Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Yeah, they probably should've gone with, like, a Worker replacement that gets +50% or +100% work speed on hills maybe. Or maybe a Chasqui, as a Scout replacement with 3 moves and +1 visibility, and/or possibly mountain movement?

Or just skip a UU altogether and give them a Tambo, either as a UB or a second UI.

A faster scout would be one of the best UUs in the game. Look at how good the Shoshone UU is early on. The Inca already have a UI that's so powerful they don't need any extra help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
The Community Balance Patch makes Inca slingers good.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Sanctum posted:

I love the Inca - one of the best civs for sure - but their UU has to be the most aggressively worthless UU in the game. A straight downgrade in terms of combat stats and a negative ability that is listed as a positive for some bizarre reason. Worst thing is their ability carries over when you upgrade so they will forever be a tainted ranged unit that will withdraw from combat and leave your great general to die if you forget which unit they are.

The Inca 'slinger' is not even historically accurate. The slingers they refer to were an adaptation to deal with mounted troops which the Inca had never encountered before. But their ayllo (bolas) were never brought in great enough numbers to make a difference, they might have knocked a horse down here and there but to no great effect. How many horses did Pizarro even bring, 20 I think? And obviously the Inca had much bigger problems than spaniards on horses.

Their retreat is actually pretty great, but yes it's bullshit that they actually come with a penalty.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Well since the Inca are pretty powerful, they could have easily made their UU crappier as a form of balance.

Playing with a bunch of mod civs, and I just finished a game playing as the Israelites. Nazi Germany popped up as one of the AI's, so it was kind of fun completely destroying Hitler and converting all of the cities to Judaism.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Slingers are still better than Sipahi or any of the UU for units that get blown past tech wise.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Has anyone ever won a raging barbs game from the stone age by founding a religion with heathen conversion and just using converted barb units above their tech level?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
If they did, it probably involved converting a ton of bows and overrunning the technologically-advanced AI with lovely, plinky ranged attacks.

More likely it involved them making like -500gpt though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Etalommi posted:

Slingers are still better than Sipahi or any of the UU for units that get blown past tech wise.

Siphai are not good, but they’re not actively disadvantageous.

The slinger is one of the rare UUs that’s worse than the standard unit.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Indonesian swordsmen are worse too. A random 50-50 chance that your unit will be good or terrible? Great. Just take that newly produced swordsman to the enemy and strike that bowman outside his city and- haha it turns out he got the -20 health per turn inside enemy territory gently caress you lol.

Korea's boat is pretty bad too, sure it's strong but it's basically just a trireme or steroids with the same limitations. At least back when it was ranged it could do something. Caravels aren't too useful against frigates but at least they are capable of hitting back.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Poil posted:

Indonesian swordsmen are worse too. A random 50-50 chance that your unit will be good or terrible? Great. Just take that newly produced swordsman to the enemy and strike that bowman outside his city and- haha it turns out he got the -20 health per turn inside enemy territory gently caress you lol.

Korea's boat is pretty bad too, sure it's strong but it's basically just a trireme or steroids with the same limitations. At least back when it was ranged it could do something. Caravels aren't too useful against frigates but at least they are capable of hitting back.

Actually Indonesian swordsmen have a 75% chance of an upgrade, and some of them are quite powerful. Invulnerability (+30% defense and +20 HP per heal), Restlessness (+1 attack, +1 movement) and Heroism (Gives a combat bonus like a Great General) are incredible.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Poil posted:

Korea's boat is limited to coast, but it is ridiculously strong for the era. Standard Caravel has 20 strength, Turtle Ship has 36. Hell, Privateers and Frigates have 25 and 28, respectively. They can stand toe-to-toe with Ships of the Line if you can get a battlefield where they can't run away to deep ocean. They're a very different unit from the thing they replace - Turtle Ships can't explore but they can initiate a reign of coastal terror on whatever bastards happen to share your home continent.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
There was a youtube guy someone suggested in this thread or a previous iteration who played LPs on diety. American guy, talked kinda slow, had an icon of like, a turtle with glasses or something. He gave a lot of good step by step on why he took each move he did. If nobody knows who I'm talking about, are there any other good play-along people i can keep on in the background to watch someone good at civ v play it?

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Filthyrobot does good MP vids. Granted, he's using a modded version of CiV, but his tactics and strats are pretty sound no matter what version.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Zemalf, Filthyrobot, and Marbozir are the folks I'd watch for Civ 5 high level stuff. If it's American, then probably Robot.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Is there a negative gold point at which the game disbands units, or do you just lose research? I thought I heard something about units being disbanded but I have no idea what that threshold is. As far as I know the unit supply limit will only reduce my production by some very huge percentages, but all I care about is keeping my units.

I want to try raging barbs again playing piety ethiopia with heathen conversion, sit on 1 city and never build a library, convert barbs at whatever tech level the AIs are averaging, raze every city except capitals and starve capitals to keep within my meager happiness margins. I don't need decent faith generation or lower era faith costs, 2-3 missionaries is all I'll ever need. There's no reason not to tech with this setup, I just want to see if I can pull a no tech/no economy domination win off using converted barbs for an army. In theory, all I need is any AI to have a culture pool big enough to prevent another civ's culture victory and then take their capital last.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Yes, but I couldn't pinpoint the number for you. It was so long ago that it might've been before G&K, even, but I have had units forcibly disband. It'll happen eventually.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Nov 1, 2015

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I don't think gold per turn matters, as long as you have enough in your treasury to meet expenses. Once treasury - gold loss per turn < 0, that's when you would lose units, because there's no way to pay their cost. I think.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Gorgar posted:

I don't think gold per turn matters, as long as you have enough in your treasury to meet expenses. Once treasury - gold loss per turn < 0, that's when you would lose units, because there's no way to pay their cost. I think.

Yep, though you do get a short grace period where the game tells you "if you don't get your finances above water quite, you're gonna start losing units".

It occurs to me that if you used trade routes to keep your army paid in this scenario, the trade routes would probably be driving the majority of your science...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yep, though you do get a short grace period where the game tells you "if you don't get your finances above water quite, you're gonna start losing units".

It depends on exactly how negative your finances are. If a lone city‐state caravel suddenly blockades your capital, the game can and will disband a foreign legion on the first turn.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Platystemon posted:

It depends on exactly how negative your finances are. If a lone city‐state caravel suddenly blockades your capital, the game can and will disband a foreign legion on the first turn.

I seem to remember the number being -5 gpt. Any lower and it starts disbanding.

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.
Anybody regularly play maps larger than normal? I'm tempted by one of those giant real-earth maps but I don't want to be playing for two years.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Mentos Dan posted:

Anybody regularly play maps larger than normal? I'm tempted by one of those giant real-earth maps but I don't want to be playing for two years.

I've played a few games on huge maps. You have to play on at least epic or preferably marathon speed or else it will take like one-fourth of the game to move your army to the other end of your own continent and into attack position. The fact unit movement speeds are calibrated to normal size/normal speed and don't scale with world size/game speed is one of the game's weaknesses.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Mentos Dan posted:

I almost exclusively play on the biggest possible map from Yet Not Another Earth Maps Pack. My computer has an i5 processor, 8 gigs of RAM, and a 660Ti graphics card to handle it all (the processor is most important). Turns towards the end of a game do take a couple minutes, so I browse the forums while waiting for the AI to think, and just click on the politest reply to any questions they ask of me. I'd say it takes maybe 20 hours of gameplay to get to the end of a game on a giant Earth map with 22 civilizations at Standard speed. You're going to want to turn on Quick Movement, and Quick Combat when not at war, or the AI turns will take much longer. The one time I played a Marathon game, it was very interesting but lasted 67 hours of gameplay.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I love big maps. Huge is maybe a little too much, but I almost always play on large.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Is there a way to have the scores from your modded games saved to your personal leaderboard?

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Has anyone been using any cool mods? Feeling like Civ 5 again.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

KoldPT posted:

Has anyone been using any cool mods? Feeling like Civ 5 again.

The Community Patch has completely revitalised my interest in the game.

Go here and download the "Community Patch Project Full (EUI Version)".

Some of the things I like about it include:

* Rebalance of almost all leaders so they've all got something going for them
* Rebalance of military units so they all have an upgrade path and are worthwhile
* Rebalance of the happiness system - now it's not generated by "number of cities" and "size of cities" but rather by a lack of buildings in your cities (IE: Cities with no libraries will generate unhappiness due to "illiteracy", cities with no economic buildings will generate unhappiness due to "poverty" and so on)
* Rebalance of social policies so they're all worth taking

Full changelog is available here.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
How much does that make the game actually feel like the game? It seems from your description to be something like a full overhaul rather than a patch.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler
I posted this question a few months ago and the consensus was to wait until after the expansion. With the release of the newest expansion, is Beyond Earth nearly the level of complexity and enjoyment of Civ 5 or is it still a long way away?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

flatluigi posted:

How much does that make the game actually feel like the game? It seems from your description to be something like a full overhaul rather than a patch.

It makes the game feel better than the game while still being the game, hope that helps.

Here's a small example that I liked:

In the base game Portugal has three special abilities - they get a ship that you can send to City States and get a little money from, they get a unique tile improvement that grants them access to a City State luxury which you can build in City State territory, and they get more money from trade. They're not a particularly powerful or fun to play Civ - a bit of extra money isn't a big deal (especially when food trading to your capital is more worthwhile than international trade a lot of the time) and it's a pain to have to send workers all the way across the map to build your tile improvement.

In the patch, Portugal still has the same kind of abilities - better trade, unique tile improvement, and unique ship for trading. But now, you get your unique tile improvement built for you when you use your unique ship to trade - no more sending workers all over the place! You now get science for trading, which is obviously much more valuable than a bit of gold, as well as great admiral/general points for trade. All of it adds up to a Portugal that is more in line power-wise with the best Civs in the base game like Poland, and is a lot less fiddly to play than its original version.

Serrath posted:

I posted this question a few months ago and the consensus was to wait until after the expansion. With the release of the newest expansion, is Beyond Earth nearly the level of complexity and enjoyment of Civ 5 or is it still a long way away?

It's still bad - the expansion has a demo on Steam though, so you can make up your own mind from that.

Gort fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Nov 27, 2015

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Is there actually a changelog for the balance patch somewhere?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

StashAugustine posted:

Is there actually a changelog for the balance patch somewhere?

Gort posted:

Full changelog is available here.

In the quoted OP there's a link to a google doc that lists the changes.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Whoops, can't read.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

To be honest, there are so many changes in it that the best way to actually "get to know" it is to play it. Do look out though, difficulty's a lot higher on the same levels though. Start low.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010
Someone on reddit found a... feature? Bug? Either way, you can now freely move the camera in the leader-meeting diplomacy screens when the AI initiates them.

Turns out they're actually 3D rendered and modeled, and you can move around to do... nothing, really. The environments only make sense when viewed from the default angle, but it's still fun to look around.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Looks like a debug control they forgot to remove.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I'm a super casual civ player. I know basically how everything works but any sort of higher strategy is beyond me. That said, I just picked up the complete edition of civ 5 (had the base game before) to play with my buddies and am trying to wrap my head around all the additional stuff.

I'm playing as the celts and saw that they get some interesting bonuses to religion. Is it worth it to just bum rush religion points early on? How useful is it in the long run?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

PantsBandit posted:

I'm a super casual civ player. I know basically how everything works but any sort of higher strategy is beyond me. That said, I just picked up the complete edition of civ 5 (had the base game before) to play with my buddies and am trying to wrap my head around all the additional stuff.

I'm playing as the celts and saw that they get some interesting bonuses to religion. Is it worth it to just bum rush religion points early on? How useful is it in the long run?

Religion is more valuable the earlier you can get in, but it's practically never worth diverting huge quantities of resources into (Piety and temple buildings are garbage, in particular.) This is especially true on higher difficulties, where the AI can and will afford to dump lots of resources into those inefficient faith generators and out-spam you with missionaries. I'd still say it's useful on anything short of Deity, if and only if you don't have to spend a lot for it.

Best route, if you have a native source of faith like the Celts, is to use that to get an early pantheon and then try to get one that will generate faith for you based on your surrounding terrain/resources. Also look for and complete easy quests from religious city-states. With a little luck you can coast into an early religion without having to spend jack poo poo. If circumstances are right you may be able to swing the wonder Borodobur, which is the one exception I make to the "don't spend things on religion" rule.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Gabriel Pope posted:

Religion is more valuable the earlier you can get in, but it's practically never worth diverting huge quantities of resources into (Piety and temple buildings are garbage, in particular.) This is especially true on higher difficulties, where the AI can and will afford to dump lots of resources into those inefficient faith generators and out-spam you with missionaries. I'd still say it's useful on anything short of Deity, if and only if you don't have to spend a lot for it.

Best route, if you have a native source of faith like the Celts, is to use that to get an early pantheon and then try to get one that will generate faith for you based on your surrounding terrain/resources. Also look for and complete easy quests from religious city-states. With a little luck you can coast into an early religion without having to spend jack poo poo. If circumstances are right you may be able to swing the wonder Borodobur, which is the one exception I make to the "don't spend things on religion" rule.

Cool thanks for the info. I think the only religion related thing I've taken so far is the one that gives you a science bonus for any city connected by a road. Figured that would be pretty good since I generally make sure to have all my cities connected anyways.

Only one of the three of us playing is any good at Civ so I'm not concerned with getting crushed or anything, I just hate getting several hours into a civ game only to realize my strategy is completely stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
On the lower difficulties, you have a lot more leeway to experiment with mechanics. There's tons of stuff in Civ that is "not optimal" and thus gets recommended against, with religion merely being probably the most prominent example.

If you're curious, the general "best advice" is to prioritize food and happiness above basically everything. You want as much food as possible, and then enough happiness that your empire doesn't become unhappy, so that your cities grow as huge as possible, because population = science = technology = massive advantages over other civs.

But for the religion game, you don't necessarily want to prioritize food/happiness in your pantheon, because the religions themselves have better powers and you may need faith from your pantheon in order to get a religion.

• Locked thread