Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
Switched on Pop can be very good. Song Exploder is along the same lines, but across all genres. They talk to the artist, so the technicality can vary wildly between chord progression analysis or 'I was high and thought this sounded cool'. The Bob's Burgers deconstruction is a cant miss if you're a fan of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Wake_N_Bake posted:

Switched on Pop can be very good. Song Exploder is along the same lines, but across all genres. They talk to the artist, so the technicality can vary wildly between chord progression analysis or 'I was high and thought this sounded cool'. The Bob's Burgers deconstruction is a cant miss if you're a fan of the show.

Just looked it up and the first episode I see is The Magnetic Fields talking about Andrew In Drag. Started downloading a few episodes immediately. Thank you!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

What's a good podcast to fall asleep to? Sometimes I like just gentle, inane talking to really knock me out.

This is what Sleep With Me is designed to do and it works pretty well for me.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Sleep With Me is great, but sometimes he's TOO funny that I stay up and am pretty much cracking up in bed. For the most part, to fall asleep I need to listen to a podcast that I really like, but have already heard.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Kart Barfunkel posted:

What's a good podcast to fall asleep to? Sometimes I like just gentle, inane talking to really knock me out.

Japanese Classical Literature at Bedtime is pretty good for sleeping even though I don't speak Japanese.

I'm also looking for audiobooks that are good to sleep to if anyone has good suggestions. Often the reader is too fast or gets too intense and loud.

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
Can anyone recommend any ghost/spooky story podcasts? I like Night Vale but I wouldn't exactly term it as "scary", and I've just started listening to Limetown but there's only two episodes so far.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Owlkill posted:

Can anyone recommend any ghost/spooky story podcasts? I like Night Vale but I wouldn't exactly term it as "scary", and I've just started listening to Limetown but there's only two episodes so far.

The Black Tapes Podcast hits the some of the same faux Serial notes as Limetown but goes in the paranormal direction instead. I haven't kept up with it because I wasn't a huge fan of the voice acting, but the writing seemed solid.

The Truth is a series of one-off audio fiction and some of the stories can get pretty spooky, usually around Halloween. I'd say maybe check out the episodes "The Death of Poe", "Silvia's Blood", "The Devil You Know", and the two parter "In Good Hands".

Lore is specifically about looking into folklore and myths and other spooky/monster stories. It's an exploration more than just a story, but it's explicitly about scary stories by a guy who writes scary stories.

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009

ChetReckless posted:

The Black Tapes Podcast hits the some of the same faux Serial notes as Limetown but goes in the paranormal direction instead. I haven't kept up with it because I wasn't a huge fan of the voice acting, but the writing seemed solid.

The Truth is a series of one-off audio fiction and some of the stories can get pretty spooky, usually around Halloween. I'd say maybe check out the episodes "The Death of Poe", "Silvia's Blood", "The Devil You Know", and the two parter "In Good Hands".

Lore is specifically about looking into folklore and myths and other spooky/monster stories. It's an exploration more than just a story, but it's explicitly about scary stories by a guy who writes scary stories.

Cheers, that sounds like exactly the kind of thing I'm after.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
The No Sleep podcast is pretty good as well for spooky stories, and they have a pretty good backlog.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

The Truth is great radio drama but not strictly horror/whatever focused. Though, some gave me chills for other reasons, and a lot hit some really poignant notes. The voice acting is loving stellar. You definitely want to wear headphones and be able to concentrate, as there's often subtle audio cues and it's incredibly well mastered. Definitely recommend: "That's Democracy", "Can You Help Me Find My Mom?", "You Are Not Alone", "The Talk". Just don't blame me if you tear up in public.

The voice acting in The Black Tapes is passable. I'm only a few episodes in, but the story and production values seem to make up for the stilted "interview" dialogue. Edit- is it me or is the narrator's accent all over the place?

Wake_N_Bake fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 1, 2015

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Owlkill posted:

The Black Tapes Podcast does have some shaky voice acting at time, but the production and story make up for it. There were a couple of episodes, I think 5 and 6, that made me worry about the show, but it has become good again. They just released episode 11 and in two weeks episode 12 will hit and that is the end of season 1. The end of this last episode had a good twist to the series.

If you do start listening to it. Listen to everything even the short episodes and teasers. Sometimes they have little tidbits that add to the story or a "listener" mail that Dr. Strand solves.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 1, 2015

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

For some reason, I missed the announcement that Wiretap has ended and only caught on when I noticed the new season hadn't started.

:(

Is there anything else like it?

I already combed through all of CBC's podcasts in the hopes I'd find something similar, but no dice. DNTO is just TAL without teeth and Vinyl Cafe is so...ugh.

I liked Wiretap for its comedy, weird interviews, stories and distinct melancholy. It was hard to classify, a mix of comedy sketches, radio drama, fiction, real interviews, fake interviews...

There was something very Canadian about it. :canada:

Owlkill posted:

I went looking for spooky podcasts a while back and. I really like Knifepoint Horror. It's very low key, with each story being told as a first person account of something spooky happening but not in the lame creepy-pasta sort of way. More atmospheric ominous sort of way.

If I had to level any complaints:

1. Only updates once a month, but it's clearly a passion project. That comes with a plus: no mailkimp-squarespace-naturebox nonsense, it literally dives right into the story, no intro or anything. I really like it.

2. One of the narrators he uses is just awful, and sounds like he's gargling marbles. Fortunately, he doesn't seem to narrate often.

3. A lot of the stories I've listened to so far (I'm working through the backlog) lack...closure? You don't always "see" the monster, as it were. Atmosphere though? Lots of that.

"Staircase", "Legend" and "Landmark" are three episodes that have stuck with me.

Also, seconding Lore and The Truth (though The Truth, like the other poster said, is a Drama. Not all the stories are scary ones).

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Oct 5, 2015

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Speaking of fiction podcasts, GE and Panoply are putting out a fixed length (8 episodes) drama about deciphering a message ostensibly from aliens. It seems like fairly grounded sci-fi for now (though talk of a curse at the end of the first episode may mix things up some).

quote:

The Message is a new podcast following the weekly reports and interviews from Nicky Tomalin, who is covering the decoding of a message from outer space received 70 years ago. Over the course of 8 episodes we get an inside ear on how a top team of cryptologists attempt to decipher, decode, and understand the alien message. Each week she’ll bring you the latest chapter, so it’s important to listen in starting with Episode 1. The Message is a co-production between Panoply and GE Podcast Theater, unlocking the secrets of healing with sound technology.

The first episode was alright. Generally I find Panoply collects good shows (Lexicon Valley, You Must Remember This, Whistlestop, Futuropolis, Amicus, Burnt Toast, etc). That said, I had to laugh when I read this: (from here)

quote:

Though The Message is a fictional podcast, the story is told through Nicky's reports and interviews, giving it a more realistic feel. As a co-production between Slate's podcast network Panoply and GE Podcast Theater, The Message also incorporates real GE technology into the narrative that will help Nicky crack the case, such as ultrasound therapy.

"I'm not selling T-shirts or other consumer products. I'm selling an idea of a brand. I'm selling the concept of GE and what we bring to the world, in terms of science and technology and being a digital industrial company and what that means," Goldberg [global creative director at GE] said. "In order to do that, you have the ability to do greater storytelling."

I don't know if it shows the growth of podcasts as a mainstream medium because big companies are trying to get in, or if it's a sign of how desperate people are to get any money out of podcasts.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
I'm a huge fan of the Bowery Boys podcast. Are there any similar projects out there? That is, podcasts focused on history, people, landmarks, and interesting stories contained within a single city?

Specifically, I'd be most interested in: Chicago, Seattle, San Francisco, Philadelphia, Washington D.C., Beijing, Paris, and London.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
I love comic books, and hearing people talk about them. Is there a comics podcast that focuses more on famous runs and significant events from the past? Most comic podcasts I've listened to seem to be about reviewing whatever's new this week/month, and peppering in some creator interviews, both of which don't particularly interest me. I'm looking for something similar to Rachel and Miles X-Plain the X-Men, where the hosts go from issue to issue in sequential order, or certain episodes of Giant Size, where the hosts pick a topic like Captain America and go into the more significant parts of his history and why they like him as a character in a general sense. What I'm really not looking for is what the hosts feel about the latest issue of whatever, as I'm not so interested on keeping up with current events so much as learning about characters. Thanks in advance!

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

This sounds awesome. Definitely going to look into it. There's been some talk of classical music podcast but I can't remember what page that was on.

Classical Classroom is pretty good based on the four or so I've listened to, the host does not know a whole lot about classical music so the podcast gimmick is that she invites a whole host of very well-informed people to commentate on specific works.

motorcyclesarejets
Apr 24, 2007

Drunk Tomato posted:

I'm a huge fan of the Bowery Boys podcast. Are there any similar projects out there? That is, podcasts focused on history, people, landmarks, and interesting stories contained within a single city?

Specifically, I'd be most interested in: Chicago, Seattle, San Francisco, Philadelphia, Washington D.C., Beijing, Paris, and London.

Biscayne Tales covers the history of Miami.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Aside from Writing Excuses, because getting the old episodes are a pain in the dick, and Mur (Lafferty?)'s podcast, are there any good podcasts on the how's and whys of creative writing?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I let the audio theater thread go to seed, but if you want a good audio drama, Audible has an adaptation of the Joe Hill/Gabriel Rodriguez graphic novel Locke & Key available free until November 4th.

It's around thirteen and a half hours long, and is a really engrossing, at times kinda sad twist on the supernatural adventure genre. Tatiana Maslany is in it too (mostly the early episodes) and a few other notables (there's even a voice cameo by the creators and Hill's dad, Stephen King.)

MachinTrucChose
Jun 25, 2009
Are there any quality educational podcasts that are short and to the point?

I tried listening to a few recommendations from the first couple of pages, and I find most podcasts seem to go on way too long. I did find some quality ones about history, but it's not a subject that interests me.

For the stuff that did interest me, I don't have 1-2 hours to spend listening to something that could've been cut to 15 minutes if the hosts didn't treat it like a conversation in a coffee shop. Like, I'm listening to Stuff You Should Know as I write this, and one co-host keeps interjecting and offering his thoughts. Your thoughts didn't contribute anything to my learning, why speak just for the sake of it? And now one of them is telling an unrelated story about his childhood. 15 minutes in and they only stayed on-topic for 1 minute, during the intro. I'm not listening to 1 hour of this.

I guess what I want is a lecture more than a podcast? I'm not looking for a couple of friends shooting the poo poo, I want efficient transfer of knowledge while I play a sports videogame for 30 mins.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

MachinTrucChose posted:

I tried listening to a few recommendations from the first couple of pages, and I find most podcasts seem to go on way too long. I did find some quality ones about history, but it's not a subject that interests me.

For the stuff that did interest me, I don't have 1-2 hours to spend listening to something that could've been cut to 15 minutes if the hosts didn't treat it like a conversation in a coffee shop. Like, I'm listening to Stuff You Should Know as I write this, and one co-host keeps interjecting and offering his thoughts. Your thoughts didn't contribute anything to my learning, why speak just for the sake of it? And now one of them is telling an unrelated story about his childhood. 15 minutes in and they only stayed on-topic for 1 minute, during the intro. I'm not listening to 1 hour of this.

I guess what I want is a lecture more than a podcast? I'm not looking for a couple of friends shooting the poo poo, I want efficient transfer of knowledge while I play a sports videogame for 30 mins.

None of these are as conversational as Stuff You Should Know (well, mostly). They are either hosts lecturing, or interviews (or both).

99% Invisible: 15-30 minutes. The podcast is ostensibly about design, which in this case means it's about everything. Go through the episode list (there are nearly 200) and I defy you not to find something you would find interesting. I've listened to all of them and found something cool in each.

On the Media: 1hr. Media analysis podcast. Well produced podcast about the media and how the media handles stories. Almost like a media ombudsman. It might be longer than you're looking for, but its well paced and well hosted. If I could force everyone in the world to listen to one podcast to make the world a better place, it might be this one.

No Such Thing as a Fish: 30-40 minutes. Put out by the QI elves (the researchers behind the British quiz show QI), each host brings in one interesting little known fact and they talk about it and the research they found on it and similar topics. Very humourous, light tone, the least like an lecture in this list.

The Inquiry: 20-30 minutes. Made by the BBC, the host takes one issue currently in the news (Is Russia Vulnerable? Do Drone Strikes Work? Is Streaming Good for Music? etc) and examines it via 3-4 interviews with experts.

The Podcast History of Our World: 20-30 minutes. Super broad history podcast (as you can imagine from the title), starting from various creation myths and working its way through ancient history. One host, so its very much like a lecture.

Lexicon Valley: ~30 minutes. Hosted by Mike Vuolo and On the Media's Bob Garfield, it's a podcast about language and words. It's technical but not stuffy.

More or Less: 10-30 minutes, depending on whether they publish the short or long version. Another BBC podcast, looking at one or more statistics mentioned in the news and examining its accuracy. It's usually about UK stats, but the critical skills they apply are good to know for everything. Another one of those 'everyone would be demonstrably smarter if they listened to this podcast' things.

You Must Remember This: 30-45 minutes. Podcast about the history of Hollywood. If anything, check out the ridiculously good recent 12 part series on Charles Manson.

Double Blind Science: 20-40 minutes. Two dudes each bring a science story of the week and look at it beyond the headline. It probably helps if you have a certain amount of 'practice of science' knowledge, but they usually explain things pretty well.

Life of the Law: 15-30 minutes. Looks at the way law is applied in the real world.

Reveal: 15-25 minutes. Investigative journalism, the podcast.

The Allusionist: Around 15 minutes. Another word podcast, well hosted and efficiently paced. A nice short hit of information.

SPYCAST: ~30 minutes. If you like spy/intelligence poo poo, this is for you. Hosted by an ex-CIA dude in the International Spy Museum, features interviews with people who were directly involved with actual historical incidents as well as more informational bits.

What's The Point: 30-40 minutes. Podcast about data collection and anaylsis, applied to real world situations (i.e. browser analytics, pre-crime, science retractions, data driven workplaces, etc.).

Reply All: 20-35 minutes. A show about the internet. More storytelling than straight efficient transfer of knowledge.

Planet Money: 15-30 minutes. Podcast about money and business, which means it actually gets into a very wide variety of subjects. Some people have found the values of some of the hosts annoying, but in the last year or so of listening I haven't seen it.

Meanwhile in the Future: 15-20 minutes. By Gizmodo. Takes a hypothetical future scenario ranging from the kinda silly (What if Earth had a second moon? What if the internet stopped working?) to the more realistic (What if antibiotics stopped working? What happens when facial recognition becomes dramatically improved?) and talks to an expert on the subject. The podcast starts with a quick (3 minute) fictional slice of that life that I usually skip.

If you tell me what kind of stuff you're interested in, I could probably tell you more. It's possible I listen to too many podcasts.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
What's a good podcast that's both informative and actually funny or entertaining.
Have 100 exams to grade and I'm sick of watching lps and knowing too much about video games, but usually it helps if it feels like I'm learning something about something.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Acne Rain posted:

What's a good podcast that's both informative and actually funny or entertaining.
Have 100 exams to grade and I'm sick of watching lps and knowing too much about video games, but usually it helps if it feels like I'm learning something about something.

The Dollop, No Such Thing As A Fish

Edit: For casual information and more comedy based, The Smartest Man In The World

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 1, 2015

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
If anybody is not listening to Limetown get on it immediately. Incredible dramatic tension occuring.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

HIJK posted:

If anybody is not listening to Limetown get on it immediately. Incredible dramatic tension occuring.

Yeah I think it's the best of these kinds of podcasts.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

MachinTrucChose posted:

Classical Classroom if you're interested in learning about classical music from a layperson's perspective.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Monopthalmus posted:

Yeah I think it's the best of these kinds of podcasts.

It is interesting so far and fantastic production. As long as they don't go on a month long sabbatical again.

Has anyone else tried the Message or Tanis yet? Both are pretty good.

Tanis is from Minnow beats Whale (black tapes people) started off with a rocky episode one, but has gotten better. I'm interested to see what else they have planned. Most of their programs and ideas seem fun.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

It is interesting so far and fantastic production. As long as they don't go on a month long sabbatical again.

Tanis is from Minnow beats Whale (black tapes people) started off with a rocky episode one, but has gotten better. I'm interested to see what else they have planned. Most of their programs and ideas seem fun.

Tanis is a little unfocused and I'm still fuzzy on why it matters to Nic Silver so much. Using a real tragedy in their last episode as an example of demonic consequences was also in bad taste imo.

I'm sticking with it and I hope Richard Strand shows up and dismantles someone. I also hope it improves.

It's not bad, it's just unfocused compared to The Black Tapes which had an episodic style to lean on.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

I've been enjoying the Message. I'm impressed with how much story they've been able to tell in a handful of very short episodes. I was skeptical going in due to the heavy GE involvement, but I haven't noticed it in the content, really.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Franchescanado posted:

The Dollop, No Such Thing As A Fish

Edit: For casual information and more comedy based, The Smartest Man In The World

I was attracted to the Dollop because of the length, lately they've all been an hour plus (but it's good so I have kept listening).

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

HIJK posted:

Tanis is a little unfocused and I'm still fuzzy on why it matters to Nic Silver so much. Using a real tragedy in their last episode as an example of demonic consequences was also in bad taste imo.

I'm sticking with it and I hope Richard Strand shows up and dismantles someone. I also hope it improves.

It's not bad, it's just unfocused compared to The Black Tapes which had an episodic style to lean on.

I agree with your first point, but the second I disagree with. I wish they had not thrown this into the black tapes universe.

I do agree it seems a bit unfocused but Nic seems a little obsessed and wasn't there some talk in an episode that Tanis grabs ahold of people?

I'm Also wondering where they are going with the turning people into serial killers thing.

ChetReckless posted:

I've been enjoying the Message. I'm impressed with how much story they've been able to tell in a handful of very short episodes. I was skeptical going in due to the heavy GE involvement, but I haven't noticed it in the content, really.

I just realized GE sold off NBC not long ago didn't it?

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

The thing that bothers me most about the Message is how nobody has any ethical concerns about a private company hacking government computers on the flimsiest pretext.

Vinny Possum
Sep 21, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Are there any good historical podcasts about the middle east or the greater Islamic world as a whole? The only one I could find was one on the ottomans.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Are there any good podcasts with authors talking about writing, the creative process, their careers, and the books they like? Something with a mix of Big Names and lesser-known authors, hopefully not stuck in a single genre.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I've been really enjoying "The Purple Stuff Podcast." It's a comedy podcast hosted by Matt from DinosaurDracula.com, and Jay from SexyArmpit.com. It started as a Halloween countdown show, but they decided to keep it going. They focus mostly on nostalgia humor, and so far it's been a delight.

I've been a huge fan of Matt for Dinosaur Dracula, and before that, X-E Entertainment, and his sense of humor translates well to the podcast format.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I had to laugh at the host in Tanis getting the "for a podcast... it's basically radio" running gag from The Black Tapes thrown back in his face.

That said, I'm three episodes in and still have no real clue what's really going on. Does this pick up he pace, or should I give up?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Wake_N_Bake posted:

I had to laugh at the host in Tanis getting the "for a podcast... it's basically radio" running gag from The Black Tapes thrown back in his face.

That said, I'm three episodes in and still have no real clue what's really going on. Does this pick up he pace, or should I give up?

So far it hasn't picked up, the host is still clueless and relying on people to do his work for him and nothing about the eponymous Tanis has been figured put after the TARDIS cabin in Russia. They're focusing on the conspiracy around Tanis for now.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Wake_N_Bake posted:

Yeah who the gently caress knows where this is headed, but it is spinning those wheels.
I wonder if the wrote themselves into a corner.

It is still jarring to when they have regan popping in. That was a mistake

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
THE F PLUS IS BLOOD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Mojo Threepwood posted:

I've been really enjoying "The Purple Stuff Podcast." It's a comedy podcast hosted by Matt from DinosaurDracula.com, and Jay from SexyArmpit.com. It started as a Halloween countdown show, but they decided to keep it going. They focus mostly on nostalgia humor, and so far it's been a delight.

I've been a huge fan of Matt for Dinosaur Dracula, and before that, X-E Entertainment, and his sense of humor translates well to the podcast format.

Yeah I've been reading Matt's stuff since probably 2003-2004 and the Purple Stuff is a delight. It's cheap, and they have audio issues, but it's charming. Plus their enthusiasm is ALWAYS infectious, and they're both really Jersey and it's really funny.

Also they introduced me to the theme song from "Killer Klowns from Outer Space" which I annoyed everybody I loved by singing non-stop during the last week of October.