Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Godholio posted:

I'll admit, I laughed at "after a 5-day ban."

tears in my eyes from that poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Wasabi the J posted:

Breaking schadenfreude

I'm experiencing that pure strain mirth that can only be attained by someone else in the military loving up.

https://twitter.com/CNNSitRoom/status/659428769237704704

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 28, 2015

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Huh, this sure seems familiar!

quote:

"The chance of that happening is very small because the tether is made of Vectran and has withstood storms in excess of 100 knots," the Raytheon website stated on its website before the blimp became unmoored. "However, in the unlikely event it does happen, there are a number of procedures and systems in place which are designed to bring the aerostat down in a safe manner."
lol

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Big Brother is watching. :tinfoil:

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq-N3_plNq8

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
http://imgur.com/YiUDRSh

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
WWI personal armors: http://flashbak.com/world-war-1-body-armor-1914-1918-32670/

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

that would do a great job of putting whatever bullet hits directly into his arms/legs

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Which is somewhat better than the face/chest/gut.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

ded posted:

that would do a great job of blasting a bunch of shrapnel into the wound of a bullet that punches right through your sheet metal armor

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
That entire getup just kind of looks like someone decided it would convince a young private he'd be safe running around No Man's Land.

"You mean this thing even stops artillery shells, Sir?"
"As far as we know...maybe!"

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Italian soldiers were experimenting with body armor as early as 1915. Most of the documentation on that comes from Austrians inspecting the bodies after the latest attack.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That entire getup just kind of looks like someone decided it would convince a young private he'd be safe running around No Man's Land.

"You mean this thing even stops artillery shells, Sir?"
"As far as we know...maybe!"

"Nobody has ever complained that it didn't!"

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Kavak posted:

Italian soldiers were experimenting with body armor as early as 1915. Most of the documentation on that comes from Austrians inspecting the bodies after the latest attack.

It's not so much that they were experimenting as if it were something new. Armor was still in use from the Middle Ages, but since the enormously heavy and expensive plate armor (that most people think of) wasn't worth the hassle against firearms, it had evolved down to basically a cuirassier consisting of a chest and backplate. Which is probably why the piece above is like that. But yeah, it was still worn by cavalry and maybe a few other odd units even into WWI.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Blimp chat! That poo poo is an amazing piece of schaedenfreude all the way around, and being in Baltimore at the time, was histerical to follow real time.

Watch "How the U.S. Army Lost a $2.7 Billion Blimp..." on YouTube
https://youtu.be/Dc7kcHoAX4Y

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Godholio posted:

It's not so much that they were experimenting as if it were something new. Armor was still in use from the Middle Ages, but since the enormously heavy and expensive plate armor (that most people think of) wasn't worth the hassle against firearms, it had evolved down to basically a cuirassier consisting of a chest and backplate. Which is probably why the piece above is like that. But yeah, it was still worn by cavalry and maybe a few other odd units even into WWI.

Archduke Franz Ferdinand was wearing a silk bulletproof vest when he was killed, however Princip made the clever choice of shooting him in the neck instead.

During WWII the Soviets issued steel breastplates that could stop a 9mm bullet at 100 meters, and going into the Cold War they had various sets of body armor made out of titanium plates, or layered titanium disks, which could apparently stop pistol bullets and were apparently mainly used by the MVD (think FBI) and tax enforcement agents. When they went to war in Afghanistan they ended up doing a rapid development of armor, resulting in the 6B3 and 6B4 vests (plus the 6B5 that was used in Chechnya) that could stop a rifle bullet using layers of 6.5mm titanium plates in the front. All the vest types had different sub-models which used ceramics or were lighter/heavier and had different levels of protection.

In the book One Soldier's War, the author talks about how during the first Chechen war they'd have to go through piles of shot up body armor and take two or three vests to make a usable one.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

bulletsponge13 posted:

Blimp chat! That poo poo is an amazing piece of schaedenfreude all the way around, and being in Baltimore at the time, was histerical to follow real time.

Watch "How the U.S. Army Lost a $2.7 Billion Blimp..." on YouTube
https://youtu.be/Dc7kcHoAX4Y

I can* see the blimps from my house. I'm just glad the wind was blowing the other way.

*could :haw:

MaxPowers
Dec 29, 2004
Dont know why everyones freaking out about this blimp. It isnt the first time we've had one go on magical journey.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Blimps just wanna be free, yo. Sometimes it's in the desert, sometimes it's your backyard.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Knocked some power out. They eventually shotgunned it.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

PainterofCrap posted:

Knocked some power out. They eventually shotgunned it.

I mean, what's the worst that could happen? It's a flying pillow!

also Wasabi the J has the best avatar, I swear

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I thought the shotgunning was supposedly done by Pennsylvania yokels, not the military.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Soooo why wasn't the tether cable connected to the blimp with some kind of release or exploding bolt or something so that when it escapes it can shed the cable like a lizard's trail rather than drag it over powerlines and poo poo?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Arrath posted:

Soooo why wasn't the tether cable connected to the blimp with some kind of release or exploding bolt or something so that when it escapes it can shed the cable like a lizard's trail rather than drag it over powerlines and poo poo?

because its impossible that the cable will fail. dont worry we designed it to be SUPER STRONG.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Chinatown posted:

because its impossible that the cable will fail. dont worry we designed it to be SUPER STRONG.

Oh right, silly me for thinking fail safes and such are reasonable design considerations :downs:

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Arrath posted:

The same reason that their test reactor killed 3 people. The army is loving stupid

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I thought the shotgunning was supposedly done by Pennsylvania yokels, not the military.
Cops, close enough.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Arrath posted:

US Army Blimp Explodes, Killing Nine

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I'd also fathom that even though it caused issues, the weight of the cable might have helped the blimp finally be recovered somewhat safely and without a total loss of the ~billyuns~ in radar equipment inside instead of potentially having to be shot down with something bigger than a shotgun.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Arrath posted:

It would make more sense to have some mechanism on the blimp that reels in the snapped tether but yeah

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

let's see you assholes try to design your own blimps to monitor people with concealed carry firearms

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

let's see you assholes try to design your own blimps to monitor people with concealed carry firearms
There's no point in monitoring CCW in MD. It's pretty much impossible to do legally. Then again, Edgewood...

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

Yo, there's people around Huachuca who think that this is EXACTLY what the nearby aerostat does, and others who think it monitors illegal aliens

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=002_1446585375
Transporting a nuke, with a surprise

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Booblord Zagats posted:

Yo, there's people around Huachuca who think that this is EXACTLY what the nearby aerostat does, and others who think it monitors illegal aliens

:wtc:

Reverence
Nov 1, 2009

Security forces everyone.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
excuse me but it's called PHOENIX RAVEN get it right you POG :rolleyes:

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

o7

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Maybe we should stop hiring windowlickers to do national security

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer