Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Just downloaded and played the 1960's TV Series pack and wow...that was actually fun. It was nice riding on the sets that were iconic to the TV show, but the handling on the Batmobile was a bit of a pain to pull off, but it was still great to drive in. The way the blockades are used were a little interesting and were tedious at times but I'm okay with that. Overall it was a decent pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
So can I recapture Man-Bat, or is that it?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Dogen posted:

So can I recapture Man-Bat, or is that it?

I think he's gone for good.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Not sure if WB can induce other retailers to take refunds on the game or they'll do it themselves but apparently for the PC version they'll refund it regardless of how long you played the game, as long as you refund it by the end of the year.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/208650/announcements/detail/128710596369779495

quote:

We are very sorry that many our customers continue to be unhappy with the PC version of Batman: Arkham Knight. We worked hard to get the game to live up to the standard you deserve but understand that many of you are still experiencing issues.

Until the end of 2015, we will be offering a full refund on Batman: Arkham Knight PC, regardless of how long you have played the product. You can also return the Season Pass along with the main game (but not separately). For those of you that hold onto the game, we are going to continue to address the issues that we can fix and talk to you about the issues that we cannot fix.

Thank you,

Warner Bros Interactive Entertainment
I think they just admit this is a lost cause.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

quote:

talk to you about the issues that we cannot fix.

:psyduck:

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

i.e. code for 'there will be no more patches, gently caress you'

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
welp

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The impression I get is that Arkham Knight is basically held together with duct tape and the only reason it's passable on consoles is because they didn't have to worry about different configurations. Which matches the rumors from earlier in the year.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

So basically the console version was also a pile of crap from the beginning as well?

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

Scyantific posted:

So basically the console version was also a pile of crap from the beginning as well?

The rumor was the PS4 version was actually complete garbage until shortly before release, with the game running at single digits most of the time. I don't know what magic they pulled out of their rear end to fix it, but I guess it isn't going to happen on PC. I wonder if the steamOS and linux versions are going to be any better.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Scyantific posted:

That is supposedly the reason for the massive delay.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
After Nvidia came out a bit ago and started bragging on how they were instrumental to fixing the game, is there talk of a new AK Game Ready driver that could maaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe help things?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

redbackground posted:

After Nvidia came out a bit ago and started bragging on how they were instrumental to fixing the game, is there talk of a new AK Game Ready driver that could maaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe help things?

(hahaha)^68

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Well what do you know...5 months later and it still doesn't work. Looks like the PC port was already doomed from the start...and no way in hell the Mac and Linux versions are gonna fare any better...let alone slightly decent.

Edit: I was trying to think of a Long Halloween joke about this update, but I'm not smart enough to brush up on my Batman trivia.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Well, uhh... maybe they mean directly?

Edit: LOL

Floor is lava fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 31, 2015

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
So as someone else pointed out, you cannot request a refund of the Season Pass if you bought it separately. I got Arkham Knight free with a GeForce card, so as much as I dislike it, I'm not going to demand money back for something I got for free. But I did buy the Season Pass and have been trying to get a refund for it since it became clear that the content wasn't going to be released in the originally planned time frame. Problem was, the base game did work well enough that I put in over 2 hours, so Steam wouldn't ever let me get a refund on the Season Pass. Now, even when offering refunds, they're still shafting people who ponied up money for the Season Pass upfront.

I honestly can't understand how this got so bad that they're just straight up refunding it 4 months out.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

l33t b4c0n posted:

I got Arkham Knight free with a GeForce card, so as much as I dislike it, I'm not going to demand money back for something I got for free.
You can't even do that I thought? If you navigate via the help pages to Batman Arkham Knight retail it won't give you an option to refund it.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
I was speaking more ideologically that actually logistically - I know Steam prevents that. If you read the angry swarms of comments on Steam though , I've seen many people demanding refunds even for getting it free with a video card. I've been pissed about this game since launch, but I also understand I got the base game for free so I really can't feel entitled to anything.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Junior Jr. posted:

Well what do you know...5 months later and it still doesn't work. Looks like the PC port was already doomed from the start...and no way in hell the Mac and Linux versions are gonna fare any better...let alone slightly decent.

Edit: I was trying to think of a Long Halloween joke about this update, but I'm not smart enough to brush up on my Batman trivia. This PC port is a holiday killer.

You can thank me later.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

l33t b4c0n posted:

I was speaking more ideologically that actually logistically - I know Steam prevents that. If you read the angry swarms of comments on Steam though , I've seen many people demanding refunds even for getting it free with a video card. I've been pissed about this game since launch, but I also understand I got the base game for free so I really can't feel entitled to anything.

It's still a hosed game either way and I don't think WB ever wanted to be this literal about this being how the batman dies because I don't think even one or two very good games can dig any potential future of this franchise out of the Knight hole they've buried themselves in. Even Unity eventually fixed itself to a stable yet boring form.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arkham Knight has the advantage over Unity of having a solid set of console ports so it doesn't quite have the same audience-wreckage as that. It's still going to make people real cautious about Arkham Universe or whatever comes next.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Xeremides posted:

The rumor was the PS4 version was actually complete garbage until shortly before release, with the game running at single digits most of the time. I don't know what magic they pulled out of their rear end to fix it, but I guess it isn't going to happen on PC. I wonder if the steamOS and linux versions are going to be any better.

Talking about console versions specifically, the game wasn't going to hit a late 2014 release no way no how unless you wanted a Unity-style shitshow. It got delayed, and now it runs basically perfectly on consoles. There's nothing substantial to the rumor of "Arkham Knight barely functions on consoles!" and saying such is basically just putting a spin on "at one point, this video game in development was still in development." (see also: recent No Man's Sky rumors.) The explanation of "well it ran like poo poo until last minute changes!" actually makes way less sense.

The infinitely more likely scenario is that Rocksteady made a perfectly fine console game, WB outsourced the port, and something happened with Iron Galaxy - they weren't given enough time, enough staff, or they just weren't good enough - and we got this poo poo, and apparently there's something, or some things, within the port's very fundamentals that just cannot be fixed unless you do the entire port again from scratch, and there's no loving way WB is going to finance that for a game that has already sold 90% of the copies it is ever going to sell.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

Pirate Jet posted:

Talking about console versions specifically, the game wasn't going to hit a late 2014 release no way no how unless you wanted a Unity-style shitshow. It got delayed, and now it runs basically perfectly on consoles. There's nothing substantial to the rumor of "Arkham Knight barely functions on consoles!" and saying such is basically just putting a spin on "at one point, this video game in development was still in development." (see also: recent No Man's Sky rumors.) The explanation of "well it ran like poo poo until last minute changes!" actually makes way less sense.

The infinitely more likely scenario is that Rocksteady made a perfectly fine console game, WB outsourced the port, and something happened with Iron Galaxy - they weren't given enough time, enough staff, or they just weren't good enough - and we got this poo poo, and apparently there's something, or some things, within the port's very fundamentals that just cannot be fixed unless you do the entire port again from scratch, and there's no loving way WB is going to finance that for a game that has already sold 90% of the copies it is ever going to sell.

They delayed the game twice, so they had issues with the console versions. Seems more likely to me that they had to delay the game because of performance and bug issues rather than because they desperately wanted to add more tank battles and races.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...elays/#/slide/1

quote:

Getting it to work on consoles was impossible for months. That’s part of why the game got delayed so many times, they were totally unprepared for how hard it was on next-gen consoles.

and

quote:

Another source who was close to the production of Arkham Knight backed this up, saying QA teams were told in various meetings that the new consoles were “not nearly as easy to work with as [Rocksteady] expected.” As a result, testers were told to focus on finding console bugs, with just 10% of the roughly 100 people focused on PC.

And then you had their E3 footage being run on a PC:

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Batman-Arkham-Knight-E3-Footage-During-Sony-Conference-Was-Running-PC-64642.html

Seems pretty clear they had issues getting it to run well on consoles prior to release, and then focused almost entirely on consoles to unfuck it. If the console versions were running like hot garbage, and that's what Iron Galaxy had to work with, it's easier to understand why the PC version is what it is. I'd guess they did what they could with what they had, when they had it, and it ended up being the mess we have today. It isn't like they could have waited for a better build, and then ported that, as all version had to be released simultaneously. I'm not saying the rumor is true so far as the game was running in the single digits on PS4 just prior to release, but to say the console versions were going just fine and the fault lies entirely with Iron Galaxy seems wrong. Especially considering they were the ones to port Origins, and its performance was top notch on release (game breaking bugs notwithstanding).

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

floor is lava posted:

Well, uhh... maybe they mean directly?

Edit: LOL

They can't even do refunds right :allears:

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
Holy poo poo that Nightwing DLC was absolutely terrible.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

PoshAlligator posted:

Holy poo poo that Nightwing Akrham Knight DLC was absolutely terrible.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
All of their DLC has always been terrible, it's bizarre but for as good as the games they make are (PC AK not withstanding) the DLC is always the shortest, most bare minimum stuff you could make. The Mr Freeze DLC for Origins was probably the best and was still only an hour and half long but it at least added a new enemy type and was in some pretty nice looking and new environments (I did get it for £1 though, so that may skew my perspective).

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

thebardyspoon posted:

All of their DLC has always been terrible, it's bizarre but for as good as the games they make are (PC AK not withstanding) the DLC is always the shortest, most bare minimum stuff you could make. The Mr Freeze DLC for Origins was probably the best and was still only an hour and half long but it at least added a new enemy type and was in some pretty nice looking and new environments (I did get it for £1 though, so that may skew my perspective).

WB Montreal made Origins, so that probably explains why Cold, Cold Heart isn't as bad as all the others. Origins is actually my favorite of the lot.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Xeremides posted:

WB Montreal made Origins, so that probably explains why Cold, Cold Heart isn't as bad as all the others. Origins is actually my favorite of the lot.

Same.

Honestly, Origins was a fantastic loving game, and I'm hoping after the debacle that was Knight, more people go pick it up. It didn't revolutionize the genre like Knight did, it was just a tighter, better City. But hey, there isn't anything inherently wrong with that.

All ya'll disappointed with Knight, that skipped Origins when it came out should go pick it up. It's ironically now the best game in the series. Odd how that works out, ain't it?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
No it isn't.

Arkham Asylum is and always will be the best game in the series.

Origins is not even as tight as City with it's backward rear end level designs. There are more things than just it being a safe sequel/prequel game after City that people have complaints about.

Like the goddamn upgrade tree.

It sucks. :colbert:

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 1, 2015

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

use your refund to pick up mad max instead

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Shindragon posted:

No it isn't.

Arkham Asylum is and always will be the best game in the series.

City is a very close second, but I agree.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Pirate Jet posted:

The infinitely more likely scenario is that Rocksteady made a perfectly fine console game, WB outsourced the port, and something happened with Iron Galaxy - they weren't given enough time, enough staff, or they just weren't good enough

Uh, yeah it wasn't IG's fault. They were literally given about a month to port it to PC. Then they had to fulfill a prior commitment to attend PAX Prime which cut down on that time by about a week. So essentially 2-3 weeks to push out a fully functional port. The reason? They didn't want anything to leak out before release.

At least that's the story.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Personally, I'd say City is the best at making me feel like Batman. It helps that it has all of the major rogues in the game as well, aside from Scarecrow and Ventriloquist.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

Scyantific posted:

Uh, yeah it wasn't IG's fault. They were literally given about a month to port it to PC. Then they had to fulfill a prior commitment to attend PAX Prime which cut down on that time by about a week. So essentially 2-3 weeks to push out a fully functional port. The reason? They didn't want anything to leak out before release.

At least that's the story.

I may be misremembering, but the part about IG only having a month was false. It was, instead, when they uploaded their build to Steam, which isn't to say that's when production began. All the same, IG was given a mound of poo poo and told to sculpt Michaelangelo's David.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
City did a good job of fitting in as much of the Batman universe as possible without overloading the game. In Knight, there are so many references that it started to feel too bloated or like villains are a bit shoehorned in. Take Two-Face for example. In City, he's only present for a brief intro plot (unless you count Catwoman's after-game stuff), but it's also worked well into the main plot. In Knight, Two-Face shows up to rob banks and this is somehow related to Scarecrow's plot because the game says it is.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Xeremides posted:

They delayed the game twice, so they had issues with the console versions. Seems more likely to me that they had to delay the game because of performance and bug issues rather than because they desperately wanted to add more tank battles and races.

The more acceptable comparison would be Red Dead Redemption, because that's the game that we actually know meets this weird narrative of "hosed under the hood and would be difficult to put on PC as a result," and I don't know if you saw RDR at launch but the end result was a game where people had cougar animations, horses would get stuck in the ground, carriages would spontaneously implode, and sometimes faces wouldn't even render. Here's what we know to be facts and not just NeoGAF rumors: The game runs with almost no frame drops or bugs whatsoever on consoles, the game runs like garbage on PC, the game was done by a different studio than the original on PC, the game's publisher is infamously a bag of dicks. The conclusion here is pretty easy to draw, and saying that "the game is actually screwed on CONSOLES (despite being the better performing and looking version)" is this weird story that seems like it's just trying to throw shade on Rocksteady because you didn't like the car.

I'm not even saying it's Iron Galaxy's fault. The "one month to develop!" rumor almost certainly isn't true because a literal one month would mean you could boot the title screen and that's it - but it's almost certain that WB didn't give Iron Galaxy the resources they actually needed for a decent port.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
It's really tempting to refund the game at this point out of spite even though I played through the whole thing when it came out and will likely replay it at some point in the future. A delicate balancing act between telling WB to gently caress themselves and keeping a game that I still ultimately enjoyed even though it's a technical mess.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

l33t b4c0n posted:

City did a good job of fitting in as much of the Batman universe as possible without overloading the game. In Knight, there are so many references that it started to feel too bloated or like villains are a bit shoehorned in. Take Two-Face for example. In City, he's only present for a brief intro plot (unless you count Catwoman's after-game stuff), but it's also worked well into the main plot. In Knight, Two-Face shows up to rob banks and this is somehow related to Scarecrow's plot because the game says it is.

For a game that's supposed to be about investigating Hugo Strange, you are then shunted off to investigate Joker, who then infects you with his really not all that lethal blood (thanks Knight!), who then makes you go to Penguin and a surprise Solomon Grundy, so you can save Freeze, who then makes you go to Ra's, and then whoops, you never really finished investigating Strange and it turns out that Arkham City is getting firebombed to the ground.

Oh and somewhere along the way Bane, Azreal, Clayface, Hush, Deadshot, Zsasz, and Hatter all show up randomly.

Asylum and Origins are the best about the bloat. Asylum doesn't go totally overboard with on-screen cameos. Origins only really throws Anarky and Hatter out there as a wildcard. The remaining villains all have a pretty clear motivation and reason to be in the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

It's really tempting to refund the game at this point out of spite even though I played through the whole thing when it came out and will likely replay it at some point in the future. A delicate balancing act between telling WB to gently caress themselves and keeping a game that I still ultimately enjoyed even though it's a technical mess.

I'm kinda in the same boat, except that I'm sorta at the whims of Hot Karl at GMG. Thing is though, if they do re-open the refund floodgates then I'll probably pull the trigger and get something else with the money.

• Locked thread