Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

tribbledirigible posted:

Yeah, but the SW blaster/turbolaser bolts are actually excited gas particles that gently caress you up on impact. That's why they're visible and that's why they're able to deflect them with lightsabers. Thanks, SW EU!

I always assumed that if you shot a regular bullet at a jedi and he deflected it all that he would do is cover himself in high speed molten lead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Novum posted:

I always assumed that if you shot a regular bullet at a jedi and he deflected it all that he would do is cover himself in high speed molten lead.
He could just force push it though?

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer

Arrath posted:

The kind of idiot that can use mystical powers to block/deflect every shot coming his way, obviously.

Wouldn't that mean you'd also be pretty great at just dodging/not being where bullets are going to be while also using your mystical powers to shoot people with your gun?

Edit: Apparently a character in one of the newer cartoons has a blaster built into the hilt of his lightsaber. Just give everyone those!

El Cid has a new favorite as of 17:51 on Oct 30, 2015

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

El Cid posted:

Wouldn't that mean you'd also be pretty great at just dodging/not being where bullets are going to be while also using your mystical powers to shoot people with your gun?

Cmon, man! Everyone knows lightsaber are more elegant. They're not as clumsy or random as a blaster!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

El Cid posted:

Yes, as is evident by Anakin being an amazing pilot. But swords are cool :cheeky:

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Ravenfood posted:

He could just force push it though?

In my experience as a viewer, bullets are faster than space lasers and also if that were true couldn't they just magic away the lasers too?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The big reason (in universe) they went with blasters instead of slug throwers is armor.

Granted, Jedi can block either (with the force, or with the saber), but when 99% of the galaxy is just regular dudes who might be wearing body army you want something that will kill em or incapacitate em easily. Yea, armor might give a bit if you shot someone with a regular pistol, but a blaster will poke a hole straight through it and cook their internal organs.

Hell, in Vader's case even a blaster didn't do poo poo. He blocked/absorbed the shots Han fired at him and made everyone sit down and eat dinner.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Guns and cellphones actually working correctly in movies would ruin most of them.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

Those fire and ice guns are so loving stupid. If you flip it around and are in a world where the fire and ice guns are the norm and the bad guys use lead-firing guns as super weapons the concept would make more sense.

Two weeks ago they had a guy shoot at the Flash with a regular gun and he moved fast enough to catch the bullet. Earlier in the episode he almost died from getting hit by a slow moving freeze ray.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

JT Smiley posted:

Two weeks ago they had a guy shoot at the Flash with a regular gun and he moved fast enough to catch the bullet. Earlier in the episode he almost died from getting hit by a slow moving freeze ray.
Guess he shouldn't have tried to catch it.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

darkhand posted:

Guns and cellphones actually working correctly in movies would ruin most of them.

Hear hear!

Seriously, if these things are genuine irritating movie moments for you you need to reevaluate your attitude to film because believe it or not, especially in scifi, suspension of disbelief is kind of a requirement for the whole thing to work.

This really is an enjoyable thread mostly, especially when it's pointed out a film breaks its own rules, but lets not get bogged down on realistic impracticalities because really, there'd be no end in sight.

I'll post something worthwhile once I'm done travelling and not on my phone, but maybe some of you can point out the difference between suspension of disbelief ans genuine plot holes/irritating movie moments in the last film I saw: Minority Report.

There should be plenty to say about that one.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Taeke posted:

This really is an enjoyable thread mostly, especially when it's pointed out a film breaks its own rules, but lets not get bogged down on realistic impracticalities because really, there'd be no end in sight.
We're on page 238, buddy.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

The existence of flak launchers in Jedi Knight makes me seriously question why they are not the de facto jedi killing machine.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Taeke posted:

I'll post something

Please don't

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

Taeke posted:

Hear hear!

Seriously, if these things are genuine irritating movie moments for you you need to reevaluate your attitude to film because believe it or not, especially in scifi, suspension of disbelief is kind of a requirement for the whole thing to work.

I'll post something worthwhile once I'm done travelling and not on my phone, but maybe some of you can point out the difference between suspension of disbelief ans genuine plot holes/irritating movie moments in the last film I saw: Minority Report.

In Minority Report they make it clear that the precogs can only detect premeditated murders, but if Tom Cruise's character had shot that dude he was accused of shooting, it clearly would have been manslaughter. He did it in a fit of rage and without any premeditation what so ever, hell the bad guys plan hinged on it.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

It's almost like these irritations are irrational... weird...

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Mister Nobody posted:

In Minority Report they make it clear that the precogs can only detect premeditated murders, but if Tom Cruise's character had shot that dude he was accused of shooting, it clearly would have been manslaughter. He did it in a fit of rage and without any premeditation what so ever, hell the bad guys plan hinged on it.

He's been planning on murdering the man who kidnapped his son for like ten years.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mister Nobody posted:

It was premeditated, but not by the Cruiser.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Taeke posted:

Hear hear!

You're missing the word in the title that precedes "irritating movie moments". Its "irrational". :colbert:

quote:

It doesn't matter how big or small it is, if it bugs you, post about it here and other people will probably quote it and go "yep that bothers me too". Sometimes movie directors don't know anything about movie directing, it happens.

Post whatever you like but don't bitch about other people's posting.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mister Nobody posted:

Um no? This was actually a huge part of the movie. Precogs can detect both types of murders. Crimes of passion are red balls while premeditated murders are wooden balls. The big difference is that premeditated murders can be detected earlier on, with crimes of passion they have very little time after the precog before they can prevent the murder.

You're kinda missing a huge part of how everything works.

That said, Anderton's ball is a wooden ball which implies premeditation, which his murder is not, so yeah that is a plot hole, just for more complicated reasons. It should have been a red ball, although I think the red balls were just dyed wood so maybe it just appeared to be the wrong color? But again there's the time difference thing. Its not well handled either way.

Krinkle posted:

He's been planning on murdering the man who kidnapped his son for like ten years.

That's not how premeditation works. You can't plan on killing somebody without knowing who it is. That's just a drive for vengeance for 10 years which results in a murder of passion.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Uwe Boll parachute account spotted

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Zaphod42 posted:

That's not how premeditation works. You can't plan on killing somebody without knowing who it is. That's just a drive for vengeance for 10 years which results in a murder of passion.

You can plan on murdering the first person you see in socks and sandals if you want to. You can draw up diagrams and build a torture chamber. You can say every day I'm gonna loving flense the skin off his feet so he bleeds into his awful socks and his sandals will be made of lemon slices and i'm gonna make him run from dogs through a salt mine I'm gonna do it I'm gonna do it just point me at them and someone says hey look a grampa on vacation and you finally complete your years long obsession. How is that not premeditation?

Like you're going to stand up in front of a judge Psychic crime jury and say yes well all that may be true, I specifically bred dogs to only bite lemon salted feet for years for this exact purpose, my dilbert a day calendar specifically has TODAY'S THE DAY written in red on the day of the incident, but come on. I didn't have a specific person in mind so this is reckless endangerment, tops.

Krinkle has a new favorite as of 00:11 on Oct 31, 2015

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Wasn't the murder planned from the beginning just not by the "murderer" ? Besides one of the precogs had a differing report, that's why it was a "minority report". Someone said something along those lines a few pages ago.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

10 Beers posted:

That's one thing I liked about Firefly. The few times they show an actual laser gun, they're theses clunky, unwieldy things. And the one time someone actually shoots one, he gets three shots or so before it's charge is depleted. Everyone uses guns that shoot bullets. The Alliance uses big fancy guns that stun people, but that's about it.

It's something that's also good in the book of Dune. Laser cannon exist, but so do personal energy shields and if the one hits the other it really is not good for the person holding the gun.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
All the plot holes in Minority Report, well, most of them involving the predictions of the Precogs are easily solved by assuming that the Precogs don't actually see the future.

If you instead imagine that each of the Precogs is actually highly telepathic (can read thoughts) and clairvoyant (can remote view places and things) then their murder predictions and minority reports make sense. All three can 'see' that the wife has been having an affair, they can see the forgotten glasses, all three can read the minds of the husband and use that information to form a prediction that a murder will take place. Sometimes they disagree on where the odds lay of it happening.

That explains the lag time in predicting premeditated versus spur-of-the-moment murder, as the idea and concrete steps to commit that crime happen a lot sooner.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

LeJackal posted:

All the plot holes in Minority Report, well, most of them involving the predictions of the Precogs are easily solved by assuming that the Precogs don't actually see the future.

If you instead imagine that each of the Precogs is actually highly telepathic (can read thoughts) and clairvoyant (can remote view places and things) then their murder predictions and minority reports make sense. All three can 'see' that the wife has been having an affair, they can see the forgotten glasses, all three can read the minds of the husband and use that information to form a prediction that a murder will take place. Sometimes they disagree on where the odds lay of it happening.

That explains the lag time in predicting premeditated versus spur-of-the-moment murder, as the idea and concrete steps to commit that crime happen a lot sooner.

This wouldn't work, or else they couldn't scrub the memories for clues just out of frame. They have the have perfect, photogenic visions in order for their department to work.

I love the movie, so I just assumed that before he got to see his vision of his murder, he was going to see the photos and fire. But the precog telling him that he had a choice, and the fact that he knew he was heading down a path towards murder, that he changed it and decided to not murder him. Especially since when the guy actually dies, it's an accident, not a murder. Or the guy trying suicide by cop so his family is taken care of.

My gripe is that when the wife puts his eyes on the piano keys, the organ plays the tone. But the keys aren't depressed at all!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The actual worst part of Minority Report is the wooden balls themselves, which are just about the absolute dumbest user interface ever particularly in a society with floating glove computers and hi-tech puke billy clubs.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Tom Cruise's predicted murder is essentially a stable time loop. He goes to the hotel because of the precog's prediction, but the precog only predicted he'd go to the hotel because it saw a vision of him going to the hotel following the precog's own prediction. There's no beginning or end to the time loop; it just happens because it happens, it is both its own cause and its own effect. Which is fine, hey, that's par for the course when prophecies are involved.

Here's what bothers me: how did the villain cause this to happen? He paid a stooge to sit in a random hotel room, and then... sat back and hoped a self-fulfilling prophecy would spontaneously arise on its own? What exactly was his plan?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Tom Cruise's predicted murder is essentially a stable time loop. He goes to the hotel because of the precog's prediction, but the precog only predicted he'd go to the hotel because it saw a vision of him going to the hotel following the precog's own prediction. There's no beginning or end to the time loop; it just happens because it happens, it is both its own cause and its own effect. Which is fine, hey, that's par for the course when prophecies are involved.

Here's what bothers me: how did the villain cause this to happen? He paid a stooge to sit in a random hotel room, and then... sat back and hoped a self-fulfilling prophecy would spontaneously arise on its own? What exactly was his plan?

Pay some guy named <tom cruise's character name> to plan dude in room's murder. Premeditated ball generates with <tom cruise's character name> on it. This guarantees Tom Cruise will be there to make the choice. The precogs get conflicting images. Will fake tom cruise kill the man, or will tom cruise kill the man? The most recent vision is Tom Cruise doing it, so that's the one they look at. They might miss the red ball that follows the change in murderers due to already being on the case.

They didn't need to try the preMurderers, because they had a pre crime version of the patriot act(note that it came out in 2002, but began filming March 2001, creating a possible unintentional prediction of the PATRIOT act, allowing the government to hold potential terrorists indefinitely without trial). It's possible that, instead of a 9/11-type event, an extremely high profile murder occurred, causing them to try to develop a way to head off potential murders.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

darkhand posted:

Wasn't the murder planned from the beginning just not by the "murderer" ? Besides one of the precogs had a differing report, that's why it was a "minority report". Someone said something along those lines a few pages ago.

I may be mis-remembering it but I thought Cruise's character didn't actually have a minority report?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Ryoshi posted:

The actual worst part of Minority Report is the wooden balls themselves, which are just about the absolute dumbest user interface ever particularly in a society with floating glove computers and hi-tech puke billy clubs.

Pukebilly would be a great genre to have groups associated with ICP.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Ryoshi posted:

I saw it as a hold over from the current day as red balls are high profile murders

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The big reason (in universe) they went with blasters instead of slug throwers is armor.

You mean the armour that can be penetrated by loving midget feral pandas?

Slime posted:

Every setting with sci-fi guns makes them actually ridiculously lovely compared to regular guns.

Like every TV show with superpowers. "Oh no, the man is slowly charging up to release an energy blast with his hands! If only we had some kind of weapon which was lethal at a distance and could be fired in sceonds!"

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Hey. To be fair, they never showed the armor failing because of arrows and poo poo. It was always big loving rocks getting dropped on em.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Look man, there's like a hundred thousand Stormtroopers. The Empire's not made of money, you make the armor that works okay against your biggest threat, which is lasers.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Lottery of Babylon posted:

That's the thing about stable time loops - there's no beginning nor end, no one to 'start' it. The murder was predicted to happen because the murder was going to happen, which caused the prediction, which caused the murder, etc.

Which is what makes the whole 'plan' sort of nonsense. Maybe the guy put plants like that all over the city, hoping that a prediction would occur somehow. It's bananas.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

Aphrodite posted:

Look man, there's like a hundred thousand Stormtroopers. The Empire's not made of money, you make the armor that works okay against your biggest threat, which is lasers.

You go to war with the Stormtroopers you have, not the Stormtroopers you might want or wish to have at a later time.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Greggy posted:

You go to war with the Stormtroopers you have, not the Stormtroopers you might want or wish to have at a later time.
We fight them on Alderaan so we don't have to fight them on Coruscant.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Laser beams can't melt steel beams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

One young jedihadi from a nowhere planet puts a photon torpedo in a tiny exhaust port flying an x-wing that he had zero experience flying?

The Death Star was an inside job.