Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Panfilo posted:

Would Miller be able to control the gasmask kid? When you fight Sehalanthropus, Miller is not too far away; and the whole shooting off Skullface's arm and leg in a rage would have triggered something I imagine.

Probably. Though, if he's near Eli, not very likely.

Mantis was attracted to the strongest source of negativity around.

Eli is basically the psychic equivalent of fluorine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

JoshTheStampede posted:

That, and the hours of hands-off cutscenes prior MGS games were known for didn't really mesh well with an open world game where you can do stuff out of order.

I think they did a good job with the birthday scene including who was present on your base at that time. For me, Code Talker was rolling around in the foreground, Huey was absent, and Quiet had a nice little epilogue.

But doing that with an actual plot with actual dialogue would take a decade and Kojima only had like 8 years.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Broseph Brostar posted:

no, she couldn't have the wolbachia because the parasites are the only thing that keeps her alive. They don't really explain much about Quiet or the skulls, but I'm pretty certain the parasites that let her breath through her skin require the ability to reproduce to function the way they do.
Doesn't Code Talker take the wolbachia treatment himself? And the only ill effect is a hunger... for burgers.

It doesn't really go into any more detail than implying vocal cord parasites are genetically engineered relatives of the super-organism parasites, but my summary is at least what I remember from Code Talker's tape preface to mission 45.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Snak posted:

I assume the original guide also covers all the missions...

Except 46*

*But it does cover the tutorial in full so it does actually cover 46, it just doesn't detail how it's unlocked.

Thinking on it, the fact it's literally the same mission again with swapped out bonus objectives might be the real reason why "it's a big secret we can't reveal". Maybe they just didn't want people to know the final big reveal mission is a copy paste of the tutorial with button prompts intact.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The Famitsu stream about MGS V today supposedly revealed there's a new guide coming out which lists 65 missions.

Do with that info what you will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxFeOnd359k

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
https://www.reddit.com/r/NeverBeGameOver/comments/3qvadi/famitsu_revealed_tpp_official_strategy_guide/

loving code in the game and the novel is a cipher. if this is real then, it really will be kojima's greatest masterpiece.

i hope the game actually monitors players internet usage and it checks to see whether they doubted the lord's work and blocks them from getting this extra stuff.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
From the Reddit:

quote:

This sub exists because we're all well aware of how the ruse master weaves his illusions.

They're really overestimating Kojima, even if it does end up true it's hardly a master stroke.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

holy poo poo holy poo poo holy poo poo.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Bamford Brownstone posted:

Regarding Kaz and the whole "played like a drat fiddle" thing, could there be a connection with the only other character that used a similar phrase? Drebin says something like "Played like a drat violin" at the end of MGS4.

Snake says that Strangelove "played him like a piano" sometime in Peace Walker, IIRC. I think it's just a recurring thing Kojima likes.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:
I don't think Quiet would have died with Wolbachia treatment. Code Talker had the treatment, right? And he has parasites keeping him alive.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Vikar Jerome posted:

holy poo poo holy poo poo holy poo poo.

Why do people keep getting surprised when a twitter rep says "no comment"? If they were going to announce anything, it wouldn't be like that.

But anyways it doesn't matter because the "65 missions" thing is something some troll was typing into the chat and people ran with it. It was never actually mentioned by anyone involved in the stream, and there's also a bunch of other dumb poo poo like people seeing maps of OKB Zero and thinking it was a map of New York, etc.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
Quiet has nanomachines, she don't need no wolbachia.

In other news, OKB Zero is a giant fog machine powered by ground-up zebras and silent hills and the all silent hills take place in the metal gear universe, calling it. Chico was redesigned to make him a young Norman Reedus.

Bamford Brownstone
Jul 21, 2010
10/30= .333333333. Clearly this is them confirming chapter 3 and not just the date. It has to be. Why would someone wish someone a happy day before Halloween? :tinfoil:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yeah this. If I was supposed to be terrified of the idea that my native language would be wiped out, then maybe something is wrong with me because I don't care. I'd learn another language if I wasn't already dead.

And I don't agree that language and culture are that tightly bound
You can disagree but they absolutely are which is the entire point of destroying identities through language

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

diamond dog posted:

Quiet has nanomachines, she don't need no wolbachia.

In other news, OKB Zero is a giant fog machine powered by ground-up zebras and silent hills and the all silent hills take place in the metal gear universe, calling it. Chico was redesigned to make him a young Norman Reedus.

the true fate of chico at 25 seconds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVylTfkDP5c

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
gently caress I hate that giggling child sound clip gently caress you Rare for making the diddy kong racing intro unskippable

Elephant Ambush posted:

And I don't agree that language and culture are that tightly bound.
medium is the message yo

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Game just patched, it's probably chapter 3.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I think they did a good job with the birthday scene including who was present on your base at that time. For me, Code Talker was rolling around in the foreground, Huey was absent, and Quiet had a nice little epilogue.

But doing that with an actual plot with actual dialogue would take a decade and Kojima only had like 8 years.

It did create a weird moment for me when I first got Huey and Miller said he'd be locked in the lab so nobody would know he's there, but then he walks out to wish me happy birthday almost immediately after arriving

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Kojima shows us his process for creating the Nuclear trailer, which turns out to be a poor choice in hindsight because it's the trailer that features the most cut content.

It was filmed back in 2014, so he talks about the scene with Venom walking through the burned village like it was still in the game. It gives us a glimpse of a time before Konami decided that enough was enough and pushed him to release TPP, even if it wasn't finished.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 31, 2015

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

A bit late here, but I think that the reason Venom's horn doesn't get filed down/sawn off is that the vibrations from it would transmit through the bone and jiggle his brain up a treat. Probably not the best course of action for the poor chap.

Quick thought that I can't test: does firing the water pistol at Quiet do anything? I feel pervy for even asking, but it strikes me that there should be at least some "hey you worked out that this is water and she drinks through her skin or whatever" thing.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Why do people keep getting surprised when a twitter rep says "no comment"? If they were going to announce anything, it wouldn't be like that.

It's not even twitter.
Journalists in most fields always seem to take "no comment" as "IT'S HAPPENING" and get disappointed when it doesn't. It's just "no comment".

Sue
Apr 1, 2008

In It For The Tank posted:

Kojima shows us his process for creating the Nuclear trailer, which turns out to be a poor choice in hindsight because it's the trailer that features the most cut content.

That was pretty neat.
I kind of appreciate that even the behind the scenes documentaries have lots of creepy lingering Stefanie Joosten shots, keeps things consistent with the actual game.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I for one look forward to further speculation on Chapters 3-5 going into the glorious year 2016. We'll get to Outer Heaven someday

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
So I cheesed Shotmaker with the smoke grenade trick, but now I'm stuck on mission 58. If Machinegun Kid is blasting away at the container you spawn behind, how do you get behind him like Venom is suggesting? With the low cielings, I can't lob a grenade all the way to him, and his reload time is really short. What am I missing here?

E: haha I'm stupid, i jumped through the window, crouch-walked around the building under the lasers, and got behind him and CQCed him for the non-lethal KO.

CharlieWhiskey fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 31, 2015

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

CharlieWhiskey posted:

So I cheesed Shotmaker with the smoke grenade trick, but now I'm stuck on mission 58. If Machinegun Kid is blasting away at the container you spawn behind, how do you get behind him like Venom is suggesting? With the low cielings, I can't lob a grenade all the way to him, and his reload time is really short. What am I missing here?

E: haha I'm stupid, i jumped through the window, crouch-walked around the building under the lasers, and got behind him and CQCed him for the non-lethal KO.

Shotmaker? He's Shoot Gunner in my version. Anyways, I'm gonna go FOB invade Egg Plant and try to capture Dirty Duck this time.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Nanomashoes posted:

Shotmaker? He's Shoot Gunner in my version. Anyways, I'm gonna go FOB invade Egg Plant and try to capture Dirty Duck this time.

Is it Dirty Duck, or Coward Duck? All of these changes between versions... Kojimaaa :tinfoil:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

chapter 3 is getting crazier, just had to defend the animal platform from solidus snake and i unlocked a new buddy.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
I like his ability to headbutt guards off cliffs and platforms.

RAMMING SPEED!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So at the end when Venon plays the B side of the tape labelled "Operation Intrude N313", has anyone out there cared to decode the bit coded audio that you can clearly hear?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51PdBVLSVzk

Given Kojima, it's probably not random bits but some message.

edit: oh

https://www.reddit.com/r/NeverBeGameOver/comments/3lw7wk/want_the_truth_we_need_to_load_the_n313_cassette/

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 1, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The tape not actually working is why Venom punches the mirror

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

The tape not actually working is why Venom punches the mirror

That and probably at least a little anger at knowing what was done to him and the knowledge that his brain isn't working properly all the time.

Completely unrelated, I'm still really miffed that even if the game had been finished we would never have seen Solid or Solidus or Gray Fox.

Also it would be nice to know what happens to both Big Bosses and the DD base. Which of the 2 Big Bosses was at the end of MGS4? What happened to the other Big Boss? What happened to the DD base? It had to have been destroyed somehow.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 1, 2015

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme
Has anyone decrypted the GZ tape from "Intel Acquisition" mission?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

The Big Boss at the end of MGS4 is the original BB for sure. Venom dies at Outer Haven, DD Base is abandoned for 30 years before being discovered by the Patriots who activate Huey's hidden protocol, DD Base then walks across the world, then slowly lowers itself into the ocean, becoming Big Shell.

Duh.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Elephant Ambush posted:

That and probably at least a little anger at knowing what was done to him and the knowledge that his brain isn't working properly all the time.

Completely unrelated, I'm still really miffed that even if the game had been finished we would never have seen Solid or Solidus or Gray Fox.

Also it would be nice to know what happens to both Big Bosses and the DD base. Which of the 2 Big Bosses was at the end of MGS4? What happened to the other Big Boss? What happened to the DD base? It had to have been destroyed somehow.

Venom is killed during Metal Gear 1. Naked is badly burned at the end of Metal Gear 2, and ends up in a nanomachine induced coma to save his life.

As for the DD Mother Base? Kind of unknown. Venom and Naked both spend their time building up fortified camps in land eventually, so either they were decommissioned or left derelict once Outer Heaven and Zanzibar Land started being things.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I love that MGS2 was a remake of MGS1, and that MGSV ended up being a remake of MGS2.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Detective No. 27 posted:

I love that MGS2 was a remake of MGS1, and that MGSV ended up being a remake of MGS2.

What gets me about this is that MGSV has little directly in common with MGS1, besides sharing a few characters.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Hobo By Design posted:

I think the answer is at the reddit link 3 posts above yours.

Chippita
Jun 12, 2006

by Shine

Hobo By Design posted:

Yes, it's the header for VOL2 of Portopia for PC-6001.

VOL1 header is contained at the end of TPP.

Also it's me, the P.T. guy.
https://www.reddit.com/r/NeverBeGameOver/comments/3qoo08/pt_the_connections_to_metal_gear_solid/

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
I just noticed that the first arm Ocelot gives Venom doesn't have a pinky

KOJIMA WHAT ARE YOU HIDING

IS THE PINKY IN ZANZIBARLAND

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chippita
Jun 12, 2006

by Shine