Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The Lone Badger posted:

Edit: A more complete suit of armour is 30kg at 1.5mm
that curiassier plate is cool as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This is an ad from March 15, 1862 in Harper's Weekly:

quote:

The Soldier's Bullet Proof Vest has been repeatedly and thoroughly tested with Pistol Bullets at 10 paces, Rifle Bullets at 40 rods, by many Army Officers, and is approved and worn by them.

It is simple, light, and is a true economy of life -- it will save thousands. It will also double the value and power of the soldier; and every man in an army is entitled to its protection. Nos. 1, 2, and 3 express the sizes of men, and No. 2 fits nearly all.

Price for Private's Vest , $5. Officers' Vest, $7. They will be sent to any address, wholesale or retail.

Sold by MESSRS. ELLIOT, No. 231 Broadway, New York, and by all Military Stores. Agents wanted.

And this is a broadside advertising them after the Union occupation of coastal North Carolina:

quote:

We beg leave to say to the officers and soldiers of the Expedition, that after some delay we have received another invoice of those Monitor, or Bullet Proof Vests, which we are selling at our stand, opposite the Post Office, and as it is impossible for us to visit all the various Camps, please call and examine, or order, with measure of breast and waist, which will insure a good fit. We shall be here only a week or two longer, therefore it is for the interest of all who may wish to purchase to call immediately.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Nenonen posted:

Speaking of personal armour designed to defeat rifle bullets supposedly at 10 paces

Ned Kelly''s gang wore armour that weighed 44 kg. Yet critically it left limbs vulnerable which allowed Kelly to be captured - you can't always just be taking fire behind a waist height obstacle except in first person shooters.

Oddly enough, I believe that's exactly what they had been planning to do, but escaped hostages blew the lid on their original plan.

(BTW - how does a Finn come across something that seems (as an Australian) something of little interest to non-Australians?)

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
This is probably best directed at EE, but was there ever any discussion or explanation for why WW2 and early cold war Soviet armor design seemed to so disregard gun depression? Was it just not considered a useful feature? Did they ever address this point at all that you've seen?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Elissimpark posted:

Oddly enough, I believe that's exactly what they had been planning to do, but escaped hostages blew the lid on their original plan.

(BTW - how does a Finn come across something that seems (as an Australian) something of little interest to non-Australians?)

Not a Finn, but here's a hint: It's an armored tincat suit that can block bullets, was actually used in a firefight, and actually worked. It's the kind of poo poo you can't avoid running into eventually on the internet.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

my dad posted:

Not a Finn, but here's a hint: It's an armored tincat suit that can block bullets, was actually used in a firefight, and actually worked. It's the kind of poo poo you can't avoid running into eventually on the internet.

Good point. The cultural stuff that goes with Ned Kelly and the iconic status of the armour (I've probably seen 2 or 3 "Such is life" car stickers in 10 minutes of driving today) kinda hides the fact that some dudes in homemade armour getting into a shoot out with the cops is a pretty cool story!

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 54 minutes!

Elissimpark posted:

There isn't any finnish history

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

My T-64 effort post is currently at 3102 words, and I haven't even gotten to the T-64B yet :negative:

And here I am considering doing big effort posts for the T-72 and T-80 too :suicide:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Baracula posted:

They can borrow Swedish and Russian history if they want.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Baracula posted:

Seriously, though, what is Finnish history about? Some time before the written word, the Finns drive out the local Sami population (or their forebears/whatever) and figure out how to make Vodka, and then in the late 1990s you have Nokia cell phones?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Winter war and continuation war. They had a civil war as well I think?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Seriously, though, what is Finnish history about?

Something Something SAMPO! Something Something Simo Hayha

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Is the sauna before or after vodka?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Xerxes17 posted:

My T-64 effort post is currently at 3102 words, and I haven't even gotten to the T-64B yet :negative:

And here I am considering doing big effort posts for the T-72 and T-80 too :suicide:

I could kiss you. French you if you did a post on T-55.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Elissimpark posted:

Is the sauna before or after vodka?

Contemporaneous. Finnish vodka is drippings from the interior of a sauna.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

JcDent posted:

I could kiss you. French you if you did a post on T-55.

T-55 and T-62 will be after the these three.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Xerxes17 posted:

Hurry up!!!

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

Contemporaneous. Finnish vodka is drippings from the interior of a sauna.

:finland:

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Xerxes17 posted:

I've been sitting for two weeks on half a post in the Polish-Soviet war series and I still don't know if it will actually end up being half a post or maybe (like most of my writing) the whole thing will balloon so much it ends up being a quarter at best. I feel for you, man.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

A lot of Scandinavian food is horrifying - lutefisk, that fermented shark thing, etc. Maybe vikings were motivated by a desire to escape their sci-fi badguy cuisine. I haven't heard much about Finns raiding europe; is your food better or at least less scary?

In like Zinn
Jan 3, 2010

You'll notice from the bodies where the squaddies have been.

A lot of Scandinavian food is horrifying - lutefisk, that fermented shark thing, etc. Maybe vikings were motivated by a desire to escape their sci-fi badguy cuisine. I haven't heard much about Finns raiding europe; is your food better or at least less scary?
Blood pancake is a favourite in school dinners, tar is a flavourant, salt of ammoniac is considered a candy. There's a reason even the vikings thought the finns to be weird and scary forest-wizards.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Elissimpark posted:

As mentioned, it is a curiosity big enough that people know about it, there's even a movie about Kelly which is more than you can say about Simo Häyhä (but one is supposed to be screened in 2017). Also, I've been to Australia and have read a bit of its history, Ned Kelly is a super star compared to some of the other stuff I know. Like the poisoning of Phar Lap. gently caress, I even have a John Quick shirt, and I'm not even fully sure why John Quick was important!

As for Finnish history, it's mostly about being a battlefield for Swedes and Russians, until when in 1809 Swedes said 'eh, gently caress this' and took over Norway as a consolation. After that mostly peaceful development of national identity as an autonomous grandduchy only disturbed by the Crimean war (which we here correctly call the Åland war), then WW1 and revolution in Russia resulted in independence and civil war. Other than that, constant famines and occasional peasant uprisings.

And on Finnish cuisine, see 'constant famines'. People would bake bread out of pine bark flour to fill their stomachs in the long cold winters. We don't really have the most nuanced tastes.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
all i know about you is that during the 30yw the swedes victimized you and you were one of the Light Cav Ethnicities (since nobody in Western Europe believed you could actually train anyone to be a good light cav trooper, they just recruited/forced certain ethnic groups to do it)

also i lost my wallet in finland once god drat you

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Nenonen posted:

As mentioned, it is a curiosity big enough that people know about it, there's even a movie about Kelly which is more than you can say about Simo Häyhä (but one is supposed to be screened in 2017). Also, I've been to Australia and have read a bit of its history, Ned Kelly is a super star compared to some of the other stuff I know. Like the poisoning of Phar Lap. gently caress, I even have a John Quick shirt, and I'm not even fully sure why John Quick was important!

gently caress, I hadn't heard of John Quick until now (turns out he was a major advocate for federation?) so thanks for that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYGdLcFJm6k

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

my dad posted:

It's an armored tincat suit
?????

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

I think it's a typo for tin can.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

I want an armored cat.

Nenonen posted:

Yeah, it's not like Ned Kelly is that obscure, compared to Australia in general. Hell, the armor thing cropped up in In Her Magisty's Name LP (and the game itself).

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

In like Zinn posted:

Blood pancake is a favourite in school dinners, tar is a flavourant, salt of ammoniac is considered a candy. There's a reason even the vikings thought the finns to be weird and scary forest-wizards.

Seriously, was "escape from Finland" a motivation for Finnish mercenaries? Seems like it would be, given the whole pine dust as flour thing.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Seriously, was "escape from Finland" a motivation for Finnish mercenaries? Seems like it would be, given the whole pine dust as flour thing.

The greatest treasure brought back from 30-YW was potato.

And when Finnish Guard Battalion returned from the 1877-78 Russo-Turkish war, they brought another potato.

I'm not making this up.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Nenonen posted:

The greatest treasure brought back from 30-YW was potato.

And when Finnish Guard Battalion returned from the 1877-78 Russo-Turkish war, they brought another potato.

I'm not making this up.

I know this isnt what you mean but i envision a literal single physical potato. Baked.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Mazz posted:

This is probably best directed at EE, but was there ever any discussion or explanation for why WW2 and early cold war Soviet armor design seemed to so disregard gun depression? Was it just not considered a useful feature? Did they ever address this point at all that you've seen?

My guess, you dont need it on the offensive and its tricky to do while keeping your profile low?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

feedmegin posted:

My guess, you dont need it on the offensive
i thought you were still talking about the potato until halfway through this sentence

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013
How would the Finnish mercenaries get horses? I can't imagine them being rich enough to afford the sort of horse you'd need to be good light cavalry.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

There is some kind of neat crop yield/storage analysis modeling that can get you to approximate populations and you can use some decent scale factors for army sizes based on approximate populations.

I always get the feeling that people back in the day just used really big numbers (like a thousand, or ten thousand) to mean "a lot of dudes were there" much like the way we use millions and billions today.

Another useful thing is to find the battlefields and dig them up. Based on how much rusted metal parts you find, you're able to determine the approximate size of the combating forces. (Everything not metal or made from pottery is less useful for this, since it's quite often rotten away by the point someone digs up the battlefield. Metal and pottery are always useful, thanks to how long that stuff keeps.)

the JJ posted:

Yup. Execute 7 generals for winning a battle. Great job!

The some people see the Athens/Sparta war as a war between the dysfunctional extremes of democracy and fascism, and while I think that it's a dangerously limiting narrative to get stuck in, it really is an attractive one at times.

Attractive and totally wrong. What Athens had was a precursor to what we understand democracy to be today. You can't call something "extreme" democracy if it isn't even really democratic. The process Athens used excluded huge parts of the population, for example. Describing the weird slave-owning dual-monarchy of Sparta as "fascism" is likewise problematic. But I don't know that much about fascism in any detail, so I could be wrong there!

Molentik posted:

A new Hardcore History was just uploaded! This time about the Persians & Assyrians and poo poo.

I love hearing about Assyrians! They're just so cartoonishly evil. :allears:

Also WWI was finished with episode 6. If you don't have that one yet, I suggest downloading it before it starts to cost money.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Nenonen posted:

JcDent posted:

Yeah, it's not like Ned Kelly is that obscure, compared to Australia in general. Hell, the armor thing cropped up in In Her Magisty's Name LP (and the game itself).
Mark me down as Exhibit A for Australian cultural cringe. Australian history is interesting, but not exactly EPIC. Its just pleasantly surprising to hear it referenced by a non-Australian.

(Also, mentioning Donald Bradman could have completed the triad of Australian cultural touchstones.)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Mazz posted:

I've seen it claimed several times (in western media) that Soviet tank design stressed utility in the offensive, since post-war Soviet strategy was an immediate massive attack whenever faced with invasion. Depression of the main gun requires the trunnion to be higher in the turret, making the turret larger and heavier, and increasing the silhouette of the tank. The Soviets chose not to do this, because they didn't plan to be making a fighting retreat from prepared positions, like NATO. They planned to be driving forward until the threat was neutralized.

Warning: Very anecdotal.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hazzard posted:

How would the Finnish mercenaries get horses? I can't imagine them being rich enough to afford the sort of horse you'd need to be good light cavalry.

light cav horses are small, cheap, and hardy, the expensive ones are for important people (wallenstein owned thousands of them and kept a very good stud on his estates) or the really heavy cav.

the swedes had a chronic problem of not being able to field the really good cav, which meant the fully armored pistol dudes on certain distinctive breeds of horse. (you know how 17th century paintings show everyone on fat horses and then the horses get suddenly thinner around the 18th century? that's not just an art fad, it's breeders wanting different things out of a horse. the fat horses are realistic)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

the JJ posted:

Yup. Execute 7 generals for winning a battle. Great job!

The some people see the Athens/Sparta war as a war between the dysfunctional extremes of democracy and fascism, and while I think that it's a dangerously limiting narrative to get stuck in, it really is an attractive one at times.

Warfare can be argued as a system that is really hurt by an excess of democracy between Athens voting for demagogues to lead armies and executing unpopular but efficient generals and Republican Rome dropping the Fabian strategy and voting for Minucius leadership which led to the massacre that was Cannae.

Of course a single incompetent leader trying to do all by himself and refusing help is equally catastrophic.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

MrYenko posted:

I've seen it claimed several times (in western media) that Soviet tank design stressed utility in the offensive, since post-war Soviet strategy was an immediate massive attack whenever faced with invasion. Depression of the main gun requires the trunnion to be higher in the turret, making the turret larger and heavier, and increasing the silhouette of the tank. The Soviets chose not to do this, because they didn't plan to be making a fighting retreat from prepared positions, like NATO. They planned to be driving forward until the threat was neutralized.

Warning: Very anecdotal.

Another thing was that from I think the T-72 onwards they had a small bulldozer blade attached as standard. This could be used to dig a makeshift firing position in half an hour for the tank. So if they were to be doing that fighting retreat over hilltops, they could if they had a little time to prepare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

If I remember right, a good bit of why the soviets worked hard to minimize height is finding that the higher a part of a tank was over the ground the more likely it was to be hit. So shaving height is a good way to reduce the chance of getting hit, and not getting hit in a place is better than any armor.

• Locked thread