Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Mosnar posted:

You've got really, really good eyes!

Not seen: When I finally poked my head under the car, I noticed surface rust on the brake calipers and rear axle. Is this a thing? Should I be concerned?

I live in Texas and my axle is still covered in surface rust. It's all fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mosnar
Apr 21, 2007
Dropping Heavy Things From High Places, LLC

Buhbuhj posted:

If you mean the hubs on the rotors, that's normal rust. I actually painted them black with some high heat paint on my car just so I can avoid it. The calipers shouldn't really be rusting but some surface rust shouldn't be an issue regardless of where it is.

Arg. You are correct: hubs. I used the wrong word and now feel a profound sense of shame.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
OK, Opinions on this? convert 5 lug wheels to F1 style single center lock.

Cons = its expensive, obviously its gonna add weight, possible for them to unscrew? (website says its impossible?)

Pros = possibly harder to steal since no one has a 2" sized sprocket shaped wrench? possibly has a coolness factor like exotics have?

http://www.forgeline.com/products/center-lock-wheels-and-center-lock-conversion/center-lock-conversion/flush-loc-conversion.html

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
$2000 is a lot of money for coolness factor. Are mustang wheels ever stolen? My bullitts were $110 regular price, not exactly a hot commodity. I think my tires are worth more.

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011

Mosnar posted:

You've got really, really good eyes!

Not seen: When I finally poked my head under the car, I noticed surface rust on the brake calipers and rear axle. Is this a thing? Should I be concerned?

You'll actually notice several parts on the underbody of the car will generate significant "rust" buildup as that is part of the natural protection the parts have against the elements. Control arms, axles, maybe even struts/shock assemblies will show signs of rustproofing as they age.

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

what a long strange thread its been
I think that from when the parts are heat treated but not plated. We run into the same thing in the machine shop. I noticed one of those parts sat around and looked like it developed rust but its more like a scale.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Switched to my winter set and broke the key for my wheel lock. Can't decide if I want to pay McGard for a new key or if I just get four more normal lug nuts. This may be an easy decision to make after I try to remove the socket I hammered onto the locking nut.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
people dont really want to steal sh**ty wheels if you are running winter tires on steelys. if they are good wheels I would buy wheel locks if nothing more than a deterrent

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Does anyone else's mt82 get really loud and notchy and unpleasant when it gets cold? Looking at forums it seems pretty common. I'm about to get some Red Line in hopes it helps it out some.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Buhbuhj posted:

Does anyone else's mt82 get really loud and notchy and unpleasant when it gets cold? Looking at forums it seems pretty common. I'm about to get some Red Line in hopes it helps it out some.

That's exactly what mine did. Swapping to redline made it a whole new box.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Buhbuhj posted:

Mine is pretty notchy until it warms up. I'll replace the fluid at some point.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I need to refill the transmission fluid in the motor for my convertible top. I have no idea what is in there now, tho it calls for dexron III. One of the how to guides i found said that mercon works better, so i got a dex/merc mix (it's what was in Stock at the store)

Is it likely to cause an issue if i just top it off with that, or am i going to have to drain it first?

film_critic
Jul 23, 2007

We don't go dancing at the club with babies. We go baby clubbing.
Just picked up a 2016 4 cylinder and I didn't want to pay the extra 3k for the 7" dash. where can i read about after market stereos's/subs? google wasn't being helpful!

Thanks!

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

Buhbuhj posted:

Mine feels like rear end too, once its warmed up its a little better but the 1-2 shift always "crunches" on me almost like the clutch isn't all the way in and its missing the gate super annoying...
Not that it's getting driven with the summer tires still on it with temps in the low 30's lol.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Yeah, just put a set of 18" Enkei's and Yokohama snow tires on mine for cold weather duty.

ArthurDent
Sep 21, 2003

Today must be Thursday.
I am fortunate enough to live within driving distance of Tire Rack's distribution center, and I'm wondering... who thinks I can get a set of tires inside my car? I think they'd just fit, has anyone managed it?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I'd put something over your back seat to cover it, but between that and the trunk, sure.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I was able to fit 4 inside my new edge since the rear seats fold down.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Take out the back seats and passenger seat

In a 2013 the rear seat bottoms just pull off and the backs are held in by 3 13mm bolts, 2 minute 25 pound weight loss.

Longpig Bard fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 10, 2015

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Just dropped my Mustang off where I bought it so I could get the front brake TSB taken care of and they've got a GT350 (not an R) on the showroom floor.

$25,000 Market Adjustment

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Q_res posted:

$25,000 Market Adjustment

Surprised there's one on the showroom, not surprised the dealer thinks they can mark it up that much.

In other news I ended up putting Royal Purple Syncromax in my mt82 since it was easier to get ahold of. I also put in the Steeda tranny mount bushing.
Wow, what a huge change. I love how much better it feels now. Way more feel through the clutch pedal and the thud seems to be almost gone. The shifter itself basically has no notchy feeling now even when cold. Feels like a totally different transmission.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Today is a sad day.

Its supposed to be in the 60s next week, but in my town we have a street parking ban starting Nov 15th and its a bitch to arrange our cars in the driveway by whos going to work first. On the bright side it keeps it mint though. (75k miles)

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
Dude, at least you got a garage! I have been using a car cover since I moved out of my parents house. :(

but I totally understand about keeping things mint :)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Cage posted:

Today is a sad day.
Need to remind that car that horses don't hibernate.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

ilkhan posted:

Need to remind that car that horses don't hibernate.
I drove it through the first winter when I bought the car. Had four new snow tires and weight in the trunk and it did great, but one of the previous owners lowered it and I messed up my exhaust pretty bad hitting all the chunks of ice that fell off everyone elses cars.

kalvick posted:

Dude, at least you got a garage! I have been using a car cover since I moved out of my parents house. :(

but I totally understand about keeping things mint :)
I lucked out, thats actually my neighbors garage but she doesn't drive a car so I give her $80 to store it until march.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Cage posted:

I drove it through the first winter when I bought the car. Had four new snow tires and weight in the trunk and it did great, but one of the previous owners lowered it and I messed up my exhaust pretty bad hitting all the chunks of ice that fell off everyone elses cars.
I lucked out, thats actually my neighbors garage but she doesn't drive a car so I give her $80 to store it until march.

You are the luckiest bastard in the world. I cant even get a garage around here for 300 a month.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Why don't you people have homes with garages in them?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Captain Apollo posted:

All my money rests on four rubber things.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Captain Apollo posted:

Down payment went to market adjustment.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Dear Ford, you're under-using your lovely V8's - please build a 4-door Mustang.

Thanks.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
That'd be the tits.

I doubt we'd ever get one.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

El Scotch posted:

Thanks.

Yes, bring back the Falcon. :allears:

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Somehow 4 doors made the charger ugly. When it looked good to start with. I'm superstitious about it now.

Mostly I want rear seats that fold down to open the trunk. In case I want to transport a canoe.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

El Scotch posted:

Thanks.

It is known.

(Seriously, I'd buy the gently caress out of the resulting monstrosity)

Fake Edit: Let's see if we can take the Mustang styling in the direction of a "4-door coupé" like the CLS and have an American-built car that's sexy as all gently caress and has a usable back seat.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ford is no doubt lusting after a share of those ~2500 chevrolet SS yearly sales.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Powershift posted:

Ford is no doubt lusting after a share of those ~2500 chevrolet SS yearly sales.

Is that even a 4-door? Are those even sold here? (both honest questions I don't know the answer to, because this car has literally never been advertised here)

I feel like with even the most meagre marketing effort, a 4-door on the Mustang platform could work somehow. You know as well as I do: practicality is far from the first concern of the Calgary car buyer. I saw 2 panameras today; they're both expensive and they look like a horse's rear end!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Get rid of the rear seats completely, stretch the engine bay out and make the hood longer. Get the hell out of here with that 4 door nonsense.

Didn't know they got rid of the rear fold down seats though. Id install a rear seat delete kit if it allowed me to keep the fold down functionality.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

PT6A posted:

Is that even a 4-door? Are those even sold here? (both honest questions I don't know the answer to, because this car has literally never been advertised here)

I think I saw one just today. Front was all dolled up in full Holden garb, but the trunk lid said "SS". My first thought was G8 GT, but it looked too new for that, and the trunk emblem suggested otherwise.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I actually googled for 4-door mustang, hoping for some concept art. No luck. Has anyone else stumbled upon some?

EDIT i'm dumb.
Art from april fools.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/first-looks/2014-ford-mustang-sedan

https://www.google.com/search?q=4+d...1CWOkIoGsCdM%3A

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Nov 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Vahakyla posted:

I actually googled for 4-door mustang, hoping for some concept art. No luck. Has anyone else stumbled upon some?

:haw: