Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012
The EU is a neoliberal entity and is ideologically committed to austerity, leaving would be a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Benjamin Arthur posted:

The EU is a neoliberal entity and is ideologically committed to austerity, leaving would be a good thing.

I also want to become the 51st through 54th States of the Union

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Benjamin Arthur posted:

That's a good argument for dissolving the EU but not a good argument for leaving it. Staying in and ignoring it when it's being stupid rather than when it's unprofitable would be much better.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Because I'm sure there's nothing the working class love more than the extremely wealthy and the organisation most likely to kill them other than the DWP?

Don't underestimate the ability of people to hold firmly to ideas that are not only antiquated but also do them or others like them harm.
I took part in peaceful protests against the Falklands Conflict while it was going on. It wasn't the middle or upper classes that lined the pavements to chant 'Traitor' at us. Horrible that people still buy the Dulce Et Decorum Est con but I'm not sure how you fight it if they don't want to listen.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

EmptyVessel posted:

Don't underestimate the ability of people to hold firmly to ideas that are not only antiquated but also do them or others like them harm.
I took part in peaceful protests against the Falklands Conflict while it was going on. It wasn't the middle or upper classes that lined the pavements to chant 'Traitor' at us. Horrible that people still buy the Dulce Et Decorum Est con but I'm not sure how you fight it if they don't want to listen.

QFT. Corbyn is hosed if they can make the mud stick, so this will be a great litmus test of how effective the strategy is. I'm not hopeful - even people in my local Labour party meeting had swallowed the "he's chummy with terrorists" line, so I don't know how he's going to stand a chance against the legendary reasoning powers of White Van Man.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Mister Adequate posted:

I also want to become the 51st through 54th States of the Union

We've probably got more chance of becoming a Chinese offshore holding company than that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

EmptyVessel posted:

Yeah I know that those are both things that our lot actually really do like for some bizzare reason.

There's arguments against it but I don't know if Corbyn would try them. I do think the "If I like soldiers why would I want to send them to die?" line could be a promising one.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The typical response would be "Do you think ARE BOYS would be killed by a bunch of goat fuckers?"

I mean the entire reason that Help for Heroes was set up is because the problem of people being injured or killed in the ME has been thoroughly swept under the rug, to the point where helping them is entirely the responsibility of citizens, because it's not the government's problem they're now injured and can't feed themselves or walk, it's just an unfortunate thing that they probably let happen to themselves, like cancer.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 30, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ddraig posted:

The typical response would be "Do you think ARE BOYS would be killed by a bunch of goat fuckers?"

I mean the entire reason that Help for Heroes was set up is because the problem of people being injured or killed in the ME has been thoroughly swept under the rug, to the point where helping them is entirely the responsibility of citizens, because it's not the government's problem they're now injured and can't feed themselves or walk, it's just an unfortunate thing that they probably let happen to themselves, like cancer.

"179 dead, 315 wounded in combat, 3,598 injured or suffered disease on deployment.

So yes, I do."

Works on Cameron, works on militarists.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
It's the being sent to die that makes them our brave boys, if it wasn't for going to war all the time they'd just be random people standing around taking up space

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

There's arguments against it but I don't know if Corbyn would try them. I do think the "If I like soldiers why would I want to send them to die?" line could be a promising one.

Yeah, that could be worth a try.
I think one thing they (Labour) should really try and hammer home is that if you are voting for your local Labour MP you are not voting for a Corbyn clone. They need to stress the democratic nature of the party and demonstrate that Corbyn is willing to listen to the party rather than dictate from on high (something he's started but sadly needs constant restating).

Also, are there no veterans in the Labour party who could act as a useful bridge between Corbyns position and their own experience of the military? There must be some, surely.

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden

EmptyVessel posted:

Yeah, that could be worth a try.
I think one thing they (Labour) should really try and hammer home is that if you are voting for your local Labour MP you are not voting for a Corbyn clone. They need to stress the democratic nature of the party and demonstrate that Corbyn is willing to listen to the party rather than dictate from on high (something he's started but sadly needs constant restating).

Also, are there no veterans in the Labour party who could act as a useful bridge between Corbyns position and their own experience of the military? There must be some, surely.

Clive Lewis is a veteran + Corbynite

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Regarde Aduck posted:

I rewatched those films recently and I discovered that the middle film is actually the best. But the last one destroys everything anyway so it doesn't matter.

Watch the animatrix if you haven't (mainly just the prequel one), puts a new spin on the movies.

Angepain posted:

It's the being sent to die that makes them our brave boys, if it wasn't for going to war all the time they'd just be random people standing around taking up space

O it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, go away"; But it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play, The band begins to play, my boys, the band begins to play, O it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Benjamin Arthur posted:

EU ain't imposing neoliberalism or austerity on an unwilling UK government. Leaving wouldn't help on either count.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

So to play a devil's advocate, what exactly does our country depend on an import/export market for in order for our citizens to survive?

Not to necessarily 'prosper' in an import/export market. But say a magical iron curtain popped up overnight that blocked us off from the world, what stops us from surviving?

And no, this is not an argument for leaving the EU (as an argument it would be loving stupid) but a thought experiment.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Benjamin Arthur posted:

The EU is poo poo, and rapidly becoming shitter, but don't pretend the alternative wouldn't be worse.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

So to play a devil's advocate, what exactly does our country depend on an import/export market for in order for our citizens to survive?

Not to necessarily 'prosper' in an import/export market. But say a magical iron curtain popped up overnight that blocked us off from the world, what stops us from surviving?

And no, this is not an argument for leaving the EU (as an argument it would be loving stupid) but a thought experiment.

Apparently about 70% of our food, for a start.

Pharmaceuticals, lots of international trade there.

As of last week, basic building materials.

So I guess we can survive if we eat each other, grind up the remains of the bankers to extract the residual cocaine to use as painkillers, and construct all future housing from the bones of the dead.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 31, 2015

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

I'm fairly sure we import about 40% of our food. I guess a lot of is wasted and could be redistributed but it would still be unpleasant. We would also face an immediate orange and more pressingly tea shortage, presumably beginning an immediate civil war to secure the few domestic tea producing areas.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

OwlFancier posted:

Apparently about 70% of our food, for a start.

I really don't think the UK would starve to death if it had any reasonable notice to get intensive farming tech going in the mainland, although it'd be a sharp learning curve. Nobody grows food, that's what poor countries do.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Tesseraction posted:

You could try balancing these out http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/exports and see what we couldn't bodge together as a replacement under autarky.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Spangly A posted:

I really don't think the UK would starve to death if it had any reasonable notice to get intensive farming tech going in the mainland, although it'd be a sharp learning curve. Nobody grows food, that's what poor countries do.

I would be a bit surprised if we don't have enough land to sustain ourselves but it would still involve a rather serious change in priorities.

Not to mention the price differences for out of season or continental foods. Even if we can feed everyone, we can't feed everyone the same way we do now.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
We grow a lot of cereals and vegetables, but meat and exotic fruit would probably be scarcer.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
This is also assuming a complete removal from trade with EU members, which seems unlikely (although I'm sure it would be attempted). I wouldnt entirely count out public backlash from public who feel some sense of solidarity with a country that managed to escape the EU.

For the record, I feel like a reformed EU would be the best end result. I just feel like the odds of that happening are slim-to-none, especially so long as Germany & Co. are involved.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Spangly A posted:

Apparently we're already throwing away about a third of what we grow domestically before it even gets to the shops, because supermarkets are picky bastards with hosed up aesthetic standards.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Point is, leaving the EU would mean a lot of stuff gets more expensive or poorer quality.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Apparently we're already throwing away about a third of what we grow domestically before it even gets to the shops, because supermarkets are picky bastards with hosed up aesthetic standards.

Only in years where theres a bumper crop, in years when its lean they accept the stuff they won't buy and us consumers don't know the difference. Its criminal.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
If under 25s would be exempt from the proposed minwage increase won't businesses just turn the jobs that currently pay minwage into jobs reserved for under 25s and make the current slightly-higher-that-min jobs into numinwage jobs for over 25s? That way they'd keep their wage bills pretty much the same despite the supposed rise. (I guess that assumes there's enough people of the right ages willing to work those jobs for those wages)

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Surprise Giraffe posted:

If under 25s would be exempt from the proposed minwage increase won't businesses just turn the jobs that currently pay minwage into jobs reserved for under 25s and make the current slightly-higher-that-min jobs into numinwage jobs for over 25s? That way they'd keep their wage bills pretty much the same despite the supposed rise. (I guess that assumes there's enough people of the right ages willing to work those jobs for those wages)

No, capital would never exploit cheaper labour in this way. It just doesn't make sense.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
How can it be a living wage if it doesn't apply to under 25's? What are these 18-24 year olds going to do to survive?

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Our youth employment figures are going to be fantastic!

Of course the low skilled over 25's will be hosed.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

serious gaylord posted:

How can it be a living wage if it doesn't apply to under 25's? What are these 18-24 year olds going to do to survive?

Get On(tm), that's what

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

serious gaylord posted:

Live with/off their parents.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
The minimum wage has different rates based on age, too.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Also, you know how we can borrow money basically indefinitely because the Almighty Markets in their Great Wisdom believe we have a strong economy? Yeah, guess how long that one's going to last after a Brexit. (Hint: until the first hedge fund panics, whether they're right to do so or not.)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I said this with indyref but does the government actually have to act based on the results of the referendum?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

namesake posted:

Live with/off their parents.

upcoming decrease in the Tory vote upcoming after parents have to share a place with their insufferable children for 6 more years

and/or, upcoming decrease in the not-Tory vote as children without parents who can support them shrivel up in the streets or wherever it is the poors go

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

serious gaylord posted:

Live with their parents, whom they obviously have, and get along with. What's an orphan? Lalala I can't hear you

If you have parents but they disowned you, this is obviously a result of poor life choices on your part. I recommend you do a shitload of blues, catch the 5:15 to Brighton and hurl yourself of the nearest cliff.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I mean, the very idea that someone might not be able to get a job where their parents live is surely laughable.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

serious gaylord posted:

gently caress all, if my experience is at all accurate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

plenty of countries seem to get by fine without entering a suicide pact and helping to take runny shits all over poor countries

(As far as I'm aware)

we didn't enter the suicide pact, that's why our economy is just a shambles rather than a smoking hole

• Locked thread