essentially end the game. At least until I reach a point of truly ridiculous dominance.

Like I tried Teutonic Order -> Prussia again. This time revolutionary rebels made me a constitutional republic around ~1500, which was interesting. Bohemia's been emperor forever, and was the primary obstacle to expanding within germany itself, but I picked up a decent size territory along the coast and in lithuania/poland, so when they got into a war with Hungary and Lithuania and their manpower was briefly exhausted I thought it was finally time to strike.

Sadly, I underestimated their potential manpower, and my slightly better military quality isn't enough. For a peace, they want eight provinces out of my core, which would basically prevent me from ever challenging them again. :| Guess I'm probably going to give the game up.

edit: Oh, and of course their main stack is carrying around a 4/6 general. God I wish lucky nations weren't obligatory.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 30, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Strudel Man posted:

The thing that always bugs me about the game, at least when trying to play ironman, is that I always feel like I'm poised on the razor's edge, where one lost war can essentially end the game. At least until I reach a point of truly ridiculous dominance.

Like I tried Teutonic Order -> Prussia again. This time revolutionary rebels made me a constitutional republic around ~1500, which was interesting. Bohemia's been emperor forever, and was the primary obstacle to expanding within germany itself, but I picked up a decent size territory along the coast and in lithuania/poland, so when they got into a war with Hungary and Lithuania and their manpower was briefly exhausted I thought it was finally time to strike.

Sadly, I underestimated their potential manpower, and my slightly better military quality isn't enough. For a peace, they want eight provinces out of my core, which would basically prevent me from ever challenging them again. :| Guess I'm probably going to give the game up.

edit: Oh, and of course their main stack is carrying around a 4/6 general.

Well in the case of TO you are indeed more or less on a razor's edge because you're sandwiched between the HRE, the terrifying early-game strength of Poland-Lithuania, and possibly ascendant Muscovy. Also Sweden.

TO is a really strong start I would recommend joining the HRE ASAP. Butter up to Austria and add your capital to the HRE, this will make conquering into the Empire vastly easier and adds a layer of protection in that (hopefully) the Emperor will not be completely worthless in defending you when the Poles come knocking.

Also, Lucky Nations don't get bonus leader pips anymore and Bohemia has never been a historical Lucky nation so that is definitely not why they're running with a 4/6 general.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

popewiles posted:

Ethiopia is super fun. Take exploration first to size the Cape and as much of Africa while you can. Race to take Egypt from the Mamluks before the Ottomans can get a mission for it. By the time you're bumping up against the Ottomans you should be big enough to ally the Commonwealth or another major Christian power from across the Mediterranean. Oh and you start with a God-King so you can eke out a tech advantage on all of your neighbors.

Thanks for the tip, I've been wanting to start a new EU4 game.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Pellisworth posted:

Well in the case of TO you are indeed more or less on a razor's edge because you're sandwiched between the HRE, the terrifying early-game strength of Poland-Lithuania, and possibly ascendant Muscovy. Also Sweden.

TO is a really strong start I would recommend joining the HRE ASAP. Butter up to Austria and add your capital to the HRE, this will make conquering into the Empire vastly easier and adds a layer of protection in that (hopefully) the Emperor will not be completely worthless in defending you when the Poles come knocking.

Also, Lucky Nations don't get bonus leader pips anymore and Bohemia has never been a historical Lucky nation so that is definitely not why they're running with a 4/6 general.
Well, they've got the Luck bonus when I hover over their unrest, so I'm pretty sure it's factoring into their ascendancy somehow.

I actually managed to squeak through the early game, though I certainly know the terror of Poland-Lithuania. Their union eventually split up, and I was able to gobble up a lot of Poland itself (it's reduced to two provinces now) plus a few bites out of Lithuania. I'm an HRE member, too; joined as early as I could.

Even non-lucky AI opponents always seem to have pretty great generals, though.

edit: Actually, I guess Poland disappeared without me noticing. Kiev got them. Bohemia must have inherited their luck.

or! Brandenburg's been gone longer. Bohemia probably got it from them.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 30, 2015

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Do the lucky nation bonuses really transfer to a new nation if the original country bites it?

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

LLSix posted:

Do the lucky nation bonuses really transfer to a new nation if the original country bites it?

yes.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah it's not like the Ottomans participated in the Thirty Years War on the Protestant side or anything :v:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirty_Years%27_War#Ottoman_support

Huh? I assume you misread something since that's exactly what I was saying.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

What idea group should I pick next? I finally have a couple of vassals in Northern India that I can probably use for province feeding and so I could spare the ADM points for something like Expansion.

A DIP idea group is not out of the question either but I doubt I'll go so hog wild on vassals that Influence would be worth it.

I wanna westernize at some point so a way into Africa would be nice. A snake through the ME and the Ottomans sounds incredibly tedious.

Military is right out because after Quantity my number one concern is technological parity.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

LLSix posted:

I've seen Malwa and Ming as lucky nations (in Ironman, on Historical), so I'm guessing yes.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Antti posted:

What idea group should I pick next? I finally have a couple of vassals in Northern India that I can probably use for province feeding and so I could spare the ADM points for something like Expansion.

A DIP idea group is not out of the question either but I doubt I'll go so hog wild on vassals that Influence would be worth it.

I wanna westernize at some point so a way into Africa would be nice. A snake through the ME and the Ottomans sounds incredibly tedious.

Military is right out because after Quantity my number one concern is technological parity.

That thumbnail looks like Tony Blair answering the phone with his huge brown hand

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

PittTheElder posted:

That policy is a hell of a lot worse for a non-Western nation though, because you need those military points that much more.

Well that's because there aren't really 12 phases. What that is is a Length of Siege modifier. How sieges work is that as long as you have the minimum number of men to maintain a siege, the siege progress counter tricks up. Once this is filled (an average of 28 days or something, loads of modifiers) a Siege Tick takes place. Dice are rolled, and according to how well you rolled, modified by the other numbers in the siege window (+leader siege, -for no blockade, etc), an effect happens. This can be status quo, water shortage, defenders desert, disease outbreak, walls breached, garrison surrender, and likely a few more. Most of those events increase the Siege Progress counter, typically by +1 or +2. Siege Progress then applies as a modifier to future siege rolls. It counts up to 12 for level 2-3 forts, and 14 for more advanced forts.

You can see the likelyhood of each event if you mouse over the dice icon in the siege view. The odds of the garrison surrendering on the next tick is the percentage that's shown beside the attacking army on the map. Particularly if you have a leader with an excellent siege score, up against a low level fort, sieges can end in way less than 12 ticks. I've seen it happen in 1 before, for a properly garrisoned fort even.

Upon conclusion of the league war in favor of the protestants, all the Catholic electors are removed, and a new election takes place. The remaining protestant electors have a free vote, and whoever they like best will win. Leading the league war has no impact, although it probably should.

Yeah, the Protestant war leader should definitely have some boost for the AI elector logic. The (remote) prospect of becoming Emperor is one of the reasons that Gustavus bothered showing up, for instance.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
I impulse purchased EU IV Collection on Steam because of the sale and now I am debating refunding it since CK 2 and Nobunaga's Ambition have already consumed my life. Historical strategy nerd problems.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Antti posted:

Exploration. It'll let you grab the cape, which is basically the best place in the world for Asians, if only to gently caress with European colonization of Asia. It'll also let you westernize by colonizing next to a colonial nation in the americas and let you colonize SEA for mundo development.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Antti posted:

Do whatever you want, you've basically won already so unless you specify a goal of some kind this is like asking for advice on clicking "one more turn" in Civ games after you've wiped everyone else out.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Well my new neighbours are a super-Ottoman Empire, a mega-Ming and a colonizing France so I might still lose a war or two if they keep growing like they do.

Cynic Jester posted:

Exploration. It'll let you grab the cape, which is basically the best place in the world for Asians, if only to gently caress with European colonization of Asia. It'll also let you westernize by colonizing next to a colonial nation in the americas and let you colonize SEA for mundo development.

I wound up taking Expansion instead but with the one colonist I've basically been doing the same thing.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Cynic Jester posted:

At 1640 the Cape is probably taken already. You could still use it to get Indonesia though. They could probably get to South America across the Pacific still.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Quick question - does anyone know if they've added development to the province history files? That is to say, if I start the vanilla game in 1815 will London be the same development it is in 1444?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Alikchi posted:

Quick question - does anyone know if they've added development to the province history files? That is to say, if I start the vanilla game in 1815 will London be the same development it is in 1444?

Quck answer - yes.

I just glanced at a couple bookmarks and major cities and capitals are developed, many backwater provinces don't change or very little.

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011
As the Ottomans, what's a good second idea? I started with Admin and I've already gotten cannons, so I was thinking of taking quantity or another mil idea, but influence also looks good and I have little use for dip points at moment.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

mornhaven posted:

As the Ottomans, what's a good second idea? I started with Admin and I've already gotten cannons, so I was thinking of taking quantity or another mil idea, but influence also looks good and I have little use for dip points at moment.

I'd almost certainly go for a military idea here, Defensive is good, Offensive is good. Quantity can be very convenient if you're expanding super quickly and need armies all over.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
I'm not sure I understand how loans work; is there any point in repaying one early? It doesn't save any interest, does it?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
I think it saves interest on the remainder of the loan if your rate is going to go up (like from the Pope's bonus expiring)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Redmark posted:

I'm not sure I understand how loans work; is there any point in repaying one early? It doesn't save any interest, does it?

When you repay the loan early you're also repaying whatever interest remains, so you don't save any money (assuming your interest rate is going to go up for whatever reason).

I like to pay off loans early because otherwise I might forget to have enough money saved up to pay it off on the designated date; if that happens then you wind up paying an additional 5 years of additional interest for no reason, which sucks.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Does anyone have any tips for starting out as Kongo and getting the African Power achievement? I'm going to get Exploration first to deny the Europeans the Cape as best I can, and also take the event that switches me to Catholic so I can use the religious CB on pretty much the entire continent.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

I like to pay off loans early because otherwise I might forget to have enough money saved up to pay it off on the designated date; if that happens then you wind up paying an additional 5 years of additional interest for no reason, which sucks.

Yeah, pretty sure this is why they added the ability to pay of loans early. No real savings involved.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Are there any strategies to becoming an HRE elector? I'm thinking about trying to do a game where I form Westphalia, but that seems like the hardest requirement (and I'd rather not leave the HRE to form it, just because).

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
I think the AI favors bishropics, but there's not like an active way to secure the position.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Kalos posted:

I think the AI favors bishropics, but there's not like an active way to secure the position.

I'm assuming knocking off the current electors wouldn't be seen as favorable

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
As the emperor, I just succesfully helped defend the empire, but I didn't get any IA. What gives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
I have played a lot of games with small nations in the HRE, and I have only been granted electorship once. I was playing Cleves and Mainz got wiped out very early somehow and I was allied to Austria (back when it was easy to ally Austria as a small nation). I think if you are 4 or more provinces it is extremely unlikely that the AI will grant you electorship as it has never happened to me and I have been allied to the emperor a lot.

• Locked thread