Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Just want to point out that at the dyno day I went to, the ND dynoed at 144hp at the wheels and my full headers/exhaust NC2 dynoed at 148.

Mazda said the NC was 170 at the crank and the ND was 155.

They either did driveline efficiency magic, underrated the engine, or both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

:golfclap:

Well done, Miatadamus.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So I was almost positive that the main vacuum line with the check valve coming out of the booster was the issue because it was all hosed up and cracked with some kind of capped off plastic T put in the middle to do who knows what. Got the part from Mazda, put it on, and nothing has changed other than now I hear a hissing noise coming from under the dash when I apply the brakes. Is the booster hosed? How do I test it to make sure? I can't imagine the hard vacuum line is leaking, and the other hose going to the intake mani looks ok, but I should probably put a new one there as well just to be sure.

gently caress, every single car I own needs loving work done I'm so loving over this poo poo.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Start the car, push on the brake pedal steadily, let it idle for a bit and then cut the engine. Keep holding the pedal there for 30 seconds. If the pedal starts to drop the booster is leaky.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tried that, and the engine almost died holding the pedal down at idle. When I turned it off the pedal stayed the same, no drop.

But if I'm pushing the pedal in at idle and the idle is dropping that means I must have a vacuum leak somewhere right?

I need to swap out the other hose to eliminate that as a possibility.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Well the whistling sound you're hearing is already a pretty good hint of vacuum leak to me. I bet if you figure that one out you'll be halfway to fixing the idle issue.

Did you check the awkward vac line on the throttle body?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Not yet, I'm at work, but I can throw some fuel line on that side when I get home. I had to order the other one from Mazda because it has a check valve built into it.

It's just strange.....If the leak is coming from the booster itself, which is what it sounds like, shouldn't it do what you were saying? There's no budge at all when I cut the ignition.

[e] I've also noticed that when I come to a stop to park and cut the ignition, the pedal pushes back UP :confused:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 23, 2015

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

It's time for the next entry on "Guess what animal I've run over in my Miata!"

Today's entry: a dead skunk! :suicide:

It was in the center of the road and I straddled it, but still the Miata is too low and I scraped it going over. Somehow, dead skunk smells even worse than they normally do, and I got to smell that the whole ride home. I swear I almost vomited, it was so bad. gently caress it, I'm lifting the Miata!

Fake Edit: Something like this lol :rolleyes:

King-Kong
Oct 15, 2003
Leader of the Apes
Well, I promised some glamour shots. Let me know if you want bigger/more:

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

King-Kong posted:

:swoon:

GP035
Feb 15, 2005

It's Clutch Time!

King-Kong posted:

Take your top off.

:wink:

urakawa
Feb 6, 2012
<3 the ND

I bought a set of new-to-me wheels / tires. Konig 15x8 with 205/50/R15 tires for $400.

The $700 car from copart has come a long way :)

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

urakawa posted:

<3 the ND

I bought a set of new-to-me wheels / tires. Konig 15x8 with 205/50/R15 tires for $400.

The $700 car from copart has come a long way :)

No kidding! Looks nice after ~6 months. Was there something wrong with the old set of wheels, or you just really liked the new set?

What's up with the hood/bumper/quarter panels? I know it was like that when you got it, but is it from a low-speed collision, or just the result of yet another thing the PO hosed with? :confused:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That's a good car right there. You did well saving it.

urakawa
Feb 6, 2012

Atomizer posted:

No kidding! Looks nice after ~6 months. Was there something wrong with the old set of wheels, or you just really liked the new set?

What's up with the hood/bumper/quarter panels? I know it was like that when you got it, but is it from a low-speed collision, or just the result of yet another thing the PO hosed with? :confused:

The old set of wheels are still good, same dry rotted tires that came with the car. There aren't too many available tires for 14 inch wheels though, which is why I wanted 15's.

The hood, bumper, and quarter panel was from the PO getting in to a huge accident lol. The car drives straight but I have clearance issues where my friends non-wrecked miatas don't (wrenches not fitting on like they should, long bolt method for front shock removal was a pain)

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

urakawa posted:

The old set of wheels are still good, same dry rotted tires that came with the car. There aren't too many available tires for 14 inch wheels though, which is why I wanted 15's.

The hood, bumper, and quarter panel was from the PO getting in to a huge accident lol. The car drives straight but I have clearance issues where my friends non-wrecked miatas don't (wrenches not fitting on like they should, long bolt method for front shock removal was a pain)

Ah, ok, I thought those rims might've been 14s, but I couldn't tell just by eyeballing it. I'll concur though, 15" is where it's at for tire selection! Best mod I've done for my car aside from that GROM adapter!

Do you have details about the collision? I mean it clearly looks like there was some impact, but aside from the gaps the panels themselves look straight enough. I'm just wondering what kind of impact did enough damage to gently caress it up but allow it to be mostly corrected, while not totaling it (IIRC you said it was a clean title, donated car from Copart.)

I'm guessing maybe the PO did the lovely plastidip to try to camouflage the damage from the collision. :rolleyes:

urakawa
Feb 6, 2012

Atomizer posted:

Ah, ok, I thought those rims might've been 14s, but I couldn't tell just by eyeballing it. I'll concur though, 15" is where it's at for tire selection! Best mod I've done for my car aside from that GROM adapter!

Do you have details about the collision? I mean it clearly looks like there was some impact, but aside from the gaps the panels themselves look straight enough. I'm just wondering what kind of impact did enough damage to gently caress it up but allow it to be mostly corrected, while not totaling it (IIRC you said it was a clean title, donated car from Copart.)

I'm guessing maybe the PO did the lovely plastidip to try to camouflage the damage from the collision. :rolleyes:

Well I'm pretty sure what happened was, one of the previous PO's got in to an accident where the front left was hit, but not deep enough to effect the shock mounts. He then had it fixed at a body shop without reporting it to insurance, which means still "clean" title. 10/10 great parts car, but hey it drives straight and will be my main Miata until I get another one or a shell to swap the engine :)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Are there glass lenses available for the NC?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Since my friend only logs onto SA when I link him something, I'm going to repost asmasm's stuff from The Forest.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/modern-axe-for-the-forest

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Miata...?

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
M-Edition tennis rackets, lighter and faster for better ball control.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
But will they fit in the picnic basket???

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
10/10, will beat cannibals to death with again.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Just had my first foray into actually working on the Miata, two replacement front UCAs for 60$ and 1.5hrs to do both. These cars are so loving awesome.

I have to fix the midpipe next and there's so much aftermarket underbody chassis bracing that the mechanic doing a track inspection on my car climbed from front to back using them as monkey bars. That's gonna be a pain in the rear end.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 27, 2015

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite

quote:

Anyone going to the CDC test and tune in Frederick MD this sunday by any chance?

Did this last Sunday and it was a blast. Short course with a best time around 40 sec. I went from 52 to 49 by the end of the day, so pretty slow but fun.
They randomly assigned me 420 for my permanent number so rasta colored magnetic decals are on order :bong:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Would 185/60R15 tires be ok on stock 15" Enkeis? Looks like this would be a bit bigger than the stock 195/50 but I can get a winter set for pretty cheap.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Being from the south and knowing nothing other than that rally cars run skinny as gently caress winter tires, I say go for it!

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
At the stock ride height I've been able to fit 195/65R15 tires without any rubbing. Different brands of tires, how loaded the car is and how tired the springs are probably all play a big part in fitting for tires of that size. I was in the same position where I got the 195/65 winter tires for free, I wouldn't recommend buying new tires that tall for a Miata.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Just did the Mazda tribute/Ford escape windshield sprayers since my 93 originals could barely manage a feeble stream.

Best $15 mini project ever. Full coverage spray.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

Would 185/60R15 tires be ok on stock 15" Enkeis? Looks like this would be a bit bigger than the stock 195/50 but I can get a winter set for pretty cheap.

Stock suspension? NAs need fender roll on 225/45/15s when lowered, which is a wee bit taller than 185/60/15, but are fine if they're stock ride height. NB would be fine regardless.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
A ND vs FRS review

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0om4AKnpOjs

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.
The driver side belt in my NB has recently decided that it no longer wants to retract at all, and the dealer wants $300+ (closer to $400) for part+installation. How doable is that for someone who is good with machinery (mechanic in the navy and work in industrial environments as a non-auto mechanic) and following instructions? I like the idea of just ripping an old one off a junk yard car and tossing it in myself. If you're in the Tampa/St Pete area and know where I can get a retractor for less than $250, lemme know bro.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

grumplestiltzkin posted:

The driver side belt in my NB has recently decided that it no longer wants to retract at all, and the dealer wants $300+ (closer to $400) for part+installation. How doable is that for someone who is good with machinery (mechanic in the navy and work in industrial environments as a non-auto mechanic) and following instructions? I like the idea of just ripping an old one off a junk yard car and tossing it in myself. If you're in the Tampa/St Pete area and know where I can get a retractor for less than $250, lemme know bro.

I don't know what the NB is like but this was the first thing I did in my NA. I had no mechanic experience back then and it was super easy. I bought a used unit for like 20 bucks on http://isellmiataparts.com/ and it just bolted right in. You pretty much just take off the tower brace and get under the carpet wall behind the seat and it's right there in a little hole.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
Unless the NB is completely different from the NA (which appears not to be the case in this area), you should be fine. I had the seatbelts out when installing a rollbar, and it was dead simple. Only challenging part is getting the trim panels out without breaking fragile old plastic. I'd recommend getting some spare plastic clips since you'll likely snap a few (I got generic ones of a couple different sizes for cheap on ebay, a few bucks for a bag of 100).

ionn fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 31, 2015

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
NBs are pretty much the same, its really easy.

grumplestiltzkin posted:

Treasure Coast Miata is nearby you and probably have some seatbelts, give them a call, I bought the new upper front control arms from of them for $35/ea.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 31, 2015

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'll bug Fatcow, chances are he still has his.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

ionn posted:

I'd recommend getting some spare plastic clips since you'll likely snap a few (I got generic ones of a couple different sizes for cheap on ebay, a few bucks for a bag of 100).

Yeah, just remember that with these clips you have to pry out the middle part first and then the whole thing comes out. I definitely broke the first one thinking I had to just pry the whole thing out.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!

Phone posted:

Phone actually is Miatadamus; has brain damage from visiting mnet regularly for the past year.

Did you pick this up at southern states or capital mazda? Been looking to scope one out in person here in NC. (ignore me if I'm wrong but I believe you're around the triangle too)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Capital. They aren't great or anything, though.

There's an autocross (that immediately filled up) at Cary Towne Center next weekend if you want to check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Phone posted:

I'll bug Fatcow, chances are he still has his.

I do, but I have no idea what the deal with shipping them would be. They are technically explosives. They have black belts.