Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Pfft Jedi, Sith? It's all the same. There's a whole galaxy of not Jedi and Sith lookin at them dickheads giving every other Force-user a bad name. Them's junkie cracker assholes and don't even get me started on those Skywalker fucks...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Jedit posted:

It's something that's also good in the book of Dune. Laser cannon exist, but so do personal energy shields and if the one hits the other it really is not good for the person holding the gun.

Both shield and gun go blammo. So all the Baron needed to obliterate the entire Atreides line is two send one suicide bomber with a laser into Arrakeen and shoot their estate. For all the detail Herbert put into the setting, he did ocassionaly just drop in some nonsense technology for the sake of it.

See also: house weasels, or the bomb that either blinds everyone in a 50 yard radius, or cracks the planet in two.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Except Paul is the kwisatz haderach & knows the weirding way so the only way to gently caress with House Atreides is by recruting someone from the inside and giving them hollow poison teeth.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Both shield and gun go blammo. So all the Baron needed to obliterate the entire Atreides line is two send one suicide bomber with a laser into Arrakeen and shoot their estate. For all the detail Herbert put into the setting, he did ocassionaly just drop in some nonsense technology for the sake of it.

See also: house weasels, or the bomb that either blinds everyone in a 50 yard radius, or cracks the planet in two.

There's that whole war of assassins rules they have to follow that the book talks about. If you blow up a huge chunk of the city, the other houses would gently caress up the harkonnens good.

The stone burner bomb in the second one made no sense though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Nobody used the lasgun/shield thing as a weapon because it was inconsistent. It could have the strength of an atomic blast or it could just kill the person firing the gun.

Memento posted:

I may be mis-remembering it but I thought Cruise's character didn't actually have a minority report?

Yes, that was the big reveal at the end, he didn't have one so he actually was going to do it.

Ryoshi posted:

The actual worst part of Minority Report is the wooden balls themselves, which are just about the absolute dumbest user interface ever particularly in a society with floating glove computers and hi-tech puke billy clubs.

IIRC there was supposed to be something about the wood that made them impossible to fake, so you couldn't just have one made and claim they had a vision.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

Nobody used the lasgun/shield thing as a weapon because it was inconsistent. It could have the strength of an atomic blast or it could just kill the person firing the gun.

Yes, that was the big reveal at the end, he didn't have one so he actually was going to do it.

IIRC there was supposed to be something about the wood that made them impossible to fake, so you couldn't just have one made and claim they had a vision.

It was that beautiful all natural wood grain hand wittled by a mutant artisan.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

IUG posted:

This wouldn't work, or else they couldn't scrub the memories for clues just out of frame. They have the have perfect, photogenic visions in order for their department to work.

Its called clairvoyance. Remote viewing. The psychics can 'see' everything, and can visualize their predictions.

John Big Booty posted:

One young jedihadi from a nowhere planet puts a photon torpedo in a tiny exhaust port flying an x-wing that he had zero experience flying?

The Death Star was an inside job.

Well, you see that Jedi pilot actually spent a lot of time flying through the canyons of his home planet frying womp rats with his civilian craft made by the same manufacturer using nearly identical flight controls.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I like the example in First Contact, where Picard mows down a ton of Borg - impervious to energy weapons - with an uzi. A holographic uzi, still. Bows and Arrows are super effective battlefield weapons in Avatar, as well.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There is no plot hole in Minority Report the way people are describing. John Anderton is framed for Leo Crow's murder, but later discovers through Agatha that people can change their fate if they're aware of it beforehand. Crow suicides with Anderton's gun, but that is an entirely separate event from the murder that would have occurred if Anderton didn't know he was being set up. This is repeated at the end when Max von Sydow's character chooses to take his own life, knowing that otherwise he'd kill Anderton.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
RE: conventional sci-fi weapons, I really like how The 5th Element has flying cars and spaceships but they still shoot normal guns. Even Zorg's super fancy gun still shoots bullets, although extremely advanced bullets.

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Except Paul is the kwisatz haderach & knows the weirding way so the only way to gently caress with House Atreides is by recruting someone from the inside and giving them hollow poison teeth.

You've kinda mixed up the chronology on that one a bit :cheeky:

Ultimately its Leto who becomes the immortal space Hitler anyways, not Paul.

Squalitude posted:

I like the example in First Contact, where Picard mows down a ton of Borg - impervious to energy weapons - with an uzi. A holographic uzi, still. Bows and Arrows are super effective battlefield weapons in Avatar, as well.

With the Borg that'd only work for so long though until they evolve to start wearing armor plating or something. Or anti-hologram fields or whatever.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 16:59 on Oct 31, 2015

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Raises the question of why they didn't have replicators on the Enterprise churning out projectile weapons.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

It was actually a tommy gun Picard used on the borg, unless I missed the version where he was in the holographic version of south central

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Pook Good Mook posted:

Raises the question of why they didn't have replicators on the Enterprise churning out projectile weapons.

Because the borg would just adapt after the first few drones are killed and youre back to square one.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

Nutsngum posted:

Because the borg would just adapt after the first few drones are killed and youre back to square one.

The Borg never seemed to adapt to melee attacks though. And guns are like hitting, just with bullets

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

There's that whole war of assassins rules they have to follow that the book talks about. If you blow up a huge chunk of the city, the other houses would gently caress up the harkonnens good.

The stone burner bomb in the second one made no sense though.

Ah Canly, forgot about that. Different from the great convention prohibiting nukes, but yeah, it's a similar idea.

I guess Herbert could have been making a point about technology - the terrorist-in-waiting Fremen in Messiah are stockpiling loads of monstrous chemical and biological weapons (maybe nukes? ) but it's not until the God Emperor shakes the galaxy out of its collective stupor that they start using laser -shield mines.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Taeke posted:

Hear hear!

Seriously, if these things are genuine irritating movie moments for you you need to reevaluate your attitude to film because believe it or not, especially in scifi, suspension of disbelief is kind of a requirement for the whole thing to work.

This really is an enjoyable thread mostly, especially when it's pointed out a film breaks its own rules, but lets not get bogged down on realistic impracticalities because really, there'd be no end in sight.

I'll post something worthwhile once I'm done travelling and not on my phone, but maybe some of you can point out the difference between suspension of disbelief ans genuine plot holes/irritating movie moments in the last film I saw: Minority Report.

There should be plenty to say about that one.

Holy poo poo this was a terrible post and you're all completely right in calling it out. I have no excuse other than blaming fatigue from traveling and fever and meds. Guess I turn into kind of a dick when I'm like that. poo poo, I actually like the irrational stuff I complained about. That's the whole purpose of this loving thread.

I honestly have no idea what I was thinking posting that and I do apologize.

As for Minority Report: it's so full of holes I don't even know where to start. Aside from Anderton's murder not being premeditated and as such shouldn't be precogged that far in advance, Burgess's plan was and the 'echos' that were discarded should've reflected that (and thus not be discarded.) They planned to make the whole system going national ignoring the fact that the precogs were limited, so they either needed to 'boost' their abilities or get more precogs I guess? Anderton is also able to get through security with his detached eyeballs while all his access should've obviously been denied.

There's probably dozens more examples but despite all its flaws it's still a very entertaining movie and I couldn't help but be amused by the constant references to him having to keep running because that's kind of Tom Cruise's thing.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Pook Good Mook posted:

I thought they started making projectile weapons specifically for this purpose - but the only place we saw one was in DS9 when a crazy person was murdering people with it.

It teleported the bullets to the target because Star Trek.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Zaphod42 posted:

RE: conventional sci-fi weapons, I really like how The 5th Element has flying cars and spaceships but they still shoot normal guns. Even Zorg's super fancy gun still shoots bullets, although extremely advanced bullets.

You've kinda mixed up the chronology on that one a bit :cheeky:

Ultimately its Leto who becomes the immortal space Hitler anyways, not Paul.

With the Borg that'd only work for so long though until they evolve to start wearing armor plating or something. Or anti-hologram fields or whatever.

i can't actually remember where i read it, it was years ago now, but some alien is getting fired at by guards with handguns and he thinks to himself about how primitive and backwards and inefficient they are, but then adds almost grudgingly that they're drat good at blowing holes in you.

short of some kind of personal energy shield becoming available, i just don't see the humble bullet getting replaced. improved, sure, but a small sharp slug travelling at high velocity is going to do a lot of damage to a person regardless

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Two Finger posted:

i can't actually remember where i read it, it was years ago now, but some alien is getting fired at by guards with handguns and he thinks to himself about how primitive and backwards and inefficient they are, but then adds almost grudgingly that they're drat good at blowing holes in you.

short of some kind of personal energy shield becoming available, i just don't see the humble bullet getting replaced. improved, sure, but a small sharp slug travelling at high velocity is going to do a lot of damage to a person regardless

If you've played 40k you know the humble bullet will be replaced by the humble chainsword for some reason.

Back on the Flash, there is probably a half dozen pieces of tech casually thrown around that make the Flash look mundane. The temp guns, the bees, whatever the gently caress that gold gun was, all the tools to remake the earth into a post scarcity paradise never to be considered outside of point and shoot.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

thespaceinvader posted:

I thought they started making projectile weapons specifically for this purpose - but the only place we saw one was in DS9 when a crazy person was murdering people with it.

It teleported the bullets to the target because Star Trek.

Having just watched DS9, it was a crazy Vulcan. He was mad about something from the Space Wars and Dax was being motivated by her murderous former host to hunt him down.

It was kind of cool. It only begs the question of if everyone has teleporter tech, how are they not beaming torpedoes into each other.

I haven't watched all the star tracks but :technobabble:

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

syscall girl posted:

I haven't watched all the star tracks but :techno:

Transporters can't go through shields, torpedos are primarily shield-busters. Phasers/Disruptors are much better at ship-killing (though both weapons are capable of both roles)
:goonsay:

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Evilreaver posted:

Transporters can't go through shields, torpedos are primarily shield-busters. Phasers/Disruptors are much better at ship-killing (though both weapons are capable of both roles)

Transporters can't go through almost anything.

You want ship killing capability, call up Star Wars.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Is there any point in asking questions about the movie The Box? I just saw it last night and I don't think I've ever seen such a incoherent and disjointed mess in my life. The movie starts off nicely with an enticing premise but it just goes completely off the rails. It feels like a literal third of the movie was randomly removed in editing or something.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aliens/angels are judging mankind by tempting them with the idea of material wealth in exchange for another's suffering. If you do push the button then they put you through the wringer hoping that you'll see the error in your decision and then they make you work for them.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Aliens/angels are judging mankind by tempting them with the idea of material wealth in exchange for another's suffering. If you do push the button then they put you through the wringer hoping that you'll see the error in your decision and then they make you work for them.

Ok, but the movie doesn't explain how any of the characters learn literally anything they know. That library scene was a mess.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Aliens/angels are judging mankind by tempting them with the idea of material wealth in exchange for another's suffering.

Wasn't this an old Twilight Zone episode?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Throwing Turtles posted:

If you've played 40k you know the humble bullet will be replaced by the humble chainsword for some reason.

Back on the Flash, there is probably a half dozen pieces of tech casually thrown around that make the Flash look mundane. The temp guns, the bees, whatever the gently caress that gold gun was, all the tools to remake the earth into a post scarcity paradise never to be considered outside of point and shoot.

They still have guns in 40k dude. Its just they fire nuclear rocket bullets. (yes seriously)

Chainswords are in addition to bolters, not replacing them.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Gorilla Salad posted:

"Button, Button" was first published in Playboy, June 1970, a short story written by Richard Matheson. The story was republished as part of a collection of Matheson's short stories.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Gorilla Salad posted:

Yes, the movie is a loose adaptation of Richard Matheson's "Button, Button" which was also adapted in to an episode of the 80s Twilight Zone.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Well I was never one to read Playboy for the articles, but I still remember that episode of the Twilight Zone 30 years later.

That and the one where the physics professors outsmarts a demon who wears a different funny t-shirt in every shot. It's weird how memory works.

EDIT: And that was surprisingly easy to find. "I of Newton" with Sherman Hemsley as the professor and Ron Glass as the demon.

Even found the t-shirt slogans:

HELL IS A SUMMER FESTIVAL
HELL IS A CITY MUCH LIKE NEWARK
OVER 2,000,000,000 SERVED
GEHENNA: MORE THAN A PLACE, A WAY OF LIFE
LET'S DO DAMNATION

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 13:41 on Nov 1, 2015

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Can they not stick a laser on a drone or something?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

ianmacdo posted:

The Borg never seemed to adapt to melee attacks though. And guns are like hitting, just with bullets

Well the real reason is faaaaaaaart..

Evilreaver posted:

If you want to be "scientific", a photon torpedo has a warhead capable of putting out thousands of megatons of power because its anti-matter yet they make pew pew explosions in space.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

They still have guns in 40k dude. Its just they fire nuclear rocket bullets. (yes seriously)

Chainswords are in addition to bolters, not replacing them.

If you're thinking of bolters, they're not nuclear. They're rocket propelled grenades tipped with depleted deuterium. Which is like depleted uranium but a) no longer a thing, as when you deplete it it stops being deuterium and b) loving hydrogen, so completely inappropriate for bullet tips.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Dr_Amazing posted:

Can they not stick a laser on a drone or something?

And risk the Butlerian Jihad knocking on their door in the middle of the night?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

If you're thinking of bolters, they're not nuclear. They're rocket propelled grenades tipped with depleted deuterium. Which is like depleted uranium but a) no longer a thing, as when you deplete it it stops being deuterium and b) loving hydrogen, so completely inappropriate for bullet tips.

I didn't say "nuclear bomb bullets", I said "nuclear rocket bullets". So yeah I'm already aware they're rocket powered, and the reason I said nuclear was because they use depleted deuterium. :downs: Like You said depleted deuterium isn't really a thing, but we do use depleted uranium for weapons and they are radioactive aka nuclear. So yeah I loving know dude. :v:

It was just a quick joke about how over the top 40k lore is and you gotta come in and 'correct' me when I'm not even wrong. Sheesh dude take it easy on the 40k lore.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

I didn't say "nuclear bomb bullets", I said "nuclear rocket bullets". So yeah I'm already aware they're rocket powered, and the reason I said nuclear was because they use depleted deuterium. :downs: Like You said depleted deuterium isn't really a thing, but we do use depleted uranium for weapons and they are radioactive aka nuclear. So yeah I loving know dude. :v:

It was just a quick joke about how over the top 40k lore is and you gotta come in and 'correct' me when I'm not even wrong. Sheesh dude take it easy on the 40k lore.

Lol you're getting bent out of shape over someone correcting you in a way that wasn't even dickish. Sheesh dude take it easy on the overly defensive posting.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Minority Report is a great short story and a great movie, even though the two are really different.

http://www.rehobothlibrary.org/images/10_Minority_Report.pdf

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Not a very good TV show though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the video game was terrible but had an amazing physics engine