Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
I just picked this up after playing the alpha ages ago and good god they've really added a lot of depth to this game; as if it wasn't already feature rich 6 months ago. I'm really amazed at just how much having multiple traits for prisoners adds to the game, I must say. The addition of shops, mail rooms, and libraries are a nice touch too; even though they cut into my license plate making bottom line.

I do have a question though, since I'm tackling making my first fully segregated prison. Are visitors smart enough to go to the correct Visitation room if you give them multiple options? I'd like to just set up a small visitation room in Min/Normal/Max(gently caress PC/Supermax, they can rot until their time is up) for each group, but if this isn't possible I'm probably just going to say gently caress it and let them get their family need via mail and the phone.

E; It's also funny how family members apparently have no fear of security ratings and will gladly walk through the valley of the shadow of death to get to a visitation room like loving lemmings. I'm surprised more of them don't get murdered.

NatasDog fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Version 1.1 (or 1.01 or whatever, first post-launch patch) is coming on November 13th.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your GPS
I'd be a heavenly person today

NatasDog posted:

Are visitors smart enough to go to the correct Visitation room if you give them multiple options?

Yes

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Thanks. Ended up trying it out last night and it seemed like it was working as I'd hoped. I felt bad for the couple I saw that sat around waiting for a visit with someone who'd gotten themselves thrown into lockdown/solitary; but if they didn't want to do the time, they shouldn't have done the crime :getin:

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Forestry zones are OP in Escape Mode - especially because, in a lot of the Workshop prisons I've tried, nobody even bothered to fence off their forestry areas or do anything at all to make them difficult for prisoners to access. You can get shovels there, which are pretty nice digging tools, but more importantly, you can get axes, which are stupidly-powerful weapons that don't get picked up by the metal detectors. Arm your gang with axes and wait for the right moment, and you're unstoppable.

Also, has anyone else managed to successfully kick off a riot while in Escape Mode? The last time I played I managed to get a huge one going, and ran through the rioting crowds tossing out shotguns I'd stolen from the Armory (after tunnelling into the armory and stocking my entire cell block with concealed shotguns). The rioters slaughtered all the guards and busted down the doors while I just sort of ran around distributing weapons like some sort of insurrectionist Santa Claus.

Speaking of tunneling into the Armory, yeah, get creative with your digging. You might not be able to dig out of the prison from where you are, but a tunnel can output anywhere, and you can split up your squad to pull off some neat tricks. Tunnel a guy into the utility room to cut the power to the cameras! Tunnel a guy into the armory to steal some guns! Tunnel into the Supermax wing to recruit some of those legendary prisoners!

Basically, what I'm saying is that escape mode is awesome.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
I wish there was a Front Desk type of room. Like a Reception, except for visitors/parole officers/teachers instead of prisoners.

It wouldn't even have to do anything except make the visitors walk through it before going further into the prison. That way you could have one entrance for items, one for prisoners and one for civilians. Released prisoners could check out through that room, too, instead of running through the kitchen door.

Maybe it could work like a Shop with a guard inside, visitors outside?

DeepQantas fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 29, 2015

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

DeepQantas posted:

I wish there was a Front Desk type of room. Like a Reception, except for visitors/parole officers/teachers instead of prisoners.

It wouldn't even have to do anything except make the visitors walk through it before going further into the prison. That way you could have one entrance for items, one for prisoners and one for civilians. Released prisoners could check out through that room, too, instead of running through the kitchen door.
I was playing through campaign mode this week, then loaded up my last prison (from last December? Oof!), and the visitor routing is still bizarre. They'd rather walk up through two pressure plated solitary doors, through the kitchen, and down through the canteen than just walk through ONE pressure plate door, a staff door, and directly into visitation.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

FronzelNeekburm posted:

I was playing through campaign mode this week, then loaded up my last prison (from last December? Oof!), and the visitor routing is still bizarre. They'd rather walk up through two pressure plated solitary doors, through the kitchen, and down through the canteen than just walk through ONE pressure plate door, a staff door, and directly into visitation.

People who aren't your direct employees don't have staff keys.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

They'll still wait at a staff door for someone to come open it for them if it's in their preferred route.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Unreal_One posted:

People who aren't your direct employees don't have staff keys.
The staff door also has a pressure plate. It's really baffling.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

It's probably some sort of pathfinding optimization thing gone wrong. Workers often take the long route hauling stuff, too.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

FronzelNeekburm posted:

The staff door also has a pressure plate. It's really baffling.

The ai doesn't take pressure plates in account for doors etc.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I've got a sneaking suspicion that staff keys get stolen all the time or something, because prisoners will seriously waltz through staff doors at will.

You just have to make sure that the area behind the staff door is marked as staff-only, because prisoners will respect deployment zones unless they're actively rioting.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

CapnAndy posted:

I've got a sneaking suspicion that staff keys get stolen all the time or something, because prisoners will seriously waltz through staff doors at will.

You just have to make sure that the area behind the staff door is marked as staff-only, because prisoners will respect deployment zones unless they're actively rioting.
Prisoners will (or, at least, they used to) also get through any doors between them and a place they have a reason to be. So, for example, if you assign them to janitorial duties, guards will happily let them out the front door to sweep up if you haven't fenced all non-staff areas in.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Really enjoying this game now that I'm finally getting into it for real, got it back in early access but only dipped my toes in.

My only complaint right now is that I want to start a new fresh sandbox prison, but my only options seem to be "start with nothing" or "infinite money", and I really really want something in-between. I want the stress of actually having to balance a budget, but I don't want to spend forever slowly growing up a tiny prison to make money to build basic facilities. I want enough starter seed cash that I can build at least one solid wing of a detention block and a few utility / administrative buildings, but it seems that starting the normal way you're pretty much broke to begin with. So I guess I'll play on infinite cash but that's frustrating.

Can you at least save a prison built with infinite cash and then play it like a scenario starting from there with money?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Zaphod42 posted:

Really enjoying this game now that I'm finally getting into it for real, got it back in early access but only dipped my toes in.

My only complaint right now is that I want to start a new fresh sandbox prison, but my only options seem to be "start with nothing" or "infinite money", and I really really want something in-between. I want the stress of actually having to balance a budget, but I don't want to spend forever slowly growing up a tiny prison to make money to build basic facilities. I want enough starter seed cash that I can build at least one solid wing of a detention block and a few utility / administrative buildings, but it seems that starting the normal way you're pretty much broke to begin with. So I guess I'll play on infinite cash but that's frustrating.

Can you at least save a prison built with infinite cash and then play it like a scenario starting from there with money?

Can't you just edit your savefile and specify how many dollarydoos you want to start with??

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Splode posted:

Can't you just edit your savefile and specify how many dollarydoos you want to start with??

Yeah I was just thinking about that. I dunno if they encrypt the save files or anything though, guess its time to poke around.

Or just use something like cheat engine to grant myself a ton of cash to start with :v:

Still it should be an in-game option, not much to ask for.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I was just thinking about that. I dunno if they encrypt the save files or anything though, guess its time to poke around.

Or just use something like cheat engine to grant myself a ton of cash to start with :v:

Still it should be an in-game option, not much to ask for.

Not encrypted, I modified a few prisoners into gang leaders so I could test out gangs

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ah okay yeah, they're just plaintext. Finding the money value was easy enough, now I'm off to the races.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah either edit your save file (it's just a text file, use Notepad++ or something), use one of the "cheat" cash grant mods on the Steam Workshop, or do it the intended way and sell another prison you previously built.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?

Splode posted:

Not encrypted, I modified a few prisoners into gang leaders so I could test out gangs

Can you tell me how you did that? Want to give gangs a go but never get any leaders.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Is it less ridiculously hard to get leaders in now?

dogstile fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 31, 2015

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Gooses and Geeses posted:

Can you tell me how you did that? Want to give gangs a go but never get any leaders.
You can add a few lines to the prisoner in the save file: https://steamcommunity.com/app/233450/discussions/0/541907675759827620/#c541907675760444866

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

You could sell your existing prison and start a new one with the proceeds.

Although I've never had a problem getting set up fairly quickly as long as I kept doing grants.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your GPS
I'd be a heavenly person today

dogstile posted:

Is it less ridiculously hard to get leaders in now?

I started a new prison with V.1 and in my experience it is still nearly impossible... I am at like day 30 with hundreds of prisoners. Almost 200 rotating max sec. Still haven't had a single gang leader show up...

That and the very very very low frequency of Death Row prisoners are my biggest gripes with the game. I get a death row prisoner about 1 out of every 10 days, and they come in my prison with a 45% or better chance of clemency and are typically gone in 1 day. It would make since to have at least 4 or 5 death row guys working their way through the process, but they are always in and out.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Tenebrais posted:

You could sell your existing prison and start a new one with the proceeds.

Although I've never had a problem getting set up fairly quickly as long as I kept doing grants.

Yeah if you set up a risk free low-sec prison and let it run for a while you'll have enough capital to invest in a much larger new prison.

Sure it'll take some time, but it's relaxing, and you don't have to feel like you're cheating.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My first real prison is running surprisingly well despite the fact that I have very little idea what I'm doing and am just making things up as I go along instead of planning where anything goes beforehand.

Is there anyway to just deliver food to protected prisoners because they tend to get stabbed if they share a canteen and I don't want to build them a separate one since there's only like 7 of them at a time at most.

I tried escaping from my own prison and was able to kickstart a huge riot. I then set the whole place on fire and just walked out the door while everyone was burning to death.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

FreudianSlippers posted:

Is there anyway to just deliver food to protected prisoners because they tend to get stabbed if they share a canteen and I don't want to build them a separate one since there's only like 7 of them at a time at most.

If you set them to permanent lockdown a guard will bring food to their cells.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

FreudianSlippers posted:

Either research permanent punishments and put them on permanent lockdown or stagger meal times so that your protected guys eat when everyone else is working/locked up/doing other stuff. If you didn't know, in the Regime tab, you'll have a button at the top if you have Protected Custody or Super-Max prisoners that will let you change their regime (and probably Death Row but I haven't taken any of them yet). You could also probably have them eat with your min-sec guys, assuming you have any. There's a smaller chance they'll get stabbed by dudes who've already got one foot out the door.

In my last couple of prisons, I've been playing with self-sufficient mini-prisons shared between Protected Custody and Supermax guys. Keep it separated from the rest of your prison by staff-only areas, and they'll only leave for parole and release. Supermax is basically always in lockdown, except for a couple hours in the yard and 2 meals (morning, late afternoon). Protected custody is in lockdown whenever supermax is out of their cells (and vice versa, obviously). They've got their own kitchen/canteen (much smaller than the main one), laundry room, chapel, classroom, yard, and even their own psychologist (who pretty much just holds AA meetings for snitches and ex-cops in the small common room near the canteen). Supermax is basically reserved for Legendary prisoners and that one guy who was almost there (he had 3 or 4 traits and a bad attitude). I've had about 8 deaths in the prison, and they're all from supermax guys going wild and beating some guards to death.

Well, except for the one time, when I wasn't paying attention to what time it was as I was rearranging regimes, and I got the blue "guard in trouble" icon from the PC/SM canteen. During the afternoon meal, one of the Supermax guys beat up a guard, and by the time I scrolled over to see what happened, the other guard in the canteen was tazing him into unconsciousness and putting the cuffs on him (also, one of the Supermax guys had grabbed a tray and sat as close to the fight as he could, like he was thinking "hey, front row seat!"). A PC snitch found himself on work time and didn't have a job, so he wandered into the canteen (there are phones, weight benches, and a radio in there). Front-Row-Seat Guy almost immediately started a fight with the remaining guard while the third legendary prisoner grabbed the baton and keys from the (unconscious) first guard, and ran after the snitch. To his credit, the snitch basically turned and ran as soon as he realized what he had walked in on but the legendary prisoner was faster, and beat him to death in the common room. The guy with the baton was tazed into submission almost as soon as he got out of the building. The whole thing was pretty great to watch, and would never have happened if I had just paused the game while rearranging schedules. Also, I could have probably had more than 2 non-armed guards in the canteen with 3 legendary prisoners.

I don't intentionally try to make things like that happen, but I laugh and watch when they do. It's not like I'm putting an unguarded armory with a wooden door near my max-sec cellblock or anything (a friend of mine did this and said it was pretty funny to see just how much the prisoners would accumulate between regular cellblock searches).

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 1, 2015

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I just picked this up today.

I really liked the Tutorial story :). I thought it was a nice touch, especially to see the two perspectives kinda battle it out, even though the way the end scene plays out totally supports the MAKE EVERYBODY HAPPY perspective.

Gonna start my own prison from scratch tomorrow and see what I can dig up. I found schools take a stupidly long time though. Am I doing something wrong?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
What are some cool practical uses of remote doors and logic circuits?

Making robo-autonomous cells for cop killers?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

H13 posted:

I just picked this up today.

I really liked the Tutorial story :). I thought it was a nice touch, especially to see the two perspectives kinda battle it out, even though the way the end scene plays out totally supports the MAKE EVERYBODY HAPPY perspective.

Gonna start my own prison from scratch tomorrow and see what I can dig up. I found schools take a stupidly long time though. Am I doing something wrong?

If you want an easy start you can rename your tutorial save. Just change the extension from .campaign to .prison
The save directory is shown at the bottom of the Load Prison menu and you can click it to open the folder in Windows.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Mister Bates posted:

I just sort of ran around distributing weapons like some sort of insurrectionist Santa Claus.
Well, I know what I'm doing this evening.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Hm.

Prison challenge:
- No metal detectors
- Prisoners must pass through an Armory when leaving their cell block

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
how the gently caress does a third of my prison manage to convince people to throw phones over the fence to them every loving day

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

how the gently caress does a third of my prison manage to convince people to throw phones over the fence to them every loving day

Disassemble phones, dezone visitation

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Honestly? I just might, because seriously I'm getting thirty loving cell phones on every shakedown.

On a different note, executing people is beautifully depressing. I was afraid that my death row inmates were all going to be legendary-grade butchers, so I prepared big cells for them and planned around gradually installing amenities to keep them placated. The first inmate I brought in wound up with a cell containing a radio, a prayer mat, a weightbench, an office desk and chair, and a bookshelf. He lived comfortably in there, never complaining except for not having any freedom; his wife even sent him a lot of letters which helped satisfy his need for literacy. One by one his appeals ran out, and he wound up in the electric chair after a couple of weeks, after he was below the threshold for a legal execution.

Then I got a message saying he was innocent.

All the poo poo I bought him is still in the cell. :smith:

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Oh poo poo. A power surge just blew up my powerplant.

Right after I commissioned the building of a new cell block.

I make 5k per day, but at the moment I have nothing.

All the prisoners are asleep, so we're going into lockdown until I can rebuild the powerplant. This is going to get interesting.

Edit: Oh my god they're pissing EVERYWHERE. The guards locked in the cell blocks are getting butchered.

H13 fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Nov 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

quote:

Prison Architect - Oh my god they're pissing EVERYWHERE.

New thread title?

• Locked thread