Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Omnicrom posted:

Only the very original series. He had nothing to do with Duel Monsters onward. ...Thus when you watch Toei's Yugioh and you notice that the show doesn't even pay lipservice to the game having rules, or there's a noticeable lack of threat or tension in the matchs, or they invent interesting ideas or cards that completely flop and are underutilized you can guess it's Inoue.

which one is it, because toei's started with duel monsters

also part of the reason it didn't pay lip service to rules is the game came out the year before the show started which means it was already in production plus YGO has poo poo garbage rules anyway so yolo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Poison Mushroom posted:

Why does anyone still let him near television scripts?

Honestly I think it's mostly because of Jetman. As much as Burkion hates the poo poo out of Jetman a LOT of Sentai fans hold it in very high regard consider it one of the best in the franchise. To a certain tedious portion of the fanbase Jetman was the last good SERIOUS MATURE sentai series before Zyuranger ruined it forever by making their kid's show a show for kids. Also people remember Agito fondly. Really Inoue has been steadily employed for years, so sadly he isn't going anywhere.

Literally The Worst posted:

which one is it, because toei's started with duel monsters

also part of the reason it didn't pay lip service to rules is the game came out the year before the show started which means it was already in production plus YGO has poo poo garbage rules anyway so yolo

No, the Toei Yugioh series refers specifically to the very first Yugioh anime that roughly adapts the first handful of volumes of the manga. Yugioh Duel Monsters is the better known show that covered the whole of the manga and launched the entire anime franchise, that one was done by Studio Gallop.

As for the rules the Toei series made a much bigger deal of the card game than the actual manga did, which possibly made sense since the manga was in Duelist Kingdom at this point. However and even in those early manga appearances the game kept roughly to a set of rules (albeit stupid ones) and the Toei anime never really even managed that.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Yugioh was so cool before they started relying entirely on that card game :negative:

Every chapter was like a hosed-up Twilight Zone where Yami basically rigged a game in order to plunge an rear end in a top hat with a gambling problem into an ironic hell dimension of his own choosing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Crossposting this from my Power Rangers thread:

Power Rangers Shuriken comes exclusively to Netflix in 2017

So Power Rangers is becoming a Netflix-exclusive show, and they're not making a ToQger adaptation. Not a fan of this news...

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

First Gobusters, now ToQger. It's a drat shame. There's almost no way an animal sentai like Juuouger won't be adaptable, but I almost hope it will be just to spite them. :colbert:

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
It could be okay I guess?

I'm already pretty interested in Shuriken just because I want to see if they try to shove a Battilizer into a series where the Red Ranger already gets a mostly exclusive power-up. I mean I guess they did it with Dino Thunder

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Maybe it'll be better (or at least more consistent) than Ninninger.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I kinda suspected that ToQger would be a bit hard to adapt. I mean, yes, kids in America like trains, but they aren't really a part of their daily life like in Japan.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Yeah, I can totally see Traingers being a hard sell for American kids.

Ninjas on the other hand will always be cool.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Super Sentai makes kids dream big dreams. I dream of a functional and reliable public transportation system.

i can see it. my final stop. 2 hours from now. :smith:

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Cernunnos posted:

Maybe it'll be better (or at least more consistent) than Ninninger.

Inconsistent is a really good word for Ninninger. When it's good it's good. When it's bad it's soul sucking.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Well maybe netflix let's them go wild with Fred Dominick "Free Dom" Mc'EagleTexas the most :911: 6th ranger to ever promote :911:Freedom:911: and :911:liberty:911:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Zedd posted:

Well maybe netflix let's them go wild with Fred Dominick "Free Dom" Mc'EagleTexas the most :911: 6th ranger to ever promote :911:Freedom:911: and :911:liberty:911:

Completely, unironically, this. If Power Rangers-Version Starninjer isn't called Rodeo Ranger and just non-stop, level 11 :911:/:clint: every second of every episode, then I don't even know what Saban thinks they're doing with their lives.

Like, I want all his scenes to turn into loving musicals from the second he morphs, where a crazy fiddle kicks in and he just starts barking out his lines like a Barn Dance MC. "Oooooh swing that saber do-si-do! Round and round and round it goes!"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Omnicrom posted:

Honestly I think it's mostly because of Jetman. As much as Burkion hates the poo poo out of Jetman a LOT of Sentai fans hold it in very high regard consider it one of the best in the franchise. To a certain tedious portion of the fanbase Jetman was the last good SERIOUS MATURE sentai series before Zyuranger ruined it forever by making their kid's show a show for kids. Also people remember Agito fondly. Really Inoue has been steadily employed for years, so sadly he isn't going anywhere.

I can have a reputation of being one of the grognards who only likes older things and SERIOUS MATURE stuff.

While I prefer serious over silly, especially the weird self referential stuff Sentai tends to devolve into, I have never had any illusions about Super Sentai being a kids show. I mean, for the love of Christ, the single most serious and dramatic Sentai series, Liveman, had a weaponized skateboard because it's a show literally made for kids.

Jetman was a show I really wanted to watch and enjoy because I heard a lot of good things about it. And then I watched it and holy poo poo nope.

I have no idea how anyone thinks this is a serious mature ANYTHING. People like to joke about the Noodlecup monster, but the problem is that he's not a joke- he's literally just a MOTW and if anything, his episode was one of the more straight faced ones! Hell at least his design was good- the other stupid monsters in the entire first half of Jetman are all god awful and unimaginative, often just giving whatever object it is a generic green monster man body and being done with it.

When things do get serious, it's not actually serious- it's melodramatic soap opera fair that is peak Inoue. The majority of the cast are unlikable, the action sucks, the giant robots AND monsters are boring- Jetman is an awful Sentai series.

At least Zyuranger had fantastically creative monsters and good action scenes, never mind how I feel about the children of the week plots and tone. I seriously do not understand how Jetman has the reputation it has. The entire first half is filled with stuff that would fit better in Carranger or GoOnger, and when it does get 'serious' it's really awful and boring. The final episode can also sit and spin for all its worth.

Bioman best Sentai for the record. Insane nonstop action with lasers and explosions 24/7 every day.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Maybe they can make Nininger good.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Is there really any reason I need to watch Decade 23 and 24 around Shinkenger 21? I didn't before, I don't plan to now, but I don't remember if I missed anything important.

Also, is the movie any good?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Poison Mushroom posted:

Is there really any reason I need to watch Decade 23 and 24 around Shinkenger 21? I didn't before, I don't plan to now, but I don't remember if I missed anything important.

Because it was a two week crossover between the shows

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Poison Mushroom posted:

it's ok. It's not in any way important unless you really want more Decade.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

it's ok. It's not in any way important unless you really want more Decade.
Is there any way to get less Decade? Like, erase it from my mind?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Poison Mushroom posted:

Nope. This is also Decade's fault.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
It's not important to the plot, but you get more Genta.

The movie is okay, but it's also canon. Sort of. Takeru gets a new toy that shows up again later in the main show.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Poison Mushroom posted:

That is literally crazy talk.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

BTW, somebody tell ShinkenAnon we love him.

Dude deserves, like, forty-nine beers.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

V-Men posted:

That is literally crazy talk.

Decade had a Faiz that was worse than Faiz. That alone should be grounds for erasing it from existence.

I'm also a huge fan of the real Kuuga and not at all comfortable with the treatment Kuuga got in that show, but that's less important.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Poison Mushroom posted:

BTW, somebody tell ShinkenAnon we love him.

Dude deserves, like, forty-nine beers.

I'm sure he'll prefer this to the last thing from the thread he saw.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Son Ryo posted:

Decade had a Faiz that was worse than Faiz. That alone should be grounds for erasing it from existence.

I'm also a huge fan of the real Kuuga and not at all comfortable with the treatment Kuuga got in that show, but that's less important.

To its credit though, I did kind of like Decade's version of Hibiki better than the real one and thought the whole Kamen Rider Salaryman aspect of its Blade adaption was kind of neat (hell, I'd probably watch a whole show based on that concept). Kuuga I agree with you on though, especially since half the time he seemed to just forget he was a Kamen Rider himself. I think he only transformed like 5 or 6 times at the most in the entire series, movies included.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 31, 2015

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Son Ryo posted:

That had Decade playing tennis, so that can't go.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

V-Men posted:

That had Decade playing tennis, so that can't go.
I don't accept "there is a good scene (that you can watch on youtube)" as an argument in favor of a series' quality.

Same reason the Giant Enemy Crab scene doesn't count.

Edit I still stand by the opinion that Kabuto has the largest suit quality:show quality gap. All the suits just look so loving slick, and I will love the aesthetics of TheBee until the day I die.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
It has just hit me that there is no Ghost this week so, instead of watching a series that might be getting better, how about you guys point me to a series that maybe isn't that good but that I'm interested in?

Where can I find some decent Kabuto subs?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cernunnos posted:

It has just hit me that there is no Ghost this week so, instead of watching a series that might be getting better, how about you guys point me to a series that maybe isn't that good but that I'm interested in?

Where can I find some decent Kabuto subs?

this is the only project that seems to be recent. no idea how much of an improvement it is over TVN https://yongouoveryander.wordpress.com/

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
Bioman 40

Monster and Juo steal a car to go on a joyride. And Juo seems to watch The Beverly Hillbillies.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FortMax posted:

Bioman 40

Monster and Juo steal a car to go on a joyride. And Juo seems to watch The Beverly Hillbillies.

AS WELL HE SHOULD

(thank you)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FortMax posted:

Bioman 40

holy poo poo does this mean bioman is actually going to finish

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
In the last week, I've gotten scripts for the rest of the episodes. Only thing I don't have yet is the movie.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FortMax posted:

In the last week, I've gotten scripts for the rest of the episodes. Only thing I don't have yet is the movie.

dope, i was only holding of on it for lack of those last 12 episodes

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
double posting to say that i'm going to add the sentai section to the second post, finally, when it's done i'll ask y'all if there's anything i'm missing. i'm gonna try and leave stalled out projects that didnt get too far like hurricanger off .

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

FortMax posted:

Do you guys have any plans on picking Fiveman back up at some point?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
aight list is up, i know there's a few things missing, like i know someone was doing magiranger but i don't remember who, and i still need to do links for errything

also if you folks who like ultraman and what not could chime in on what's subbed, fan or otherwise, and where, that'd be rad, because i don't know anything about that

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Magiranger's here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

oh wow and its finished. dope, there's that taken care of

also if any of you nerds has the bioman mp4s to seed i love you, if not i'll wait till the batch

• Locked thread