Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Ambaire posted:

As a newbie, how long are these cutscenes? And can I view them later somewhere? Should I feel bad about saying that I'm new and I'd like to see them even if it takes up 5 extra minutes or whatever?

The cutscenes are a good 2-3 minutes long each, and total about as long as the rest of the dungeons take. You can view all of them later in the inn, there's a diary in your room that lets you replay cutscenes.

If you can get even two or three level 60 friends to help you you can easily undersize it and see both the cutscenes and the bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Authentic post release Praetorium newbie experience is staying behind to watch the first cutscene only to watch all of them in a row and fight some bosses between and being really confused.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Best option for CM/Prae: get some buddies, run it (undersized/uncapped if you don't have 8 people), watch cutscenes and fight bosses. Maybe queue up again in future to run it normally and get a slightly better feel for what it's like at-level (although in all likelihood everyone will still massively overgear it, even capped at 50).

Backup option flavor A: queue up in duty finder, skip cutscenes but fight bosses (without context), later go to your inn room and replay cutscenes to get context. Maybe run again in future to fight bosses again now that you know the context.

Backup option flavor B: queue up in duty finder, watch all cutscenes, get locked out of most boss fights (if the group's really fast, you'll just get nonstop cutscenes without getting a chance to even move). Maybe run again in future to actually fight the encounters themselves.

Neither of the backup options is particularly great, which is why the best option is recommended for actually getting something resembling the intended experience there. S-E learned from the community behavior surrounding these dungeons, and nothing else has a shitload of long cutscenes mid-dungeon interrupting the flow like those two do. (Closest is the final dungeon for Heavensward, and that's just got a slightly longer opener cutscene before the last boss, and then an extra cutscene - also not too long - between the first and second phase of that boss. Nothing too egregious.)

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

when I first did Praetorium the rest of the group killed everything and left while I just watched the cutscenes. That message about the instance auto-closing came up during the last one.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Vil posted:

Neither of the backup options is particularly great, which is why the best option is recommended for actually getting something resembling the intended experience there. S-E learned from the community behavior surrounding these dungeons, and nothing else has a shitload of long cutscenes mid-dungeon interrupting the flow like those two do. (Closest is the final dungeon for Heavensward, and that's just got a slightly longer opener cutscene before the last boss, and then an extra cutscene - also not too long - between the first and second phase of that boss. Nothing too egregious.)

I always wondered if there was a way to edit the CM/Prae cutscenes to remove or mitigate the issue. Probably way more effort than it's worth.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

SirPhoebos posted:

I always wondered if there was a way to edit the CM/Prae cutscenes to remove or mitigate the issue. Probably way more effort than it's worth.

Flag them as unskippable, problem solved.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

kafziel posted:

then no one would run them. the only reason people run them now is because it's a fast roulette to level alts and there's no possible bonus other than maybe a guaranteed level and a free blowjob that could be provided to make people do it otherwise

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Robviously posted:

Eventually we'll have Rowana, Rowena, Rowina, Rowona, and Rowuna. Sometimes Rowyna shows up randomly in the shop.

Just missing Ravana.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

kafziel posted:

Or just don't put cutscenes in the middle of a dungeon like that.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

KaneTW posted:

Just missing Ravana.

BLING DROOPING DOWN DOWN TO MY FULLERS
AND BLING DROOPING DOWN TO MY HANDS
BLING DROOPING DOWN TO HYDAELYN
I CAN BARELY STAND

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Solution: add Aetherochem Research Facility to EXDR, set the BGM volume to full and lock it there while in ARF

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Prop Wash posted:

Solution: add Aetherochem Research Facility to EXDR, set the BGM volume to full and lock it there while in ARF

And then I would just AFK in pvp even more to get eso. Sounds good.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

kafziel posted:

Castrum and Praetorium cutscenes were the number 1 culprit for people demanding cutscene skipping in the game. Making them unskippable again would literally defeat the purpose.

It also can't really be fixed but SE learned their lesson and only have pre and post dungeon cutscenes now.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Gaudia posted:

Okay this all makes sense, thanks. I'll have to work on my old i100 character to be part of the cool people again.

If you meant the old world hunts, those are super extra dead.

Wonder Turbine
Sep 22, 2011

Probably the best way to fix CM/Prae would be to make it soloable, either by severely nerfing the trash/bosses or by adding in some AI companions to help you through them. Some of the 3.0 solo instances have some NPCs following you around and helping you fight things, so I'm hoping the dev team's making good progress on that front.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

Castrum and Praetorium cutscenes were the number 1 culprit for people demanding cutscene skipping in the game. Making them unskippable again would literally defeat the purpose.

It also can't really be fixed but SE learned their lesson and only have pre and post dungeon cutscenes now.

Holy poo poo, cutscenes used to be unskippable?

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Sarrisan posted:

Holy poo poo, cutscenes used to be unskippable?

Cutscenes were always skippable, the only related thing they've added in a patch is the option to auto-skip cutscenes you've already seen.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

fount of knowledge posted:

Cutscenes were always skippable, the only related thing they've added in a patch is the option to auto-skip cutscenes you've already seen.

I hear so many horror stories about 1.0 that nothing surprises me anymore.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

fount of knowledge posted:

That's right. Not having Auto Skip usually had people be left behind because of latency with loading cutscenes and then unloading them. Some people even dc'd while doing so.

Auto Skip is a good change.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Holyshoot posted:

And then I would just AFK in pvp even more to get eso. Sounds good.

Given how absurdly paranoid people are about the thought of someone doing PVP "just for tomes" I wonder how the hell you manage to do that. Hell, you can get kicked for being "AFK" just because you got killed and therefore couldn't move for a few seconds.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Even with autoskip, the screen going fully dark for 2 seconds is really annoying.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Xenoveritas posted:

Given how absurdly paranoid people are about the thought of someone doing PVP "just for tomes" I wonder how the hell you manage to do that. Hell, you can get kicked for being "AFK" just because you got killed and therefore couldn't move for a few seconds.
I do pvp just for tomes, die constantly, never get a kill, and haven't gotten kicked even once. Just walk around and look like you're "helping"!

(doesn't help my only 60 is blm and I have no idea what to do to actually hit someone with a spell)

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I do pvp just for tomes, die constantly, never get a kill, and haven't gotten kicked even once. Just walk around and look like you're "helping"!

(doesn't help my only 60 is blm and I have no idea what to do to actually hit someone with a spell)

If you're interested in improving, Vespyria's post on BLM here might be able to help you out. Sharpcast Thunder 3 is super powerful for letting you contribute damage, and attacking tanks is way better than not getting a cast off at all (especially since you do more damage to them than to healers)

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Xenoveritas posted:

Had no idea this was a thing until I saw it like an hour ago. Maelstrom was getting its rear end handed to it and one person went off about how "it's the weekend, all eso farmers in this group."

Haven't seen anyone get kicked who wasn't actually idling though. I kind of appreciate the vigilance there because gently caress anyone who does nothing while the rest of the crew busts their rear end.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Niton posted:

If you're interested in improving, Vespyria's post on BLM here might be able to help you out. Sharpcast Thunder 3 is super powerful for letting you contribute damage, and attacking tanks is way better than not getting a cast off at all (especially since you do more damage to them than to healers)
Huh, I wouldn't have thought of Thunder 3. Yeah, that makes way more sense than what I was doing. Might as well not be useless if I'm going to pvp for eso!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Wonder Turbine posted:

Probably the best way to fix CM/Prae would be to make it soloable, either by severely nerfing the trash/bosses or by adding in some AI companions to help you through them. Some of the 3.0 solo instances have some NPCs following you around and helping you fight things, so I'm hoping the dev team's making good progress on that front.

Rip off the pawn system from Dragon's Dogma and let us take our retainers/hire other player's retainers to go into dungeons. I'm positive AI is better then most chucklefucks that I run into in DF.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Leal posted:

Rip off the pawn system from Dragon's Dogma and let us take our retainers/hire other player's retainers to go into dungeons. I'm positive AI is better then most chucklefucks that I run into in DF.

Only if the pawn comments come along, too.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Coughing Hobo posted:

Must needs aught, master.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Probably the coolest fix for Prae/Castrum would be to work the cutscenes into the regular interactive parts somehow, since a bunch of them are like "oh poo poo look an airship!" or some other relatively minor thing, maybe even introducing a forced camera pan kind of thing that doesn't exist right now. Maybe even add voicework for like, Cid yelling about things kind of like they have in the new 3.0 dungeon bosses.

It might also be PS3 Limitations, as some of them are excuses to load scenes after they blow up something or whatever, so after dropping ps3 support they could probably just have that happen right in front of you.

All of this would be fairly expensive though so it'd probably have to be tied in to some kind of storyline that brought you back to those places so these improvements are part of some work they're doing to the areas anyway for Castrum (Hard) or something.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Leal posted:

Hell, I dunno if it's a new thing but I see plenty of bots in Sastasha the past few weeks, and some of them are perfectly capable of MTing the dungeon. If the dps bots just /followed the tank rather than running ahead I wouldn't even care.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Coughing Hobo posted:

And we could climb all over the larger monsters.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

Leal posted:

Square Enix already does this in Dragon Quest X, and I'm surprised it hasn't cross polinated over to XIV yet.

Basically, in DQX when you go offline, you can put your character up on a market board to rent out to other adventurers to make a party of 4. And when you log back on, you get a share of the gold when you were out adventuring! This system is too good for this world.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero

Fancy Hat! posted:

Square Enix already does this in Dragon Quest X, and I'm surprised it hasn't cross polinated over to XIV yet.

Basically, in DQX when you go offline, you can put your character up on a market board to rent out to other adventurers to make a party of 4. And when you log back on, you get a share of the gold when you were out adventuring! This system is too good for this world.

That sounds like the Roaming Warrior system from Final Fantasy Record Keeper too.

As far as cutscenes go, I sort of would like to watch them in dungeons that I"m new to, but I realize I'm probably too late to the game, and that watching them would just get me votekicked by 'gotta-go-fast' types, so I don't watch them. This was actually a problem in SWTOR too, where people want you to skip dialogue and just get to the LS/DS choices in flashpoints, until they introduced a solo-mode for the story heavy flashpoints recently. Maybe FFXIV can do something like that?

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Other than the abovementioned two Main Scenario dungeons, none of the other dungeons in the game have cutscenes long enough to significantly disrupt the time it takes to finish, so go ahead and watch them.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Other than castrum and praetorium, the only time I've seen people get mad about cutscene watching is when a new person to a trial had the bad luck of ending up in a light farming party. And light farming isn't relevant anymore, so it shouldn't happen now.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Colgate posted:

As far as cutscenes go, I sort of would like to watch them in dungeons that I"m new to, but I realize I'm probably too late to the game, and that watching them would just get me votekicked by 'gotta-go-fast' types, so I don't watch them. This was actually a problem in SWTOR too, where people want you to skip dialogue and just get to the LS/DS choices in flashpoints, until they introduced a solo-mode for the story heavy flashpoints recently. Maybe FFXIV can do something like that?

Watch cutscenes, they're only at the beginning and end of stuff. They can't kick you at the beginning and at the end you're done. There's a couple of cutscenes before final bosses that are a couple minutes but if anyone kicks you by that point report them and get their rear end banned.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I chose a female human for my first and so far only character, and I think one thing that I really like about FFXIV compared to other titles like Tera or Wow is that I haven't seen any slutplate, boobplate or chainmail bikinis so far in leveling gear. It's all functional clothing and armor that happens to look good at the same time. I mean, check out this screenshot of my level 40 warrior gear. Sure, the chestplate is slightly rounded to allow for female anatomy, but it's not grossly so. It's as if the creators of FFXIV actually respect women rather than seeing them as objects to be exploited.

And this one of lvl30 White Mage gear. Again, realistic clothing.

And level 30 Armorer.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Look forward to the bondage gear you get from the level 44 dungeon

Edit: but it's just as skimpy on men, at least

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Haven't seen any subligars yet I take it?

Though even for the skimpy armors, they all look pretty similar on men and women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Also level 45 WHM.

• Locked thread