Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Have you always been able to scroll through your my stuff tab in the pause menu and I'm just realizing it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Dr. Fetus posted:

I think Tractor Beam is my new favorite item. It just really increases your tear accuracy, though it does make trick shots harder to make.

Tractor Beam works great with Antigrav tears. You either walk across the room, making a stick of tears you can shove into people, or you use it as a bust fire mode you can aim. Honestly any burst fire shot would be amazing with Tractor Beam.

Also, today's challenge is hilarious. Why yes, I would like both White and Blue maps by level 2.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Hello gentlemen I'm visiting from GBS please examine my credentials:

I come here from the future to warn you all that the Speed challenge is the biggest pile of loving bullshit I've seen outside of getting The Lost through The Dark Room before the Afterbirth era.

Kawalimus posted:

drat that speed challenge but I beat it thanks to Brimstone.

Got it on the first floor through a red chest teleport (hnnngggggggg) and then ran into a room of bumrushing invisible men and spikes GG Issac thanks a lot, I almost got a half a shot off before they beat me to death.

raton fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 1, 2015

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Unlucky7 posted:

Is Afterbirth like Wrath of the Lamb in that it seems to be balanced around having a lot of the stuff already unlocked? I only beat Mom once on the Rebirth PS4.

If you get burning basement as your first floor your life is really bad but there are other things that can happen. You don't really need a lot of the unlocks but I'd do the challenge that unlocks Death's Touch and try to unlock Azazel ASAP before doing much of anything else.

Kawalimus posted:

Lost in greed mode is definitely doable but it's the Hush that I just see myself having a hell of a time with. Getting to him to begin with will be a trial but actually making it through that mess and not getting hit once or even twice jesus.

I'm not going to try it because I don't think I could do it without Mantle/Stopwatch or Mantle/Soul or Soul/Stopwatch or probably all three. Trinity shield might do it, but I don't think you're likely to have any damage if you've been loving around with the angel in order to show up with that.

raton fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Nov 1, 2015

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Ashsaber posted:

Wow, Lilith is now my favorite character, hands down. She's now probably the easiest way to get the Meat Boy and Bandage Girl Achievements

Now that I think about it, I wonder if Ed created her partly to help people who've been having trouble with that achievement. Bravo for a beautiful solution, if so.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Is nothing known about a console release date? I feel left out and unloved.

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS

Fedule posted:

Is nothing known about a console release date? I feel left out and unloved.

I think they said this upcoming holiday season?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Glass Cannon is really good on The Lost. Giant spectral tear that you can use over and over without worrying about its damage penalty.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Fetus posted:

Glass Cannon is really good on The Lost. Giant spectral tear that you can use over and over without worrying about its damage penalty.

It's really good on any character with not much in the way of red hearts which is every character as far as I'm concerned.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Kawalimus posted:

drat that speed challenge but I beat it thanks to Brimstone.

I keep getting murdered by Steven.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sheep-Goats posted:

It's really good on any character with not much in the way of red hearts which is every character as far as I'm concerned.

I didn't even know it had a penalty until I read the thread

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Lol I don't think they really even play tested Greedmode. If you're even slightly good at the game you just snowball into death itself, every time.

I have yet to have a run where I didn't win as long as the first floor didn't go bad.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Why is Rag Man a Basement boss!? :argh:

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

My god is the brains challenge utterly garbage. I wound up winning by getting tammy's head in a gold chest on the first floor and just snowballing into a one shot entire rooms with spacebar build instead.
Also I seem to recall that sacrifice rooms were going to be made not worthless in afterbirth, but they seem identical to before?

Einwand fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 1, 2015

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Dr. Fetus posted:

Why is Rag Man a Basement boss!? :argh:

If you focus on his head when he takes it off and keep shooting it, it can't stop rolling and won't become a spider until it's dead. Makes the fight fairly easy.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Remember that if you're pissed off at a whole bunch of stuff in Afterbirth, Edmund too a whole bunch of suggestions from Reddit.

This expansion essentially feels like BoIi:Reddit to me because some of the new stuff is really loving stupid.

Greed mode is pretty amazing though.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
Challenges like Speed! are stupid as poo poo. Putting stuff into the game that can't be overcome by skillful playing is stupid.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

gently caress you Edmund

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Migishu posted:

gently caress you Edmund

Was it at 109? Because it's actually capped at that point.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

SuicideSnowman posted:

Challenges like Speed! are stupid as poo poo. Putting stuff into the game that can't be overcome by skillful playing is stupid.

It wouldn't be nearly as bad if the enemies weren't also sped up. I just beat it, but only because I got a Dr. Fetus/Butt Bombs synergy that meant I could stun everything in the room while also bombing my way through doors. If you don't get some kind of synergy like that or some way to deal damage to the entire room then it's pretty much impossible. I also got lucky by getting Womb XL.

Someone was saying it feels like there wasn't any testing done on Greed mode, but after playing for about 10 hours I can say that most everything else in the expansion feels the same way. Those of you who aren't able to play it on PC for some reason who are salty about not getting Afterbirth right away really aren't missing much right now. Whatever version of Afterbirth gets released at some point in the future is probably going to feel quite a lot better than the game feels right now.

I don't really want to play Greed Mode anymore since it's really just not fun at all with the way the balance works right now. Half the new challenges feel like they might not have even been play-tested, and so some are nearly uncompletable. For as many new items as there are it feels like too few of them are that creative, and far too many of them just break the game. The L-shaped rooms are interesting, but the small rooms can really just end a run too often. Yeah, certain things about Rebirth certainly weren't balanced, but the game just feels like a slot machine now.

The only really positive experiences I've had with Afterbirth so far are the daily runs. If you get screwed on those there's some solace you can take in the fact that everyone else got screwed too, and if it's super easy then you know everyone else is having an easy time of it too.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Nov 1, 2015

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Fetus posted:

Was it at 109? Because it's actually capped at that point.

Wait 109 is capped? That's an arbitrary number...

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Migishu posted:

Wait 109 is capped? That's an arbitrary number...

It's...901 backwards? Yeah that number makes no sense.

What does the Greed Donation Machine at the end even give you? More unlocks?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Alkydere posted:

It's...901 backwards? Yeah that number makes no sense.

What does the Greed Donation Machine at the end even give you? More unlocks?

Nothing, the last reward start Cain with a lockpick and that's at 80 something.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Jesus I just beat The Hush as the lost, and good god is that fight tense when you can't get hit at ALL.
Wonder what "sworn protector" does.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Man I am not a fan of a lot of these new challenges. Pay to Play sounded like it wouldn't be so bad till I played it and found there's a permanent effect where you drop coins for taking damage from -anything- (including IV bag) - and like damage from greed enemies, you almost always drop less then you actually lose. Dropping to 0 coins is death, even if theres coins on the ground.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

ErIog posted:

It wouldn't be nearly as bad if the enemies weren't also sped up. I just beat it, but only because I got a Dr. Fetus/Butt Bombs synergy that meant I could stun everything in the room while also bombing my way through doors. If you don't get some kind of synergy like that or some way to deal damage to the entire room then it's pretty much impossible. I also got lucky by getting Womb XL.

Someone was saying it feels like there wasn't any testing done on Greed mode, but after playing for about 10 hours I can say that most everything else in the expansion feels the same way. Those of you who aren't able to play it on PC for some reason who are salty about not getting Afterbirth right away really aren't missing much right now. Whatever version of Afterbirth gets released at some point in the future is probably going to feel quite a lot better than the game feels right now.

I don't really want to play Greed Mode anymore since it's really just not fun at all with the way the balance works right now. Half the new challenges feel like they might not have even been play-tested, and so some are nearly uncompletable. For as many new items as there are it feels like too few of them are that creative, and far too many of them just break the game. The L-shaped rooms are interesting, but the small rooms can really just end a run too often. Yeah, certain things about Rebirth certainly weren't balanced, but the game just feels like a slot machine now.

The only really positive experiences I've had with Afterbirth so far are the daily runs. If you get screwed on those there's some solace you can take in the fact that everyone else got screwed too, and if it's super easy then you know everyone else is having an easy time of it too.

I feel like the creator or creators really have run out of ideas with this game. Lots of the new enemies, while not necessarily bad feel kind of uninspired. I kind of anticipated this happening based on some of the preview content I saw, and it's why I wasn't nearly as hyped for this as I was for Rebirth's release. Also I think the game is starting to collapse under its own weight. Rebirth already was having this problem and this pushed it over the edge.

I doubt they will do anymore expansions(and probably shouldn't, like I'm saying the game is getting too big for its own good) but before they do they should do a big patch just focused on making everything work right. It's obvious a lot of this wasn't tested for whatever reason maybe they were too focused on cramming in content.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
So on the first run I did to unlock Lilith I was offered a D20 and a room with an infinite respawning battery. I basically turned 10 coins into a room with so many items I couldn't walk through them without losing my D20.

Might have been a slight oversight to have item respawns consistent in that mode.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I actually really enjoyed The Guardian challenge. It requires you to think in a completely different way from normal but it's doable and unlike a lot of other challenges it doesn't take forever.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I actually really enjoyed The Guardian challenge. It requires you to think in a completely different way from normal but it's doable and unlike a lot of other challenges it doesn't take forever.

That was my most hated tied with brains, personally. It felt almost 100% luck based on room layouts, like my first good run I got red stompy mom and lost all 12 hitpoints I'd managed to build up before I could kill her with my lovely sword thing.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I guess that specifically can screw you over and will hopefully be fixed at some point. I found most rooms were pretty beatable if you prioritized targets properly and used your body as a shield.

Slam hands also presented unavoidable damage but I never felt like it was enough to seriously threaten me.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 1, 2015

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists

Haha. This was two shots I think. The game crashed shortly after. Thanks, infinite money loop on Greed mode!

edit: Wait! You can continue after a crash now! Or did they add an autosave thing before and I just didn't notice?

edit2: yeah, my bombs crash the program now flat out.

Rashomon fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 1, 2015

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Too bad they only shot one at a time

nogic
Jul 6, 2002
Lilith with Guillotine (in greed mode of course) is pretty gnarly:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, I'm gonna have to say Afterbirth feels really unpolished. Game crashes and bugs, and really poor design decisions. Some boss attacks in the thin rooms are completely impossible to dodge. What did they balance the expansion around? Maybe it'll get better with patches. Thank goodness Steam lets you disable DLC.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 1, 2015

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Hey guys peep this deal I found in the shop!

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/400052635017126557/0AB1266E84397C02256AD5887985F01CE7596061/

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

That's the "have a heart" challenge I'm assuming? It seems to replace any red heart drops with 2 pennies instead, leading to situations such as that. It was a neat idea for a challenge but you can just sell your hp to satan and get soul hearts anyways completely breaking the whole challenge idea.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

I got that too, what?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Einwand posted:

That's the "have a heart" challenge I'm assuming? It seems to replace any red heart drops with 2 pennies instead, leading to situations such as that. It was a neat idea for a challenge but you can just sell your hp to satan and get soul hearts anyways completely breaking the whole challenge idea.

Even in rebirth there was a lot of stuff like this in challenges. Like there was this whole idea for a challenge but you could just override the whole thing with a reroll room or something like Mom's Knife a lot of the time. I thought more effort could have been put into keeping the challenge the challenge. They're kind of meaningless if they can be overridden so easily.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Hey, I tried playing Lilith, but she doesn't start with the box of friends like the wiki says she should? Do I need to unlock it, first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nogic
Jul 6, 2002

Kawalimus posted:

Even in rebirth there was a lot of stuff like this in challenges. Like there was this whole idea for a challenge but you could just override the whole thing with a reroll room or something like Mom's Knife a lot of the time. I thought more effort could have been put into keeping the challenge the challenge. They're kind of meaningless if they can be overridden so easily.

There are some challenges that seem to try to keep you from bypassing them. Like the Pride Day challenge, it wouldn't let me pick up another trinket, although that might be a feature of the rainbow worm trinket (but I doubt it?).