Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Do they stay constant as you move around? I'm almost inclined to call them a rendering bug.

Totally; they're a static part of various systems' backgrounds for me.

LCL-Dead posted:

Gonna confirm Libluini on this one.

I was running 2x 560 Ti's in SLI and getting the cube rendering error a lot.
I've since switched/upgraded to a 980 and have not seen a single issue like this, though nebulae will still appear as dark spots against the glow of the galaxy from time to time.

I'm currently running 2x 560 Ti's in SLI, oddly enough, so it's probably not a coincidence.

After some testing I'm fairly certain it's not a dying card or anything; more just that this card configuration isn't getting along with something Elite's doing in the rendering of backgrounds. Oh well; I'll upgrade at some point, and despite my bitching it's not a dealbreaker in the meantime. Thanks all for the advice.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Arach posted:

Solid. Any comments I'd make would come down to personal preference, so that said.

I'd consider Cannons over Multicannons, because they're more effective against larger hulls and your beams are plenty to swat the little guys.

I'd say it isn't worth the extra fuel tanks - it rarely works out you're just ultimately reducing your maximum jump range because you're hauling more fuel especially so when you've got fast enough scoop on there.

Consider double chaff. It's guarantees escape in most bad situations. The Clipper can outrun just about anything, but it's a fat target. Dropping a booster, for an extra chaff and swapping to Gimballed Cannons also gives you the power overhead to have your Banks on when deployed.

This is the build that I use: http://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_clipper/06A6A5A5D6A5D4C1e1e2727040404044m5n5d5d---2f.Iw18aQ==.EwBhEYy6fSqA

No chaff, 4 boosters, 3 cell boosters, no cargo and no scoop. I'm also still on lightweight alloy versus military bulkheads but I'm poor. I only had about 67 million to do the fit with after buying the discounted chassis.

Trustworthy posted:

I'm currently running 2x 560 Ti's in SLI, oddly enough, so it's probably not a coincidence.

After some testing I'm fairly certain it's not a dying card or anything; more just that this card configuration isn't getting along with something Elite's doing in the rendering of backgrounds. Oh well; I'll upgrade at some point, and despite my bitching it's not a dealbreaker in the meantime. Thanks all for the advice.

They're great cards and weren't giving me any issues with the game aside from those simple rendering bugs. I loved em.

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
Ive never been sold on bulkheads on most ships unless it's expressly for pvp. With scbs they way they are if you lose your shields you probably don't want to stick around unless you are in a conda or fed ship. I'm also not sure why you want so much cargo space. If this is for fighting you want more scbs. A 3A scoops is also good enough without the extra fuel tanks I find.

Also for class 4 and below I find rank b scbs to be better overall. Not that much of a difference in recharge per use but you get one more charge that more than makes up for the loss per use.

Lunch! Finally! fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 31, 2015

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday
So... After quite some time away from the game I started playing again.

Today after getting a little too cocky bounty hunting in a HazRes with my Clipper I got my rear end roasted. Had to take out the loan for the insurance since I didn't have that much when I started playing again.

Went to a HiRes to do some more hunting with the hope of having some space police serve as a distraction so my glaring incompetence doesn't get me killed again.

On my first target a security Anaconda flies into my lasers and I get tagged for assaulting, he and his buddies hosed me up royally, I escaped, but my life support is leaking, and of course I only had the lovely five minute one installed. Just as I'm about to make it to the station I get interdicted by some shitlord, and got dragged off course enough that I couldn't make it to the station in time. Cant pay for any of this loan and forced me to take the sidewinder.

So am I now stuck in this little shitbox being a space poor again?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Turtle Dad 420 posted:

Today after getting a little too cocky bounty hunting in a HazRes with my Clipper I got my rear end roasted. Had to take out the loan for the insurance since I didn't have that much when I started playing again.

Went to a HiRes to do some more hunting with the hope of having some space police serve as a distraction so my glaring incompetence doesn't get me killed again.

On my first target a security Anaconda flies into my lasers and I get tagged for assaulting, he and his buddies hosed me up royally, I escaped, but my life support is leaking, and of course I only had the lovely five minute one installed. Just as I'm about to make it to the station I get interdicted by some shitlord, and got dragged off course enough that I couldn't make it to the station in time. Cant pay for any of this loan and forced me to take the sidewinder.

That's a whole lot of bad decisions in a row, bud. Yes you are a space poor now. The good news is that making money is a lot easier these days.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Turtle Dad 420 posted:

Try appealing to FDev. Open a ticket, and maybe they'll take pity on you.

Otherwise yes, you're back on square one.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Turtle Dad 420 posted:

Had to take out the loan for the insurance since I didn't have that much when I started playing again.

Went to a HiRes

This is the point where you did A Bad Thing, yes. Not that it matters now, but if you find yourself in that position again your best bet (if you're in a decently-kitted-out combat ship), if you don't have enough money to pay the insurance on it again would have been to:

1. Jump to the nearest High Tech, 50%+ pop space station
2. Downgrade a couple of As to Ds for some liquid capital, and maybe pay off that loan? (I'm not sure how loans work, but 'mortgaging' off a 7A shield gen would get you a cool 50 million in change to work with)
3. Kit out a Cobra or Asp for some solo/private trade/smuggling runs until you're in a comfortable place as far as liquidity goes.

As it stands now, though: yes, you're space poor. At least you still have your ranks to get better missions! And if your rank in everything is super low, at least you have a chance to change your CMDR name for basically-free if you want to!

e: That said, if you E-classed your Life Support because you couldn't afford the 50k to go from E to D, and not because you forgot to hit it in the outfit screen, you may want to avoid making a habit of making just enough money for a ship, buying it, and then using it out of the box-- if you don't have at least double the cost of the base ship at least you're going to end up in a lovely unflyable E-class space potato regardless of what you're buying.

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 31, 2015

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday
Well gently caress...

I guess I'll be taking this as a learning experience. In an eagle now, maybe I can spend some time learning how to not fly like an idiot.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Seriously though, contact support and tell them how it happened because a cop flew in front of you or whatever, by all accounts they are usually pretty accommodating with stuff like this.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I goofed around and updated the iClipper build. I didn't realize that stacking shield boosters would still all run at once.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_clipper/06A6A5A5D6A5D4C0v0v1k1k040404044k052b5e5959542o.AwRj4yrI.EwBhEYy6fO+EA===

Goals:
1. Get as close to 720 tons for maximum maneuverability.
2. Maximize survivability through shield and boosters.
3. Shoot stuff.

Thoughts?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

LCL-Dead posted:

Gonna confirm Libluini on this one.

I was running 2x 560 Ti's in SLI and getting the cube rendering error a lot.
I've since switched/upgraded to a 980 and have not seen a single issue like this, though nebulae will still appear as dark spots against the glow of the galaxy from time to time.

I just have 1 560 ti and have never seen this happen in 90 hours.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I goofed around and updated the iClipper build. I didn't realize that stacking shield boosters would still all run at once.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_clipper/06A6A5A5D6A5D4C0v0v1k1k040404044k052b5e5959542o.AwRj4yrI.EwBhEYy6fO+EA===

Goals:
3. Shoot stuff.

Thoughts?
http://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_clipper/06A6A5A5D6A5D4C0v0v1k1k040404044k055e5e5959532o.AwRj4z2HSA==.EwBhEYy6Z4g=?bn=pew%20pew
More shields less hull.

EDIT: also gimbal the cannons, even the medium hardpoints are so far apart that they have a hard time hitting things.

Astroniomix fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 31, 2015

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Goals:
3. Shoot stuff.

Thoughts?

Drop the hull reinforcement and maybe replace it with a better fuel scoop because 2A is slooooooooooooooooooow. With the iClipper you don't have to worry about armor in general because if you do end up somehow losing all your shields, you can still outrun pretty much anything on boosters alone. I also redid your power settings, it's generally best to switch on SCBs as you need them.

I think I remember seeing a gimmick build that put a fixed C3 beam on one of the wing hardpoints and gimballed pulses on everything else, basically abusing the clipper's ludicrous maneuverability to use the beam as a LASER SWORD and the pulses to snipe subsystems but that's probably not what you're looking for :v:

vvvvvAlso yeah if you run dual pulses you can keep an SCB up while deployed, plus the lower energy usage means you can fire them for basically a whole minute before your capacitor dies.

3 fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 31, 2015

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

If you use pulses instead of beams you can have an scb powerd while your hardpoints are deployed.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
I've got my FAS up to this point and am thinking about getting into reinforced hull next. I figure anti-thermal is the best choice, but how does the resistance work with regards to weapons that deal both thermal and kinetic? And does explosive get any hidden resistance?

e: haha holy poo poo nevermind why is that so expensive? I'd still like to know about the resist mechanics though.

Sard fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 31, 2015

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

Mirrored is generally better but Military is good enough. You should really get A thrusters first though. The fas is super mobile and has amazing pitch and yaw rates. If it werent for the fact the shields were garbage trash and hull tanking wasn't also bad the fas would be an amazing ship for its mobility.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
How come people like the fas? It looks terrible on paper with those shields. Can it armor tank or something?

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

Armor tanking is bad but it makes a good stealth ship. Like I said if it weren't for the garbage shields it would be a very good ship. It has excellent agility and it's hard points are a bit weird but certainly far better than the clipper.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

It moves like a dancer, carries a lot of armour and is relatively fast for its weight.

Oh, and although it's not clipper fast... it still rams like one.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Goals:
3. Shoot stuff.

Thoughts?

This is what I run. If you want to do missions just replace one of the 4A Shield Cells with a Cargo Container.

You don't need kinetic weapons with a Clipper. If they're small your lasers will do just fine. If they're big you just need to ram them with all your pips in SYS.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 31, 2015

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Harvestport a few hours ago in my stealthy ship.

:ssh:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Met posted:

Harvestport a few hours ago in my stealthy ship.

:ssh:

2 scoopy

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So with builds where the batteries are outright disabled, I assume the plan is that you power up a single battery, drain it, and then use the next one?

What about builds where you use multiple shield batteries at once? It seems like it would be less mental hassle to hit it once and regen your entire bank of power.

loving around a bit more this is the build I came up with. Thanks for everyone's input.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So with builds where the batteries are outright disabled, I assume the plan is that you power up a single battery, drain it, and then use the next one?

What about builds where you use multiple shield batteries at once? It seems like it would be less mental hassle to hit it once and regen your entire bank of power.

loving around a bit more this is the build I came up with. Thanks for everyone's input.

That's almost exactly my build. You can power a 4b and a 3b at once, it owns, although you lose quite a bit of sustainability by sacrificing that size 6 slot. Good enough for PVP tho.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Wat

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Uhh

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

For the record, by and large, for combat ships I'd highly recommend a 2A fuel scoop and base from a nearby station, if at all possible. You can swap it out for a bigger one if you need to make a long trip, but since they're worthless in combat, you want to rely more on refueling at starports and have the scoop as a "just in case" deal.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

It's rare that I say "TMI" to a developer, but Frontier? Advertising that an invalid client version footprint can crash other clients in the same system is way, way TMI, hth.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Bought an iClipper. Fitted it out. Boosted out the door. Clipped a guy. 200 credit fine. Turns out I hit the guy so hard he explodes. 4000 credit fine and the station opens fire. My ship blows up before I even hit boost a second time.

Clipper loving owns.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ok I'm finally less than 1,000 light years away from populated space. I left on this journey in july and got a ton of data to sell. Is there anywhere where I'll get more money for it than usual or do you always get the same amount of money for exploration data everywhere?

Definitely getting a different ship and doing something completely different when I'm back. Might try out that asp or vulture. Of course I've been gone for so long that I no longer have any idea what's going on in the game or what any of the numbers mean.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Sure are a lot of people messing up at basic traffic safety and insurance budgeting this week.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Bought an iClipper. Fitted it out. Boosted out the door. Clipped a guy. 200 credit fine. Turns out I hit the guy so hard he explodes. 4000 credit fine and the station opens fire. My ship blows up before I even hit boost a second time.

Clipper loving owns.

Beautiful.

Now go touch scoops with someone.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

This is the most adorable error message I've ever seen. :3:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

It's rare that I say "TMI" to a developer, but Frontier? Advertising that an invalid client version footprint can crash other clients in the same system is way, way TMI, hth.

It's probably just rear end-covering.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
They'd have covered their rear end better if they'd just kept silent or blamed it on the player's hardware, then announced somewhere down the road that it was fixed.

Timespy
Jul 6, 2013

No bond but to do just ones

Hot iClipper action ITT.

Cpt. Murphey
Mar 12, 2007
Wait, titles can have text in them? Well I'll be...
Did somebody say iClippers?

Clicky

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday

AndroidHub posted:

Seriously though, contact support and tell them how it happened because a cop flew in front of you or whatever, by all accounts they are usually pretty accommodating with stuff like this.

Update: Opened up a ticket last night explaining my idiocy.

In the meantime I found a station handing out some good missions, and got myself a diamondback scout and have been really enjoying this little ship. I've Been running more missions with it and doing some minor scavenging and smuggling cargo from Res sites, nearly got it kitted out completely.

Woke up this morning to a response from support. The dude was basically like "lol yeah man, that sucks, lemme help you out." So they reimbursed me the cost of the clipper.

I've been having so much fun in the scout, I think I may just go buy the clipper real quick and store it while I make a little nest egg so I don't get hosed over again.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Ok I'm finally less than 1,000 light years away from populated space. I left on this journey in july and got a ton of data to sell. Is there anywhere where I'll get more money for it than usual or do you always get the same amount of money for exploration data everywhere?

Definitely getting a different ship and doing something completely different when I'm back. Might try out that asp or vulture. Of course I've been gone for so long that I no longer have any idea what's going on in the game or what any of the numbers mean.

You could sell it at 63. G Capricorni's skvortsov orbital and make goons richer, but I have no idea how that would affect the BGS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Turtle Dad 420 posted:

Update: Opened up a ticket last night explaining my idiocy.

In the meantime I found a station handing out some good missions, and got myself a diamondback scout and have been really enjoying this little ship. I've Been running more missions with it and doing some minor scavenging and smuggling cargo from Res sites, nearly got it kitted out completely.

Woke up this morning to a response from support. The dude was basically like "lol yeah man, that sucks, lemme help you out." So they reimbursed me the cost of the clipper.

I've been having so much fun in the scout, I think I may just go buy the clipper real quick and store it while I make a little nest egg so I don't get hosed over again.

If you like the scout, you should do yourself a favor and check out a cobra. A little less agile, but the extra and bigger internal slots means it's fantastic for a lot of things.

• Locked thread