Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

:fork::fork::fork:
Yam Slacker
The thought of SNL again wading into politics, with them having Trump on to host, plus the sci-if talk, roused from my memory, a sketch from back when SNL was funny.

The '92 Democratic Candidates speak at a Star Trek convention.
https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/road-to-the-white-house-cold-open/2868119

And it features a current sitting senator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
SNL has always been funny except for a brief period in the eighties and always will be.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

greatn posted:

SNL has always been funny except for a brief period in the eighties and always will be.

As someone who spent the better part of the 90s as an unpopular teenager with nothing better to do, I have to disagree.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

xrunner posted:

As someone who spent the better part of the 90s as an unpopular teenager with nothing better to do, I have to disagree.

Well now we know why you were unpopular

Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

:fork::fork::fork:
Yam Slacker
Just on the basis of their political humor, I think the last several elections' sketches have been pretty limp. The most surface level imitation, with very little insight or observation. I'm not asking for anything that deep, but it was just really lame. Plus that schoolhouse rock parody was a load of horseshit.

Darrell Hammond's Chris Matthews impression will never not make me laugh, though.

Heteroy fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Oct 31, 2015

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
SNL was never funny; only its predecessor, NBC's Saturday Night, was any good.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

DemeaninDemon posted:

Still waiting on answers about Benghazi Boneghazi.

Fixed that for you. :hb:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Absurd Alhazred posted:

SNL was never funny; only its predecessor, NBC's Saturday Night, was any good.
This take is so hot it's blazing.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

:stare: holy poo poo lol

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
The last good joke was probably made by Aristophanes (save for a good zinger or two by Catullus), and everything after that has been downhill ever since.

When do we start heading out of the early stages of the nomination race?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

:lol:

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

This is exactly the kind of book I want to have next to my copy of Atlas Shrugged. Thanks, Mike Huckabee!

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Joementum posted:

Probably the strongest Congressional Hits and Misses of the year. Bill Nelson's brain reaching escape velocity. Harry Reid trolling Republicans on the Hastert rule. A Ted Cruz speech. And an open mic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNQHkjAI8Fc

Harry Reid's eye is better again? :unsmith:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Tortilla Coast has pretty good BBQ. Not sure that BBQ is really Tex-Mex, seems like it's just Tex, but what are you gonna do?

It's not worth the price at all. Almost 20 dollars for fajitas?!? Go to Lauriol Plaza, Rosa Mexicana, or Oyamel if you want good Mexican in DC.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Dunno why you'd even bother with Mexican in DC when you've got Peruvian or Ethiopian joints on every corner.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Rhesus Pieces posted:

If i had to make a list of the last places i expected to see a fyad injoke, the bookshelf of a guy on msnbc would be up there.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Necc0 posted:

Dunno why you'd even bother with Mexican in DC when you've got Peruvian or Ethiopian joints on every corner.

NoVa is the only place that has authentic Ethiopian cuisines. If you can't buy raw goat and honey wine it isn't real Ethiopian.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Necc0 posted:

You're an old-rear end congressman who doesn't care how overpriced things are and want to eat fast food that is higher class than mcdonalds but not terrifyingly ethnic.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Rhesus Pieces posted:

we live in a strange goddamn universe

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
So I think I've figured out what the Republican candidates want re:debates. Image an otherwise empty stage with fifteen chairs, the candidates file in. Sean Hannity yells "Abortion" and everyone gets 2 minutes to talk about how bad it is. Mark Levin then yells "Taxes" and everyone gets 2 minutes to talk about how bad they are, ad infinitum. No questions, no follow ups, no fact checking, just unchallenged statements for two hours.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Oh god. Bill Maher whining about why Obama doesn't use the words "Islamic extremism". :psyduck:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

awesmoe posted:

If i had to make a list of the last places i expected to see a fyad injoke, the bookshelf of a guy on msnbc would be up there.

Can someone explain the FYAD joke for the initiated? I've basically never lurked FYAD.

Is it the long face book?

[e]: Sorry, phone auto-correct.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Oct 31, 2015

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhesus Pieces posted:

oh hi d&d posting superstar boniface

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Mr Interweb posted:

Oh god. Bill Maher whining about why Obama doesn't use the words "Islamic extremism". :psyduck:

It is fascinating to me how 9/11 led to completely different types of ideologies becoming equally repellent in parallel ways.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Can someone explain the FYAD joke for the initiated? I've basically never lurked FYAD.

Is it the long fave book?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2300

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Is it the long fave book?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05cSvINk2G4

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

oh hi d&d posting superstar boniface

I hope he does more of these. Every one so far had a forums easter egg on the bookshelf.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The senate passed the debt ceiling raise, correct? Default is averted?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Every now and then the mask slips and the universe lets me know that it's all just one big joke.

Night10194 posted:

Passed and signed. That poo poo's out of the way until after the election.

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.

Night10194 posted:

Yeah, it passed 64-35.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Joementum posted:

They regularly book the basement of Washington D.C. Tex-Mex restaurant The Tortilla Coast for their meetings.

Come to think of it, how has there not been a candid video taken by a bus boy or something a la Mitt and the 47% video.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Passed and signed. That poo poo's out of the way until after the election.

Well, that's quite a relief. Thanks.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Bad week for Bobby J

I'm sure the house GOP will recognize the feet being kicked out from under the PP committee and realize what an enormous boondoggle it will be though, right?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Bushiz posted:

we live in a strange goddamn universe

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Come to think of it, how has there not been a candid video taken by a bus boy or something a la Mitt and the 47% video.

Because lovely white-folks-try-mexican restaurants are invariably run and staffed by people as awful as their repeat clientele.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Paul Ryan worked there as a server in the nineties. This should tell you everything you need to know about their hiring practies.

Also, apparently the murals on the walls were painted by the daughter-in-law of James Baker.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Salvor_Hardin posted:

They tip well. If they stiffed them there'd be a dozen tape recorders there, but if they tip well on regular, big bills the wait staff will literally beat up reporters trying to get access to them.

$2.13/hour is a hell of a thing

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Zeroisanumber posted:

Every now and then the mask slips and the universe lets me know that it's all just one big joke.

I'm not sure about a lot of things, but I know this never happens in the universe where Gore was president.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Epic High Five posted:

Bad week for Bobby J

I'm sure the house GOP will recognize the feet being kicked out from under the PP committee and realize what an enormous boondoggle it will be though, right?

Alabama also lost its case Wednesday. Next up, of course, is Texas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I didn't know about these

I'm going to allow myself a second ghastly cackle tonight

• Locked thread