Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sillyman
Jul 21, 2008
By the way, the fractions in Pikmin 2 actually switch which number is which based on position, which I noticed/remembered after you had talked about the fractions being the right way around for the bag and then they weren't for the battery. The lower number always represents something that's physically lower (pikmin carrying an object, toughness of a bag) and the higher number always represents something that's physically higher (weight of an object, pikmin on a bag). But the required number of pikmin always has a larger font size than the number of pikmin on the task.

Sillyman fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I get that the games are basically polar opposites, but some of the music (notably when Louie was getting his Pikmin and when getting the battery) REALLY reminds me of The 7th Guest

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
I like that the entirety of Pikmin 1 is about Olimar rebuilding his ship to get back to his family, then as soon as he gets back his ship is sold off and he is immediately sent back to the Pikmin planet to pay off someone else's debt.
Poor guy can't catch a break.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

InspectorCarbonara posted:

I like that the entirety of Pikmin 1 is about Olimar rebuilding his ship to get back to his family, then as soon as he gets back his ship is sold off and he is immediately sent back to the Pikmin planet to pay off someone else's debt.
Poor guy can't catch a break.

He's probably used to it by now since he's the only thing that keeps his company alive.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Even better, I like how the final challenge, the one that took Fay and Gnome so long to complete, was to recover Olimar's piggy bank... which contained a fraction of the value of some random bottlecap that he just had on him. :v:

Also, I like how the game pretty much spells out that Louie is to blame. Red pikmin remind him of the carrots he was supposed to haul... and also cause him to start drooling... :v:

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
Is Fae playing on the North American or European version? This is relevant because treasures can be different based on the regional version (JP/NA/EU), and things could get slightly awkward if you're not both on the same page. Although I guess it wouldn't really make a huge difference overall.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Alpha3KV posted:

Is Fae playing on the North American or European version? This is relevant because treasures can be different based on the regional version (JP/NA/EU), and things could get slightly awkward if you're not both on the same page. Although I guess it wouldn't really make a huge difference overall.

I have no idea what version she has, I'll need to ask, but I only ever played the NA version back in the day. But as you've no doubt seen from my excellent advice in the first game, I haven't played these in a long time and my memory is. Not great.

I'll get things wrong no matter what version we've got here.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

She's playing the NA version. I, or maybe one of our friends, asked which she was playing because we were curious about which products she'd be seeing. :v:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

This means we might get a chance to explain certain products to her if she comes across something she's never encountered. Pikmin 2 is an educational game!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, hey, proto-Fi. I hope you shut the hell up after the tutorial level.

Seriously, when Olimar was talking about fighting for survival on a remote planet it was kind of cute and charming.

When some loving robot repo man from the loan company is hectoring you about paying down the company debt that's just kind of everything wrong with having a job.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Glazius posted:

Oh, hey, proto-Fi.
No need for name calling, Ship will eventually shut up. Just takes it a couple days to stop tutorializing, because there are a lot of new and different things in this game.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
The Ship is also way less egregious than Fi because it has an extremely charming character quirk we'll be getting a lot of throughout the rest of the game. The Ship's thirst for clever marketing knows no bounds.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

gnome7 posted:

The Ship is also way less egregious than Fi because it has an extremely charming character quirk we'll be getting a lot of throughout the rest of the game. The Ship's thirst for clever marketing knows no bounds.

That part is one of my favorite things in this game. The other is that thing's counterpart late in the game. You know the one.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Hello this update is late because I rediscovered Rune Factory 4 and forgot to upload Pikmin :v

Episode 2 - They Got Smarter, Gnome!

also a little bit of shameless self-promotion but my girlfriend and I will be streaming my first playthrough of Luigi's Mansion in 20 minutes or so! Come join us maybe?

Faerie Fortune fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 31, 2015

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?
Two important corrections to the information gnome was giving you in this episode:

1. You do not have a 30 day time limit in this one. I mean, you'll probably pay off the debt before 30 days anyway, but you don't have a day limit to worry about.

2. Your pikmin don't need to be in your squad when you jump deeper into a cave. Any pikmin still alive will come down with you no matter where they are.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
There is what is essentially a Save & Quit in the caves -- it automatically saves every time you go down a level. You can just turn off or reset the game and lose nothing.

Sillyman
Jul 21, 2008

Syka posted:

Two important corrections to the information gnome was giving you in this episode:

1. You do not have a 30 day time limit in this one. I mean, you'll probably pay off the debt before 30 days anyway, but you don't have a day limit to worry about.

2. Your pikmin don't need to be in your squad when you jump deeper into a cave. Any pikmin still alive will come down with you no matter where they are.

Additions to this and reasons why gnome might have been confused:

1. You don't have a real time limit, but there's a thing the game does to make you want to win faster.

2. While outside of a cave, only pikmin in your squad will enter the cave with you (the rest either return home or are frozen in time where they are, I can't remember which). Only while already inside of a cave do pikmin not in your squad follow you to the next sublevel (or out of the cave) automatically.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Q: Why will Pikmin 2 be a million updates long?

A: Pikmin Lore.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Syka posted:

I feel like that second point cannot possibly be true. I swear I've had pikmin left behind before, which lead to my fairly rigorous pikmin squad-checking tendencies. There is one very specific cave where I want to say this happened to me and ruined my run through it, but it wouldn't be the first time I'm wrong on a thing. It also will not be the last.

Even if that is true though, it isn't worth risking your pikmin to just dive deeper into the caves anyway. Double checking your pikmins' safety before going deeper into danger is just the sensible thing to do.

As for the 30 day thing, I actually thought that was a thing and just wasn't mentioned until things get dicey back home. In retrospect, a time limit wouldn't make any sense considering what happens when you get the money. Oh well. We'll still get the money way before the end of the month.

FeyerbrandX posted:

Q: Why will Pikmin 2 be a million updates long?

A: Pikmin Lore.

My other favorite Gamecube game is Metroid Prime. I am a sucker for really good games that also give me infinite reading material.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
It is definitely true and usually safer to just dittch your pikmin in a safe spot and run for the exit. Especially in that one loving cave. You all know the one.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Oh, I see why the fractions are like that.

For the paper bags, the weight needs to exceed the number, so once the fraction is equal to or greater than 1, it deflates.

For the treasure and food, the Pikmin are trying to make the object easier to lift, so when the fraction is equal to or less than 1 it's light enough to carry.

It's dumb but it's clever.

E: I don't read posts. Looks like someone beat me. Whatever.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

gnome7 posted:

My other favorite Gamecube game is Metroid Prime. I am a sucker for really good games that also give me infinite reading material.

You and I need to be friends.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Rune Factory 4 is always a good reason. As is 3.

GalenEvil
Apr 22, 2014
I need to play the pikman games and actually complete them for once. Never gotten past day 10 in P1 (various reasons) and only watched P2 being played by a cousin a while back. That said, very much enjoying watching this LP. Most of what I remember from my attempts at P1 are gratuitous genocide of pikman due to not being good at games and bad advice from cousins.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

gnome7 posted:

I prefer Prime 3, but only because they'd had the first two to fully iron out the gameplay mechanics (and also it was on the WII so it hat the Wiimote for aiming which made things MUCH BETTER for moving around and firing and feeling badass).

Still, I'm the one who spent hours reading over every goddamn single entry in the Mass Effect games because I found them fascinating. This is making me actually wish I never missed out on Pikmin when the games first came out and I had lots of time for video games.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

Faerie Fortune posted:

Hello this update is late because I rediscovered Rune Factory 4 and forgot to upload Pikmin :v

Episode 2 - They Got Smarter, Gnome!

also a little bit of shameless self-promotion but my girlfriend and I will be streaming my first playthrough of Luigi's Mansion in 20 minutes or so! Come join us maybe?

Luigi's Mansion is pretty much Ghost Fishing Simulator and it's great. Also it is an incredibly charming game even if it was basically a tech demo for the Gamecube pad shoulder triggers.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Hey gnome, since Pikmin 2 doesn't have a true time limit and is in general way less stressful than 1, could you try to be less handholdy and avoid straight up telling Faerie Fortune what to do (to the point of "Press X now")? The best part of blind LPs to me is seeing players figure out the game for the first time and that gets a bit diluted when everything is preemptively explained (not that it's happened in the videos yet, I apologize if you've already decided to tone it down on your own).

On a less persnickety note, I could never hear the game's music so clearly on my tv for whatever reason and uh, woah. Those drum beats on the surface, those bell tones in the cave!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Hi friends!

This LP hasn't been abandoned, I had some issues with my depression flaring up and giving me sadbrains the past few weeks, leaving me with no motivation whatsoever for doing basically anything that isn't sitting in bed playing Rune Factory 4.

I'm feeling a lot better now though (and I'm really far into the Rune Factory 4 plot too) so videos will resume as normal tomorrow! Thanks for your patience, guys!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I hope you're OK Fae. Depression is a serious thing I struggle with too.

Sillyman
Jul 21, 2008

Faerie Fortune posted:

I'm feeling a lot better now though

Good to hear it, hope it lasts.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

Depression is loving awful and not something you should ever feel you have to apologise for. I spent ten years hating myself for being to weak to pull myself out of it before I finally broke down and admitted I needed help, and it is not something I would wish on my worst enemy. The analogy I always use to explain it now is that trying to will yourself out of depression is like trying to run your way out of a broken leg. I'm not saying any of this looking for sympathy, I'm saying it because one of the things I wish someone had said to me back then is "you're not alone".

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Thank you, friends! I promise I'm okay and will continue to be okay! Now though, its...

:siren:Update Time!:siren:

Episode 3 - Let Me Get My Crochet Hooks

Faerie Fortune fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Nov 21, 2015

Sillyman
Jul 21, 2008
A powerful update indeed, with powerful new friends. My beefometer tells me that it was well worth the wait.

Edit: can "beefometer" be the new word for the pikmin required indicator, since they aren't real fractions?

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

The ship's onboard beefometer, otherwise known as Louie.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

While Purples are stronger than Reds and I find myself using them in battle a lot, the reds have one major advantage over purples in that they are easily sprouted. Since purples can only be made underground in those candypop buds, your purple numbers are limited by how many of those you find. Basically, losing purples hurts worse than losing reds because they're a more limited pikmin resource. Their slowness also makes them a poor choice for swarming but honestly you should be throwing purples at enemies all the time.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Harvesting buds, for medicinal purposes of course.

Olimar, I would expect better from you. I'd expect that from Louie.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Purple pikmin actually have only 2 times the battle power of normal pikmin, which is still more than the reds at 1.5x.

low-day runs tend to forgo reds almost altogether, instead spending a couple hours grinding out purple pikmin. It's not nearly as speedrunny as, well, actual speedruns are.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Faerie Fortune posted:

Thank you, friends! I promise I'm okay and will continue to be okay! Now though, its...

:siren:Update Time!:siren:

Episode 3 - Let Me Get My Crochet Hooks

Your videos always brighten my day. Please crochet a big fat purple pikmin

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Purples are WMDs in this game. I'm pretty sure this was supposed to be balanced out by several other factors, but the downsides are mostly a non-factor when ten or twenty chain-thrown purples will annihilate almost anything. In addition to their obvious utility in combat and for carrying things, they have a couple of specific niche uses that are more nuanced using the ground-pound that we may not see for a while, if ever, because they're not very obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Purples are WMDs in this game. I'm pretty sure this was supposed to be balanced out by several other factors, but the downsides are mostly a non-factor when ten or twenty chain-thrown purples will annihilate almost anything. In addition to their obvious utility in combat and for carrying things, they have a couple of specific niche uses that are more nuanced using the ground-pound that we may not see for a while, if ever, because they're not very obvious.

I really doubt we'll ever see any of those other uses in this LP because they're basically exploits and are literally never required for anything. And if I remember right, most of them are kinda risky if you don't know how to do them, and I don't think we're going to be risking our precious supply of purple pikmin when we don't have to. So if you have videos on those sorts of niche uses, feel free to post 'em after we see the areas/enemies where those are relevant.

• Locked thread