Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Chairman Capone posted:

Truce at Bakura came out two years after Heir to the Empire... not really sure exactly what you're going for here.

Like, Heir to the Empire is pretty well known for being the first Star Wars book set after ROTJ.

The first Star Wars book set after ROTJ is Truce at Bakura.

The first Star Wars book published after ROTJ is the Lando Calrissian books.

I suppose you could mean a combination of both of those criteria, but the traditional internet response to a misunderstanding is to just keep :spergin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

OK is there a single remotely respectable title in all of Star Wars fiction that would be a good Book of the Month selection given the new movies coming out

or are they ALL crap

I'm not demanding literature here just not absolute poo poo -- quality pulp or "How Much For Just the Planet" style parody is fine, just something that will engage an intelligent, non-juvenile reader on some level,

or is this entire sub-genre just utter trash and that's the glory of it

Revenge of the Sith by Matthew Stover makes the movie's script good.

His other two notable Star Wars books, Traitor and Shatterpoint, are (respectively) a ridiculously ballsy demolition of the Star Wars force mythology that was so iconoclastic Lucasfilm actually labeled it a 'heresy', and a Star Wars take on Heart of Darkness.

But the Revenge of the Sith novelization is the clear pick, since Traitor is buried deep in the late EU.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be honest I would not say any of the Star Wars books have a merit beyond light reading. I don't mean that to sound absurd negative but even the best ones I can think of are mostly "kind of solid light adventure books" at best.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'm torn between RotS and Shatterpoint, because the latter has the bonus of Mace Windu actually feeling like a Samuel Jackson character.

I'll vote for Shatterpoint

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest I would not say any of the Star Wars books have a merit beyond light reading. I don't mean that to sound absurd negative but even the best ones I can think of are mostly "kind of solid light adventure books" at best.

Well yeah but that's what he asked for, not anything with any real literary merit just a reasonably interesting book to celebrate the movie release with

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
Thirding Kenobi. It's a pretty cool take on the "stranger with a troubled past comes to a frontier town and changes everyone's lives" Western story, with more emphasis on character moments than on action.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Heir to the Empire. It's a fun alternate take on what happened after episode 6.

I'd be really interested to see if people consider Thrawn to be a Mary Sue or well written coming in like 20 years after I read the thing for the first time.

Scornful Sexbot
Sep 24, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Has anyone considered suggesting the incredibly fun and largely accessible X-WING:STARFIGHTERS OF ADUMAR by Aaron Allston? This book has cool pilot action AND actually made me think about politicking and imperialism in third world nations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

elestupendojudio posted:

Has anyone considered suggesting the incredibly fun and largely accessible X-WING:STARFIGHTERS OF ADUMAR by Aaron Allston? This book has cool pilot action AND actually made me think about politicking and imperialism in third world nations.

This would be my pick any day. Allston was the best EU writer and this book is almost entirely stand-alone.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Strobe posted:

Oh, you meant set after Return of the Jedi. In that case, here.

The point is that Heir to the Jedi is neither the first published nor the first set after Return of the Jedi.

It was the first book that came out set after ROTJ. The first book that said, "Here's what happened next." Yes, books came out before it set before ROTJ, and yes, books came out after that technically occurred sooner after ROTJ, but Heir to the Empire was the first book that explored the post ROTJ world.

You're drawing a distinction without meaning. The original point was that Heir to the Empire was the first book to create a post ROTJ world, so it could be interesting to see how it compares to what they do this time.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Vector Prime.

Hear me out. TFA is set about 30 years after ROTJ, right? We're dropping into it with a mixture of new characters we've never met and some of the old guard, who have presumably had many adventures in the interim which have shaped them as characters and leaves viewers with many questions. What is that, if not a summary of Vector Prime? :v:

Haha, but seriously: Shatterpoint.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Another vote for Revenge of the Sith novelization, secondary preference to Heir to the Empire.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

elestupendojudio posted:

I'm ashamed and appalled that I forgot about SoA. :negative: Changing my vote to this.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Shatterpoint, because its Sam Jackson starring in space heart of darkness the book.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Starfighters of Adumar! I love that book.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Starfighters of Adumar is fun, it's reasonably well-written, and it doesn't really ask for extensive Star Wars knowledge.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Strobe posted:

The first Star Wars book set after ROTJ is Truce at Bakura.

The first Star Wars book published after ROTJ is the Lando Calrissian books.

I suppose you could mean a combination of both of those criteria, but the traditional internet response to a misunderstanding is to just keep :spergin:

Here, let me clarify my post:

"Heir to the Empire was the first Star Wars book to be published that is set after ROTJ, even though books were published prior to it and books were published after it but set closer to ROTJ, but the meaning of my post was completely obvious due to the context of the discussion and the general widespread knowledge of Heir to the Empire's unique status and only a completely anal pedant or someone with an incredibly obtuse axe to grind would twist the meaning of the post to make it seem like I was factually incorrect."

In other words, to address your nonsense posts,

Strobe posted:

the traditional internet response to a misunderstanding is to just keep :spergin:

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lurken posted:

The first book in the Medstar duology is FANTASTIC. The second is passable

I'll second that emotion. I just saw Barriss Offee in an episode of Clone Wars and was reminded how much I enjoyed Battle Surgeons.

There's a template to those novels that I hope the Story Group sees: take secondary characters, ones that can change and evolve, and tell interesting stories with them. Take a chance. Do the unexpected. Maybe not put it in first person.

Robot Wendigo fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 30, 2015

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I still think the decision to turn Barriss into a terrorist Darksider on The Clone Wars was one of the worst choices that show ever made. She had no major appearances since season 2 and then suddenly she's murdering her friends and working as a dark jedi. It was awful and contrived, and the only reason it was Barriss is because they needed the traitor to be someone close to Ahsoka, except they had never given her much interaction outside of Anakin on the show.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Arcsquad12 posted:

I still think the decision to turn Barriss into a terrorist Darksider on The Clone Wars was one of the worst choices that show ever made. She had no major appearances since season 2 and then suddenly she's murdering her friends and working as a dark jedi. It was awful and contrived, and the only reason it was Barriss is because they needed the traitor to be someone close to Ahsoka, except they had never given her much interaction outside of Anakin on the show.

I wish they had just justified it better...possibly through more appearances...or just a better exploration of her rationale for turning traitor. I don't hate the concept itself...but it just seems too rushed.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
Bit late to the recommendations but i really enjoyed Luke Skywalker and The Shadows of Mindor It's a great early post-ROTJ novel that deals with Luke trying to find his place in the universe.

Plus it has some fun Lando / Mandalorians bits.

Muppetjedi fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 31, 2015

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

OK is there a single remotely respectable title in all of Star Wars fiction that would be a good Book of the Month selection given the new movies coming out

or are they ALL crap

I'm not demanding literature here just not absolute poo poo -- quality pulp or "How Much For Just the Planet" style parody is fine, just something that will engage an intelligent, non-juvenile reader on some level,

or is this entire sub-genre just utter trash and that's the glory of it

If we really want to tie it in to "new movies coming out" I think the only real choice is Heir to the Empire. For the longest time, the Thrawn Trilogy got colloquially talked about as "if Star Wars had Episodes VII, VIII, and IX; this is what they'd be". Yeah the writing isn't superb...but there's some interesting stuff in there.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Muppetjedi posted:

Bit late to the recommendations but i really enjoyed Luke Skywalker and The Shadows of Mindor It's a great early post-ROTJ novel that deals with Luke trying to find his place in the universe.

Plus it has some fun Lando / Mandalorians bits.

Does that one not rely on knowing a bit of continuity? It sort of ties into Shatterpoint, iirc. At least, I don't think I'd have had much of an idea of what Nick Rostu and Kar Vastor were doing there and why they were significant if I hadn't already read Shatterpoint.

I think that was actually the last new EU book I read. I'd been thoroughly worn down by the one-two-three punch of NJO, Dark Nest and LOTF by that point. Hard to believe it came out in 2008.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Just picked up Twilight Company. I'm going to end up buying it on the Dust Jacket alone.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
That is a good cover.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I wonder how much tea bagging is in it.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Wikipedia Brown posted:

I wonder how much tea bagging is in it.

I'm only like 50 pages in, but suprisingly little so far! The POV is pretty interesting, and makes me excited for Rogue One.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Does that one not rely on knowing a bit of continuity? It sort of ties into Shatterpoint, iirc. At least, I don't think I'd have had much of an idea of what Nick Rostu and Kar Vastor were doing there and why they were significant if I hadn't already read Shatterpoint.

I think that was actually the last new EU book I read. I'd been thoroughly worn down by the one-two-three punch of NJO, Dark Nest and LOTF by that point. Hard to believe it came out in 2008.

I actually think it goes out of the way to not mention the events from Shatterpoint - I think Nick Rostu mentions knowing a Jedi once, but I don't think Mace Windu's name is ever mentioned. Although in terms of continuity, I think there is a joke about Luke saying something like, "I'm just not that into redheads."

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
l
m
b
o

Someone's trying way too hard to justify Jar Jar.

buffybot
Nov 7, 2002
Starfighters of Adumar, no question. It's self contained, and really fun to read. The novel has good action and some surprisingly poignant moments. It doesn't have the epic good vs evil thing that most SW novels have so if you're looking for that, find something else.

Jazerus posted:

This would be my pick any day. Allston was the best EU writer and this book is almost entirely stand-alone.

Allston is irreplaceable and I'm still really bummed about his death.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So I live in Connecticut, and this Friday Mark Twain's house is organizing a Star Wars novel round-table talk. The guests? Timothy Zahn, Michael Stackpole, John Ostrander, Jason Fry, and Ryder Wyndham. I can't wait.

Last month they actually hosted RA Salvatore for a talk for some reason, but I wasn't able to go, as much as I really wanted to ask him something about Vector Prime.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
The X-Wing books are probably the best.

Honestly, in general, I feel like Star Wars comics tend to be a lot better than the books. Maybe Star Wars is just something that works better in a visual medium.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Carteret posted:

Just picked up Twilight Company. I'm going to end up buying it on the Dust Jacket alone.

I forgot about that. The audio book comes out tomorrow.

Flagrant Abuse posted:

l
m
b
o

Someone's trying way too hard to justify Jar Jar.

:lol:
"genius reddit user"

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 2, 2015

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Insanity is a type of genius... sometimes.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Gammatron 64 posted:

Honestly, in general, I feel like Star Wars comics tend to be a lot better than the books. Maybe Star Wars is just something that works better in a visual medium.

I think that it also has to do with how Dark Horse had better quality control and better author selection in general than Bantam or Del Rey.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Chairman Capone posted:

I think that it also has to do with how Dark Horse had better quality control and better author selection in general than Bantam or Del Rey.

That, and well, I guess pretty much anyone can write a novel and call it a day, but not everybody can make a comic book. Or TV show. Or movie. Maybe not a good book, maybe not one that gets published, but a book.

Sometimes the actual artwork in the Dark Horse comes wasn't so hot, though. I think it was the art in Crimson Empire and a few others were pretty ugly. Marvel's current run is pretty great looking, though.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Crimson Empire art was terrible. I love the fact that the end of Crimson Empire was supposed to show that Carnor Jax and Kir Kanos were identical and therefore clones... but because the art was so bad no one realized that and so other authors developed separate backstories for them.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Speaking of comics, I picked up the first volume of that Darth Vader comic by Kieron Gillen and... it's actually pretty good? I like how it's really picking up on stuff like Vader being subordinate to the Imperial military officers, or the political ramifications of how the Empire governs itself after dissolving the Senate but without a Death Star to keep everyone in line through fear. I also kind of like that Tagge's alive again. :v:

What was the original EU version of what happened in between ANH and ESB? Was it all just those goofy comics from the '70s?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Empress Theonora posted:

Speaking of comics, I picked up the first volume of that Darth Vader comic by Kieron Gillen and... it's actually pretty good? I like how it's really picking up on stuff like Vader being subordinate to the Imperial military officers, or the political ramifications of how the Empire governs itself after dissolving the Senate but without a Death Star to keep everyone in line through fear. I also kind of like that Tagge's alive again. :v:

What was the original EU version of what happened in between ANH and ESB? Was it all just those goofy comics from the '70s?

Shadows of the Empire? Or do you mean before they started to solidify levels of canon?

Man, as a massive cross-media thing to tie in with the remastered release of the OT in the mid-90s, Shadows of the Empire had so much drat potential. Then they ruined it by picking the most mediocre author they could find for the book and then taking it nowhere else besides a video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dark Horse has Jango Fett: Open Seasons. Best Mandalorian story in Star Wars.