Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mdemone posted:

I'm kind of surprised that nobody has ever made an rear end of themselves about the constitutionality of the WPR. Or maybe they have and everyone else was like "shut up, this doesn't go anywhere good".

The only instance I can really think of that the WPR was flat out violated was Libya, where rather than the usual "well we don't think it's constitutional but we'll follow it anyway to be polite", the Administration instead argued that while they didn't think it was constitutional, it also didn't apply (unconvincingly - while I agree the WPR is unconstitutional if it's not unconstitutional it clearly applied).

The WPR issue was clouded by the hilarity of Republicans, who the day before had been chest-pounding about how weak Obama was for not acting, suddenly found out he had acted and were busy rewriting their talking points about how he should never have gone in and it was incredibly foolish. Because of how blatantly self-interested the Republican opposition was, the WPR issues got caught up and mostly ignored in that. The House eventually voted to 'rebuke' Obama for violating the WPR, but nobody cared because it was the House Republicans talking about how Obama did a bad thing - not exactly a credible bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Good to see my Congressman calling out the administration for using a false justification to go to war this morning.

I've only seen the usual suspects (in addition to Welch), like Barbara Lee and Justin Amash calling for this in the House, but Tim Kaine did give a Senate speech today about the need for an actual declaration of war.

AegisP posted:

Well there's nothing stopping Congress from coming together and saying to the Executive, "Hey, loving stop that, there's no way we authorized you to do that when you cite that other thing as your justification," except for the fact that Congress itself doesn't want to touch the issue with a ten-foot pole.
I mean that was the whole point of Obama submitting a new AUMF to Congress that was meant specifically to fight ISIL. Then Bohener/Congress spat it back in his face and said "no", so now Obama is continuing to use 2001 AUMF when the legality of using it is somwehat tenuous and using it in that way also massively increases the power of the presidency/decreases the power of Congress.

Turns out Republicans care more about being obstructionists even if it gives Obama a blank check w/r/t the Middle East, and this is the result.

Also this announcement is really just acknowledging the truth on the ground, and the fact that we've had special forces there for a while now.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

fade5 posted:

Also this announcement is really just acknowledging the truth on the ground, and the fact that we've had special forces there for a while now.

Bingo, there've been Special Forces in Syria pretty much from day one, we're just being open about it now as a negotiation tactic heading into Vienna.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

evilweasel posted:

The constitutional theory is that Congress has a remedy, impeachment. The Supreme Court does not get involved because judging if the President has violated the Constitution in this aspect is delegated to Congress through its impeachment power.

As for the abstract theory of how it is "supposed to work", the issue is the Constitution is ambiguous. The President is the Commander in Chief, the Congress can declare war. But there's no lines drawn about what the power to declare war means, and what powers the President lacks without a declaration of war. Most theory comes down on the side of the President: the President commands the military, and that power extends into peacetime. Congress can exercise its power of the purse to control the military but its ability to declare war does not act as a constraint on the President's powers - instead it's effectively a ceremonial role.

Also at the time the Constitution was written and ratified, there was no standing army, right? So it seems like given that historical context, the Congress' remedy to a President doing unauthorized poo poo with the military during peacetime would be to disband it, as it was briefly disbanded after the Revolutionary War. Seems like this conflict is more a symptom of the Constitution being written without a standing national army in mind.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Reztes posted:

Also at the time the Constitution was written and ratified, there was no standing army, right? So it seems like given that historical context, the Congress' remedy to a President doing unauthorized poo poo with the military during peacetime would be to disband it, as it was briefly disbanded after the Revolutionary War. Seems like this conflict is more a symptom of the Constitution being written without a standing national army in mind.

Yes: not only that, but the Constitution bans the funding of a standing army (though not a standing navy) for periods longer than two years so it's not like the President can veto it: Congress can simply stop agreeing to fund the army and poof, it vanishes. Congress...has not been interested in using this power.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

I think Reince realized he needed to get out in front of this to make the RNC seem pro-active. Trump and Carson got this dog by the nose, might as well pretend that the dog wanted to go there anyways.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
And outside the White House, Pope Babby I greets the Obamas :3:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
pope babby please make the request that we dont send the big men to shoot guns at the other big men

follow in the steps of big pope

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Helen Thomas is BACK baby, and she's not going until you answer her question!

...I miss her :(

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-medical-pot-20141216-story.html

Boehner's last act a) ended federal ban on marijuana research and b) prohibits feds from raiding retail ops in states where weed's legal

a good boehner

What's with the date on this?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

evilweasel posted:

Yes: not only that, but the Constitution bans the funding of a standing army (though not a standing navy) for periods longer than two years so it's not like the President can veto it: Congress can simply stop agreeing to fund the army and poof, it vanishes. Congress...has not been interested in using this power.

Yeah that's exactly it. Funding and impeachment.
Plus you know the public can vote a president out.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

"One last question, first row. You don't have a question but you just want to tell me what a great press secretary I am? Aw, thanks Mr. Bones, no one ever tells me that !"

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Still waiting on answers about Benghazi.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
Spot the potential issue regarding Syria and "Troops on the Ground"

OCT 13th Debate posted:

SANDERS: ... We should be putting together a coalition of Arab countries who should be leading the effort. We should be supportive, but I do not support American ground troops in Syria.
CLINTON: ...Well, nobody does. Nobody does, Senator Sanders.

Obama sending troops, even if it's just 50 "advisers", completely takes away a huge talking point against the GOP. You had guys like Bush going around saying 10k troops in Syria.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

lol indeed,

27 + 48 = 76

:downsbravo:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Humans Among Us posted:

lol indeed,

27 + 48 = 76

Sounds like some more "fuzzy math".

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Humans Among Us posted:

lol indeed,

27 + 48 = 76

27.4 + 48.4 = 75.8

rounded

27 + 48 = 76

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Humans Among Us posted:

lol indeed,

27 + 48 = 76

Jeb Bush wouldn't still be running if he and his staff weren't bad at math.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Mitt Romney posted:

27.4 + 48.4 = 75.8

rounded

27 + 48 = 76

Yeah that's just rounding.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mitt Romney posted:

Spot the potential issue regarding Syria and "Troops on the Ground"

Obama sending troops, even if it's just 50 "advisers", completely takes away a huge talking point against the GOP. You had guys like Bush going around saying 10k troops in Syria.

The issue is as much as it pisses off non-interventionists rightly or wrongly, when you get down to what it really means it's 'look no one wants troops on the ground so we're gonna drag our feet and play the semantics game to keep them as small as possible and not actually INVADE this nation at the very least' vs 'gently caress IT GO IN AND gently caress RUSSIAN AND SYRIA RIGHT UP', and all but the most stringent non-interventionists will go 'well gently caress I guess that first one is a better flavor of imperialism at least'.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

evilweasel posted:

There is no chance in hell the Supreme Court would take the case. The Supreme Court is not willing to issue orders on how military units are to be deployed and used: if Congress is unhappy with the President over the use of force, their remedy is impeachment.

Or they could just act; as in do something. Of course the party in charge is going to do nothing because they'd rather be able to bitch about it than actually take responsibility.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Man Hillary has a hairy face.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Guh

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-medical-pot-20141216-story.html

Boehner's last act a) ended federal ban on marijuana research and b) prohibits feds from raiding retail ops in states where weed's legal

a good boehner

I bet he got high as gently caress on his last day.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Imagine how horrifying a ted cruz one would look like

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hillary is the best and all but that's a little much. At least it isn't a RomneyRyan tattoo.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Probably the strongest Congressional Hits and Misses of the year. Bill Nelson's brain reaching escape velocity. Harry Reid trolling Republicans on the Hastert rule. A Ted Cruz speech. And an open mic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNQHkjAI8Fc

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Naboo's actually an example of the whole Republic vs Democracy thing that sometimes comes up: Amidala was a queen, which meant that Naboo might not have had a Legislative / Executive branch that she would answer to or limit her powers, but at the same time she was elected to be a queen, which means Naboo is technically a Republic since the selection of the next monarch is not by birth, even if the head-of-state does have monarchical powers.

Naboo's actually an example of lazy writing and Lucas wanting to have something both ways because Amidala is 14- something that makes complete sense for a monarch-by-birth and no sense at all for an elected leader.

But Naboo are the good guys and good guys=freedom and reason so our exotic child queen must also be democratically elected. Hell, Lucas even shoots his elementary school 'racism is bad' message in the foot in service of this by making the gungans the ones who show any shred of intolerance or unwillingness to come together.

But since

seiferguy posted:

I wonder how people would have reacted had they kept the Luke & Biggs on Tatooine scene in there.

It would've made the movie better. It would've done a better job of contextualizing Luke/Biggs' relationship when they meet in the base, it would've given more weight to Luke's feelings of restlessness and aimlessness on Tatooine, and it would've given Biggs' death a lot more symbolic meaning.

It's Classic Narrative Building 101 and it's also obvious that everything else involving Biggs was shot with this relationship in mind, making the intro scene's omission so much more baffling.

HisMajestyBOB posted:

I bet he got high as gently caress on his last day.

He's got his spine, he's got his orange crkush.

(As somebody who would love to get in on the science side of the burgeoning cannabis industry, this is personally really big for me)

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!

greatn posted:

Qui-Gon's theories about midi-chlorians were not accepted by mainstream Jedi religious leaders and is one of the reasons he never made it onto the council. He believed a midichlorian count to have a causative relationship to a force user's potential, when in fact it was only correlative.

The whole problem, of course, is that the originals established that Jedi and Sith can sense someone with a strong connection to the Force.

If you want to present someone as a messiah, you don't give them a blood test with your best bedside manner, you test them with the gom jabbar.

:goonsay: :goonsay: :goonsay:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Joementum posted:

Probably the strongest Congressional Hits and Misses of the year. Bill Nelson's brain reaching escape velocity. Harry Reid trolling Republicans on the Hastert rule. A Ted Cruz speech. And an open mic.

How have I not seen these before? :swoon: Bless you, Joementum!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hodgepodge posted:

The whole problem, of course, is that the originals established that Jedi and Sith can sense someone with a strong connection to the Force.

If you want to present someone as a messiah, you don't give them a blood test with your best bedside manner, you test them with the gom jabbar.

:goonsay: :goonsay: :goonsay:

It's almost as though the point was to show how out of touch the Jedi were with their philosophy, like the real life religious institutions.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Hearing reports of clearly marked as classified stuff sent/received by HRC from Politico with right-wing sites claiming to have screenshots.

Berners are likely pumped.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!

computer parts posted:

It's almost as though the point was to show how out of touch the Jedi were with their philosophy, like the real life religious institutions.

Except the guy who gave the blood test was the true believer outcast wandering in the desert and finally finding his messiah. He's exactly the one who should be saying "I can't believe the Council needs a blood test, they shouldn't even have to look at him directly to tell."

Also the bullshit test needs to be an actual challenge still (ie, the gom jabbar). This is really basic stuff.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

mlmp08 posted:

Hearing reports of clearly marked as classified stuff sent/received by HRC from Politico with right-wing sites claiming to have screenshots.

Your perpetual turgidity for the clearly absurd classification rules never ceases to amuse.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hodgepodge posted:

Except the guy who gave the blood test was the true believer outcast wandering in the desert and finally finding his messiah. He's exactly the one who should be saying "I can't believe the Council needs a blood test, they shouldn't even have to look at him directly to tell."

Nope, because Qui-Gon is still "part of the system". The Jedi Order created the prophecy in the first place, and his goal is to fulfill it.

You can compare him to Jor-El in Man of Steel: "We couldn't [come to Earth], Kal. No matter how much we wanted to. No matter how we loved you. Your mother, Lara, and I were a product of the failures of our world as much as Zod was."

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Joementum posted:

Apparently the guy who was supposed to "get his rear end down there" turned out to be Chris Murphy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh and one time? I answered Dora right away? And she just stood there quietly for like a million seconds as if she didn't hear me!!

• Locked thread