Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
I'd been holding off on reading When I was going out from my house to stop being a Hiki-NEET after 10 years, I was transported to another world because I was expecting awkward loli scenes, but someone told me it had none, so I read it. It is legit hilarious. A shutin nerd ends up in a fantasy world, with the twist that his house and dog also come with him, along with internet and electricity. He then posts the best E/N thread ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Cynic Jester posted:

I'd been holding off on reading When I was going out from my house to stop being a Hiki-NEET after 10 years, I was transported to another world because I was expecting awkward loli scenes, but someone told me it had none, so I read it. It is legit hilarious. A shutin nerd ends up in a fantasy world, with the twist that his house and dog also come with him, along with internet and electricity. He then posts the best E/N thread ever.

Kotarou~~

edit: aaaaaaaaa this is too short

Syenite fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 27, 2015

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
It has that exact mix you have on something like 4chan (More /tg/ than other boards, but still) where a given topic will have a couple people discussing it earnestly, a bunch of people posting dumbass comments (Ai'm for the top of the world with JUDO!), and the people whining about their fetishes endlessly.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Cynic Jester posted:

With the worry about potential creepy loli scenes removed, this is enjoyable. It's a bit like Hero Union BBS but with more trolls.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I'm glad you mentioned Hero Union BBS because I'm reading it now and it's the most fun I've had with the concept of summoned heroes since... I wanna say ever.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Algid posted:

Blood 23-25: Mahou Shoujo Sophia experiences genre shift and finds herself in an otome game.

I like how three years with Kumo have rendered her completely oblivious to assassination attempts.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Ugh, no, bad oni! Don't wipe out a defenseless utopia. They probably don't even give much exp.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Serious Frolicking posted:

Ugh, no, bad oni! Don't wipe out a defenseless utopia. They probably don't even give much exp.

He has to acquire that title somehow. :D It was a brilliant little lead-in to what's going to happen though.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Is it kosher to talk about manga adaptations of LNs? Because Re-Monster is loving terrible. I stopped a while ago because it looked interesting in the beginning, but then it started to feel like some Mary-Sue bs on a scale Kirito could only hope to dream of. Then I read the chapter today and it's basically "I gave some elves some aphrodisiacs and now they're totally wet for me, I'm also loving amazing".
Is the actual LN that bad? I can't imagine it'd be worse.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Postal Parcel posted:

Is it kosher to talk about manga adaptations of LNs? Because Re-Monster is loving terrible. I stopped a while ago because it looked interesting in the beginning, but then it started to feel like some Mary-Sue bs on a scale Kirito could only hope to dream of. Then I read the chapter today and it's basically "I gave some elves some aphrodisiacs and now they're totally wet for me, I'm also loving amazing".

Don't read Re:Monster.

e: It does get worse and worse.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Postal Parcel posted:

It gets worse: The translators of the Re-Monster light novel decided to insert their fan fiction sex scenes into the translation. On top of an already terrible light novel.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Pretty sure the terrible rape portions aren't made up though. Seriously, when rape is justified as OK, something needs to be done about the whole thing. Like killing it with fire.

Same thing goes for the "aww yeah loli is sexy" poo poo that seems to be in quite a few LN/WN as well. Underage sex is still statutory rape; even if you argue that the prepubescent girl is an ancient horror in disguise, that's still implying that sex with under-developed children is okay.

jwang fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 29, 2015

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Double post, but I think I found something interesting on Novel Updates.

A Realist's Kingdom Reform Chronicles is interesting in that it's a hero summoning story, but the hero doesn't get a combat boost. Instead, he becomes the ultimate administrator, and as a result creates a great empire. Definitely something different, and is very enjoyable so far.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Postal Parcel posted:

I read a few chapters of ReMonster too and the first thing that came to mind (besides the usual boring perfect MC bullshit) is that everything is constantly explained with this meaningless video game jargon, as if half the script is just copied and pasted from WoW chatlogs. Is it like this in the LN too? Why do people enjoy reading this poo poo? It's like reading a transcript of an LP for a game that doesn't exist, only the player is extremely boring, playing on easy mode, and really likes rape for some reason. I don't understand what you could get out of this that you couldn't get out of spending a few hours watching Twitch livestreams.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

jwang posted:

Double post, but I think I found something interesting on Novel Updates.

A Realist's Kingdom Reform Chronicles is interesting in that it's a hero summoning story, but the hero doesn't get a combat boost. Instead, he becomes the ultimate administrator, and as a result creates a great empire. Definitely something different, and is very enjoyable so far.

The ideal sponger life is sort if similar, in that the MC isn't an overpowered turd and ends up doing kindomy stuff, as a Prince Consort.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Dammit Kumoko, stop being such a terrible person.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
She just thought Kuro was lonely and gave some friends to play with. :3:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Jesus Christ what is she even doing?

Also I like to imagine his thoughts went like this: "Oh no, where am I? Oh no what's with this wave of excellent braaaats-"

I'll get tired of that line eventually, but not anytime soon.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

She probably just needed a babysitter.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by Kumo being a lazy deadbeat parent.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
True, she might have had a good reason. She also might have had a terrible, utterly banal reason. However, Kumoko will not actually explain anything to anyone and it has been a long time since we've had a chapter from her pov.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
The Honzuki no Gekokujou manga adaptation started today, and the first chapter is up for reading on Nicovideo if anyone's interested.

Might be more convenient to translate.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Niconico hosts manga now?
It even has scrolling comments :golfclap:

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I'm guessing she's just protecting Kyouya from Kuro because she wants to recruit another over powered reincarnator into her posse. She conveniently allowed Sophia to finally participate in the monster hunts just as Kyouya was crossing the border heading her way. And it's not like Kumoko would care about him massacring a minor country considering she was ready to fly off the handle and go murder the whole world the moment D gave the order to fix the MA energy drain.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
You're giving her too much credit. She forgot all about her excellent kids and where she left them, and by terrible luck Kuro stumbled upon them. The whole time-lapse in the dimension was because she also stored perishable goods in there, so letting time pass slower in the pocket dimension allowed it to stay fresh longer.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

jwang posted:

You're giving her too much credit. She forgot all about her excellent kids and where she left them, and by terrible luck Kuro stumbled upon them. The whole time-lapse in the dimension was because she also stored perishable goods in there, so letting time pass slower in the pocket dimension allowed it to stay fresh longer.

Nah, her only self-aware kids are in the labyrinth. She went back and picked up all of the freshly hatched ones after she became a god, and those are more like extensions of her will. Kumoko stores them in a pocket dimension unless she needs them.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
I doubt Kumo-chan is working alone on this. It's more likely that The D or Ariel is behind the plan to keep him occupied.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Largepotato posted:

I doubt Kumo-chan is working alone on this. It's more likely that The D or Ariel is behind the plan to keep him occupied.

D could do it herself, and Ariel wouldn't want that utopia to fall because it was the goddess' dream. Ariel's personality is all messed up now, but her morals seem to be intact.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
「Pain Nullity」 「Sense of Pain Nullity」

Kumo-chan is good at training brats. :3:

Serious Frolicking posted:

D could do it herself, and Ariel wouldn't want that utopia to fall because it was the goddess' dream. Ariel's personality is all messed up now, but her morals seem to be intact.

D could, but she never interferes directly.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
I've really been enjoying the alchemical episode in ISSTH. It's good to see Meng Hao finally in his element as a scholar. I especially liked how despite being a genius at it he still has a lot to learn.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Kaja Rainbow posted:

I've really been enjoying the alchemical episode in ISSTH. It's good to see Meng Hao finally in his element as a scholar. I especially liked how despite being a genius at it he still has a lot to learn.

My apologies but ISSTH?

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Blinks77 posted:

My apologies but ISSTH?

http://www.wuxiaworld.com/issth-index/ A pretty amusing Xanxia. It shouldn't be THAT good that the MC there actually realise he was a little shite early on, but the genre sadly almost never has a self-aware MC so just having one semi-self-aware is enough to make it noticeable.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Meng Zhao knows that (1) you shouldn't act like a murderous psychopath and (2) then advertise the fact that you killed a bunch of dudes and/or has a bunch of cool loot.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Algid posted:

Meng Zhao knows that (1) you shouldn't act like a murderous psychopath and (2) then advertise the fact that you killed a bunch of dudes and/or has a bunch of cool loot.
Sadly, the lure of spirit stones twarth him again and again :(

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
Additionally the series starts out by giving him a super powerful item that makes enemies butts explode. It's fairly well written and there are very few "I AM EVIL TO BE EVIL" enemies that tend to flood these stories.

Plus he has a talking hat.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

FriggenJ posted:

Additionally the series starts out by giving him a super powerful item that makes enemies butts explode. It's fairly well written and there are very few "I AM EVIL TO BE EVIL" enemies that tend to flood these stories.

Plus he has a talking hat.

Please do not talk about his talking hat, that is very immoral.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

I still feel terrible that the hat has such a severe learning disability

imagine all the bullies he could correct if he could count past three

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

How strange than its prvious friends didn't help him go past that!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It is kind of strange how no one else seemed to have figured out that vexation is easy to deal with if you point him at someone else. Screwing people over is essentially what this setting is based on, so I expect that this will eventually blow up in Meng Hao's face.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Seeing the MC trigger an overflow error in an AI was not what I expected out of a xianxia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I like how Meng Hao's solution to problems invariably boils down to "THROW LOTS OF MONEY AND/OR FLYING SWORDS AT IT". He's just brute-forcing his way to enlightenment and it's great.

• Locked thread