Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tgidieday
May 7, 2007
You can't kill me, I quit!

Kerplunk posted:

tank and healer

Whatever you do, level up as some kind of dps. Questing doesn't require a tank or healer (or a build or gear), and you'll have a lot more fun being able to destroy monsters than having to wait them out. You can always swap gear and skills when the time comes for group content.

Also, the only real nightblades are altmer magicka nightblades, hth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

tgidieday posted:

Whatever you do, level up as some kind of dps. Questing doesn't require a tank or healer (or a build or gear), and you'll have a lot more fun being able to destroy monsters than having to wait them out. You can always swap gear and skills when the time comes for group content.

Also, the only real nightblades are Dunmer magicka nightblades, hth.

FTFY

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
That's a funny way to spell dunmer magicka dragonknight.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Aka the best class.

13k DPS on Hive Lord at VR2. Of course that DPS was useless for Engine Guardian because I'm a shiny vampire with 12k health that will literally melt the moment I get close to it.

(Yeah I did the vet DC pledge last night because someone needed a DPs at the last minute)

Kerplunk
Oct 24, 2003
FECES!!!
I appreciate the advice, fellas. To be honest I WOULD have more fun with dps but I wanted to attempt to contribute. Not really needed, I suppose.

I do like being able to easily solo stuff though so that was why I was leaning toward something tanky. I'll just stick with my nightblade and try to make him beefy as gently caress. I can always just switch the build up if it sucks.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Kerplunk posted:

To be honest I WOULD have more fun with dps but I wanted to attempt to contribute.

Fortunately, it's not either/or. You can pick your favorite race/class combo for endgame tanking or healing, but play them as a dps until the time when you think you need to switch. You can re-do skill points and attribute points cheaply (when you get to the second zone), and you can swap gear any time you're not in combat (plus there are mods to make this a one-button switch).

Scyantific posted:

Engine Guardian melee

Weirdly, fire is not the worst problem meleeing engine guardian. The red circles never hit as long as he's moving away, and the sphere ground attacks never hit because you're constantly moving forward. As long as you're careful about when he's going to change direction on his fire spray (or when he's gonna do two red phases in a row), the only thing left is to have enough self-heal for purple phase which is all shock damage.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Kerplunk posted:

I appreciate the advice, fellas. To be honest I WOULD have more fun with dps but I wanted to attempt to contribute. Not really needed, I suppose.

I do like being able to easily solo stuff though so that was why I was leaning toward something tanky. I'll just stick with my nightblade and try to make him beefy as gently caress. I can always just switch the build up if it sucks.

We can always use more tanks. Though at this point some of the DPS output from us regulars is enough that usually most bosses will melt before they even get a chance to land their hard-hitting attacks.

The only cases where I can see tanks being an absolute necessity are:
-Veteran Banished Cells Hard Mode
-Veteran Crypt of Hearts Hard Mode
-Veteran City of Ash
-Imperial City dungeons

The first two because they involve keeping a certain amount of summons alive throughout the fight, the third because that dungeon is particularly harder than the rest of the veteran dungeons (though still doable), and the fourth because gently caress if I'm going to tank Crematorial Guards (these are flat out a DPS/HPS race).

Also, I run a Nightblade tank that does remarkably well (I've done all of the above) despite having a sub-optimal gear setup. Thing is, I'm running it as a magicka based tank. Being Imperial, I'm probably certain that you can run more magicka attributes given your health/stamina bonuses and make up for the lack of innate magicka bonuses, but that would have to be something to look at once you're hitting the late-game. For now just focus on having fun, leveling up, and seeing what this game is about. You have plenty of time to sperg out about min-maxing your build later.

tgidieday posted:

Weirdly, fire is not the worst problem meleeing engine guardian. The red circles never hit as long as he's moving away, and the sphere ground attacks never hit because you're constantly moving forward. As long as you're careful about when he's going to change direction on his fire spray (or when he's gonna do two red phases in a row), the only thing left is to have enough self-heal for purple phase which is all shock damage.

In theory, I shouldn't have so much a problem given that I've stacked all of my Warrior points into Elemental Defender and Hardy, but 15% resistance can only go so far when it's just making up for the 25% weakness as a vampire. I'm not even sure that the conversion I spoke about for the Flame Resist passive in Dunmer racials is accurate. It *should* be ~10%, but I can't find a reliable source for an accurate % conversion. So even if it was 10%, that puts me back at 0, still taking the full damage if I'm stupid enough to walk into the AoEs. Shock isn't so much a problem given the copious amounts of damage resist from both Draconic Power and Warrior passives.

Maybe I'll just run Magma Shell and pop that when I'm moving in for the fire phase.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Scyantific posted:

gently caress [...] Crematorial Guards

Now THERE'S where you're going to regret being a vampire. That dot is serious business on vet.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
According to this guy, http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/pts-2-1-2-sorcerer-arithmagic/, the mitigation from champion points is multiplicative, and the mitigation from resist scales as resist divided by 50k. So if you have 15k spell resist, picking up 3k fire resist should lower your damage received by ~8.6%. Multiplying in the 15% reduction from champ points, you should get ~22.3% less damage from fire, pretty close to the penalty you have from being a vampire.

That was the problem in the footmen thing you linked earlier, their argument was "going from 80% to 90% mitigation is only a 10% change". But it actually halves damage received: (1-.9)/(1-.8). If you feel tough enough at 80%, fine, otherwise getting to 90% is definitely worthwhile.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

The Wildfire DOT is only serious business because it cannot be purged whatsoever, effectively making every single Crematorial Guard encounter in Veteran White-Gold a DPS/HPS race.

I guess it's fitting since the speed-run achievement for the dungeon is called "Race to the Top."

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
theyre saying on the forums that they deserve compensation (free stuff) for the downtime and to think about twitch streamers losing their livelihood
:suicide:

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

vug posted:

theyre saying on the forums that they deserve compensation (free stuff) for the downtime and to think about twitch streamers losing their livelihood

"Fuckin' looooool." - ZOS.

They should all be given free costumes that are giant virtual wedgies.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

vug posted:

dont worry i think sypher's parents are good for the rent

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Berke Negri posted:

dont worry i think sypher's parents are good for the rent

:laffo:

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Scyantific posted:

The Wildfire DOT is only serious business because it cannot be purged whatsoever, effectively making every single Crematorial Guard encounter in Veteran White-Gold a DPS/HPS race.

I guess it's fitting since the speed-run achievement for the dungeon is called "Race to the Top."

Certainly there was a lot of running involved. Not sure how I'd have killed one without major expedition.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Updated after a long while in a couple different batches, now repair is reinstalling the whole game. Is there a quick and dirty fix that doesn't involve doing that all over again, that doesn't need the three manifest files launcher doesn't apparently detect?

Properties also shows Online folder about double the size it's on disk, so it might look at that new copy or something. Fixes for this one?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Servers back up.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday
The only downside to tanking in ESO is the lack of tanking ability support. There's only like two taunts in the game, and without add-ons, there's really no way to know when you've popped it off on the enemy. The flipside of this is that tanks are barely ever necessary, and can be subbed with two good healers p/tank.

Kerplunk
Oct 24, 2003
FECES!!!
Neat, server is back up. I'm questing a bit now, should I just keep an eye out on notifications or something when it comes to an invite?

ps It's @Kerplunko

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

gently caress I completely forgot about this game. Anything new happened in the past few months? Or DK changes? Gonna fire up my DK tonight and own some fuckers

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Bob NewSCART posted:

gently caress I completely forgot about this game. Anything new happened in the past few months? Or DK changes? Gonna fire up my DK tonight and own some fuckers

We got Imperial City, which is a new grindfest. We're also getting Orsinium on Monday

DK Talons got nerfed (they can be blocked now, making it completely useless). It's getting reverted on Monday though. Also the devs are promising more options for Stamina-based DKs "soon."

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
Options include: going magicka or being a tank!

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Anything particularly interesting happen with Sorcerers on the PVE end? I know a couple of months ago they were getting poo poo on in PVP but i never played that much anyway.

Am thinking of playing this game on the Xbone a bit later on today, invite to Xbone guild please? GT:Delters92

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Dunno what they've changed since you last tried, but tgidieday and scy both have endgame sorcs, stamina and magic respectively, and they're both amazing.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Anything particularly interesting happen with Sorcerers on the PVE end? I know a couple of months ago they were getting poo poo on in PVP but i never played that much anyway.

Am thinking of playing this game on the Xbone a bit later on today, invite to Xbone guild please? GT:Delters92

Not sorc exclusive, but magicka classes are finally getting our own version of Hunding's Rage, Law of Julianos.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Coldharbour seems to be taking forever. On the upside I am experimenting with different Stamplar load outs (single target, AoE etc.) and (sort of) learning how to play them. I think maybe my favorites so far are builds that incorporate various forms of Bash. Definitely not the most efficient, but lots of fun and decent for CC breaks and such. I have also been occasionally going to Cyrodill to level because even though the Battle leveling is not great for getting better at the game it is great for PvE leveling in Cyrodill. I haven't really started leveling my Sorcs, but it sounds as if we have pro Sorcs. I may need some help on the group instances in Cyrodill at some point.

I seem to be getting a CP or two a day. Seems like at that rate it is months to reach 501, by which time it seems likely to be higher. I have decided not to min/max worry it and just play.

I have also been trying to figure out CC. My understanding is that knock downs and stuns are hard CC and share immunity. Disorients last until damage is taken. Knockback is soft CC and does not have immunity in the same way. Is this close to right? What about roots, like Bombard? I seem to be able to sort of chain that, though it is high Stam cost. It seems very useful in AoE builds for locking some targets in the AoE. This is the only way I have gotten dps above the 2-5k range at level thus far (Scorched Earth, Shards, Bombard, Whirl). Not sure what other skills/abilities immobilize in this way. What about snares? Do they share the hard CC immunity timer? Power Bash and its morphs seem very powerful for stun susceptible single targets and can be used with groups to immobilize one target long enough to kill another. The effect lasts a long time it seems.

Also, while I am asking questions... I have tried the Whirling Blades morph of Whirlwind because Tornado eats so much Stam, but I don't really see a Stam efficiency from it. Is it known to be bugged?

I have been occasionally watching Fengrush's stream while playing. He is going through the arena on the test server using a Stam Sorc and his level of frustration and rage have been genuinely hilarious. Think he is almost done. ZOS_sieffer was in the stream chat last night and that was pretty funny.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Sogol posted:

Also, while I am asking questions... I have tried the Whirling Blades morph of Whirlwind because Tornado eats so much Stam, but I don't really see a Stam efficiency from it. Is it known to be bugged?

Not sure about whirling blades specifically, but last patch they went through and added internal cooldowns to other stamina generators (evil hunter, redguard racial passive).

Also gonna put in another good word here for brawler and stamina cost reduction glyphs.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
It is remotely possible that I have no idea who is who. So... Whoever was dragging me around through pledges tonight... Thank you!

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

What are the benefits and drawbacks for the Templar and Dragonknight? I want to play something tanky, with good mitigation and self-healing.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
armor and weapon makes you do what you want

your class is flair

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Third World Reggin posted:

armor and weapon makes you do what you want

your class is flair

To an extent. Class plays a big hand, though. A dragon knight healer is never going to be better than a templar healer, for example.

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
ignore the armour preview in the character creation screen, you can use whatever armour types you want (which has the lion's share of the influence on your build)
for example, you can have a nighblsde tank and they're cool

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Mormon Star Wars posted:

What are the benefits and drawbacks for the Templar and Dragonknight? I want to play something tanky, with good mitigation and self-healing.

It depends on what you're trying to do. Any race/class combination can finish all the quests, level to v16, and get to undaunted 9 (i.e. playing the game). If you know for absolute certain that you want to become an endgame PvE supertank, then it helps to consider the differences. But if you're just trying stuff out, I'd say pick what sounds fun and see if it is fun before committing yourself to something based on what it will become hundreds of hours down the line. You might discover that you like dps instead.

That said, here's my take on endgame tanking:

Dragonknight has a 97% damage reduction ult, a spammable group shield, their self-heal scales with max health, and all ults restore a ton of resources so you can use blood spawn instead of engine guardian. Templars have a 30% damage done reduction ult (or a ~15% damage reduction ult cheap enough to keep up most of the time), a great healing ult, a spammable 30% health shield and group heal, a couple sources of group stamina (!), and extra blocking mitigation. These are the best options for PvE tanking in endgame content, with dragonknight better at straight tanking, and templars better at being helpful to others.

The other classes can be good tanks, too, with a caveat. Nightblades have a 70% damage reduction ult that can be shared with other players (at 30%) and a group heal based on damage done. Sorcs have better shields to play with than templars as well as a self-heal based on damage done. But to make these tanks work properly, you need to build for damage, which is challenging to do without sacrificing toughness.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

JackBadass posted:

To an extent. Class plays a big hand, though. A dragon knight healer is never going to be better than a templar healer, for example.

Is that actually the case now because when I took a break it was pretty viable, Templar just was easier to learn.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

Is that actually the case now because when I took a break it was pretty viable, Templar just was easier to learn.

Not sure when you left, but PvE healing is mostly a buff game these days. All classes can do decently well with their favorite grand healing/regeneration morph and healing ward for emergencies. DKs have the new igneous shields which gives +30% healing done (and +12%/+20% healing received from dragon blood), so they're surprisingly good compared to a year ago.

That said, templar is still the way to go for emergency heals (breath of life and remembrance), so if you're not a proactive healer, that's your best choice. But it's pretty rare that your group needs multiple back-to-back 22k heals unless you're in trials (or are playing with stamina nightblades :v:).

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Heh, just scored Xivkyn chests for 9k gold.

Also scored gloves and boots for about 15k together.

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

Gonna try picking this game back up. I picked it up as it was going F2P and enjoyed it, but stopped for some reason. I was playing a nightblade and I remember I wanted to make a lightning sorc or something. Is that still viable, and will making myself Argonian hurt me greatly? Not terribly opposed to breton/altmer, just curious.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Argonian passives aren't great but you'll still have the satisfaction of being a special snowflake lizard man (worth it!)

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
Sorcerers have great magicka and stamina dps builds at the moment. The only disadvantage I can think of is that you have very few skills to help anyone else. But who cares when you're pulling 21k dps.

As for being an argonian, you'll look cool, especially if you get the wedding suit. However, you'll lose out on ~10% dps over being an altmer (you want the altmer elemental damage passive as a lightning sorc). Not a deal breaker, just something to consider.

e: beaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

They should just get rid of racial passives IMO, especially since that's the direction the main games have been going towards.

• Locked thread