Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
it is extremely easy to farm gold in this game

simply make a guild with each of your characters, set 5% tax, use an auto-inviter to invite people up to the cap. hey presto, 15 gold a day without having to do anything!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Alternatively queue up for level 50 pvp and go afk. 50 gold for doing nothing.

strondbokken
Oct 27, 2015

Was debating trying this game out, but I think I'll pass. Plus, it's only available on PC...

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

strondbokken posted:

Was debating trying this game out, but I think I'll pass. Plus, it's only available on PC...

lol if you game on a mac

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

Bah gawd he had a family!
overwatch is out
Halo 5 is out
Tree of Savior is out (in its 2nd beta)

time to pack it up, wildstar?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
From what I've seen whales are spending money like crazy in wildstar so I don't think they are gonna pack it in yet.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Out of curiosity how many of us are actually playing? I get the feeling most of us are just watching this thread for more disasters and patheticness from it.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Al Borland posted:

Out of curiosity how many of us are actually playing? I get the feeling most of us are just watching this thread for more disasters and patheticness from it.

Maybe like half a dozen people are still casually playing, most quit around level 30.

And another 2 or 3 are playing (plus 1 who doesn't play) get irrationally mad whenever anyone asks this question so just wait.

I'm sitting here watching to see which goes down first, this or STO. The latter has been in death throes for longer but is still hanging on... also mostly thanks to RPers who suck at the game but spend tons of money. Go figure.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
STO isn't gonna die, not completely that is. They can just fart out a new mission every other month and a lock box and they can Weekend at Bernie's that poo poo for years.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Al Borland posted:

I'm playing.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007
I'm playing, Aww Yiss in Exile - Warhound. I'm in my mid 30s level wise atm

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Al Borland posted:

Hard to say to be honest. I know I've seen three goons on my contacts list log in in the last several days, but most of the old guild isn't in my contact list. I joined a pub guild because I'll take active pubs over inactive goons any day.

I could do a writeup on the game on what they are doing right, and what they are still doing wrong, but honestly it feels like it would be pretty wasted on this thread which has largely devolved into street theater.

But basically I'm having fun playing, most of the frustrations that cut me off at the knees in live have been addressed, and most of my NEW frustrations are being addressed in a timely manner too. The biggest downside right now is that the servers are so jam packed full that it can be a bit laggy in the capitol.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Oct 28, 2015

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

Rhymenoserous posted:

Hard to say to be honest. I know I've seen three goons on my contacts list log in in the last several days, but most of the old guild isn't in my contact list. I joined a pub guild because I'll take active pubs over inactive goons any day.

I could do a writeup on the game on what they are doing right, and what they are still doing wrong, but honestly it feels like it would be pretty wasted on this thread which has largely devolved into street theater.

I'll read it, friend.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Morglon posted:

STO isn't gonna die, not completely that is. They can just fart out a new mission every other month and a lock box and they can Weekend at Bernie's that poo poo for years.
Pretty much. The only thing that will kill STO is Cryptic losing the license or Perfect World going tits-up in some abrupt and spectacular fashion. And obvously, nobody outside the companies involved knows when the license is up for renewal and what it requires.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
I can't imagine the pre-reboot Star Trek franchise license is a real hot commodity nowadays, though

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Al Borland posted:

I'm here for the latter and as of late I assume the game is just teetering along doing fine as it's been a bit quiet. They did their Back to the Future day and nothing exploded, and the whales are keeping their 3 remaining devs employed.

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

Rhymenoserous posted:

But basically I'm having fun playing, most of the frustrations that cut me off at the knees in live have been addressed, and most of my NEW frustrations are being addressed in a timely manner too. The biggest downside right now is that the servers are so jam packed full that it can be a bit laggy in the capitol.

I'd be interested in reading your writeup, at least.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Star Wars: The Old Republic is actually really fun now, as long as you're willing to put up with standard MMO tab-targeting combat.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Star Wars: The Old Republic is actually really fun now, as long as you're willing to put up with standard MMO tab-targeting combat.

Subscription is almost required, though, since they put a shitton of QoL stuff behind the paywall.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Cyster posted:

I'd be interested in reading your writeup, at least.

It'll have to wait till I'm not at work.

Magmarashi posted:

Subscription is almost required, though, since they put a shitton of QoL stuff behind the paywall.

And yes. It's borderline unplayable as F2P.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I leveled to 50 and now there's not a lot to do for someone who isn't in a guild and doesn't like the pvp. The interrupt system is interesting on paper but while leveling I did the dungeons and it was very rare to actually get an interrupt to go through. In fact the very first dungeon boss just sits there slowly casting an insta-kill while the announcer screams at you that you have to interrupt it. Yet I had groups wipe multiple times because nobody other than me would use theirs.

Once you hit 50, I guess it used to be that you would run the solo expeditions for gear, then do the group adventures for better gear and then you'd be ready for the dungeons. But now you can just buy the starter pvp gear with gold and you already have better gear than you can get in expeditions and adventures. But if you're not fully runed (which is loving expensive) and even if you are odds are decent you'll just get kicked from dungeon groups because you aren't in raid gear and people just want to steamroll through.

Anyway I did have fun while leveling but just not much to do now and I was really just killing time until the swtor expansion and fo4.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Join a guild. Pugging in this game is particularly bad. Particularly because of the interrupt system and how unforgiving some of the bosses can be.

We pugged two in stormtalon last night because it was early and no guildmates were on, and neither of these idiots could stay alive. It made the last boss an exercise in frustration because the last boss requires about 6k total dps to break through his soft enrage, and I could only muster about 4.5 on my own (mobile mind you) while the other two sucked the floor.

Later that afternoon we knocked out swordmaiden which is a whole other level of difficulty compared to Stormtalon.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 28, 2015

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I'm going to go ahead and take a crack at the writeup, it's 5PM and all the office workers are going home which gives me a bit of free time.

I'm going to preface the whole thing by saying I've played pretty much every Free to Play MMO out there from STO to the complete abortion that is Neverwinter Online, and just from a "Feature complete" and level of effort put into designing a game world, Wildstar is in a good position to be one of if not the best Free to Play MMO, with it's primary competition (Who is largely above them as it stands now) being The Old Republic. If people care to delve into it, the gameworld is semi unique, the lore is rich, and the graphics are stylized which draws more people than you'd think. But there are some elephants in the room. Big ones.

My experience as it stands now is that I'm having fun. I'm pretty much attuned at this point which was a major roadblock fraught with frustrations at release, most class based "Game breakers" have been repaired, though just about every class could use some tweaking (Spellslinger having a super complex rotation, yet still being at the lower end of DPS is a bit of a worry). But I feel that my experience won't be indicative of what others will feel. I've raided end game, I've been a poop socker (I'm not much of one anymore), I've raid led. These experiences allow me to get quite a bit out of the wildstar experience that other peoples will struggle with. So this is my first elephant in the room:

Difficulty. There needs to be a scale. Stamping your foot down like an angry dev god and saying "No, this content isn't for you scrub" is a mistake. If you read the official forums it's chalk full of idiots who say "Don't dumb down GA for dumbed down people" gently caress those guys. Don't listen to them. There should be at bare minimum two difficulty levels of every piece of END GAME content with appropriate rewards. I'm not saying things need to devolve to the cesspit levels of LFR in WoW, but having a normal mode that say 10 people can do is a good idea. And having a normal mode dungeon that has the same mechanics as Vet that hit for considerably less would be an absolutely great idea. Like it or not, developing raid content for less than 1% of your playerbase is dumb as poo poo and a waste of developer resource.

The next elephant in the room is simply poor documentation. Upon hitting level 50 you are inundated with "poo poo to do" and not a single bit of it is explained worth a drat. My personal favorite here is runes. I won't even go into how many runes I pissed away trying to get set bonuses before some kindly nerd explained to me what I was doing wrong. These things are loving expensive, and pissing away 2-3 plat on mistakes is downright crippling to a new level 50. Runesets need tooltips explaining what they do. Oh and returning 50's need to be shown what to do with all those gear/rune tokens. I ruined a nice set of level 90 pistols entirely through bad documentation, not knowing what the gently caress was even going on. One returning 50 I know of decided to just say gently caress it and quit over this as all his gear was turned into tokens which gave him bum stats, that he had no clue how to change.

In a segue from the topic of rune discussion we should probably also discuss itemization. By the way it's heads and tails better than what it was, there's actually reasons to run dungeons now. So that's nice. The word but here is going to be really loaded however so without further ado "BUT", gear progression is in a bad spot, especially with runing being so important. Anyone stepping into vet dungeons should be at least running ilvl 65ish gear, fully runed with at least high runes, preferably in beneficial stats. That's a gigantic hurdle to jump over if you don't plan on taking fully epic/raid geared out people and dragging fresh 50's through via sheer overpower. Adventures? Nobody runs them. Adventure gear should be bumped up to ilvl 70 to give people that extra push to get into them, and the gear dropped within should shard to a mix of high and the next level up runes. If I could spend a week in adventures and come out the end fully geared and runed for dungeons? That would be super.

World bosses: Are a loving mess. If you don't understand why they are a mess go get a carbine team together and try to grind out the drops to spawn them. Enjoy two hours of rote boredom for 5 pieces of sub raid level gear to split up among 20-50 people.

And the final elephant in the room is the soul crushing lag: Late in the reboot cycle Thayd becomes unusable during primetime. I've taken to idling in my plot. A big part of why I quit WoW the last expansion was how unengaging it was to sit in my garrison holding my dick waiting for queues to pop. I like to people watch, steal outfit ideas, compare gear dick sizes, et al. While I feel I have a pretty cool house, I don't want that to be all I see when I'm not engaged in shenanigans.

That really covers most of the bad from my point, now onto the good.

Dungeons are fun, but they always have been. Most of the frustration found in the old dungeons is there just wasn't a good reason to waste time in them unless you were gunning for attunement. Now that I have legitimate reasons to hop into one, I'm more than happy to do so.

The Free to Play system you have setup is probably one of the less painful ones I've seen. The biggest negative about it is people will level at the same speed I did when coming up the first time. Meanwhile subs can just do story quests (Ala ToR, not a bad idea Carbine). The cash shop stuff is mostly "On the ball" though I do think outfits should probably be a major priority for your graphics team for a few months. Fill that store up with shiny. Oh and make unlocks run cross account.

There's unironically a lot of paths to get to the same goal at 50. A big part of my drive every week is to knock out my elder gem rota. To do that in the past I would grind mindlessly against dailies which are remarkably unfun. Now I just complete 2-3 dungeons and I'm capped out and into money making mode. For making money? It's PVP time. I no longer feel tied to crimson badlands. And I'm grateful for it.

Overall the write up has more negatives than positives, which probably gives a false indication on "Do I think this game is worth playing" The answer is a conditional "Yes". A lot of the things I have written about in "Negatives" can be easily overcome with a friend who already knows the score helping you out. For my first week back I stayed within the largely abandoned goon guild and kind of floundered. I was pushing towards being pissed off and quitting all over again, then for shits and giggles I decided to join another guild. A few hours in ventrilo asking/and getting good answers to my questions had me pretty squared away and raid ready (For both of my specs) within a week and a half. Basically if you are a solo player, be prepared for a lot of questions to go unanswered and a lot of frustration. But if you aren't a complete shut in: Find someone to talk to, join a guild, and ask questions, it will quickly turn a frustrating game that's really dense and obtuse, into a fairly fun game with a few foibles that you can largely overcome.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Also if any goons want in a guild just let me know.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

They changed how world boss loot works. Almost everybody gets a lootbox, not sure how it works entirely. If I'm in the lfg raid I've gotten a box, when I haven't been I didn't. One time I got a lootbox and I didn't attack or anything because I was stuck in a teleport loop that eventually crashed the game. When I loaded back in, boss was dead but I still got the loot.

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

which world bosses need items again? I usually got lucky in /lfg when people wanted to do world bosses...

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Rhymenoserous posted:

It'll have to wait till I'm not at work.

And yes. It's borderline unplayable as F2P.

It is certainly possible to play all the single player stuff as a free player but that's really stretching it. It gets pretty tolerable once you throw in like 40 bucks for the worst poo poo and buy the expansions on top, especially if you're just in it for the story and don't give a poo poo about the dumb rail shooter or doing dungeons for gear the game now almost vomits at you anyway. Granted, that's still a really hard sale and if you want to do anything other than that you have to subscribe, worst of all the seriously draconian credit cap that locks you out of the economy and even some stuff that it tells you are free because you can buy them for credits but you can't hold that amount unless you're subscribed anyway.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

remember when extra action bars were locked behind a paywall?

yeah, that was a great idea

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007
what server/faction is the goon guild? i'm on Warhound Exiles.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
SWTOR F2P was vindictive with the things you had to shell out cash for.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

iNteg posted:

what server/faction is the goon guild? i'm on Warhound Exiles.

As far as I know most goon guilds are inactive.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

lmao steven universe fans

oh, uh on topic

wildstar is still bad

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Tarranon posted:

lmao steven universe fans

oh, uh on topic

wildstar is still bad

for reference, they told her to kill herself because she drew a fan favorite fat character skinny

good luck with that whole wildstar goon guild thing though

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Minorkos posted:

Honestly, I don't hate WoW for having tab targeting. It worked for the game at the time. But that was 2004. Now it's 2015, and devs should try something else. MMORPGs have stuck to the same combat system that revolves around tab targeting and rotating through the same old recycled spells from WoW. "Charge" from WoW becomes "Sith Charge" and so on. Instead of iterating and trying out new systems, tab-targeting and moving through rotations have become synonymous with "MMORPG combat" and have thus poisoned the word "MMORPG" forever

Well- the 'tab target, push buttons' combat system is lightyears ahead of EQ1 which was literally 'press 1 and wait to see what falls over first, you or npc'.

Slow progress, but still progress.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
And then they made EQ2 which basically threw all that to the side and gave you 6 billion goddamn buttons of questionable values. I'm of the firm opinion that if you need more than 3 action bars your class is bloated and lovely.

EQ was its own thing though. It was more of an...adventure? More social at least, not always for the right reasons but the lack of things to do and downtime did encourage chatting and banter. Compared to now with the WoW-likes where I don't like talking to people because talking means we're not pulling or getting whatever doohickey I need or doing the dungeon faster.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Xolve posted:

Well- the 'tab target, push buttons' combat system is lightyears ahead of EQ1 which was literally 'press 1 and wait to see what falls over first, you or npc'.

Slow progress, but still progress.

Unless you were one of the SUPREME CASTERS like the necromancer, where you just threw every dot and fear you had on the enemy ate a sandwich while it ran away at a crawl with your skeleton stabbing it in the kidneys. Diminishing returns on crowd control? What's that? :downs:

Or the bard, where you did the same thing but you switched bagpipe music to harm every enemy around you and playing the Sonic the Hedgehog theme on a ukulele to run faster.

I think only the warrior and maybe the rogue sat there and hoped auto-attack and procs killed the enemy. Everyone else had poo poo to do.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

John Dyne posted:

Unless you were one of the SUPREME CASTERS like the necromancer, where you just threw every dot and fear you had on the enemy ate a sandwich while it ran away at a crawl with your skeleton stabbing it in the kidneys. Diminishing returns on crowd control? What's that? :downs:

Or the bard, where you did the same thing but you switched bagpipe music to harm every enemy around you and playing the Sonic the Hedgehog theme on a ukulele to run faster.

I think only the warrior and maybe the rogue sat there and hoped auto-attack and procs killed the enemy. Everyone else had poo poo to do.

Rogues were the sneak pullers, the back stabbers, and the corpse grabbers. They also were top tier DPS and needed for like all raid fights. They had utility, but really we pressed like 4 buttons.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?

Honestly this reflects way more poorly on the Tumblr crowd than on Steven Universe (if you read the full story).

Wildstar related, has this been posted yet?

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Spookyelectric posted:

Honestly this reflects way more poorly on the Tumblr crowd than on Steven Universe (if you read the full story).

Wildstar related, has this been posted yet?

There goes the Christmas event budget :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
In a weird bit of news: I've gotten more interaction out of CRB dudes IN GAME than I had at release and as a beta player.

Cyster actively engages the community and chit chats about upcoming things/bug fixes/et al in the game itself which is downright unusual for any MMO and I kinda dig it.

EDIT: And judging by the number of weirdly obsessive people hunting down box copies in zone chat, my guild, wherever carbine's "Trade box copies for in game rewards" thing is going ridiculously strong. A half dozen people I've met are fervently searching for wildstar boxes in gamestops within 45 minutes of their houses and buying them all and I frankly have no clue what the gently caress is going on anymore, up is down, black is white.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 2, 2015

• Locked thread