Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

dhrusis posted:

Just roasted a profile of this: http://coffeeshrub.com/shrub/coffee/guatemala-acatenango-gesha-1 to City +... considering the sample was 13.17$ and a 50# bag is 897$, I wont be offering it, but it was interesting to try.

It's good, but not significantly different from other coffee that I roast, and not worth 2x+ the price.

Interested to hear what everyone else thinks about 'Gesha' varieties...

The shop near me was getting 1lb bags of Gesha varieties every few months or so for a while and doing 10 cups of it to the first 10 people. I had three of them and they were all pretty good. I've never bought any to roast though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Got to play with the Decent Coffee prototype at Portland's Coffee Fest this weekend and I have to say, those guys know what they're doing and I'm pretty excited to see the finished product. Got me thinking about upgrading our shop machine...

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
MY GIRLFRIEND is convinced it's impossible to get cappuccino like they make at hipster Portland coffee shops, at home (she likes dry cappuccino, basically extra foamy and thick). I'm convinced that there's some sort of at-home machine you can get that will give you the same quality, and I'm looking to find one.

The question is: What should I be looking at getting? I'm not really that concerned about price, but I'd like to keep it under a couple hundred bucks, if possible. If not, then whatever one of these things runs (I have no idea). I don't drink espresso or cappuccino, so I have nothing to go on.

This is all assuming that I've got a high-end grinder, the manual competence to make one correctly, good coffee, etc.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

MY GIRLFRIEND is convinced it's impossible to get cappuccino like they make at hipster Portland coffee shops, at home (she likes dry cappuccino, basically extra foamy and thick). I'm convinced that there's some sort of at-home machine you can get that will give you the same quality, and I'm looking to find one.

The question is: What should I be looking at getting? I'm not really that concerned about price, but I'd like to keep it under a couple hundred bucks, if possible. If not, then whatever one of these things runs (I have no idea). I don't drink espresso or cappuccino, so I have nothing to go on.

This is all assuming that I've got a high-end grinder, the manual competence to make one correctly, good coffee, etc.

What grinder do you have currently? The go to entry level espresso machine is the Gaggia Classic. It's not perfect, but it can definitely make a decent cappuccino.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

I can make terrible dry caps with my Gaggia Classic. I can also make actually good caps with it.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

PRADA SLUT posted:

If you want to completely remove yourself as a potential point of failure you could just get a Nespresso Aeroccino to handle the foam. The Gaggia isn't a bad machine but has a steeper learning curve due to the commercial-style portafilter; an entry-level Saeco will perform about the same but come with a pressurized portafilter which removes a lot of margin of error in your grind. If you just want to please your girlfriend as quickly and easily as possible it's probably a better choice, but if you're interested in coffee as a hobby and not just a beverage the Gaggia will definitely take you further down that path.

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007
Can coffee from a moka pot make something cappuccino-like if you can make the steamed milk? Or am I thinking of an americano? (I've never actually had espresso or derivatives so I don't have anything to base this on). I tried to half-assedly make one once by heating milk in a microwave and then whipping it but I didn't have the right whipper thing and it made a huge mess so I didn't try again. But still curious. Apparently you can also aerate heated milk in a french press?

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Flattened Spoon posted:

Can coffee from a moka pot make something cappuccino-like if you can make the steamed milk? Or am I thinking of an americano? (I've never actually had espresso or derivatives so I don't have anything to base this on). I tried to half-assedly make one once by heating milk in a microwave and then whipping it but I didn't have the right whipper thing and it made a huge mess so I didn't try again. But still curious. Apparently you can also aerate heated milk in a french press?
Think of coffee drinks kinda like mixed alcoholic drinks. You have your base, which is a shot or two of espresso, then depending on what you add to that it turns into a cappuccino, americano, latte, etc. This might make it clearer: http://lokeshdhakar.com/coffee-drinks-illustrated/ SO, to make a cappuccino you need something to produce a shot of espresso and something to turn cold milk into thick, hot foam, then you carefully add one to the other. There are a million different ways to press hot water through coffee grounds and produce coffee/espresso, but to get a beautiful shot like you would at a cafe requires similar equipment to what they use. In the same vein, you can fold air into milk using hand mixers or a french press or any number of other hacks, but you will never get thick, dry microfoam like you would in a cafe without the proper tools. That only matters if you're trying to duplicate that cafe cappuccino at home though. If you like the coffee that comes from a mokapot (got me through college) and how it tastes when mixed with microwaved, french-press-aerated milk, then that's probably the way you should keep doing it. There's little to be gained worrying about doing it "right" according to someone else's preferences.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why do people like thick/dry foam? It tastes like nothing.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

Why do people like thick/dry foam? It tastes like nothing.

I've always wondered that too. I just can't really get into cappuccinos. Lattes are so much better to me, especially because the thin foam on top if like half delicious crema.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

For me it's all about the ratio. A latte has entirely too much milk. Ideally I get a cortado (equal parts espresso and milk) but with the milk steamed like a flat white.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

rockcity posted:

I've always wondered that too. I just can't really get into cappuccinos. Lattes are so much better to me, especially because the thin foam on top if like half delicious crema.

Cappucinos are my favorite because it's not too much milk. Getting a latte just tastes like hot milk with a little coffee on it. Which is delicious but not the best.

Capp supremacy

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Oct 28, 2015

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Espresso macchiato is the way to go.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Sextro posted:

For me it's all about the ratio. A latte has entirely too much milk. Ideally I get a cortado (equal parts espresso and milk) but with the milk steamed like a flat white.

I find it depends on the size. Cortados are actually my preferred beverage, but I mentioned lattes because I felt the size was closer to a cap. I make my lattes in an 8oz cap cup anyway.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

Cappucinos are my favorite because it's not too much milk. Getting a latte just tastes like hot milk with a little coffee on it. Which is delicious but not the best.

Capp supremacy

Yeah trad caps are the best. Although honestly I feel like the distinctions between different coffee drinks are kind of bullshit and the terminlogy varies a lot from cafe to cafe (not to mention, country to country). For me, as long as the milk has the right texture (paint-like, not bubbly), it doesn't really matter how much of it there is. Anything from a 1:1 to a 1:3 espresso to milk ratio is perfect in my book.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 28, 2015

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

bizwank posted:

If you want to completely remove yourself as a potential point of failure you could just get a Nespresso Aeroccino to handle the foam. The Gaggia isn't a bad machine but has a steeper learning curve due to the commercial-style portafilter; an entry-level Saeco will perform about the same but come with a pressurized portafilter which removes a lot of margin of error in your grind. If you just want to please your girlfriend as quickly and easily as possible it's probably a better choice, but if you're interested in coffee as a hobby and not just a beverage the Gaggia will definitely take you further down that path.

I don't particularly mind learning to make it, I've got like half a dozen different things here for making pourovers that I've learned how to use.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I've been very pleased with the coffee coming out of my CCD recently. The past few days have been particularly tasty cups of coffee. Of course, I also thought flavia cups were not bad after drinking multiple cups a day during busy season at work, so it is possible my taste buds don't know good coffee any more...

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

bizwank posted:

Got to play with the Decent Coffee prototype at Portland's Coffee Fest this weekend and I have to say, those guys know what they're doing and I'm pretty excited to see the finished product. Got me thinking about upgrading our shop machine...

Wow. Had no idea what the Decent Coffee machine was, looked it up. Tech startup that uses computer control to regulate temperature/pressure without needing a boiler? Sounds like the second iteration of that PID-Espresso Machine Kickstarter that fizzled away two-three years ago. I go to check that KS page for laughs, and lo and behold!

e: Ahahaha The $300-$400 pledged to that KS now gives you a $200 off coupon for Decent Coffee's machine, which is $1,000 at the cheapest. 10/10

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 28, 2015

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Archenteron posted:

Wow. Had no idea what the Decent Coffee machine was, looked it up. Tech startup that uses computer control to regulate temperature/pressure without needing a boiler? Sounds like the second iteration of that PID-Espresso Machine Kickstarter that fizzled away two-three years ago. I go to check that KS page for laughs, and lo and behold!

e: Ahahaha The $300-$400 pledged to that KS now gives you a $200 off coupon for Decent Coffee's machine, which is $1,000 at the cheapest. 10/10
The Decent group licensed some IP (code) from the failed KS project, other then that it's an entirely new machine and company. The KS failed simply because the founders had never done anything even remotely close to designing and manufacturing an espresso machine, and grossly underestimated how difficult, expensive and time consuming it would be ($400 msrp lol). They made some good headway though and Decent is building off of that with a team that actually knows how to execute on a project of this scale and complexity, and they're consulting with repair shops and other machine manufacturers along the way. I don't want to sound like I'm shilling for them, I'm just excited to see a high-tech entry into the consumer market that has a good chance of success; as a geek who loves coffee it pushes all of my buttons.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Is there a go-to moka brand or are the basically all the same? You guys have piqued my interest with all the home espresso talk but I have no space or money for an actual espresso machine so I'm looking at the in between traditional italian home method now :)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Peets just bought Intelligentsia

http://www.eater.com/2015/10/30/9643642/blockbuster-peets-coffee-tea-buys-intelligentsia-coffee

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

And Stumptown a few weeks ago...

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I kinda had a feeling that Intelligentsia was looking to sell out a year ago when I started seeing their old beans on Target shelves

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

One one hand I'm glad that these guys are getting rich while they can. On the other hand Peet's is godawful.

Steve Yun posted:

I kinda had a feeling that Intelligentsia was looking to sell out a year ago when I started seeing their old beans on Target shelves

Stuff like this is why I completely understand Blue Bottle cancelling their wholesale business. It devalues your brand seeing 2-month old beans at grocery stores.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I've never actually had peets, what does it compare to

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Starbucks

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I remember coffee snobs singing Peet's praises when Starbucks was blowing up.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Peet's was good at one point. It was purchased by some German conglomerate and turned to poo poo. Though it was pretty bad even before then. You can't maintain quality when you have over 100 stores.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 31, 2015

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Peets was good back in the 1990's as a sbux alternative in the sf area, that's about all I remember.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Any idea how much I could sell my used Baratza Vario for? I bought it last June and have put maybe 10 pounds of coffee through it. I bought it with my espresso machine, but once I realized I didn't have the time for espresso, it's just a really expensive grinder for my Chemex and I obviously don't need it.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

It's pretty much still new so I'd price it at 10-20% off what they're going for now and see if anyone bites (if you're putting it on craigslist). If you're going the Ebay route just look at completed auctions for the last 3 months and price accordingly.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
What's the 1k espresso solution like these days? I've got a buddy wanting to get an espresso machine/grinder. Someone was telling him to get some Breville frankenmachine. I'm recommending a Sylvia/Rocky combo. Any other thoughts?

Also - is there a US source of Reg Barber tampers? I can only find the old models (I want a c-flat) - and I hate paying the Canadian shipping charges.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

porktree posted:

What's the 1k espresso solution like these days? I've got a buddy wanting to get an espresso machine/grinder. Someone was telling him to get some Breville frankenmachine. I'm recommending a Sylvia/Rocky combo. Any other thoughts?

Also - is there a US source of Reg Barber tampers? I can only find the old models (I want a c-flat) - and I hate paying the Canadian shipping charges.

Sylvia/Rocky would be solid. Maybe take a look at LeLit as well for the espresso machine.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

You can't go wrong with a Silvia with a PID and either a Rocky or a Baratza. Breville shut down their service center network and spare parts distribution at the start of the year so good luck getting any of their stuff fixed...

https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/brands/reg-barber

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

porktree posted:

Whoa I had no idea there were different shapes for tamper bases. How much of a difference does it really make?

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

dik-dik posted:

Whoa I had no idea there were different shapes for tamper bases. How much of a difference does it really make?

I don't know! Seattle Coffee Gear only has the old model, if you go to coffeetamper.com you can pick your shape. The C-Flat looked interesting to me, with edge seal. I've got an older Reg Barber tamper and it is some sweeeeeet kit. I'm hesitating at spending $90 US on a new tamper (when my existing tamper is in perfect shape).

Has anyone else looked deeply into the tamper abyss?

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

bizwank posted:

You can't go wrong with a Silvia with a PID and either a Rocky or a Baratza. Breville shut down their service center network and spare parts distribution at the start of the year so good luck getting any of their stuff fixed...

Do you have a source for this? I bought a BES920XL earlier in the year based in part on the two-year warranty and other people's experience with their customer service department. It'd be a real pain in the butt if they're scaling that stuff back.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

porktree posted:

I don't know! Seattle Coffee Gear only has the old model, if you go to coffeetamper.com you can pick your shape.
Select any one of the tampers on Seattle Coffee Gear dot com and hit the "Base Size" dropdown, they call it the C-Flat Curve (Reg just calls it the C-Flat but it does have a curve to it). I believe they're Reg's US official distributor so if he's selling something on his site that they don't have they will probably have it soon.

TheJeffers posted:

Do you have a source for this? I bought a BES920XL earlier in the year based in part on the two-year warranty and other people's experience with their customer service department. It'd be a real pain in the butt if they're scaling that stuff back.

I heard it from 3-4 repair shops that use to be Breville service centers. I just looked into it further and apparently the dual-boiler machines that are still under warranty (2 years) get shipped to CA for repair or replacement, single boiler machines (1 year warranty) just get replaced (then sold as refurbished units). If it's out of warranty you can still ship it to them for "repair" but there's an upfront cost of $200-$350 (including shipping, depends on which model you have) because they just refurbish the whole machine. So, there is still one repair-ish option once the warranty is up. Same business model as Jura btw, except they never had a service center network to begin with.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

bizwank posted:

Select any one of the tampers on Seattle Coffee Gear dot com and hit the "Base Size" dropdown, they call it the C-Flat Curve (Reg just calls it the C-Flat but it does have a curve to it). I believe they're Reg's US official distributor so if he's selling something on his site that they don't have they will probably have it soon.
Holy crap - awesome. Thanks for helping me use the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

porktree posted:

I don't know! Seattle Coffee Gear only has the old model, if you go to coffeetamper.com you can pick your shape. The C-Flat looked interesting to me, with edge seal. I've got an older Reg Barber tamper and it is some sweeeeeet kit. I'm hesitating at spending $90 US on a new tamper (when my existing tamper is in perfect shape).

Has anyone else looked deeply into the tamper abyss?

We used one of the C-Flat style ones for a few days after someone lost the shop tamp, and I didn't really like it. It wasn't a huge difference, really, but I feel like I get more consistent shots when I use the normal flat tamp.