Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Fo3 posted:

Are they eating food with something on there they didn't like/want/are allergic to? Or is it over or under cooked meat? Are they complaining to you after they have barely touched it?
Or are they just complaining when the bill comes after eating most of it?

In most cases the kitchen just gives me 5 out of 6 meals that are on a bill and say "the other meal will be out in 8 minutes we forgot to make it, here you go"
Or I will say "this was supposed to have no cheese, like it says on the bill". Or "this has a nut allergy rang in I it, why did you garnish it with almonds when it says NUT ALLERGY NO ALMONDS"

To which the reply is usually "we'll have a new one up for you in about 8 minutes"

Which is assuming it's not busy, if it's busy sometimes it's a 20 minute wait.

Usually I nip complaints in the bud by apologizing to the customer for the extended wait on their meal, and then when it's bill time I will tell them that I've taken a few dollars off of their bill, or I have comped their food (depending on wait time)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Fo3 posted:

Are they eating food with something on there they didn't like/want/are allergic to? Or is it over or under cooked meat? Are they complaining to you after they have barely touched it?
Or are they just complaining when the bill comes after eating most of it?

I work in a restaurant that's pretty expensive for what we serve, and even there that last one is an exceedingly rare occurrence.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Mezzanon posted:

In most cases the kitchen just gives me 5 out of 6 meals that are on a bill and say "the other meal will be out in 8 minutes we forgot to make it, here you go"
Or I will say "this was supposed to have no cheese, like it says on the bill". Or "this has a nut allergy rang in I it, why did you garnish it with almonds when it says NUT ALLERGY NO ALMONDS"

To which the reply is usually "we'll have a new one up for you in about 8 minutes"

Usually I nip complaints in the bud by apologizing to the customer for the extended wait on their meal, and then when it's bill time I will tell them that I've taken a few dollars off of their bill, or I have comped their food (depending on wait time)

Does your exec chef spend all of their time flirting with hostesses or something? Or is this less common than reading it made it sound?

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Hey they found the bottle of Darius 2! Some dumb gently caress didn't ring it in. I looked our GM in the face in private and told him to apologize to me. He did and then tried to explain it, I said its cool. I just needed to hear Im sorry. My application is out at three restaurants and some liquor stores and whole foods as well as HEB and Kroger. At this point I'm looking to just lay low until I get my college acceptance letters.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Don't work at Whole Foods.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

A Man and his dog posted:

Don't work at Whole Foods.

Why would I not if they give me a solid pay?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Secret Spoon posted:

Why would I not if they give me a solid pay?

Just trust him. He's the thread's expert on good life choices and career advice.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
None of the girls there get down

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Mezzanon posted:

Sounds like you need to hire some new help for the kitchenif they are making this many mistakes.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Whole Foods is a good employer. Work there. Part time bartender at four seasons, Omni, Marriott, etc. will also be good money.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Mezzanon posted:

Your cooks suck, fire them and get new ones.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I had my first training shift last night at the new restaurant where I'll be serving. I was folding napkins and BSing with some of the other servers, just asking some questions about the place, and they surprisingly all had very good things to say about working there, and their major gripes were with other servers for shirking sidework (surprise surprise).

The guy I shadowed, same guy I was with during my stage, is a 35 year old who dropped out of college to pursue music production (said he "pulled a Kanye", lol) and who has one of the most foul mouths I've ever heard, but I'll be damned if he isn't a good server. It was a bit slow last night, but he had a 12-top that when I was dismissed for the evening, the bill was rapidly approaching $1k. Old dudes ordering wine at $32/glass who don't give a poo poo because it's going on the company card are the best.

Here is a really dumb question. I've been out of the restaurant game for a little under a decade, and mostly worked in chain restaurants where there isn't really an executive chef. During my stage, I saw a guy who I thought was the expo, getting all the finished plates ready and looking good and calling out tickets, etc. Turns out he is the executive chef, to whom I introduced myself. He seems extremely competent. Is it common for the chef to be doing that and barking orders at the line, rather than cooking? Or do they only cook during times of need (busy/callouts)?

Had some delicious pork belly, shrimp, and a tiny apple tart with a crust that if I was blindfolded I'd have told you was made out of 100% butter. I'm looking forward to this.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I've never met a half way decent server who doesn't cuss like a sailor.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Depends lots on the type/style of restaurant and service, but under an expo&backwaiter system having the chef as the expo is fairly common because a)he gets final say on every plate and b) expo is a hard job to do well and can make or break a service more than any other position and c)see b, it's hard to find competent people to do it, especially since an expo shift might be 4 hours or less depending on what day and how busy it is. It is also because the chef should be there during busy services but should not be tied to a cooking station so that they can bail out a station in the weeds or go kiss hands and shake babies with VIPs on the floor.

When I was sous chef in a place where the chef never worked night shifts I would either hot expo between the grill and saute cooks when we had a good front expo or kick the front expos off their station and have them be my food runners while I was expo on thurs, fri, sat nights.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Your cooks suck, fire them and get new ones.

Pretty much this. Our head night chef quit to open his own restaurant leaving us with only a daytime BOH guy. Which means that on nights when it is busy, everybody is either completely burnt out, or so new they can barely read chits.

The restaurant industry, folks!

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Kitchen management shouldn't be cooking unless you've got call offs or are short handed. Even on busy nights I expo, or work on prep that is extremely expensive.

e: I'm only cooking for VIP dinners or banquet tastings, almost all of my time goes to paperwork or prep. Not to be an rear end in a top hat, but I adhere to my standards, and not every line cook will. That's why they don't get to handle big prep projects, if you don't follow the brine recipes exactly, poo poo will be salty!

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 30, 2015

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Sorry I just know a girl who got completely hosed by Whole Foods. But I guess it was 50/50.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

A Man and his dog posted:

Sorry I just know a girl who got completely hosed by Whole Foods. But I guess it was 50/50.

What does that even mean? How does someone get "completely hosed", but it was 50/50? Tell the story.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
She moved and had all this time off or whatever saved up and she never got rehired or something along those lines.

Girl had a burning hatred for the place.

:tipshat:

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

I actually know even less now.

Anyways, Ill be walking in this next Tuesday, hopefully they have a somm position open. I think I need a break from table side service for a while. I had a short conversation with Devon this past week at my test and he said they love hiring people out of the industry and veterans so maybe I have a shot at a flat 20$ an hour gig. God I hope.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Sounds like she said she was transferring to a new store (which WF is super good about) never started there and then didn't cash out her pto?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Yeah, whole foods treats their employees great.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
A friend of mine started as a cashier at WF and ended up doing some gig where she would fly around and open new stores and work with under performing ones. I can't remember what her exact job title was. In any case, she was with them for like 10-12 years and never really had a bad thing to say, other then the usual crappy coworker/boss stuff.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I wish I had mezzanon's freedom with comps. I understand why it would be absolute madness to let anyone comp food, but I've spent three years getting used to an attitude of sucking a few bucks of loss to take care of the guest. There are extremes on either side of that, but I've found that mgmt more frequently errs on the side of substandard food/service for the sake of saving a buck.

pile of brown posted:

Depends lots on the type/style of restaurant and service, but under an expo&backwaiter system having the chef as the expo is fairly common because a)he gets final say on every plate and b) expo is a hard job to do well and can make or break a service more than any other position and c)see b, it's hard to find competent people to do it, especially since an expo shift might be 4 hours or less depending on what day and how busy it is. It is also because the chef should be there during busy services but should not be tied to a cooking station so that they can bail out a station in the weeds or go kiss hands and shake babies with VIPs on the floor.

When I was sous chef in a place where the chef never worked night shifts I would either hot expo between the grill and saute cooks when we had a good front expo or kick the front expos off their station and have them be my food runners while I was expo on thurs, fri, sat nights.

In further detail, as an expo it is incredibly important to know when to talk to your cooks, what to say when you do talk, and when to keep your mouth shut and let the cooks do some cooking. A (good) chef is going to know things form the cook's perspective and thus be able to balance the communication on top of all the other factors.

In my experience (which is fairly limited compared to guys like Monks and CdC) an exec chef should largely be an office manager. Not in the sense of sitting on his butt doing nothing, but taking care of the logistics, VIPs, making menus, etc. Exec organizes the big picture, sous chefs and shift leads are responsible for the more detailed hand-on stuff.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Vorenus posted:

In my experience (which is fairly limited compared to guys like Monks and CdC) an exec chef should largely be an office manager. Not in the sense of sitting on his butt doing nothing, but taking care of the logistics, VIPs, making menus, etc. Exec organizes the big picture, sous chefs and shift leads are responsible for the more detailed hand-on stuff.

It really depends on the place. There's Like the super high end or large groups, where sure David Chang is the "chef" of Ssam Bar or Mario Batali is the "chef" at Babbo, but they have so many places and considerations (outlets, retail, books, magazines, publicity, shoes, theme parks, whatever the gently caress), that there is probably multiple levels of people between Mario Batali and the guy who is wiping your pasta plate edges at Del Posto tonight. To your point, the EC takes care of the big picture -- the bigger that is, the more people need to be between that and the line.

My chef was pretty hands on, and I have to give mad respect for that. He did the intensive/difficult prep during the day, and would assist with expo during busy periods on weekends. As the sous, I was somewhere in between that and the line cooks. Thursday I would do a lot of sauce making and protein prep. Rarely I would have to come on the line, but when I did I would be the "middle" as we called it, basically expo/air traffic control between saute and grill. I'd pull tickets, start some dishes and apps, and assemble the tables/put plates in the window. Friday and Saturday nights, I would do that for the entire time until maybe 8:30/9pm when it began to slow, then it would be Thursday mode, hop on as needed. Sunday and Monday I was basically just a line cook, chef was off so I guess I was chef, and I ran saute station end to end as well as call in orders. It actually was not so grueling because it wasn't the line five nights a week.

The worst days were when we'd have a concert or symphony or some poo poo not on the weekend, and chef would come behind the line and be "the middle" while I was saute. He was loving intense to the point of making the whole kitchen nervous. All the rest of the time he was pretty cool. And super professional -- he'd rarely (once every two weeks) have half a beer after his shift, typically just trying some new interesting stuff. He'd get SUPER stoned on his days off, but those were his days off and we respected them as he did for us. Never while on the job. He cut his teeth in SF in the early 90s; I learned more from him than I ever did in culinary school or any other restaurant.

He passed away tonight.

Ha actually no he's fine and owns a little killer bbq joint and whiskey bar in Baltimore. :3

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
Got to cook for Robert Irvine tonight and he said it was the best meal he's ever had. Feels good man.

His biceps are even larger in person. I think he could crush someone's skull if he flexed. Scarlett Johansson was also in the area. :allears:

Disargeria fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 31, 2015

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Cool beans, good job dude!

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
What what his meal?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I doubt he was willing to get down

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
We did a 10 course tasting menu.

http://i.imgur.com/svXQaBk.jpg

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Putting "kobe style" on stuff that is not kobe is about on par with putting "Michelin star style" on your menu when you don't have one

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

pile of brown posted:

Putting "kobe style" on stuff that is not kobe is about on par with putting "Michelin star style" on your menu when you don't have one

What does Kobe mean?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I always assumed it referred to Kobe beef, but I guess not

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
*leans in close to the cow*

"Hey. Hey! I'm genuinely sorry for everything. Okay, now you're wagyu"

*does the needful with an air cylinder*

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Even if I had enough money to buy a fleet of yachts I would never spend that much money on a meal.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Skwirl posted:

What does Kobe mean?

Kobe beef comes from a specific breed of cows that have been raised a certain way in one province of Japan (kobe) and slaughtered under specific standards by one of two certified slaughterhouses in Kobe, Japan. It's relatively recent that any beef whatsoever, Kobe or not, was permitted to be imported from Japan and the amount of actual Kobe beef imported from Japan, to this day, is very small. It's a buzzword used to sell whatever beef product at an insane premium and it's only permitted because the US has no respect for foreign copyright laws.

Articles:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...BO7mIPHNDduftDg
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...At4KYS1c1GhWx1g

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Oct 31, 2015

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Vorenus posted:

Even if I had enough money to buy a fleet of yachts I would never spend that much money on a meal.

Lollllllllllllllllllllll

You're missing out bud.

Out of curiosity, what's the price on the tasting menu?

Spending money on good meals loving rules.

E: at my previous resto, we served A5 Miyazaki beef carpaccio (and enchiladas for family meal!) and they always sent us a certificate with the lineage of the cow, a nose print, embossed seal, etc. was pretty cool. I'll look through my phone and see if I can find some photos.

MAKE NO BABBYS fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Oct 31, 2015

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Do you really need the wikipedia entry for a white truffle?

Other than that spergy nitpick, I approve of the dishes and also of the pairings. To me it's not entirely obvious as far as which courses have the supplementals (there's the little bars between everything), and sour apple and sour cream seems like a little much but I'm sure it's good.

Maybe this menu seems a little safe? Like if I had to poo poo out a multi-course dinner, it would be, you know raw -> chilled -> poached -> roasted fish, then poultry that isn't duck->pork ->duck -> game steak -> braised beef something -> cheeses -> fruit dessert -> chocolate dessert -> mignardisessss

I used to read the french laundry, per se, and ad hoc menus every day for like 4 years, so the progression is quite familiar to me.

I'm being an rear end in a top hat, this looks like a solid loving meal.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Vorenus posted:

I wish I had mezzanon's freedom with comps. I understand why it would be absolute madness to let anyone comp food, but I've spent three years getting used to an attitude of sucking a few bucks of loss to take care of the guest. There are extremes on either side of that, but I've found that mgmt more frequently errs on the side of substandard food/service for the sake of saving a buck.

I've been working at this place for a while.

Another wonderful evening of ten people on line, with no organization or designated bill caller, with a single pizza taking 48 minutes from printing to table. Meanwhile I had some tables sat next to it with meals AND appetizers have everything Come out in under 30 minutes.

At least I still made a couple bills in tips, and nothing needed comping. Another beautiful day in the weeds for dinner.

Don't get me started on the campers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Overheard in the kitchen yesterday (we were just dining there after they opened):

:chef:: (to customer-facing service manager lady) so why are you wearing the chef jacket?
:j:: well, I have to go up to the customer's tables to deal with issues and they respect me more if I have this on

• Locked thread