Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Amun Khonsu posted:

EDIT to add: Just as a qualifier, I am married to a Muslim woman who does not wear a headscarf or veil.

It's interesting that you gave a long list of theological basis for the practice and followed it with this.

Is not wearing coverings common in your wife's tradition? How do they view the passages that recommend it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Amun Khonsu posted:

Regarding men being able to marry Christian and Jewish women, there is a huge misconception among Muslims (particularly men) that they can do so willy nilly. There are strict rules regarding this. The Christian or Jewish women cannot ascribe partners with Allah (Jews by nature dont do this, but many Christians do). Also, the non-Muslim partner must agree before hand and hold to raising the children as Muslims. Also, the Jewish or Christian women must not be prevented from going to the shul (synagogue) or church if they wish. The women cannot hinder or make demands on the practice of Islam by her spouse or their children.

I feel dumb because I'm so confused. Earlier when asking about Sharia, the takeaway seemed to be, "there are only a handful of large categories, but there aren't many specifics and there's a lot of different interpretations" but in this case, you give no room for interpretation and specify that there are "strict rules".

Are those rules "sharia"? Are there actually many strict rules common to sharia, or what is this rule actually considered if not sharia?

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

ashgromnies posted:

It's interesting that you gave a long list of theological basis for the practice and followed it with this.

Is not wearing coverings common in your wife's tradition? How do they view the passages that recommend it?

Hi ashgromnies.

My wife is from the Indian sub-continent. There is a wide mix of Muslims there, Pashtun, Mogul, Punjabi, Arab, etc. As you know large numbers of the Pashtun (Afghanistani and Pakistani Taliban) are very conservative (sometimes extreme) with regards to dresscode. So, many people wear either Burka or Niqab, but this is typically not in the major cities. In the cities they are a bit more modern and liberal. My wife is Punjabi and although many Punjabis wear hijab (headscarf) and even niqab (face veil), it is not very common. Her family wears traditional dress (shalwar kameez, example below). My wife, however, is a highly skilled professional and has worked in the business district in London for 25+years. She wears normal western clothes and wears traditional dress during festivals.

As you said, I gave a lengthy theological basis for wearing the "Islamic" dress. Im a bit more "conservative" than she is and much more educated in the religion. That said, I believe that it is not my place to make demands on her religious practice (or lack thereof). Rather, I believe that Allah wants us to encourage each other to work towards what is good or better for us. Religion should never be forced.

Most people from her culture that study Qur'an believe its verses teach modesty. The form of modesty for women is interpreted in a wide variety of ways. Unless they have some influence from the Pashtun's or Arabs, most people in her culture will settle on the sharwal kameez (seen below) with an optional head covering piece or for a full hijab, but never a face veil. All of them tend to cover to full hijab standards during formal prayers.

Sharwal Kameez

Full Hijab

Niqab (face veil)

Burka

Amun Khonsu fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Oct 29, 2015

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

ashgromnies posted:

I feel dumb because I'm so confused. Earlier when asking about Sharia, the takeaway seemed to be, "there are only a handful of large categories, but there aren't many specifics and there's a lot of different interpretations" but in this case, you give no room for interpretation and specify that there are "strict rules".

Are those rules "sharia"? Are there actually many strict rules common to sharia, or what is this rule actually considered if not sharia?

Yes, regarding shari'ah there can be large areas that are either unspecified, not yet addressed due to the changes of modernity or necessity or specific to region, etc. There can be room for interpretation on many issues as well.

With regards to marriage it is very specific because there comes into play legal issues that the Qur'an and Hadith deal with directly, such as inheritance, children's rights and religious practice. On the issue of intermarriage between faiths, the scholars tend to be very specific.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Amun Khonsu posted:

wikipedia is not an Islamic source.

I am giving you the opinion of Islamic scholars as well as most Muslims who study Qur'an. I dont find it bizarre at all. Western science does not hold monopoly on the truths revealed before it and much of western science is based on what came before it. What came before it is scientific discovery from the European renaissance and what came before that was the Islamic Golden Age of discovery, and before that, the discoveries of the ancient Greeks. Our modern technology and discovery in science is based on a long history of human development. We cannot omit Islamic discovery which Muslims have based in Qur'an for 1400 years.

To re-iterate, and as you have stated, many of these ideas existed prior to Islam. Even scholars of the Torah have debated the issue of extraterrestrial life based on its verses. Islam holds that the Torah was revealed to the Jews by Allah. We believe in the Torah as revealed to Musa (Moses).

No disagreement here. I was just curious about people who claim that the Quran can be a valuable contribution to science today, which is not something that you encounter with mainstream Christianity and the Bible very often.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Most people that I've read, and what I've interpreted things to mean given my relatively limited understanding of physics and slightly less limited understanding of biology, have been less of the mind that "scientific discoveries have been foretold" and more "Oh, this scientific discovery jives with what the Qur'an says." Like the example of living things coming from water; most scholars except the recent surge of shitass crazy young-earthers will look at this and point out that yes, science does essentially believe everything originated in water. Same with what I mentioned about non-Earth life, most people who have read the Qur'an and believed it wouldn't really be surprised or jarred in the religious sense if aliens came, because yep, that makes sense, Allah is lord of worlds after all. Humanity is on this world but that doesn't mean we're the only sentient things out there.

(I do not understand anything about string theory so I can't comment on that one)

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

quote:

the heavens and the earth were of one piece, then We parted them

A 21st century reader could be forgiven for thinking "big bang" when reading this bit, because the person doing the reading is just as important as the person doing the writing when it comes time to explain what a holy book means. To me, the takeaway isn't that fifth-century Arabs knew the origin of the universe, it's that they believed Allah existed before the universes, he created them from nothing but his own will, and everything that followed was his idea alone.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

flakeloaf posted:

A 21st century reader could be forgiven for thinking "big bang" when reading this bit, because the person doing the reading is just as important as the person doing the writing when it comes time to explain what a holy book means. To me, the takeaway isn't that fifth-century Arabs knew the origin of the universe, it's that they believed Allah existed before the universes, he created them from nothing but his own will, and everything that followed was his idea alone.
As a Muslim (this sounds like a douchy way to start but "As a believer" sounded more douchy), what I personally take away from that idea is more "Allah worked via science but how do you explain that to a guy in 6-7th century Mecca?" For me, and for generally most others who haven't wandered down the weird literal creationism bent, Allah and science are not incompatible. The idea of the human body being as complex as it is through a long period of tiny changes is just as fascinating, if not more so, as the idea of it being created whole and perfect. One of the things that drew me to Islam was the fact that at the time I was initially studying it, there were pretty much no scholars who weren't obvious crazies, who didn't essentially say the same thing.

But we, in this time, come at it from an angle where we have a lot more understanding of that. I have no really deep understanding of physics, but I understand the idea when Lawrence Krauss talks about us coming from star dust, or when a biologist talks about life originating in the water. Muhammad would not have had that. Muhammad wouldn't even have had existing terms for concepts needed to explain the overall concept. It's kind of like when people ask "Why is the Qur'an in Arabic when most of the world speaks ____ now, if Allah knows all?" Well, it's because Muhammad was in Mecca. Simple as that. If the uhhh soul of the person who became Muhammad had been in a body in Spain, it would be in Spanish. Nepal, Nepalese. You get the idea.

The same principle applies to the scientific ideas that I and many others don't see as conflicting. Allah had to explain this in terms that a man born in Mecca in 570 CE would understand, who had not been particularly educated in anything beyond the basics of the time (whatever they were in the area) and the skills needed to be a merchant. I don't even know how much he knew about any advanced scientific ideas in his own time, speaking to him in terms of what we know even concretely and without theorizing about the universe would have been not merely baffling but incomprehensible. So, we got what seems to our ears like poetry that can be taken either way, and Muhammad got something that he could actually sort of explain to other people, at least in a sense that they would be able to visualize or understand the concept.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Tendai posted:

The same principle applies to the scientific ideas that I and many others don't see as conflicting. Allah had to explain this in terms that a man born in Mecca in 570 CE would understand, who had not been particularly educated in anything beyond the basics of the time (whatever they were in the area) and the skills needed to be a merchant. I don't even know how much he knew about any advanced scientific ideas in his own time, speaking to him in terms of what we know even concretely and without theorizing about the universe would have been not merely baffling but incomprehensible. So, we got what seems to our ears like poetry that can be taken either way, and Muhammad got something that he could actually sort of explain to other people, at least in a sense that they would be able to visualize or understand the concept.

That makes perfect sense. After all, the revelations of the Abrahamic holy texts all started with an infinite, omnipotent god telling a mortal man not only how to begin to comprehend the infinite, but that he should gain sufficient understanding of the idea to explain it to other mortals. It's basically flatland but with people.

(Yeah, the video's ten minutes but watch it anyway because it's a good ten minutes and if anyone's earned them it's Carl Sagan)

If you can pare down the true nature of a deity so that it fits into a tiny, squishy brain, why can't that also be done with something as [relatively] straightforward as the origin of the universe?

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I love that video.

But yeah, that's generally been my view on it. If you start going "well why didn't he specifically talk about the creation of stars etc etc in terms we would get," my question has always been where do you stop? Our scientific knowledge now is much more advanced than it was in Muhammad's time, and in 1500 years from now it'll probably be so advanced that one of us transplanted into 3500 would be as baffled as Muhammad hearing about the nuclear fusion that makes the sun work. Better to kind of leave it vague and up to human interpretation, from the perspective of wanting the idea to grow and spread, than to make it so specific and incomprehensible that it dies on the vine. The former definitely isn't a perfect solution over time, but as divine PR, it makes more sense in terms of the company not collapsing, so to speak.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

That makes perfect sense. After all, the revelations of the Abrahamic holy texts all started with an infinite, omnipotent god telling a mortal man not only how to begin to comprehend the infinite, but that he should gain sufficient understanding of the idea to explain it to other mortals.

An then there is the ancient text of the srimad bhagavatam, which has a chapter that is actually titled "calculating time from the atom" and begins with

quote:

The material manifestation's ultimate particle, which is indivisible and not formed into a body, is called the atom. It exists always as an invisible identity, even after the dissolution of all forms. The material body is but a combination of such atoms, but it is misunderstood by the common man.

Indians knew :tinfoil:

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Were any features of the ancient religions of Arabia incorporated into Islam, similar to how Christianity adopted some of the old pagan rituals of Europe?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

goose fleet posted:

Were any features of the ancient religions of Arabia incorporated into Islam, similar to how Christianity adopted some of the old pagan rituals of Europe?
I know the Kaaba, at least, predates Islam by several centuries.

Anyway I thought of a stupid and really nerdy hypothetical question: If, one day in the indeterminately-far future, we have Star Trek style food replicators, would it be halal to eat otherwise-forbidden food like pork as long as it was replicated, since it wouldn't technically have come from a pig or whatever, or would it still be haraam and the intent more important than the origin?

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Anyway I thought of a stupid and really nerdy hypothetical question: If, one day in the indeterminately-far future, we have Star Trek style food replicators, would it be halal to eat otherwise-forbidden food like pork as long as it was replicated, since it wouldn't technically have come from a pig or whatever, or would it still be haraam and the intent more important than the origin?
I... actually have no idea. That's a really good question. On the one hand, Islam is pretty straightforward about not lawyering the rules to sneak around them. On the other hand, when it refers to something forbidden like that it tends to be pretty specific.

Huh. I have no idea. TO GOOGLE. The majority of the results were about Judaism, since apparently they are much more up on the lab-grown/food replicator meat than we are:

quote:

According to a fairly recent real-world pronouncement from some rabbis, fabricated foods are not meat in the same way that butchered meat is. More specifically, they pronounced lab-grown pork kosher, while all butchered pork is invariably treif (unclean).

I'm not finding any rulings by Muslim clerics, interestingly. What I would guess is that it'd be a situation like other people have theorized in the results I found, which is if the ingredients are halal, the end is halal. If the ingredients are haram (like growing pork from pig stem cells or WHATEVER I don't know how this is done) then probably stay away from it.

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

Flagrant Abuse posted:

heh, I can only say what I believe that most scholars would think of this, but since replication hasnt been discussed I have no proof. Maybe it is a question to file away until we begin replicating food :)

I thik that it would still be haram. The reason is that Allah told us not to eat it. There was no condition on wear it comes from, whether cooking standards kill all of the parasites and microbes, or what the pig eats. It simply says, dont eat it.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Sinceit is Halloween today, how do Muslims feel about celebrating non-Islamic holidays? Can you do Halloween, or national holidays? Think 4th of July for American Muslims, Gay Fawkes in the UK and so on.

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

BattyKiara posted:

Sinceit is Halloween today, how do Muslims feel about celebrating non-Islamic holidays? Can you do Halloween, or national holidays? Think 4th of July for American Muslims, Gay Fawkes in the UK and so on.

We dont generally "celebrate" any holidays other tha the 2 Eid holidays of Islam.

It depends on what the activities are as to whether we can participate.

Halloween has its roots in the harvest feativals in Europe and isnt based in any significant religious overtones. People masquerade and hand out candies. I personally dont have an issue with this masquerading. Some muslims, similar to many Christians, may take a different view and incorrectly believe it to be a celebration of evil. I see it less as a holiday to celebrate and more of a "having fun" day.

We probably wouldnt dress up as satan, demons, false gods, etc. or put on our own halloween parties, but most often may join others.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
There's a mild stigma about celebrating other holidays, because we're told (at least here in Singapore), that we need to maintain distinct from people of other religions, mainly to minimize any 'corruption' of Islamic practices and rituals.

So yeah, I'd go to a Halloween party to hang out with friends, but I won't go so far as to dress up in a costume. I'd go to a Christmas party, but I'm not gonna be buying anyone any gifts. The actual day itself is a good excuse to have fun, but we're not supposed to partake in any of the traditions of the holiday.

For completely secular holidays, like national days or labour day or whatever, it's fine to kick back and watch the fireworks and have a picnic, etc, but it has to remain distinctly secular and non-religious.

Islam doesn't really encourage celebrations, as they may to lead to ostentatious displays and possible bad behaviour, but if you're using the opportunity of a non-work day to just chill out with friends and family (treating it like it was a Sunday), then it's all cool.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

BattyKiara posted:

Really depends on who you ask, to be honest. Most people I know would be fine with handing out candy or whatever, the more liberal with taking their children out trick or treating since in this day and age it's not a religious thing for the vast majority of Americans, I don't think. Same with Christmas, in my mind -- I still celebrate it with my mom and my sister's family because it was never a religious holiday for us, just a time when we all had time off to get together and be together as a family.

So yeah it'll kind of depend on who you ask, the holiday in question and other things. The Eids are the big holidays in Islam; if you are near a mosque or study center and they do any kind of open celebration on Eid al-Fitr, go to it because the food is amazing.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

Tendai posted:

So yeah it'll kind of depend on who you ask, the holiday in question and other things. The Eids are the big holidays in Islam; if you are near a mosque or study center and they do any kind of open celebration on Eid al-Fitr, go to it because the food is amazing.

When I worked in UAE some people in the office actually gave me gifts at one of the Eids. A box of chocolate covered dates and a very thin abaya decorated with silver embroidery. So for Christmas I brought in home made cookies and chocolates for everyone. Fun times :)

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm a horrible Muslim who has never particularly liked the taste of dates; I try again every year for Ramadan but they are still not my favorite fruit.

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

Tendai posted:

I'm a horrible Muslim who has never particularly liked the taste of dates; I try again every year for Ramadan but they are still not my favorite fruit.

heathen :argh:

Just kidding heh.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
hello thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv7ndaREzYc
i hope you like this song

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

HEY GAL posted:

hello thread
That is actually not bad. Huh.

Thank you!

Bonus answer: MUSIC IS HARAM INFIDEL!!!!!!! :jihad:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
brother ali is blind (and an albino), so when he says that god made him the way he is that's one of the things he's talking about

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

HEY GAL posted:

hello thread

Cool song.

Tendai posted:

Bonus answer: MUSIC IS HARAM INFIDEL!!!!!!! :jihad:

lol

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I have yet to see any topic cause as many online poo poo-fights in the English-speaking Muslim community than "is music allowed?" It's like the "does chili have beans in it" question is on SA.

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

Tendai posted:

I have yet to see any topic cause as many online poo poo-fights in the English-speaking Muslim community than "is music allowed?" It's like the "does chili have beans in it" question is on SA.

Yep. People argue over the dumbest stuff and in the end it doesn't really matter either way.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
I would hope music is allowed, or Chalf Hassan and Omar Faruk Tekbilek are in big trouble.

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

Flagrant Abuse posted:

I would hope music is allowed, or Chalf Hassan and Omar Faruk Tekbilek are in big trouble.

Its something that muslims debate and conservative minded muslims often claim. As a conservative minded muslim who is pretty educated in the faith I cant find solid justification for claiming it forbidden in the Prophets time, during the 4 subsequent Caliphates or islamic history.

Amun Khonsu fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 1, 2015

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Flagrant Abuse posted:

What Amun said, basically. Opinions seem fairly split between four levels of belief, that I've seen:

1) All music is bad
2) All music with vocals is bad
3) All music with vocals that have lyrics about fuckin' bitches and drinking (or other generally non-Islamic things) is bad.
4) No music is bad

I am a fervent believer in #4. A lot of Sufi tariqa fall between 2-4 depending on the specific school; music is often used as a meditation/devotional tool in some Sufi schools. Views 2 and 3 are the ones I've seen most commonly expressed in mixed (as in conservative and progressive) Islamic groups. Really just sort of depends on where you were raised, what sort of Islam you practice and what scholars you listen to.

Oh hey speaking of scholars, I ran across a link that was buried deep in my bookmarks and forgotten about and thought I'd mention Warith Deen Mohammed. He was one of the sons of Elijah Mohammed, of Nation of Islam fame, and he is the one who essentially shifted it over into being Islamic; this in turn led to splinters like Farrakhan, who revived the Nation of Islam name. The changes that brought the main body of what was the Nation of Islam into cohesion with standard Islam led to what was one of if not the largest mass conversions to Islam in the history of the United States.

Warith Deen Mohammed was basically an awesome guy in terms of reconciling being Muslim with values common among westerners. He was hugely into tying the Muslim community in the U.S. together across racial and cultural lines and also did a lot of work trying to promote inter-faith civility starting in the mid-to-late 1970s. He was the first Muslim to give the invocation in the Senate (House?) nope Senate, and probably one of the most respected American-born Islamic scholars in terms of how the rest of the world viewed him. When he died in 2008 Anderson Cooper called him "America's Imam" and that's pretty much true.

If I was forced to say I follow any particularly scholar, it would probably be him. He was really big on the idea of making a new fiqh, a new school of Islamic jurisprudence, in the U.S., because he viewed that the traditional schools were so steeped in cultural traditions and geographical influences as to simply not work for the U.S. or other dissimilar countries. This is something I agree on strongly.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
To me, music falls in the category of general entertainment. It's fine to listen to music, watch TV, read comic books, and engage in other forms of entertainment and recreation, but it's not fine to over-indulge in those things to the extent that you ignore prayers and reading the Qur'an or whatever.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Zakmonster posted:

To me, music falls in the category of general entertainment. It's fine to listen to music, watch TV, read comic books, and engage in other forms of entertainment and recreation, but it's not fine to over-indulge in those things to the extent that you ignore prayers and reading the Qur'an or whatever.
Actually you've hit on the head why I disagree with a ban on music, and put it in words that were better than mine. To me, Islam has always stressed the value of self-restraint over prohibition, with a few exceptions that are not, generally speaking, all that hard or odious to follow. I miss BLTs, sure, but it's not like I'm cutting myself off from eating, or even eating meat, entirely. My attitude runs the same way towards drugs and alcohol of some kind; going from the Qur'an, it looks more as if it's a case of "better not to, but if you do, use them with restraint and don't get drunk before you have to do important stuff." My interpretation there isn't the mainstream, I know, but quite honestly if Allah seems to be saying we're trusted to moderate ourselves with more obviously dangerous things, the idea that we couldn't be trusted to do that with music or any other entertainment is silly. There's a difference between really liking a group and being that insane chick who has a fanpage and tries to kill herself when the band breaks up.

Someone on another site recently posted a talk that Dr. Sayed Nakshawani did on Islam and the disabled, or more specifically on how traditionally Islamic cultures have treated the disabled. It's probably the most powerful talk on the subject I've ever heard from an Islamic scholar, particularly the part where he talks about mothers having to watch people treat their children without respect. Not gonna lie, that part made me cry thinking about my own mom and what she's seen people do or say to me over the years because of the dwarfism. Anyhow, I just thought it was a pretty fantastic lecture. He's an interesting person, only 33 or so and probably one of the more influential younger generation of Muslim scholars on the international scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0yA2Mi0NLo

Cacotopic Stain
Jun 25, 2013
I don't mean to sound offensive but I heard that magic is forbidden. How much does this apply to fiction like not reading Harry Potter for example? I searched about the topic but got many mixed messages. I don't mean to be rude just curious because I've never heard about this till a few days ago.

Where can I find books or stories about djinn that are not 1000 nights?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Hey all.

I have a question regarding the procedural elements of an Islamic service. I have a friend who's a real good singer. Voice like an angel and so forth. He's muslim, so we were chillin' and I said 'hey, you should sing the Adhan (I used the word 'shahada' cuz I'm an ignorant-rear end Catholic). I mentioned that he should sing the call to prayer for his congregation, and he said he shouldn't. It didn't seem to be false modesty, but a genuine idea that he specifically shouldn't be the guy who does it. Like maybe it's some kind of lay clergy thing and not what every John Q. Muslim would get to do? How does that work?

But it got me thinking. How does the organization of a Friday religious service work? I'm only really experienced with American christianity, where we basically gather in a room, watch the priest go up to the dais, pray, pray/sing, listen to a sermon, eat the what we believe to be (depending on our denomination) either the figurative or literal body of Jesus while praying/singing, and then leave after praying/singing some more.

At its barest, what is a Muslim religious service like? Like, the steps involved.

Please go easy on me if I said some ignorant offensive poo poo here. I didn't mean to, but I probably did.

Edit: an informative link would also be fine.

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Nov 12, 2015

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cacotopic Stain posted:

I don't mean to sound offensive but I heard that magic is forbidden. How much does this apply to fiction like not reading Harry Potter for example? I searched about the topic but got many mixed messages. I don't mean to be rude just curious because I've never heard about this till a few days ago.

Where can I find books or stories about djinn that are not 1000 nights?
That's one of those questions where the answer is "depends on how conservative you are." Offhand, most people that I know of are going to be more conservative against things involving sex and critical views of Islam, but there are plenty of people who would follow the fundamentalist line with regard to reading things that portray magic and what have you. I think that's kind of silly and have gotten in numerous internet slap-fights with people lately because I refuse to just confine myself to Islamic literature.

For books on djinn... guh, a lot of them are written by paranormal crackpot sorts. Literally the only one I can thin of that takes a somewhat scholarly view (albeit a heavily Islamic one) is The World of Jinn and Devils by al-Ashqar and Zarabozo. I don't remember it being all paranormal woo-woo UFO poo poo but it has also been nearly 20 years or so since I read it so I could be forgetting. There is not a lot of critical or scholarly literature on them available that I'm aware of. Honestly, all I really know about them comes from the Qur'an and random Islamic-area folklore.

They're interesting, basically accorded a lot of the same mentions that humans are but with an additional magical (not the right word but I don't know what is) aspect. The Qur'an specifies that both humans and djinn were created to worship Allah, some are Muslim and some aren't. There's a whole surah in the Qur'an called al-Jinn that talks about a group of djinn basically converting. Actually this website has a decent write up that pulls verses from the Qur'an:

https://islaamiccreed.wordpress.com/2013/03/02/the-good-and-bad-jinn-and-messengers-among-jinn/

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I have a question regarding the procedural elements of an Islamic service. I have a friend who's a real good singer. Voice like an angel and so forth. He's muslim, so we were chillin' and I said 'hey, you should sing the Adhan (I used the word 'shahada' cuz I'm an ignorant-rear end Catholic). I mentioned that he should sing the call to prayer for his congregation, and he said he shouldn't. It didn't seem to be false modesty, but a genuine idea that he specifically shouldn't be the guy who does it. Like maybe it's some kind of lay clergy thing and not what every John Q. Muslim would get to do? How does that work?

But it got me thinking. How does the organization of a Friday religious service work? I'm only really experienced with American christianity, where we basically gather in a room, watch the priest go up to the dais, pray, pray/sing, listen to a sermon, eat the what we believe to be (depending on our denomination) either the figurative or literal body of Jesus while praying/singing, and then leave after praying/singing some more.

At its barest, what is a Muslim religious service like? Like, the steps involved.

Please go easy on me if I said some ignorant offensive poo poo here. I didn't mean to, but I probably did.

Edit: an informative link would also be fine.
The adhan does include the shahada so you're not too far off. It just also includes what's called the takbir, i.e., allahu akbar, "God is great." Depending on the time of day, they also call out about how it's better to pray than to sleep. Then once people are actually at the mosque, they call for them to line up to pray. The only real qualification is knowing what to say and having a beautiful voice as far as I know, there is system of clerical ordination in Islam. Imams are generally just guys who went to theological school and who are good leaders, for example, not anyone who's gone through a ceremony or been ordained. So basically, the requirements for adhan are good Muslim and good voice. There might be more for different sects but I'm not sure.

These are the basic steps for Friday prayer services; they may vary from place to place but these are kind of the basics as I've experienced/known them.
  1. Take off your shoes and enter
  2. Do the tahyatul masjid, a prayer that basically serves the purpose of (and translates to) "the prayer to greet the mosque."
  3. Everyone sits down
  4. Adhan goes out, everyone hushes up
  5. The imam or prayer leader will give a khutbah, the equivalent of a sermon. The first one will generally be longer, followed by a short period of silent prayer, then a short ending khutbah.
  6. Then someone will give the iqaamah, which is like a condensed adhan and indicates that it's prayer time for everyone.
  7. Everyone stands up shoulder to shoulder and does two "cycles" of prayers with the imam.
  8. Once you're done, everyone greets each other and it's generally a time of brotherhood and "hey, I hope you get what you prayed for."

BabyArm
Mar 29, 2005

Like I give a crap!
Thanks for sharing your personal stories. I've learned quite a bit from this thread and found it to be a great learning experience for those goons (like me) who don't have a personal connection to Islam.

I have a question about the end of Ramadan: I learned that at the end of the fasting period, there's a three day celebration with family/friends and exchanging gifts called Eid a-Fitr. Can you elaborate a bit more on what kinds of gifts (Eidi) are given and some of the symbolic visual cues like the crescent moon and lanterns?

As a bonus, what's your favorite meal to eat during Eid?

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

BabyArm posted:

Thanks for sharing your personal stories. I've learned quite a bit from this thread and found it to be a great learning experience for those goons (like me) who don't have a personal connection to Islam.

I have a question about the end of Ramadan: I learned that at the end of the fasting period, there's a three day celebration with family/friends and exchanging gifts called Eid a-Fitr. Can you elaborate a bit more on what kinds of gifts (Eidi) are given and some of the symbolic visual cues like the crescent moon and lanterns?

As far as I know it's actually only one day, which is the 1st of Syawal (the month after Ramadhan). Of course, there's nothing stopping you from extending your celebrations, especially for people who have to travel to see their families.

Here in SEA, we call it Hari Raya (Day of Celebration) its an opportunity to catch up with extended family you'd otherwise rarely see. The first week is always the busiest for visits. Sometimes you'd have entire families (aunts, uncles, cousins, nephews, nieces, et al) traveling in a large group going from one house to the other. My father has 8 brothers and sisters, so it can get pretty crowded. I've seen families charter a bus.

The first day is for close family, so typically everyone gathers at one house of a previously selected family member. This is usually the grandparents' house cos it makes the most sense, but it doesn't have to be. My dad's side of the family always goes to one particular uncle's house, cos that's where my grandmother stays. My mom's side will cycle amongst the siblings, cos both grandparents on that side are no longer with us.

As for gifts, there usually isn't a formal exchange, at least not where I'm from. There's a cultural thing where if you're a young person who is not working, all the working adults give you money in pretty green packets (kinda like a Chinese hongbao). As a kid, you plan your yearly budget around your Hari Raya money.

There is quite a bit of prep that comes before the actual day. Since you're gonna have people visiting, you wanna make sure your house is nicely decorated and stuff. There's always a ton of pastries and snacks laid out, so that's a common thing that gets exchanged, although this always happens like a week before Eid. Honestly though, the entire month of Ramadhan is like a lowkey celebration that culminates in an explosion of lights and colors on Eid itself. A thing that happens every Ramadhan is the bazaar, which is mini festival in and of itself. The bazaar used to be in one neighborhood, but over the past 5 years or so, several similarly sized ones have popped up in other areas across the island.

And the first day is when everyone is dressed to the nines. Typical traditional Malay clothing, all bright and colorful and shiny and way too hot for our weather. Sometimes families or couples coordinate their colors, sometimes not, and sometimes the lazy people just go around in t-shirt and jeans (this person is typically the host).

Food. Oh God, I can go on forever about this. For Eid, we generally tend to make food that can last a while, cos you're likely going to be too busy/tired to cook for about 3 days. Here's a typical menu, and everything on that list is awesome and gloriously fattening.

Zakmonster fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 13, 2015

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

BabyArm posted:

Yep, that's... well, if people ask me what the Muslim equivalent of Christmas is, I point to that. You give presents, you renew bonds with friends and family, it's a general period of feeling good about your fellow man combined with the relaxation of Ramadan ending and it's pretty cool even for me as someone who lives around literally 0 other Muslims and has 0 Muslim family members. I can't really speak to a lot of the common things because of that, but I can mention a few. The present-giving part of it isn't something I've taken much part in; my family is all non-Muslim and does an entirely secular celebration at Christmas since we're all in education and have time off together, so I've never pushed it.

For people like me that don't have Muslim family or who are far away and can't go home, mosques will often do what's more or less an open house potluck. And they are uniformly amazing. I have yet to be to one where the resident Little Old Lady Crew didn't just cook the poo poo out of whatever cultural cuisine background they came from. Mostly Middle Eastern stuff at the ones I've been to, but it mostly depends on demographics. And even within that there are so many variations. Foods off-hand I can think of:

Kaak (I don't know how to spell a lot of these SO bear with me) which are an Egyptian cookie with nuts and powdered sugar and are so good. Kebda eskandrani which is an Egyptian liver dish. That is, a dish with liver, from Egypt. Not one made out of Egyptian peoples' livers. It's spicy and really good. Mashi is another Egyptian dish, basically stuffed green peppers or tomatoes or other things that can be stuffed, filled with rice and etc, topped with tomato sauce and lime. Murtabbak I'm not sure where it's from, but it's basically a stuffed fried bread with mutton or curry or whatever.

If you're really lucky there will also be incredibly good coffee, which you can drink with your equally incredibly good desserts. It's basically one of those times where the first time I went to one I'm relatively sure that I literally ate until I was stupid. Then you can sit and watch the little kids with their Eid gifts just cracked the gently caress out on sugar, and most of their parents just "holy gently caress I'm hungry okay just don't set anything on fire." :3: It's pretty cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer
I typically by an Eid gift for my kids for both Eid Al-Adha (Festival of the Sacrifice) and Eid ul-Fitr (Festival of Breaking the Fast; at the end of Ramadan) and it is common in our family to give all under age kids a little money.

Since most of my extended in-laws are Southasian, we typically get Lamb chops and Curry :D

• Locked thread