Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingPave
Jul 18, 2007
eeee!~

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

Report finds that airliner was Ukrainian, not Russian

Honestly I'm expecting him to announce that, somehow, its the fault of the US (well, Western countries) as they're trying to oppress the Russians yet again.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Godholio posted:

What? No.

CSAR helicopters weren't that big a thing between 1864 and 1949 when the GCs were signed.

Thankfully they didn't specify the exact conveyance.

quote:

Geneva Convention (1864)
Article 2 of the 1864 Geneva Convention provides:
Hospital and ambulance personnel, including the quarter-master’s staff, the medical, administrative and transport services … shall have the benefit of the same neutrality [as military hospitals and ambulances] when on duty, and while there remain any wounded to be brought in or assisted.

https://www.icrc.org/customary-ihl/eng/docs/v2_rul_rule25_sectiona

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

What is going on here? Looks like a fun flight...

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Lilbeefer posted:

Holding/Approach pattern for London-Gatwick and Heathrow. It's buried in this thread, but someone did post the control patterns, and they are ridiculously huge and spread out.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

drunkill posted:

One of our Wedgetails got some noseart:
http://australianaviation.com.au/2015/10/deployed-raaf-wedgetail-gains-ww2-style-nose-art/

And a photo I took of one last year

RAAF E-7A Wedgetail by drunkill04, on Flickr

In my sleep deprived state i had to read that about 3 times before I realized that said E-7A and not EA-7. "weren't those retired like 20 years ago- ooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Cool design! It's nice that your superiors aren't NO-FUN-ALLOWED wet blankets like the USAF supposedly is.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Fredrick posted:

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be That Guy, but didn't they build close to ten thousand F-86 Sabres, making that the most-produced western fighter?

yeah you're right. F-4 is the most produced supersonic western fighter

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Lilbeefer posted:

I just thought it was funny that ATC was trying to draw a pair of scissors......

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Linedance posted:

I just thought it was funny that ATC was trying to draw a pair of scissors......
That "pair of scissors" looks suspiciously like a dong.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Enourmo posted:

In my sleep deprived state i had to read that about 3 times before I realized that said E-7A and not EA-7. "weren't those retired like 20 years ago- ooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Cool design! It's nice that your superiors aren't NO-FUN-ALLOWED wet blankets like the USAF supposedly is.

Seriously. Big goofy noseart should be mandatory on all USAF planes (preferably including semi-nude women). Its part of our heritage.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

monkeytennis posted:

PPRUNE going off the deep end as per usual.

Don't read PPRuNe dude, it'll make your brain melt.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Lilbeefer posted:

Pilot can only turn right

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Fredrick posted:

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be That Guy, but didn't they build close to ten thousand F-86 Sabres, making that the most-produced western fighter?

Yep.

Ola posted:

Thankfully they didn't specify the exact conveyance.

https://www.icrc.org/customary-ihl/eng/docs/v2_rul_rule25_sectiona

That's great, but helicopters are generally not going to receive that protection.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Sabers own. Have an Aussie built Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation Saber (112 built)

quote:

In 1951, CAC obtained a licence agreement to build the F-86. It was decided to power the aircraft using a licence-built version of the Rolls-Royce Avon R.A.7. This involved a re-design of the fuselage as the Avon was shorter, wider and lighter than the General Electric J47 that powered the North American-built aircraft. Because of the engine change the type is often referred to as the Avon Sabre. To accommodate the Avon, over 60% of the fuselage was redesigned along with a 25% increase in the size of the air intake. Another major revision was in replacing the F-86F's six machine guns with two 30mm ADEN cannon,[1] while other changes were also made to the cockpit and to provide an increased fuel capacity

CAC Saber by drunkill04, on Flickr

CAC Saber by drunkill04, on Flickr

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Godholio posted:

Yep.

That's great, but helicopters are generally not going to receive that protection.

Maybe not in WW3, but they would in limited incidents and certainly in this case. I think they radioed to the Libyans where they could find their pilots, but the assholes left them to drown.

Fun fact: the reason he couldn't get "a loving tone" was because the volume button for the Sidewinder seeker was turned down.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Ola posted:

Maybe not in WW3, but they would in limited incidents and certainly in this case. I think they radioed to the Libyans where they could find their pilots, but the assholes left them to drown.

Fun fact: the reason he couldn't get "a loving tone" was because the volume button for the Sidewinder seeker was turned down.

why.. why on earth does a seeker head need a volume control..? Presumably your engine's going to be running when you arm a sidewinder and that noise is going to be fairly constant in volume so your seeker tone shouldn't have to be turned down or up??

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Ola posted:

In a case like this, sure, the US is going to allow that to happen. But that's not a Geneva Convention requirement. Also, it's doubtful the Libyans had alert crews sitting in their helicopters ready to roll. It would've been a couple of hours before anything arrive on-scene, at best. This happened 100+ miles offshore. I'm not really surprised that a FSU doctrine-following nation would just write them off in that situation.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

why.. why on earth does a seeker head need a volume control..? Presumably your engine's going to be running when you arm a sidewinder and that noise is going to be fairly constant in volume so your seeker tone shouldn't have to be turned down or up??

:shrug: Different headsets have different outputs, pilots have different preferences, hardware varies...RWR and other noisemakers have volume knobs too, but perhaps it's a thing of the past.

Godholio posted:

In a case like this, sure, the US is going to allow that to happen. But that's not a Geneva Convention requirement.

It is very much so a Geneva convention requirement, medical aircraft are mentioned at length.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

iyaayas01 posted:

Morale? We'll need to kill that right away

Jokes on them: I played Kerbal Space Program my whole last deployment.

I also got the entire engine shop addicted to it.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
The internet says a320s have a 16:1 glide ratio. A321s would presumably have a worse glide ratio. Let's be generous and say it's 14:1. In that case the flight should have been able to make it around 70 nautical miles with no headwinds at 31,000 feet. That ought to have been plenty to get to either El Arish or Eilat. I guess there was a more severe mechanical issue than just a double engine failure?

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Because when the seeker malfunctions and stop giving you a tone, you want to be able to shut it off so you can concentrate and land the plane safely.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Mortabis posted:

The internet says a320s have a 16:1 glide ratio. A321s would presumably have a worse glide ratio. Let's be generous and say it's 14:1. In that case the flight should have been able to make it around 70 nautical miles with no headwinds at 31,000 feet. That ought to have been plenty to get to either El Arish or Eilat. I guess there was a more severe mechanical issue than just a double engine failure?

The knee jerk speculation that I saw on the news this morning was that they might have had pitch control problems. Radar plots had it going from FL310 at 400kts to FL270 at 90kts within about 20 seconds (I think that was from a flight tracking website, so huge grain of salt). The lack of any kind of distress call point towards something sudden.

brains
May 12, 2004

Ola posted:

:shrug: Different headsets have different outputs, pilots have different preferences, hardware varies...RWR and other noisemakers have volume knobs too, but perhaps it's a thing of the past.

It is very much so a Geneva convention requirement, medical aircraft are mentioned at length.

CSAR aren't considered medical aircraft under Geneva :ssh:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

brains posted:

CSAR aren't considered medical aircraft under Geneva :ssh:

True. SAR is though. Any more nits?

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Ola posted:

yeah but even then allowing the pilot to turn it down so the can't hear it at all doesn't seem like good design. And lmao doubly so for the RWR too (*sa-21 surprises pilot by flying up his tailpipe*)

standard.deviant posted:

Because when the seeker malfunctions and stop giving you a tone, you want to be able to shut it off so you can concentrate and land the plane safely.

alright admittedly I've never had to fly a fighter jet in my life and this make sense, except couldn't you just disarm the missile in that situation? would the seeker continuing transmitting a tone with the arm switch off?

I'm just imaging a bunch of volume knobs for the seeker, RWR etc just waiting for a errant swipe of the hand or knee to knock it into the off detent and its hilarious. please correct me if this is not how it works at all

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Ola posted:

Not trying to troll but can you link to where Geneva talks about SAR? I recall the rules about not killing ejected pilots nor shooting pilots on the ground before they have an opportunity to surrender, but don't recall anything about SAR.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ola posted:

....SAR like Coast Guard SAR? Sure, but SAR like Combat Rescue? Nope, they are combat equipped and are fair game.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Plinkey posted:

Have you seen the competition?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

....SAR like Coast Guard SAR? Sure, but SAR like Combat Rescue? Nope, they are combat equipped and are fair game.

It's funny how every single Marine CASEVAC chopper is fair game according to international law.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

mlmp08 posted:

Not trying to troll but can you link to where Geneva talks about SAR? I recall the rules about not killing ejected pilots nor shooting pilots on the ground before they have an opportunity to surrender, but don't recall anything about SAR.

Not directly related, but if you ever watch allied gun-cam rolls from late WWII, there's a whoooole lotta shooting German planes as they try to ditch, landing gear down and everything. Usually they'll come around again and strafe the crew while they try and get away from the wreck. I mean I appreciate the circumstance and everything, but it's still kinda lovely to see stuff like that as it happened.

Which also reminds me of that interview with the pilot who shot up a Nazi in a parachute because he saw the same guy doing it to bailed B-17 crews.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

mlmp08 posted:

CommieGIR posted:

https://www.icrc.org/applic/ihl/ihl.nsf/7c4d08d9b287a42141256739003e636b/f6c8b9fee14a77fdc125641e0052b079

Ctrl-f for medical aircraft.

As long as they are not doing any C, they are just SAR.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Generation Internet posted:

Not directly related, but if you ever watch allied gun-cam rolls from late WWII, there's a whoooole lotta shooting German planes as they try to ditch, landing gear down and everything. Usually they'll come around again and strafe the crew while they try and get away from the wreck. I mean I appreciate the circumstance and everything, but it's still kinda lovely to see stuff like that as it happened.

Which also reminds me of that interview with the pilot who shot up a Nazi in a parachute because he saw the same guy doing it to bailed B-17 crews.

Yeah, it's not exactly a secret that all sides took part in war cimes during WWII. Some more than others :godwin:

I meant modern Law of War

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
lol if you think CSAR stops being CSAR the second they stop shooting. I mean holy poo poo.

The link even confirms what I already was sure I knew. If a CSAR/CASEVAC aircraft even carries more than basic small arms for self-protection or taken from the wounded/dead, it's not a medical aircraft.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
https://youtu.be/J_8mdH20qTQ

Please remember to check your planes for cats now that the weather is getting colder

brains
May 12, 2004

Ola posted:

https://www.icrc.org/applic/ihl/ihl.nsf/7c4d08d9b287a42141256739003e636b/f6c8b9fee14a77fdc125641e0052b079

this isn't just a nitpick, it's a major distinction in international law. i think you're confusing medical evacuation with "rescue," when they are two distinct types of missions.

in terms of Geneva classification of forces, "medical aircraft" means dedicated air ambulance with medical aidmen on board, flying for the express purpose of evacuating casualties. this is not the same as flying out and picking up a downed pilot.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ola posted:

SAR for combat personnel is not a simple SAR. You are not showing up in a combat zone claiming you are doing SAR under a flag of truce. They will shoot you down.

mlmp08 posted:

lol if you think CSAR stops being CSAR the second they stop shooting. I mean holy poo poo.

The link even confirms what I already was sure I knew. If a CSAR/CASEVAC aircraft even carries more than basic small arms for self-protection or taken from the wounded/dead, it's not a medical aircraft.

Which is pretty much any SAR in a Combat Zone. Its too much of a grey area to try to protect SAR operations as 'Medical Only'. Only actual Medical Evac missions are covered under the Geneva Conventions.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 31, 2015

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

mlmp08 posted:

So if you're fighting an enemy who has signed the Geneva convention, as was the case with Libya, you'll do well to send unarmed rescuers and the US (the signer) will not shoot at you. If the enemy hasn't signed the Geneva convention, or isn't even a nation, as has mostly been the case since WW2, CSAR is the order of the day.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ola posted:

So if you're fighting an enemy who has signed the Geneva convention, as was the case with Libya, you'll do well to send unarmed rescuers and the US (the signer) will not shoot at you. If the enemy hasn't signed the Geneva convention, or isn't even a nation, as has mostly been the case since WW2, CSAR is the order of the day.

I've lost track of what even the argument (?) is about.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Oh my god who caaaaaaaaaaaaaares take this poo poo to gip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

rscott posted:

Oh my god who caaaaaaaaaaaaaares take this poo poo to gip

look at this guy in the Aeronautical thread mad about minutiae.