Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Bobnumerotres posted:

very few games hold a candle 2 the holy grail of gaming that is MP1. MP2 is good but full of weird poo poo like dumbass backtracking segments, and while the music is really good the areas are devoid of life or anything interesting until like the last 30% of the game when you get to the ghost in the shell cyberpunk city

metroid prime 3 just loving nags you constantly with story and tutorial poo poo, and also has a pretty bizarre backtracking quest

i liked the cyberpunk place in 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

SM64Guy posted:

i liked the cyberpunk place in 3

i motherfucking LOVE everything about 3 except pretty much every scene where there's voice acting and getting calls from Good Mother Brain every 5 loving minutes telling you what to do

i mean, i guess they felt pressured to swing in a new direction because metroid games dont do well commercially and they figured "well people must not like it because they feel lost so let's hold the player's hand" but they took it too far. the hint system in 1 was the perfect balance of letting you explore and guiding you in a general direction

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Prime 3 has one of the best moments in the series when you listen to the Aura Unit log where it gets taken over by phaze. The whole derelict cruiser part was tense

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

MP3 gets unfairly shat on. It could do without a lot of the dumb talky/story bits and it's pretty linear but it has some really fun fights and set pieces

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

frank.club posted:

Prime 3 has one of the best moments in the series when you listen to the Aura Unit log where it gets taken over by phaze. The whole derelict cruiser part was tense

the abandoned ship in 3 was genius. it looked loving cool, it grew more and more infested with metroids and space poo poo as you progressed through the game, and while you only needed a couple of not-artifacts to progress to the finale, you needed to find them all to get to that secret room with that log and get the final missile upgrade

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

some of the puzzles to get the secret optional power cells were loving crazy too, some of the best parts of the game

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

All 3 Primes have a ton of backtracking, and it only really bothers me in 3 because of the ship cutscenes. The Sky Temple key quest is exactly the same as the Artifact quest in 1, down to the fact that you can pick most of the keys/artifacts way before you need them. Hell, I enjoy both quests because they test your knowledge of the game world. Treasure hunting is fun.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Evil Eagle posted:

All 3 Primes have a ton of backtracking, and it only really bothers me in 3 because of the ship cutscenes. The Sky Temple key quest is exactly the same as the Artifact quest in 1, down to the fact that you can pick most of the keys/artifacts way before you need them. Hell, I enjoy both quests because they test your knowledge of the game world. Treasure hunting is fun.

i feel the artifact quest is handled even better in 2 because the final upgrade, on top of being a really badass suit, lets you teleport between the worlds and take a bunch of new shortcuts that make exploring a lot smoother.

mp3, yeah, the main problem was the huge load screens. its def better on the wii but youre still staring at samus' ship a lot

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The boss battles in 2 are indeed quite sick, and I love the dark world sanctuary, my favorite location in the prime trilogy

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

MP1: +nearly the perfect video game
-its really easy once you figure out all the enemies and bosses are dumb as hell, there are some spots that still gently caress me up to this day though

MP2: +a lot harder than MP1 +sky sanctuary loving rules +some of the sickest boss fights in gaming
-first half of the game is p dull -dumb fetch quest thrown in the middle of the final act

MP3: +beautiful +best game combat-wise
-constant nagging -big load times - elysia is the worst area to explore in any metroid game, its built like a loving maze and even the map is confusing

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Quadraxis fight is cool. And the cutscene leading up to the last dark samus fight is on of the sickest moments in games

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Or the part at the end when the Lumoth thank Samus for saving their planet and she just peaces em out over the shoulder

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

My favorite part personally is her action scanning to open a light world portal near the end. It's awesome.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I probably missed something but when I was hunting down Sky Temple keys I didn't see any indication of which clues I already had the keys for, except by writing down the weirdo mothman names and cross-referencing those with my inventory. Or something like that, it was notetaking and a lot of menu navigation. Otherwise I didn't mind the key/artifact hunts but they definitely weren't my favorite parts either.

Bobnumerotres posted:

the final upgrade, on top of being a really badass suit, lets you teleport between the worlds
wait WHAT??

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ralp cmon it tells you you can use the suit to teleport

Evil Eagle posted:

My favorite part personally is her action scanning to open a light world portal near the end. It's awesome.

I'm sitting here remembering cutscenes and nodding at how fully sick they are

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

metroid prime 2 was cool but getting so damaged in the dark world didn't allow me to explore it properly for the first half of the game at least, and I like taking my time to explore and enjoy the surroundings in the Metroid Prime series

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh between zones you mean. I thought it meant she could freely pass between dark world and light world.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

my favorite moment out of all the primes is when you walk out into the sunlight in the middle of the hidden pirate base in MP1 and get attacked by jetpack troops for the first time, and its just a gauntlet w/ waves and waves of pirates with that awesome pirate theme blaring, everything blowing up and full of lasers. it really looked spectacular in 02 and its still awesome

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've heard people complain about the dark world just being lazy level design but I liked it a lot, I get lost easily when exploring so it was helpful and fun to be like, "oh this is the same as the other room... but the platform is gone this time. Hmm..!" Instead of "Well here is a completely new room, where am I supposed to go first?' all the time.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdebQ-y15Dg

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

i like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuPJm2XQT0A

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This music used to freak me out so hard. I played prime 1 on a little tv in my room that was kinda too dark so some of the areas in drifts were scary. Whenever the little intro hit I would always get scared lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the thermal vision scene in mp1 was the first time my dad looked at a game i was playing and said "woah thats cool as gently caress, did i buy you this game?"

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

the thermal vision scene in mp1 was the first time my dad looked at a game i was playing and said "woah thats cool as gently caress, did i buy you this game?"

did he?

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Bobnumerotres posted:

This was Summoner on PS2 for me

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
Now my dad plays New Super Mario Bros on his DS

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
my mom thought all the people in tony hawk were fake and all the people in ssx were real

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

a friend lent it to me, but he liked watching me play it so much he bought me 2 for christmas ;)

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

he still refers to it as "el juego con las chochas que vuelan" (the game with the flying pussies, in reference to metroids)

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Bobnumerotres posted:

It took my dad 2 weeks to beat metroid prime and on the winning attempt he was so excited the dog thought he was calling it

The dog ran over and stepped on the GameCube reset button trying to get to him

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
my dad has and probably still can kick my rear end at mortal kombat trilogy

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Doctor Goat posted:

It took my dad 2 weeks to beat metroid prime and on the winning attempt he was so excited the dog thought he was calling it

The dog ran over and stepped on the GameCube reset button trying to get to him

Lol

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

I forgot I had fusion on my ds from that free Nintendo deal years ago and started it today. It's good but I really suck at the 2d metroids

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

a friend lent it to me, but he liked watching me play it so much he bought me 2 for christmas ;)

awesome

Bobnumerotres posted:

he still refers to it as "el juego con las chochas que vuelan" (the game with the flying pussies, in reference to metroids)

your dad rules lmao

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Bolverkur posted:

your dad rules lmao

hes really chill, and im glad he financially supported my love of metroid :)

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Bobnumerotres posted:

i have a shirt with a metroid on it and my mom asked if i had a pussy on my shirt when she saw it

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

i've never thought a metroid looks anything like a pussy, but now that you mention it, hell, i'd gently caress it

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

Lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

metroids are extremely vaginal, i know because ive hosed one before.

e: a vagina i mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

farsel
Aug 4, 2007

i played prime 2 for the first time this year on the wii u and i liked it more than i was expecting having heard people talk about it before. i thought it was kool that it felt distinct from the first prime in terms of how the beam upgrades work, light + dark world and a way better scanning system. mind you the overall level design made backtracking later through the game more of an annoyance, it felt like the first prime had better areas for getting from one spot to the other quickly imo.

ive played prime 1 twice this year, with a 100% on my gc copy. started 3 twice but i can't really get into it quite yet for some reason.

• Locked thread