Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Professor Bling posted:

Hey, now, I love my chrome Vulture; you rich playboys with your fighting yachts can stuff it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Where the gently caress is my gold Adder? <:mad:>

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Gold iCourier and iClipper. Style and Bling together in one vessel

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
CamoClipper for maximum sneakiness

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Oh hey I've been meaning to ask... In recent patches, did they change the way skybox stitching is done? I've been noticing WAY more hosed up cube sectors in my backgrounds lately. Like, just about everywhere; I can't go on a trip of any appreciable length without at least a few cubes cubily cubing up my immersion.

It seems like I used to just see them when I was out exploring weird, distant places. Was I just not noticing them splattered all over civilized space before?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What do they look like because I just traveled 1,000 ly towards home today (now only 2,000 ly away) and didn't see anything wrong.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Gestalt Intellect posted:

What do they look like because I just traveled 1,000 ly towards home today (now only 2,000 ly away) and didn't see anything wrong.

http://imgur.com/a/2dkcd

It's my understanding that it has to do with how real life astronomical data is stitched together inside the game. Which is understandable and all; I just can't recall seeing anywhere near as many cubes in civilized space as have been jumping out at me over the last couple weeks.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOZhlo3TP8s

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Trustworthy posted:

It's my understanding that it has to do with how real life astronomical data is stitched together inside the game. Which is understandable and all; I just can't recall seeing anywhere near as many cubes in civilized space as have been jumping out at me over the last couple weeks.
Huh. That's odd. The space cubes I've seen looked more like this:

Do they stay constant as you move around? I'm almost inclined to call them a rendering bug.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
So far, with merely 200 tons of Palladium delivered I'm stuck into the top 5% for the mining CG so if anyone was wondering, there you go. Pretty easy to get that, and I figure if you can manage 100 tons a day you'll have no trouble holding onto it. Brought FAS up to Koushpoos as well for the bounty hunting and jesus christ it's a mess. I've had NAT trouble or something in the past so I've never seen a really populated system before. How does this not devolve into a complete clusterfuck with PowerPlay participants?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Sard posted:

So far, with merely 200 tons of Palladium delivered I'm stuck into the top 5% for the mining CG so if anyone was wondering, there you go. Pretty easy to get that, and I figure if you can manage 100 tons a day you'll have no trouble holding onto it. Brought FAS up to Koushpoos as well for the bounty hunting and jesus christ it's a mess. I've had NAT trouble or something in the past so I've never seen a really populated system before. How does this not devolve into a complete clusterfuck with PowerPlay participants?

But when the reward is a mere 5mil for being one of the top 5 it's kind of hard to invest that kind of time.

Community Event participation makes the game look a little lifeless sometimes.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Met posted:

But when the reward is a mere 5mil for being one of the top 5 it's kind of hard to invest that kind of time.

Community Event participation makes the game look a little lifeless sometimes.

It's because :frontear: have 0 understanding of what their playerbase enjoys doing and have no idea what a "reasonable" goal would be.

Just look at how quickly the bounty hunting goal filled up.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I would do them but I haven't been in populated space since july, and I'm sure most other explorers are in similar situations with community goals.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Astroniomix posted:

It's because :frontear: have 0 understanding of what their playerbase enjoys doing and have no idea what a "reasonable" goal would be.

Just look at how quickly the bounty hunting goal filled up.

The guys who set up the CG's probably had a conversation like this.
Guy A: People have said that mining is cool now, we need data on how cool it is, let's do a bunch of Community Goals of each type and get some hard data on how cool it is via player participation.
Guy B: It's going to suck dude I mean mining?
Guy A: If it really sucks we can get more valuable player feedback that will let us know how much development time to invest on making it suck less, and we can tune future Goals to be more realistic.
Guy B: But dude it's mining.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Groggy nard posted:

The guys who set up the CG's probably had a conversation like this.
Guy A: People have said that mining is cool now, we need data on how cool it is, let's do a bunch of Community Goals of each type and get some hard data on how cool it is via player participation.
Guy B: It's going to suck dude I mean mining?
Guy A: If it really sucks we can get more valuable player feedback that will let us know how much development time to invest on making it suck less, and we can tune future Goals to be more realistic.
Guy B: But dude it's mining.

I really hope they chose Palladium because they wanted to track how many more thousands of tons were traded instead of mined

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
They probably chose it because afaik all of the CGs for materials that can only be mined haven't even reached tier 1.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
What's the requirement for buying a clipper?

Can I get there by doing cz's?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

AndroidHub posted:

They probably chose it because afaik all of the CGs for materials that can only be mined haven't even reached tier 1.

That's the thing, this is still a "it only counts if you mine it" deal.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

I know FD are afraid of players making large sums of money quickly, but it's pretty much the only thing that will motivate people to participate in these things in any reasonable capacity, otherwise you just get 5,000 people dumping a single load to get their names on the list and then loving off to wherever they came from.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

That's the thing, this is still a "it only counts if you mine it" deal.

:frontear:

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

SquirrelGrip posted:

What's the requirement for buying a clipper?

Can I get there by doing cz's?
1. Have money.
2. Have Baron rank with the Empire.
3. Find an Empire station selling it.

Thanks to a community goal, you can currently skip 2 and get a nice discount in the process by heading to Hiyya Orbital in Arjung.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Trustworthy posted:

OK, that's clearly a bunch of rendering errors. I'd recommend a new graphics card.

Seriously, I've travelled about 30k light years across the galaxy and never seen this.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I've been getting those sometimes lately too, I presumed it was because I'm running in SLI on a six year old computer.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

tooterfish posted:

I've been getting those sometimes lately too, I presumed it was because I'm running in SLI on a six year old computer.

Libluini posted:

OK, that's clearly a bunch of rendering errors. I'd recommend a new graphics card.

Seriously, I've travelled about 30k light years across the galaxy and never seen this.

Gonna confirm Libluini on this one.

I was running 2x 560 Ti's in SLI and getting the cube rendering error a lot.
I've since switched/upgraded to a 980 and have not seen a single issue like this, though nebulae will still appear as dark spots against the glow of the galaxy from time to time.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I'm planning a new build after the new year anyway, just trying to decide if I want to go full retard on an i7 6700K or stick to a more sensible i5 6600K/i7 6700.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Helter Skelter posted:

1. Have money.
2. Have Baron rank with the Empire.
3. Find an Empire station selling it.

Thanks to a community goal, you can currently skip 2 and get a nice discount in the process by heading to Hiyya Orbital in Arjung.

How much is the discount?

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You can buy it for 15.1mill so it's about 7mill off.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
How terrible is this build: http://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_clipper/26A6A5A5D6A5D4C0v0v27270404000406p15d32f3f30101.Iw18aQ==.EwBhEYy6fSqA

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Like 30% or so. It's significant, and there's also a (I think 15%) discount on fitting at the same station if you want to slap a 7A shield in there.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer

Solid. Any comments I'd make would come down to personal preference, so that said.

I'd consider Cannons over Multicannons, because they're more effective against larger hulls and your beams are plenty to swat the little guys.

I'd say it isn't worth the extra fuel tanks - it rarely works out you're just ultimately reducing your maximum jump range because you're hauling more fuel especially so when you've got fast enough scoop on there.

Consider double chaff. It's guarantees escape in most bad situations. The Clipper can outrun just about anything, but it's a fat target. Dropping a booster, for an extra chaff and swapping to Gimballed Cannons also gives you the power overhead to have your Banks on when deployed.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Arach posted:

I'd consider Cannons over Multicannons, because they're more effective against larger hulls and your beams are plenty to swat the little guys.

Gonna second the Cannon suggestion. I switched my Class 2 weapons to Cannons and the big poo poo drops MUCH quicker now. Goddamn have I missed the iClipper. It's such a blast to fly.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
This is so dumb but I can't stop grinning like an idiot at it. This is the best way to break in a IR tracker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4pf5FepJDg

:parrot:

Sard fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 31, 2015

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
So, stupid question. With trackir you move your head to change perspective, but obviously you still have to look at your screen, so doesn't that feel unnatural? Like you're constantly looking out the corner of your eyes.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I have an EDtracker (not TrackIR) but it works similarly.

It's actually pretty intuitive. You'd be amazed at how natural it feels after a while.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Mike the TV posted:

So, stupid question. With trackir you move your head to change perspective, but obviously you still have to look at your screen, so doesn't that feel unnatural? Like you're constantly looking out the corner of your eyes.
It amplifies your motion. Usually if you turn to look directly at the edge of the screen you'd have the camera looking over your shoulder to owl-like angles, and you'd still be able to see things pretty easily.

There's an adjustment phase where you try to make it work out right for you, adjusting dead zones and response curves. Once you get it set up, it feels very natural.

hohum
Mar 17, 2010

umoms.
I just got this game not too long ago and I feel like I'm spinning my wheels. I've been grinding for hours on end hauling stuff around and doing smuggling missions whenever the opportunities present themselves and I've only got 128K liquid credits and I'm flying around in an Adder. I'm obviously doing something wrong. Any tips on making a bunch of money quickly?

hohum
Mar 17, 2010

umoms.
also the wiki claims the Adder can go 27LY unlaiden. I'm seeing more like high 10s. How can I adjust my build to get longer distances?

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

A-rank the FSD and D-rank everything else basically-

http://coriolis.io/outfit/adder/03D3D3A1D2D3D3C-----2t--3u-.Iw1+kA==.Aw1+kA==

If you are gonna be using it as anything but a taxi you won't be getting that kind of range.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

hohum posted:

also the wiki claims the Adder can go 27LY unlaiden. I'm seeing more like high 10s. How can I adjust my build to get longer distances?

First thing is really just get out of the adder. But make sure you have your fsd upgraded as much as possible to max out your jump range, and d rate as many things as you're comfortable with to increase range. As soon as you can get yourself in a cobra, I'd recommend that. It's a great all purpose ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Buying a higher class frame shift drive is the biggest thing for jump range, followed by buying lighter components (D rank) for other stuff. Combat ships typically don't get as many D classes, because it's nice to have higher class stuff for things like shields and thrusters, even if they are heavier.

What do you want to do in this game? What type of stuff do you enjoy? Combat? Trading? Mining? PvP?

• Locked thread