Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I can' not understand his problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Haquer posted:

I know how much everyone loves dysfunctional broadcast stations, came in the building to this passive aggressive note to all on air talent from our gm (cell pic so huge)

"You will be number one on my hit list" :stare:

Also he basically wants us to sound like an automated station even though the principle behind our station is that we're NOT.

Oh and did I mention he's been in the building maybe 3 hours total this week?

Wow, what a oval office.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

Haquer posted:

I know how much everyone loves dysfunctional broadcast stations, came in the building to this passive aggressive note to all on air talent from our gm (cell pic so huge)

Also he basically wants us to sound like an automated station even though the principle behind our station is that we're NOT.

Oh and did I mention he's been in the building maybe 3 hours total this week?
WE'VE RECEIVED YOUR REQUEST RE: MUSIC SELECTIONS
WITH FOUR LETTER WORDS IN SONG NOT BE AIRED AND
HAVE DECIDED TO DENY IT. WE ARE ALSO MAKING YOU
NUMBER ONE ON OUR HIT LIST. YOU WILL REMAIN
NUMBER ONE ON OUR HIT LIST UNTILL YOU NO LONGER
APPEAR TO BE A BLITHERING IDIOT. IT WILL WORK GREAT.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
But... The #1 hit on the list has four letter words in it?

His brain asplode.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

larchesdanrew posted:

But... The #1 hit on the list has four letter words in it?

His brain asplode.

Fun fact about that: We just don't play them if it's in the title. (He doesn't want us to utter the title, even if the song itself is edited)

Literally. He once told our CE "I don't need number one hits".

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

Haquer posted:

Fun fact about that: We just don't play them if it's in the title. (He doesn't want us to utter the title, even if the song itself is edited)

Literally. He once told our CE "I don't need number one hits".
Considering how volatile the job market is in radio, he's a loving idiot.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Haquer posted:

At least it won't be #1 on his poo poo list. :haw:

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Out of social responsibility, the top manager at my local station would prefer we don't add songs to our playlist that include alcohol references. As you can imagine, this is rather limiting on a country music station. We largely do it anyway, but he doesn't like it.

Are those jocks not actually giving time/temp/call letters or does the guy not listen?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Antifreeze Head posted:

Out of social responsibility, the top manager at my local station would prefer we don't add songs to our playlist that include alcohol references. As you can imagine, this is rather limiting on a country music station. We largely do it anyway, but he doesn't like it.

Are those jocks not actually giving time/temp/call letters or does the guy not listen?

You've got "Applejuice makes her clothes fall off" or "Why don't we get hydrated and screw".

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Email addresses.

I prefer the firstname.lastname@company.com standard, wilford.cutlery@shsc.com rather than wcutlery@shsc.com - But my current and previous employers worked with the latter.

A ticket came in for a new hire starting mid-next week in a remote office. Because of the unfortunate naming convention, her email address is going to be igay@company.com

Contacting HR now to see if an exception can be granted.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Antifreeze Head posted:

We're a mix station, part is country so I feel you.

And no, he wants time/temp/letters stated after every song, so worse than an automated station. It's given out plenty during normal operation.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

HardDisk posted:

At least it won't be #1 on his poo poo list. :haw:

Yeah I thought that a 'hit list' would be a good thing in radio. :confused:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Unless he's right. I'm sure he's not, but you know, sometimes we get stuck in a Stockholm Syndrome thing with lovely software, people, and policies.

The mostly likely case is that the app is in fact poo poo and the replacement app if it ever happens will also be poo poo.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Haquer posted:

And no, he wants time/temp/letters stated after every song, so worse than an automated station. It's given out plenty during normal operation.

:stare:

I say do it for a couple shifts, then present your PD with some listener emails telling you that they don't need to be constantly reminded that it is still KBBL they are listening to and how they understand that it is now three minutes later than it was before. Of course, all those emails come from fake accounts you have created, but there's no need to go into details...

I am lucky/unlucky enough to not have a PD so I would play the hell out of Applejuice Makes her Clothes Fall Off. One of my favourite things to do (once every couple of months) is comb though Reverb Nation to find people in other countries doing country music. I don't care if people in my audience can't understand Italian, Luigi Campanella is not to be denied airplay!

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Email addresses.

I prefer the firstname.lastname@company.com standard, wilford.cutlery@shsc.com rather than wcutlery@shsc.com - But my current and previous employers worked with the latter.

A ticket came in for a new hire starting mid-next week in a remote office. Because of the unfortunate naming convention, her email address is going to be igay@company.com

Contacting HR now to see if an exception can be granted.

There was once a member of the Canadian parliament with the name Reg Alcock. He wanted to register himself a website and wanted regalcock.ca. CIRA called his office and suggested reg-alcock.ca instead for much the same reason.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

Haquer posted:

I don't see this person's tenure lasting very long but, since this is an IT thread...

...he's been there for 20+ years, hasn't he?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Antifreeze Head posted:

There was once a member of the Canadian parliament with the name Reg Alcock. He wanted to register himself a website and wanted regalcock.ca. CIRA called his office and suggested reg-alcock.ca instead for much the same reason.

I know someone who worked at a small outfit where username format for the workorder system was %firstInitial%%first3lettersOfLastName%
Her name is Tanya Watson.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Poor Sherry Lutz. We just straight refuse her pleas to change her username from the First Initial Last Name standard.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Antioch posted:

Poor Sherry Lutz. We just straight refuse her pleas to change her username from the First Initial Last Name standard.

We actually gave in and granted the wish of pedo@ourhospital to get a new ident.

He's a pediatrician because of course he is. :v:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Not business related, but I have an unfortunate email story.

Every year we accompany my mother in law to her childhood church for a homecoming service of sorts. It's a really small church that only meets once a month when a traveling preacher comes through.

His last name is Raper.

The programs have his email address on them: raper_priest@xxx.com.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

larchesdanrew posted:

Every year we accompany my mother in law to her childhood church for a homecoming service of sorts. It's a really small church that only meets once a month when a traveling preacher comes through.

His last name is Raper.

So do people call him "Father Raper"?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

pixaal posted:

So do people call him "Father Raper"?

Brother Raper, actually.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
..and you Yanks say we're weird for naming our kids after animals and gods.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Crowley posted:

..and you Yanks say we're weird for naming our kids after animals and gods.

Yeah, I'm scandinavian too and my two kids have perfectly ordinary names. Their names literally mean 'elven warrior/warrior goddess' and 'falcon'.

Perfectly ordinary I tell you. :colbert:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

larchesdanrew posted:

His last name is Raper.

I don't think the real problem there is really the email address formatting.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Caconym posted:

Perfectly ordinary I tell you. :colbert:

I know right? We have two kids too. One named after one of the gods, and one named after one of the twelve titans. No weirdo names there.

Edit: I guess the last one is kinda Greek, but still..

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Doctor Bombadil posted:

A fire came in:

gently caress cheap molex to sata adapters. Also, the disk is fried.

(Although, it was a brand new disk, so I can't rule out it was being faulty.)

Hmm, this is like the fourth or fifth time I've seen this happen in this thread. Maybe I should yank the one I put in my home computer out of there...

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

larchesdanrew posted:

Brother Raper, actually.

Better than Child Raper I suppose.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

vibur posted:

I don't see this person's tenure lasting very long but, since this is an IT thread...

...he's been there for 20+ years, hasn't he?

He's the GM and also owns the broadcasting company! So until he dies he won't leave!

Yes I'm job hunting.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

This thread will be a sadder place the day larches gets a better job at a better place with a better boss.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

Potato Salad posted:

This thread will be a sadder place the day larches gets a better job at a better place with a better boss.

Another hero will come forth. They always do.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I spent 2 hours today loving with the company we're taking over and I have them in better shape than they've ever been in their 5 years of existence. So many unnecessary server roles, bad srv entries in DNS, and motherfucking rdp from the internet allowed to their exchange server. How they haven't had a catastrophic outage or security incident is beyond me.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

AlphaKretin posted:

Four letter word at least means "poo poo" and "gently caress", not "word" or "four", right? Right? :negative:

Only MAD APE DEN songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZdzGAp3u4Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3S_ecPZI0g

Dragyn posted:

Another hero will come forth. They always do.

There are always two, master and apprentice.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 31, 2015

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

devmd01 posted:

motherfucking rdp from the internet allowed to their exchange server.

But they would have to guess our IP, Username and Password. It's very very secure.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Alighieri posted:

But they would have to guess our IP, Username and Password. It's very very secure.

26.54.235.215 username Administrator, password blank.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

26.54.235.215 username Administrator, password blank.

My company had a domain admin account with the password that we set all new accounts to. I found this out after the network administrator pitched a fit about giving my team domain admin, and actually revoked it from the people who already had it.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Frobbe posted:

It isnt, which is why you add remedyforce to your salesforce.

Smoke you for even an utterance of the heathen words.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Ticket came in at 6:30 this morning. Printer wasn't printing. AS400bro cleared the queue for me and all was well.

Same user calls in 4 hours later for the same printer, because it's making too much noise.

I'm considering just punting the ticket to tomorrow. I figure if they're able to print, then it's not an emergency that requires me to stop playing Falcon BMS to go drive in and fix. I always resolve every ticket on the weekend but this is kind of not worth it.

I might just call the user and feed them a line about complete printer repair being handled by another firm (and it kind of is) and that it would have to wait till Monday, but I feel like there's no way to tell them this without seeming like I'm trying to duck the ticket.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What sort of cover are you meant to provide over the weekend? "Printer is noisy but works fine" doesn't seem like anything more urgent than "when you get around to it".

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Thanks Ants posted:

What sort of cover are you meant to provide over the weekend? "Printer is noisy but works fine" doesn't seem like anything more urgent than "when you get around to it".

I'm going to get clarification on that tomorrow since I'm curious. I think the on-call should only go in if work is affected and no workaround is available, and I think that is the policy, but you never know. I'm sure if this user was the sort to complain, the policy would be thrown out the window and I would get in trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
So we were all set to get a vBlock for storage at my church gig, had the signed documents in hand and everything. Suddenly, the head priest receives a "vision" and starts convulsing and talking in tongues in the signoff meeting. The EMC guys looked horrified, but my boss and I just shrugged as this wasn't anything we hadn't seen before.

"Sorry Gentlemen, but the Lord our God has other plans for our storage. We won't be requiring your services. Peace be with you."

I don't think I've ever seen a vendor so grateful to lose a potential client.

• Locked thread