Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Jesus christ. Nothing, then all at once:
-I had a phone interview last night, I think it went well.
-I had a phone interview today, the guy started off saying "wow... your resume is so impressive... I don't know what to ask you" and ended with "come in for an onsite next week".
- then a recruiter calling me today for another role that sounds good for my career (devops as opposed to QA automation)

I also had a friend asking me to meet her CTO last week, that went well and they're getting me to do an onsite maybe next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

redreader posted:

- then a recruiter calling me today for another role that sounds good for my career (devops as opposed to QA automation)

If you go devops, you will be branded as an ops person for the rest of your career - be sure you want that. However, I can safely say that recruiters are banging down my door every goddamn day looking for ~devops~. Good luck!

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

redreader posted:

-I had a phone interview today, the guy started off saying "wow... your resume is so impressive... I don't know what to ask you" and ended with "come in for an onsite next week".

Though I haven't seen your resume, having someone say this to me during an interview process would concern me greatly.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Shrimpy posted:

Though I haven't seen your resume, having someone say this to me during an interview process would concern me greatly.

Yeah, if you ever get a compliment like that, be sure to touch your wallet and make sure it's still there. Same goes for the workplace.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

Just out of curiousity, can someone give me a quick overview of what a CompSci graduate in the US would know? Just trying to figure out how comparable the degree is to what we have over here. So far, I've done one year of a three year bachelors degree, and we've covered most basic stuff; Java programming, UML and general agile design, algorithms and data structures (recursion, different sorts, graph and tree algoritms, we implemented all of these ourselves), SQL and relational database design etc. The next 2 years are mostly going deeper into theoretical stuff like computation as well as developing larger software projects.

Once I graduate, could I start searching the US job market with confidence?

You need a 4 year degree in order to qualify for an h1b visa, and probably other visas (I think for my l1b I also needed a 4 year degree). I did a 3 year degree (B.Sc in CS) then a one year B.Sc honours degree in CS after that. This counted as a 4 year undergrad. I say this because it sounds like you're not in the USA.

Shrimpy posted:

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

Yeah, if you ever get a compliment like that, be sure to touch your wallet and make sure it's still there. Same goes for the workplace.

I know there are google and facebook employees in this thread so what I'm about to say is not that impressive to you, but I worked at yahoo for 6 years and have 11 years of experience, so I think they got a junior guy in for the phone screen, and this was his first screen or something and he was a bit impressed by my resume apparently. it definitely wasn't my manager-to-be or anything.

Anyway the job is 8 minutes drive from my house which qualifies it as a dream job. I'm brushing up on my java since I last used it 4 years ago at yahoo, and I asked the dude 'what do I need to know if you bring me in for an on-site?' and he said "you need to be good at Java, and Rest api's too would be good"

The devops position is in pleasanton which would be a longass drive, but apparently they're only offering a low 100's salary. The thing about that is,

1: it's devops so I can get some experience then leave. Starting as a manual tester years ago, then doing some coding for a few years along with manual testing, then in my last job doing fully automation/tools dev, I may have 11 years of experience but not all of them are coding. Devops seems better than QA dev or Automation, which everyone sees as a codeword for 'entirely qa dev' even though some of it was devops automation, like log replayers, automation of manual database upload processes etc.
2: my entire resume is '1 year at first job, 6 years at Yahoo, 4 years at another job' so I am not a jumper or anything. So I can totally do a jump now.
3: I was laid off in July and am finding out that I am bad at interviews, at this point I'm like, well, a job is a job. If I find something better later I can leave.

edit: I linkedin stalked the dude who interviewed me and he has 12 solid years of software dev experience including cisco, so *shrug* I have no idea, weird.

redreader fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 27, 2015

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

redreader posted:

You need a 4 year degree in order to qualify for an h1b visa, and probably other visas (I think for my l1b I also needed a 4 year degree). I did a 3 year degree (B.Sc in CS) then a one year B.Sc honours degree in CS after that. This counted as a 4 year undergrad. I say this because it sounds like you're not in the USA.
Yeah, I'm in Europe. My degree will probably qualify for a visa (definitely if/when I get a masters), but it's not really relevant yet. I'll probably be looking at the European job market before dipping into the US market.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

So once you've got a few jobs under your belt in the same stack/language, how do you get out of that stack in your next job? I do .NET right now but wouldn't mind doing Java or even maybe Python. Also Seattle despite being the home of Microsoft seems pretty weak on C# jobs. :crossarms:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

HondaCivet posted:

So once you've got a few jobs under your belt in the same stack/language, how do you get out of that stack in your next job? I do .NET right now but wouldn't mind doing Java or even maybe Python. Also Seattle despite being the home of Microsoft seems pretty weak on C# jobs. :crossarms:

If you can't get the experience while at your current job (e.g. ask to go on a team doing java out something), then about all you can do is side projects and talk about them in your resume.

Occasionally you'll see jobs that say they just care if you can code and not if you necessarily know they're language of choice, but those are few and far between. You can bet there will be people that DO know the languages applying as well, so it's an uphill battle if you don't have experience to show.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

JawnV6 posted:

Finally, I didn't appreciate how proscriptive ullerrn was about what math is often relevant to CS people. Right now I'm having to decide how large the difference between Volt-Amps and Watts is, so you can imagine how applicable linear algebra is versus FFT's. Anyway that's my rant.

Hand processing closed form calculus equations might not be super relevant, but the ideas of limiting processes to arbitrary precision through discrete series and sequences is super relevant to CS. Lots of times people are 'doing calculus' even if its a discrete form of it.

Plus stuff like PageRank definitely makes more sense when you understand how dynamical systems work and yes that means diffeqs.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Just got out of a phone interview with a financial place in Houston, felt like it went pretty well. They asked me what Java Interfaces are, which was simple enough, what some of the key differences are between TCP and UDP, which I also fielded just fine, and when I might wish to use UDP over TCP in a networking context, which I fumbled at first because I wasn't expecting any networking questions, but I managed to talk my way back into what I thought was a decent answer - I was talking about the fact that TCP is a state-driven communication setup where UDP is stateless, so I focused on the relatively low overhead of UDP discourse that doesn't require clients to set up and tear down connections with each other. They're saying I should find out within the next few days if we'll be moving forward, so, fingers crossed.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Spiritus Nox posted:

Just got out of a phone interview with a financial place in Houston, felt like it went pretty well. They asked me what Java Interfaces are, which was simple enough, what some of the key differences are between TCP and UDP, which I also fielded just fine, and when I might wish to use UDP over TCP in a networking context, which I fumbled at first because I wasn't expecting any networking questions, but I managed to talk my way back into what I thought was a decent answer - I was talking about the fact that TCP is a state-driven communication setup where UDP is stateless, so I focused on the relatively low overhead of UDP discourse that doesn't require clients to set up and tear down connections with each other. They're saying I should find out within the next few days if we'll be moving forward, so, fingers crossed.

I think the main point to make about UDP vs TCP is that UDP doesn't guarantee delivery or ordering of packets. Good for, say, streaming video. Not good for, say, file transfer.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ithaqua posted:

I think the main point to make about UDP vs TCP is that UDP doesn't guarantee delivery or ordering of packets. Good for, say, streaming video. Not good for, say, file transfer.

Oh, goddamn, I knew that. :argh:

Something to remember for the next one.

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
This might not be exactly in this threads purview, but Im in the team selection process now and could use some advice on evaluating teams. Or, just in case, if anybody in this thread is a Google employee that is familiar with teams in the Search product area and wants to be incredibly helpful by gossiping sharing career advice I can provide more detail in PMs.

There are 3 teams in question:
1 its growing fast, doubling headcount this year. The team used to be a startup until they were acquihired a year ago. Their CTO-turned-manager is young and ambitious and tries to keep the team feeling like a startup.
2 a small but well-established and highly collaborative team adding 2 new positions this year. Lots of individual projects to own, but a significant percentage of them fail and dont ever launch. Manager is experienced and encourages cooperation over competition.
3 a core team with lots of room for growth, a.k.a. it has executive attention and features in the company-wide OKRs. As a Principal Engineer this manager is the highest ranking of the three and oversees multiple teams.

The managers described what their teams were doing at a high level but were frustratingly vague as to my actual responsibilities. I guess thats to be expected as a fresh grad? Anyway, I was hoping to be able to make a decision based on the their projects and vision, but all three were interesting, well-scoped, and challenging. I dont know what qualities I should be looking for in a team, but my gut feeling is to go for team 3 as a middle ground between the startup insanity of team 1 and the low-risk, low-reward team 2. Thoughts?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
More info on the hot startup my friend works at and I already met the CTO of, and who have interviewed 85 people without hiring one etc:
-Interview next week in which I work with someone for one hour, on whatever work they have, and that's it.
-I asked 'is this interview 1, of ... 2?' and the reply was '1 of 4 probably'.

Well, I don't have a job so whatever, I'll go. But this place seems hilarious.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Steely Glint posted:

I don’t know what qualities I should be looking for in a team, but my gut feeling is to go for team 3 as a middle ground between the startup insanity of team 1 and the low-risk, low-reward team 2. Thoughts?

"follow your gut" is almost always a good thing to do. If you have ambition 3 sounds like the place for you.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

redreader posted:

More info on the hot startup my friend works at and I already met the CTO of, and who have interviewed 85 people without hiring one etc:
-Interview next week in which I work with someone for one hour, on whatever work they have, and that's it.
-I asked 'is this interview 1, of ... 2?' and the reply was '1 of 4 probably'.

Well, I don't have a job so whatever, I'll go. But this place seems hilarious.

:laffo:

They just want some free consulting I guess?

D-Tron
Jul 3, 2007

1999 was a hard time
to be a scrub

Yam Slacker
I recently finished a final round interview with a company and they told me I am one of their final three candidates. I just got word that they want me to speak with the co-founder of the company tomorrow and that they would give me a final decision soon afterwards.

I haven't had to speak with a founder before, has anyone been in this situation and care to offer any advice on how to approach it? For context this is a Jr. Data Scientist position at a late startup that has been around 5 years with around 150 employees.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

D-Tron posted:

I haven't had to speak with a founder before, has anyone been in this situation and care to offer any advice on how to approach it? For context this is a Jr. Data Scientist position at a late startup that has been around 5 years with around 150 employees.

They don't usually anoint you in sacred oil when you get your Series A funding, this is just a Big Boss.

D-Tron
Jul 3, 2007

1999 was a hard time
to be a scrub

Yam Slacker
Haha figures I would be over thinking this poo poo. I won't stress about it to much but I am looking for any advantage I can get

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

D-Tron posted:

Haha figures I would be over thinking this poo poo. I won't stress about it to much but I am looking for any advantage I can get

The founder's as much a human being as you are. I'm sure you like being asked about and bragging about the things you've accomplished and you know that they've helped to found at least one company. How about asking what it's been like and where he/she wants to take the company in the future?

Basically just don't be a total socially inept goon and you'll be fine :)

D-Tron
Jul 3, 2007

1999 was a hard time
to be a scrub

Yam Slacker
Good idea and something I didn't consider. I would say I'm at the nexus of frat bro and low functioning autistic.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
If they're a founder they most likely have a long-term vision and eagle-eye view of the company. Try to focus your questions on big things like where the company will be headed over the next 3-5 years, any big risks/opportunities on the horizon, etc.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Ding!

After much, much anxiety*, just got the promo from SWE 2 -> SWE 3 with glowing peer reviews & committee feedback; no longer junior, I am now officially a ~*~mid-level~*~ engineer. :toot:

Time to celebrate with Ethiopian food!

* I'm on the Google Photos team, and we just had a very successful launch in May, so I was like, "if I don't get it this time, what could I possibly do that's more impactful than launching Google Photos 1.0 at I/O?? All will be lost"

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Congrats! If swe2 is junior at Google, what's Swe1? Intern?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

AFAIK it's basically unused. I think one time I saw some stat showing a few people had it (compared to thousands for SWE 2). If I had to guess, I'd say intern or maybe an overseas office in a poor country? Dunno.

edit: It's especially confusing because SWE 2 = Level 3, SWE 3 = Level 4 on the job ladder (where the levels are supposed to be roughly comparable in terms of experience/impact/authority across different job types).

TheJanitor
Apr 17, 2007
Ask me about being the strongest janitor since Roger Wilco
It's me, I am the lazy grad who has waited till now to start applying for jobs.

Here is my current CV: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8IfWp-8W3eHMFVUckJyODVob1U/view?usp=sharing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and any London specific job hunting advice? Is getting a recruiter actually important like my friends are telling me?

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

TheJanitor posted:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Actually looks pretty good to me.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

TheJanitor posted:

It's me, I am the lazy grad who has waited till now to start applying for jobs.

Here is my current CV: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8IfWp-8W3eHMFVUckJyODVob1U/view?usp=sharing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and any London specific job hunting advice? Is getting a recruiter actually important like my friends are telling me?
I would add some whitespace below the section titles.

quote:

Conceptualized and created system
I would change this to "Designed and implemented system" but this is pretty nitpicky.

Looks very good overall. Good luck!

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

D-Tron posted:

I recently finished a final round interview with a company and they told me I am one of their final three candidates. I just got word that they want me to speak with the co-founder of the company tomorrow and that they would give me a final decision soon afterwards.

I wouldn't stress about it too much and csammis's advice is dead on. That said, you may want to find out which co-founder is interviewing you. If you're going for a technical role and you're talking to the founder/CTO then it may be a technical interview.

On the other hand, we're a little smaller (~4 years and 75 people), but our CEO talks to everyone we hire. A lot of that meeting is just explaining how options and giving more information about the company vision to further excite them about the opportunity.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Cicero posted:

Ding!

After much, much anxiety*, just got the promo from SWE 2 -> SWE 3 with glowing peer reviews & committee feedback; no longer junior, I am now officially a ~*~mid-level~*~ engineer. :toot:

* I'm on the Google Photos team, and we just had a very successful launch in May, so I was like, "if I don't get it this time, what could I possibly do that's more impactful than launching Google Photos 1.0 at I/O?? All will be lost"

Congrats goon!

lord of the files
Sep 4, 2012

this isn't entirely a interview question but as a programmer still trying to hone and sharpen their skills, i was wondering, is there a thread or somewhere i can ask for ideas to work on projects?

i'm fresh out of ideas and i want to build something remotely fun and useful in java. i've built enough stuff for myself that as is currently, i don't have any needs that programming isn't already solving.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Nitrocat posted:

this isn't entirely a interview question but as a programmer still trying to hone and sharpen their skills, i was wondering, is there a thread or somewhere i can ask for ideas to work on projects?

i'm fresh out of ideas and i want to build something remotely fun and useful in java. i've built enough stuff for myself that as is currently, i don't have any needs that programming isn't already solving.

People usually ask those questions in the thread for their language.

lord of the files
Sep 4, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

People usually ask those questions in the thread for their language.

cool, thank you!

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender

Cicero posted:

Ding!

Congrats! I'm curious how long this took and what's a typical length of time. I'm only a month in and don't know poo poo.

Also, I was looking up who a bunch of people were, and I did find some swe1/L2. They were interns, so that's probably what it means. Level 1 is engineering resident. Or possibly I got that the other way around

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Thanks goons for your help on my first job search (including the OP)! A place I really like called to let me know the details of an offer they're extending, and I'm waiting to hear back from a couple more places to see what they might offer (or not).

There's a delay of a couple days before the written offer, ostensibly because of logistics with the CEO, but I don't think it means anything. I'm just gonna be stressed until I put my name on a contract.

Cicero posted:

Speaking of OP, congrats!

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

I landed my first job in the industry about 6 months ago as a Junior at a startup here in Austin. My salary was $50k + benefits, which I did not counter because

1. It was a really cool company, working with a stack I like
2. It was my first job in the industry, and
3. It was twice what I was making at the time.

In the 6 months that followed, I was promoted in the form of junior being removed from my title, a 10% raise, and moving to a more technical team. My title is Web Developer, but I make less than the median for juniors in this city

So I'd like to make more money, but I'm unsure if I'm even in any sort of position to argue for that. For one, I only have 6 months in this field, at this job, so while I feel confident in my interviewing capacity, I feel like the interviews I could land right now would not necessarily pay what I'm looking to get out of it. Also, my superiors all have friends at pretty much every major company, so I'm worried anybody who would be interviewing me would contact one of them for reference and make things awkward/harder. One of my coworkers was in a similar boat (although at a higher scale) and actually went to interview at IBM to get an offer that the company would match, because it was the only way to get the company to pay him the salary he wanted. I'd really rather avoid that, since it wastes the time of the company who I would interview with and also holy gently caress I hate interviewing, but I also fear that the company will straight up never offer me a fair rate of pay without an offer to counter.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Literally Elvis posted:

I landed my first job in the industry about 6 months ago as a Junior at a startup here in Austin. My salary was $50k + benefits, which I did not counter because

In the 6 months that followed, I was promoted in the form of junior being removed from my title, a 10% raise, and moving to a more technical team. My title is Web Developer, but I make less than the median for juniors in this city

So I'd like to make more money, but I'm unsure if I'm even in any sort of position to argue for that. For one, I only have 6 months in this field, at this job, so while I feel confident in my interviewing capacity, I feel like the interviews I could land right now would not necessarily pay what I'm looking to get out of it. Also, my superiors all have friends at pretty much every major company, so I'm worried anybody who would be interviewing me would contact one of them for reference and make things awkward/harder. One of my coworkers was in a similar boat (although at a higher scale) and actually went to interview at IBM to get an offer that the company would match, because it was the only way to get the company to pay him the salary he wanted. I'd really rather avoid that, since it wastes the time of the company who I would interview with and also holy gently caress I hate interviewing, but I also fear that the company will straight up never offer me a fair rate of pay without an offer to counter.

You should hop if you want more money. You're at a much stronger bargaining position now than you were when you interviewed. My girlfriend went from a web designer internship to 95k just by hopping twice in a year and half (no CS degree either.)

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

a slime posted:

Congrats goon!

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

Congrats! I'm curious how long this took and what's a typical length of time. I'm only a month in and don't know poo poo.

Also, I was looking up who a bunch of people were, and I did find some swe1/L2. They were interns, so that's probably what it means. Level 1 is engineering resident. Or possibly I got that the other way around

Chomposaur posted:

Speaking of OP, congrats!
Thanks guys! Now I can stop freaking out about that promotion, and start freaking out about whether I'm doing a good enough job to justify my level.

quote:

I'm curious how long this took and what's a typical length of time. I'm only a month in and don't know poo poo.
From what I know, about two years for SWE 2 -> SWE 3, around three years for SWE 3 -> Senior SWE are about average, for those who do get promoted (so I guess there's some survivorship bias there).

For me, I started at Google in February 2014, so either I was a bit fast, or really slow if you factor in that I had worked at Amazon for ~2 & 1/2 years before joining Google. :v:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

E: wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dekciw
Oct 29, 2015

Literally Elvis posted:

You don't necessarily have to job hop, but need to be prepared to at least do some interviews. Start by figuring out what you think your market value would be (and what you'd accept, if you like/dislike the current gig, where you live, etc). Then you can either go the interview/counter offer route you proposed (though be aware, most of the time even if they counter, they're immediately looking to replace you) or you can talk to your current company and just tell them what you think. But either way if they say no, you're going to have to interview.

If the company values you and you know what your market value is, they'll offer you a fair rate - I think people underestimate how often this happens. And if they won't, you probably want to leave anyway.