Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Renoistic posted:

Thanks! Does the season pass come with anything else or just the current and future story DLC? Because otherwise it's definitely not worth the asking price!

That's all. It was priced at the cumulative cost of the base game and both expansions at release price, so if you were confident that you wanted to play it all on day one it made sense (and this is one of the very few, perhaps only, franchises where you could be so sure), but now that the base game has been out for a while and can be had for cheaper, it's not a reasonable choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Renoistic posted:

Thanks! Does the season pass come with anything else or just the current and future story DLC? Because otherwise it's definitely not worth the asking price!

It's worth the money even if the expansion pass had zero content. CDPR deserves all your money! All of it!

But for reals just get the game. You're still getting the game plus 16 pieces of free DLC. The expansion is high level content so you can easily get over 100 hours of game before needing/wanting to play any expansions.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Experienced some wonkiness with Fool's Gold (unlikable level -1 bandits, teleporting bandits, randomly spawning bandits, triggers from a quest I hadn't started yet). I presume it's one of the free dlc missions?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Is it just me or is Hearts of Stone a good bit longer than the advertised 10 hours? I guess it makes sense given that the base game was a lot bigger than the advertised 100 hours for a completionist playthrough.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Experienced some wonkiness with Fool's Gold (unlikable level -1 bandits, teleporting bandits, randomly spawning bandits, triggers from a quest I hadn't started yet). I presume it's one of the free dlc missions?

Yep.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Sharmat posted:

Is it just me or is Hearts of Stone a good bit longer than the advertised 10 hours? I guess it makes sense given that the base game was a lot bigger than the advertised 100 hours for a completionist playthrough.

It was like 7 hours for me so no. Maybe 8 hours after I explored all the unknown locations on the map.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Geralt is able to drink water while underwater. Probably something you learn in Witcher school.

You can also pay a merchant to break down a jug full of water into just a plain old jug. Heres a dollar pour my water out.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It was like 7 hours for me so no. Maybe 8 hours after I explored all the unknown locations on the map.

Seems like I always end up taking longer with these things than most goons.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Whatever happened to Foltest's daughter? I carried the same save from W1 through Hearts of Stone and there's no mention of the striga princess that's married to Radovid.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
She's presumably still around, it just doesn't come up.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

It definitely took me more than 10 hours but I had all question marks from the main game uncovered so I could immediately see where the new stuff was and the expansion even added 2 locations near Novigrad so uncovering that all definitely added up. I also redid some of the main expansion missions a couple of times to see the differences of choices.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Finally finished the game after 12 days worth of playtime.

Question - is it intentional that the title card just before the ending illustrations is in Polish? I thought that was pretty cool...

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
So that guy that Olgierd wanted to execute when they set that estate on fire, I fought Olgierd and had him spare him. Does this come up later at any point at all or did I do that for no reason other than a boss fight?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Lareine posted:

So that guy that Olgierd wanted to execute when they set that estate on fire, I fought Olgierd and had him spare him. Does this come up later at any point at all or did I do that for no reason other than a boss fight?

I don't remember any callbacks to it, no. There very well might be some.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

ZeeBoi posted:

Finally finished the game after 12 days worth of playtime.

Question - is it intentional that the title card just before the ending illustrations is in Polish? I thought that was pretty cool...

I think it's a bug. I've had some tooltips show up in polish with a [PL] tag on item descriptions (the crazy professor's house key in HoS)

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

This guy is carefully hammering a nail into the air in front of him.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Just finished the expansion. Perfect for a Halloween night. I beat the Caretaker and Iris in one try each on Death March so no one is allowed to complain about them. Well, maybe Iris, since one major difficulty of her fight is unintended. The game doesn't treat the portraits as enemies so it's hard to retarget and hit them before she gets 20,000 HP back.

The whole story was excellent, though I'd have preferred a bit more ties to the main plot. Yen and Ciri got a few lines each about Geralt being in bondage to the devil.

I chose to go all the way, take the risk, and banish the Man of Glass. As horrible a person as he was, I couldn't help but pity Olgierd, and I'm not sure anyone deserves what ever Gaunter was likely planning on doing with him. That whole endgame area is very eerie. I have to wonder what it's like if Geralt just goes along with O'Dimm though.

I don't know how I'm going to wait for Blood and Wine, as incredible as this short expansion was.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

This guy is carefully hammering a nail into the air in front of him.

I had that exact same thing happen in my game.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The Sharmat posted:

Just finished the expansion. Perfect for a Halloween night. I beat the Caretaker and Iris in one try each on Death March so no one is allowed to complain about them. Well, maybe Iris, since one major difficulty of her fight is unintended. The game doesn't treat the portraits as enemies so it's hard to retarget and hit them before she gets 20,000 HP back.
I don't get people who say those fights are difficult, my problem with them is that they are extremely loving boring even compared to the main story ones and Iris fight is additionally janky. Huge health sponges that you have to attack the same way over and over again, yawn. The frog fight, the mage fight and the fight against multiple Olgierds were the good ones imo, the other ones suffered either from being needlessly tedious or forcing you to fight against the game's technical problems rather than the bosses themselves.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Nov 1, 2015

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Palpek posted:

I don't get people who say those fights are difficult, my problem with them is that they are extremely loving boring even compared to the main story ones and Iris fight is additionally janky. Huge health sponges that you have to attack the same way over and over again, yawn. The frog fight, the mage fight and the fight against multiple Olgierds were the good ones imo, the other ones suffered either from being needlessly tedious or forcing you to fight against the game's technical problems rather than the bosses themselves.

Hah, the three you listed were my least favourite ones that I found extremely tedious. The others were easy and I beat them on my first try in ng+ DM.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
700 XP shy of being able to equip Viper armour and all I have left to do is trash.

Oh well.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Riso posted:

700 XP shy of being able to equip Viper armour and all I have left to do is trash.

Oh well.

yeah same experience. cdpr went overboard on how complicated their gear system is. if you need to gather supplies just make the supplies you need the limiter on using the item. instead you've also got level req's, you've got to know a high enough level smith to make the item not be crap, etc. shits crazy in need of streamlining.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

yeah same experience. cdpr went overboard on how complicated their gear system is. if you need to gather supplies just make the supplies you need the limiter on using the item. instead you've also got level req's, you've got to know a high enough level smith to make the item not be crap, etc. shits crazy in need of streamlining.

Wait, do crafted witcher gear items vary in stats by quality of smith? How does that work? Cumulative in any way?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

pmchem posted:

Wait, do crafted witcher gear items vary in stats by quality of smith? How does that work? Cumulative in any way?

i never really looked too deeply into it but when you ask a regular lovely smith to make something there are a lot of red numbers next to the item stats before you give the final ok. i assumed that was because he couldn't do the piece justice.

someone please correct me if i'm wrong

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Red means can't do.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKfcU8cm1UU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I still have Gaunter's loving theme song stuck in my head.

Palpek posted:

I really enjoyed the Caretaker. It's just Iris that I feel needs work.

Also I guess I skipped a bossfight early in the game because I didn't give a poo poo if Olgierd had one of his human trash bandits beheaded. What's that one like?

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

Not to mention the implications of the system: Geralt somehow cannot wear armour or wield swords if he isn't experienced enough. He never shares his schematics or potion recipes with his fellow witchers. Between games he forgets all he has learned in the previous one and throws away the great gear he collected. Various ores and other materials needed for crafting cannot be purchased for any price unless Geralt is high enough level, thus demonstrating that the entire economy revolves around him.

There was also the quest where the psychotic Cat school witcher tells Geralt that he was offered a measly twelve crowns for killing a leshen, which barely covered his expenses for potions. One can only assume that Geralt does not play by the same economic rules as the NPCs, otherwise the Cat could have earned far more than that by collecting random loot and selling it to merchants.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Level less systems, CDPR. Learn to make them and love them.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

The Sharmat posted:

I really enjoyed the Caretaker. It's just Iris that I feel needs work.

Also I guess I skipped a bossfight early in the game because I didn't give a poo poo if Olgierd had one of his human trash bandits beheaded. What's that one like?

Yeah Caretaker was just a bit of a slog on DM, Iris needs her paintings targetable. Whirl solved that for me though.

The first Olgierd fight was pretty similar to the later Iris' Worst Fear fight against multiple Olgierd wraiths, I think. Just one Olgierd, he comes at you with his saber and hits really loving hard if he connects, teleports. I didn't think it was particularly hard, don't let him hit you.

Edit: scale back Caretaker's HP and I'd say even buff his damage or attack speed so he goes down faster but is a little more engaging in attack patterns. Iris needs her paintings targetable as enemies so you can reliably hit them.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 1, 2015

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Kopijeger posted:

Not to mention the implications of the system: Geralt somehow cannot wear armour or wield swords if he isn't experienced enough. He never shares his schematics or potion recipes with his fellow witchers. Between games he forgets all he has learned in the previous one and throws away the great gear he collected. Various ores and other materials needed for crafting cannot be purchased for any price unless Geralt is high enough level, thus demonstrating that the entire economy revolves around him.

There was also the quest where the psychotic Cat school witcher tells Geralt that he was offered a measly twelve crowns for killing a leshen, which barely covered his expenses for potions. One can only assume that Geralt does not play by the same economic rules as the NPCs, otherwise the Cat could have earned far more than that by collecting random loot and selling it to merchants.

Cat school bro would be better off as an itinerant broken rake salesman.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

The Sharmat posted:

He has the same moveset as the greatest fear fight. It's just boring because he has a million HP so it takes five minutes of doing the same thing over and over to whittle him down.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Another economy thing: Considering how big Kaer Morhen is, how did the Wolf School finance its construction and upkeep back in their heyday? Did they have lands of their own with peasants toiling for their mutant masters? It is also strange that the outside world has apparently forgotten where it is, you'd think someone might be interested in taking over the fortress and use it for their own purposes.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The fortress is on the rear end end of Kaedwen and totally useless for power projection. The Wolf School itself was backed by a cabal of mages that created the witchers and financed the school.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The Sharmat posted:

Do you play the Polish or English version of the game? I found the Polish kids' version best for some reason.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I don't speak Polish so English. I thought the song was creepy as gently caress.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Also for people interested in the origins of the expansion's story: it has a lot in common with an old Polish legend of Mr. Twardowski where not only Olgierd and parts of his story resemble him but the Devil in the legend is also called Mr. Mirrory and in the final showdown the Devil tricks Twardowski into a meeting in an inn called Rome as the pact stated they would have to meet in Rome to finish the deal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_Twardowski

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I finished the game and DLC. Didn't go get all the PoIs in skelegah, because gently caress sailing and diving for everything, it's a pain in the rear end. Much better how wind waker did that aspect.

127 hours, according to steam.

That ending was super unsatisfying though.

What is the white frost? heat death of the universe? did ciri fix it? how did she fix it if so?

If I had known that showing the emperor his daughter was going to lead her to be empress, I would have ignored the dad so she could be a witcher with geralt.

I also would have liked to have my cake and eat it too, having nilfgard fail, emyr die, but roche and ves in command of temeria.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 1, 2015

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Which ending did you get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The one where Ciri is emperor, but temeria is a child state or w/e