Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

is everyone like 'wow, redhat??' or are they like 'lol redhat "

trying to gauge future employment prospects

They seemed really impressed by him, a Pythòn programmer, and said a couple of different teams want him. No other mention of redhat though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

this will gently caress you in the rear end when implementation changes without changing signatures like a stable sort function becoming unstable

...or will it not?

well, presumably the docstring would change in that case

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

this will gently caress you in the rear end when implementation changes without changing signatures like a stable sort function becoming unstable

...or will it not?

yeah if the implementation changes then sure it wont get caught but that's true of any implementation change in any language. this just lets you auto document the obvious type changes which is cool

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

pepito sanchez posted:

why can't everything do this? :(

It's worth a lot less in other languages because things like IO aren't encoded in the type system.

Shaggar posted:

yeah if the implementation changes then sure it wont get caught but that's true of any implementation change in any language. this just lets you auto document the obvious type changes which is cool

shaggar was right and you fuckin felt it

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
my boss beat me to quitting, now i am the boss.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Barnyard Protein posted:

my boss beat me to quitting, now i am the boss.

are u getting paid like a boss (my money on no)

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
All of the responsibility with none of the compensation

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
i did coincidentally get a 12% bump a few weeks ago when the boss who quit made it known to his boss that he was quitting. idk if it is related.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
you don't really want to become a boss under those conditions i think

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
yeah this job is not fullfilling in the major ways. it isn't terrible enough to leave immediately though, but i don't see myself here in the long term

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Barnyard Protein posted:

yeah this job is not fullfilling in the major ways. it isn't terrible enough to leave immediately though, but i don't see myself here in the long term

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
fng wrote an infinite loop that lost us a full day lol

i bet r# would have caught it too

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

uncurable mlady posted:

owned

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

...or will it not?
As opposed to the completely validation-free versioning schemes everybody else uses, which never produce any surprises.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

uncurable mlady posted:

I work with people who refuse to use R# because they don't trust it or think it's black magic or something

pretty sad really

lord of the files
Sep 4, 2012

is r# an extension of r or is it completely unrelated?

i had trouble finding information on r#, the only page I found for it was a sourceforge page: http://sourceforge.net/projects/r-sharp/

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Nitrocat posted:

i had trouble finding information on r#, the only page I found for it was a sourceforge page: http://sourceforge.net/projects/r-sharp/

resharper

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

resharper is cool when its not passive aggressively telling you your doing oop wrong with its "you could really make this method static you know!" poo poo

lord of the files
Sep 4, 2012

i love the feature that can convert some of my more complex loops into linq expressions. saved me a ton of time especially when you are nested three layers deep. the excessive warnings can be annoying though.

edit: i should also leave this monster to gander: https://gist.github.com/aspyct/3427093

lord of the files fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 30, 2015

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i just installed r#

376 issues in my solution

lol

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i got monoqcs book. it's good.

the otp stuff is the best.

thanks monoqc

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

"language usage opportunities" is a cool class of warnings

now i know how to use collection initializers

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Nitrocat posted:

Didn't microsoft buy the support company for R?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i got monoqcs book. it's good.

the otp stuff is the best.

thanks monoqc

:tipshat:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

gently caress i would kill for a resharper-but-for-verilog

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Barnyard Protein posted:

lol at imagining you can be paid money to for something "fulfilling"

does it meet your salary expectations?
are the benefits good enough?
is the job security good enough?

that's it

those are the only things to ask about a software job

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol at imagining you can be paid money to for something "fulfilling"

does it meet your salary expectations?
are the benefits good enough?
is the job security good enough?

that's it

those are the only things to ask about a software job

if we lived in a just universe, this would be true, but unfortunately, we live in a universe where awful programmers can have jobs that have security, good salary, good benefits, and be satisfying.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

there's jobs that are actively negative to feeling fulfilled though. I can imagine it's different for the guy I know who programs medical robots than the other one I know who wrote an algorithm for the MPAA to send lawsuits to people.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

MononcQc posted:

there's jobs that are actively negative to feeling fulfilled though. I can imagine it's different for the guy I know who programs medical robots than the other one I know who wrote an algorithm for the MPAA to send lawsuits to people.

as a medical devices programmer, I would like to pivot to quantitative finance and or high frequency trading

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
lmbo if you are resigned to a fate of being miserable for most of your waking hours. "job satisfaction! whats that!"

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

MononcQc posted:

some people get a vindictive thrill out of making their fellow human suffer in non-illegal ways

or how I learned to be a psychopath and love capitalism

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MononcQc posted:

this difference matters less than how good the breakroom coffee is

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Bloody posted:

as a medical devices programmer, I would like to pivot to quantitative finance and or high frequency trading

both of these will get you paid so they are Good Jobs

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Barnyard Protein posted:

lmbo if you are resigned to a fate of being miserable for most of your waking hours. "job satisfaction! whats that!"

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

if we lived in a just universe, this would be true, but unfortunately, we live in a universe where awful programmers can have jobs that have security, good salary, good benefits, and be satisfying.

job satisfaction is bullshit.

all jobs are terrible, that is why they are called jobs. the goal is to get paid, and then go home

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

no seriously yospos help me get a hedge fund job please

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

AWWNAW posted:

I work with people who refuse to use R# because they don't trust it or think it's black magic or something

pretty sad really

seriously

install it and turn off all warnings if you have to

it's worth it just for the test runner and the shortcuts

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the code coverage module looks sick as hell, does anyone use it?

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
code coverage is okay but it always makes people complacent and turn even more into "right click until no squiggly" mode of programming that java and C# encourages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Bloody posted:

i just installed r#

376 issues in my solution

lol

from its cousin IntelliJ and co., I have 102,811 (of which 72,661 are noted as "spelling errors") issues in mine.

this thread is perfect for me.

• Locked thread