Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

vyelkin posted:

L

M

A

O

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/c...-canadian-teams

"Wait, poo poo, you mean everyone hates the rich and wants them to pay more taxes? gently caress, gently caress, how do we sell opposition to this? I know! WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE POOR ATHLETES :qq::qq::qq:"

The best part

quote:

For NHL players considering playing in Toronto, establishing U.S. residency can be easier because the Leafs tend not to make playoffs, allowing players to get back to the U.S. in April. U.S. residency is harder to maintain for players with the Canadiens, whose season is more likely to be extended by playoffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Guess who's baaaaaack. :getin:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/pamela-wallin-can-resume-sitting-in-senate-when-parliament-reconvenes-1.3297189?cmp=rss

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Ikantski posted:

The best part

hahahahahahahaha

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ikantski posted:

The best part

Won't someone think of the hockey players making $33m over 6 years :qq:

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
The Rebel is great and its comment section is great

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

quote:

Evening all,

The Lead:

There was good news and less good news in Prime Minister-designate Justin Trudeau's economic briefing this morning. The Canadian economy actually grew in August, but only by 0.1 per cent — a slight swing back toward the five months of recessionary shrinkage that became a campaign issue for Stephen Harper, despite expansion of 0.3 per cent in July and 0.4 per cent in June. And — in what seems almost a satire of the transition cliché whereby the newly elected party finds out the cupboard has been left bare — the Finance Department's monthly fiscal monitor showed today that the federal government's surplus for this fiscal year has been cut nearly in half, as it ran a $2.3-billion deficit in August. That compares with a deficit of roughly $300 million in the same month last year, three months before the global oil price crash.
:aaa::aaa::aaa::aaa:

In Canada:

In the post-Harper leadership realignment on the Conservative side, Alberta MP and former senior cabinet minister Rona Ambrose and Edmonton MP Mike Lake have declared bids for the interim leadership of the party. They join Diane Finley, Rob Nicholson, Candice Bergen and Erin O'Toole in the fray. The vote is Nov. 5. As our Deane McRobie reports, the Conservatives are contemplating a preliminary vote on whether senators will be allowed to vote on the position.

In the latest move in the Senate's re-branding efforts, senators will soon be asked to give their blessing to an arm's-length body to oversee their spending practices, the Speaker of the Senate says. Leo Housakos said a proposal to create the independent oversight body will be put before Conservative, Liberal and Independent senators when Parliament returns.

"Fundraising results during Canada’s just-concluded federal election appear to confirm that money can’t buy you love," reports CP. The Liberals won the Oct. 19 election but raised the least amount of money of the three main parties during the third quarter — $7.3 million.

Twenty years after the last referendum on Quebec sovereignty, Parti Québécois Leader Pierre Karl Peladeau says Quebecers shouldn’t have any illusions that Ottawa would want to participate in negotiating the terms of another one. “It’s rather unrealistic,” Peladeau tells CP in an interview.

In an interview with CP, Jody Wilson-Raybould, a former Assembly of First Nations regional chief-turned-federal MP, says she's confident the Liberal government can reshape Ottawa's strained relationship with Canada's Aboriginal Peoples. The MP-elect for Vancouver-Granville described aboriginal affairs as one of the major policy areas that Trudeau's incoming government will have to address.

Israel's ambassador to Canada, Rafael Barak, has confirmed that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu phoned Trudeau last Friday to offer his congratulations. Barak said the call was "warm" and left his country assured that relations between Canada and the Jewish state will remain strong.

In Kelsey Johnson's Sprout blog: No regrets, but some jobs left unfinished, Ritz says; plus, all the other ag news you need to know.

In Mackenzie Scrimshaw's Drilldown blog: Resource industry fuels new GDP number, plus all your other resource politics news.

Internationally:

In Washington, confirming a shift in the U.S. strategy against the Islamic State, the White House announced that the United States will be deploying 50 non-combat Special Operations forces to northern Syria to advise and assist Kurdish fighters. Meanwhile, in Vienna, senior diplomats from 19 countries were negotiating a possible political resolution to the uprising-turned-civil-war-turned-proxy-pile-on, with the U.S., Saudi Arabia, Russia and Iran failing to reach agreement on the fate of Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad but agreeing to meet again within two weeks.

In the ever-colourful U.S. 2016 presidential narrative, the Republican Party is revolting against the existing presidential debate process in the wake of the widely panned CNBC event Wednesday night. The Republican National Committee suspended its relationship with NBC today after word broke of a looming mutiny against the RNC's control of the process.

The EU today sided with the U.S. in the friction over Beijing's novel assertion of territorial rights in international waters through the construction of artificial islands in the South China Sea. Earlier, China’s naval commander, Admiral Wu Shengli, had this to say about the U.S. decision to send a destroyer into international waters near the disputed Spratly Islands: “If the United States continues with these kinds of dangerous, provocative acts, there could well be a seriously pressing situation between frontline forces from both sides on the sea and in the air, or even a minor incident that sparks war.”

In Other Headlines:

Noteworthy:

In our own weekend opinion round-up, Alan Freeman says there's a reason why we only name airports after dead people, and Fred Litwin lays out how the Conservatives can avoid another trouncing in four years' time.

For foreign affairs and political junkies, David Holbrooke's HBO documentary about his late father, the mercurial middleman Richard Holbrooke, premieres Monday. Here's Todd Purdum's review of "The Diplomat" in Vanity Fair, and this morning's Morning Joe interview with David Holbrooke.

The Kicker:

For our Friday EB musical selection, a long-playing choice to mark the breathtaking political expediency of Ryan Cleary's post-election, pre-election jump directly from the NDP to the Conservatives. Here's the unmistakable Miles Davis.

And, for our last kicker of Halloween Week, our second untethered-giant-inflatable-object story in as many days: "Giant, inflatable runaway pumpkin terrorizes Arizona drivers."

Good night and have a Happy Halloween.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

CLAM DOWN posted:

Won't someone think of the hockey players making $33m over 6 years :qq:

It's not the players that suffer most, it's the teams. If they have to pay higher wages to get the same talent, that means they're under a lower salary cap than the US teams, making them less competitive. Players won't sign contracts with huge tax burdens, having the same effect.

Without some kind of relief from the league it could mean bad times for Canadian teams.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
And if the teams suffer, how will we live with ourselves? Better start giving them free tax payer funded stadiums

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

flakeloaf posted:

It's not the players that suffer most, it's the teams. If they have to pay higher wages to get the same talent, that means they're under a lower salary cap than the US teams, making them less competitive. Players won't sign contracts with huge tax burdens, having the same effect.

Without some kind of relief from the league it could mean bad times for Canadian teams.

Who gives a gently caress, they're all millionaires, I'm not going to shed a single tear for those greedy toothless idiots.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

flakeloaf posted:

Oh. Yeah, that definitely makes it a national issue, then. Maybe there could be a special tax exemption for professional sports teams?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

flakeloaf posted:

Oh no! My Leafs might not win the cup. :ohdear:

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

flakeloaf posted:

yeah because alberta had such great teams before

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Who gives a gently caress, they're all millionaires, I'm not going to shed a single tear for those greedy toothless idiots.

Three Canadian hockey teams up and folding would have no impact whatsoever besides the jobs of a few people you're angry at for being young, rich, and good at something.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

YeOldeButchere posted:

Oh. Yeah, that definitely makes it a national issue, then. Maybe there could be a special tax exemption for professional sports teams?

That would be pretty unpopular because not everyone gives a poo poo about sports (unless you're being ironic) and billionaire owners losing their toys isn't exactly a sympathetic story when people don't have doctors or electricity. They'd have to negotiate some kind of quid pro quo with the league.

MLSE, the Canadiens and the Canucks aren't going anywhere.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

flakeloaf posted:

Three Canadian hockey teams up and folding would have no impact whatsoever besides the jobs of a few people you're angry at for being young, rich, and good at something.

...they're not going to fold because they have to pay 4% more income tax, are you for real? I'm not angry at anyone, I just can't understand how you can defend literal multimillionaire athletes in this case.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
im sure that the barely literate monkeys who smash eachothers heads in for money are going to understand what tax brackets even mean

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Tax-and-spend liberal elitist eggheads are out of touch with the concerns and priorities of the common people.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

flakeloaf posted:

That would be pretty unpopular because not everyone gives a poo poo about sports (unless you're being ironic) and billionaire owners losing their toys isn't exactly a sympathetic story when people don't have doctors or electricity. They'd have to negotiate some kind of quid pro quo with the league.

Let me put it this way instead: round up every NHL player, mine every credit card/CSIS/retailer transaction log to find out who bought anything related to professional sports, and send those people to gulags up north. Then use them for resource extraction, and maybe medical experimentation so that we can get those holographic slave doctors mentioned a while back.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

...they're not going to fold because they have to pay 4% more income tax, are you for real? I'm not angry at anyone, I just can't understand how you can defend literal multimillionaire athletes in this case.

The athletes don't need defending because they won't suffer; they just won't sign here (if the tax increase would even make the tax rate here higher than in the states, which it may very well not). The teams could suffer.

The salary cap is 71.4 million. If Canadian teams have to raise the salaries they pay by four percent, that's $2.9 million they aren't able to spend (roughly the league average salary for one player). If the league came up with a rule that said Canadian teams had to have one fewer player than American ones, there'd be issues.

E: But taxes are a part of doing business in Canada and if a change that small breaks the bank then maybe don't build your corporate plan on eggshells.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 30, 2015

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Hahaha and I thought you were trolling

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

BGrifter posted:

Oh no! My Leafs might not win the cup. :ohdear:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Oh my god.

The Senate Liberal Caucus is threatening to withhold support for legislation unless JT agrees to name one of them Government Senate Leader and put them in Cabinet.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
:lol:

I hope this results in a drive to end the senate

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

Oh my god.

The Senate Liberal Caucus is threatening to withhold support for legislation unless JT agrees to name one of them Government Senate Leader and put them in Cabinet.

lmao

Aren't there like 50 empty vacancies? He should just appoint everyone who's ever run for the Radical Marijuana Party to the Senate immediately.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Senator May, this way please.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

There are only 22 vacancies, so even if he fills them it's not enough to pass a law without support from current senators.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
not to mention JTs promises of patronage-free, non-partisan senate appointments

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Woah, there are still three senators who were appointed by Trudeau Sr.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Just abolish the Senate.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Brannock posted:

Just abolish the Senate.

Seriously.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Pinterest Mom posted:

Oh my god.

He should call their bluff. If they obstruct too much, they'll be lynched in the streets. It's not like the Canadian people are overly fond of senators to begin with.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, but it's not like the Canadian people will actually do anything about it regardless of how they might feel about the senate, so...

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

PT6A posted:

He should call their bluff. If they obstruct too much, they'll be lynched in the streets. It's not like the Canadian people are overly fond of senators to begin with.
"We have a senate?"

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
The Honorable Senators should like to Honorably go fill each other's Honorable back chambers, in my view.,

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Heavy neutrino posted:

The Honorable Senators should like to Honorably go fill each other's Honorable back chambers, in my view.,

I think most of them already are, at least if they're following the British aristocratic tradition.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
you could probably get some sort of amendment removing the lifetime appointment and/or a clause to allow senators to be removed by the house through, don't change the seat numbers, just throw the current group out and start fresh

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
But guys the Senate does good work

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

It has been at the vanguard of innovative and groundbreaking policy proposals that our country desperately needs.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

vyelkin posted:

L

M

A

O

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/c...-canadian-teams

"Wait, poo poo, you mean everyone hates the rich and wants them to pay more taxes? gently caress, gently caress, how do we sell opposition to this? I know! WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE POOR ATHLETES :qq::qq::qq:"

I guess this is why Gretzky was stumping for HarperCo during the election. Not that he's been relevant to anything other than being rich for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Just saw a little CBC clip pop up on facebook looking back at the Quebec sovereignty referendum.

I was too young to pay much attention to it back in 95, so I'd never seen this before. It's from the concession speech from whoever this guy was that presumably was heading up the vote to :frogout:.

Guess you guys aren't kidding about the Quebecois being racist as hell: