Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
!!!
http://www.gog.com/game/dungeons_dragons_dark_sun_series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

hubris.height posted:

i like random encounters

Are you okay?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

corn in the bible posted:

first person dungeon crawlers are best with set encounter squares actually

EO2/U had a floor with set encounters and they were the bane of my existence.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I've played more games with random encounters than without so unless I want to say some of my favorite RPG's are poo poo, I can deal. True, they can be annoying while playing, but you forget about them afterward. Well, I do.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Looper posted:

Are you okay?

i haven't encountered any problems

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I've played more games with random encounters than without so unless I want to say some of my favorite RPG's are poo poo, I can deal. True, they can be annoying while playing, but you forget about them afterward. Well, I do.

There are tons of great rpgs with random encounters, but they're still an archaic, lazy, and unnecessary mechanic

hubris.height posted:

i haven't encountered any problems

:)

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Don't think whether or not a game has random encounters or turns matter much to whether a game is good or bad.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Real-time with pause is an abomination. I don't really have an opinion on random encounters as long as the encounter design is good.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'd find it difficult to back to FFVI today as games today are so much better when enemies fight you on the same field you encounter them on. Also the whole equip-an-esper-on-level-up adds an element of min-maxing that the game doesn't need since it's easy, but by not doing it you feel like your losing out. A better compromise would be getting a static bonus for every couple of spells you master, giving you more reason to learn magic. Eh, hindsight.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Nov 1, 2015

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The rate of random encounters is probably more of a problem than their existence. I mean, ideally you find the battles engaging because that's pretty much what the gameplay of an RPG is. In a turn-based game, every encounter should be a new puzzle to solve, or a way to test your set-up. So you shouldn't be dreading every new encounter. The problem only occurs when you fight more battles than you need to, which is just meaningless filler to pad out the game. However, the exact same problem can occur if there are too many pre-set battles anyway. And in some ways that can be worse, because you know exactly how much of your time will be wasted. Hope is a powerful drug.

That said, I'm a big fan of some way to skip encounters. If that's just running around their out-of-battle icon, then sure, but that's not the only form it can take.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That setting always seemed the most interesting of DnD stuff, unfortunately I can't see me having a fun time with games that old.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

WrightOfWay posted:

Real-time with pause is an abomination. I don't really have an opinion on random encounters as long as the encounter design is good.

Pillars made me realize how much I don't like RTwP. It's a game I wish I liked more but D:OS helped me discover I like turn based way more. It just feels more tactical than trying to manage 6ish moving targets every couple of seconds.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Funny because the entire time I was playing D:OS I was wishing to god it was RTwP instead of turn based so I could actually loving stand to play it and not sit through another 10 second long spell animation waiting to actually take my next turn.

Really though I like both styles but D:OS is a pretty terrible example of turn based combat pacing in general. Dunno if they changed it up in the EE or not but there was too much else about the rest of the game I didn't like that I doubt I'll make an effort to try it again.

As far as random encounters go, like I said last time it came up, I still find it really weird nobody has tried to copy Tales of the Forsaken Land's system. EO's random encounter design makes sense except it's trivially easy to just turn off random encounters in many of the games.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Resources kinda stop being a thing in EO games half way through the latter installments. They have been increasing the short cut count in each game and the latest one has so many that you can bail pretty much at any point.

The most recent EO takes turn based in a direction I really dislike - bosses following a strict script involve super moves.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Rascyc posted:

Resources kinda stop being a thing in EO games half way through the latter installments. They have been increasing the short cut count in each game and the latest one has so many that you can bail pretty much at any point.

The most recent EO takes turn based in a direction I really dislike - bosses following a strict script involve super moves.

They were doing that at least as far back as EO3 though it was a bit less frequent with which bosses did it. Honestly I kind of like the stair teleport system of EOU2 but I feel like it should cost the same thing as an Ariadne thread, or otherwise have some kind of cost.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

These games were so proto balder's gate it is unbelievable.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

They were doing that at least as far back as EO3 though it was a bit less frequent with which bosses did it. Honestly I kind of like the stair teleport system of EOU2 but I feel like it should cost the same thing as an Ariadne thread, or otherwise have some kind of cost.

EO2, actually. But back then it was more like, use X every 5 turns or use X after this skill gets casted, and it didn't really get more complicated than that. (Aside from the post-game final bosses.) It was an okay way of throwing a curveball into things. EO2U flat out has them follow a script for nearly every turn, and they made it extremely unforgiving and really tough to recover from a mistake if you didn't follow the script precisely, which is what I really dislike about those bosses.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Weird. It's strange how with every EO they manage to get a few things very right and a few other important things very wrong. But most of them (past EO2 anyway) are pretty fun despite their flaws at least.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
is this the thread where i say, from a pure mechanical and gameplay perspective, dungeon travelers 2 is one of the most fun drpgs i've played

what are some other games like it (other than etrian and strange journey, which are obvious choices)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

hubris.height posted:

dungeon travelers 2

you loving weirdo

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Levantine posted:

Pillars made me realize how much I don't like RTwP. It's a game I wish I liked more but D:OS helped me discover I like turn based way more. It just feels more tactical than trying to manage 6ish moving targets every couple of seconds.

It's very much hit/miss for me. D:OS and Shadowrun are a lot of fun but I wouldn't take Kotor or NWN2 without RTwP. Pillars was weird because it felt like it moved way too fast if I wasn't constantly pausing and thus less fun than it should be.

On the whole, I will take turn-based over action RPG every time because of the "time to think" aspect. This is doubly true with jrpg's because their action rpg's seem so button mashey. The sole exception is Blood/souls but those are so heavy on the action that the combat feels more twitch.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

you loving weirdo

its kind of a tragedy that either they bungled their way into a really solid first person dungeon crawler, or someone on the team was really dead set on keeping the normies out

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Original D:OS is miserable towards the end. It's just SO MUCH trash killing in a system with slowish animations.

I hope they fixed it in enhanced, I'm not in any rush though.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

hubris.height posted:

is this the thread where i say, from a pure mechanical and gameplay perspective, dungeon travelers 2 is one of the most fun drpgs i've played

what are some other games like it (other than etrian and strange journey, which are obvious choices)

Given that you have a Vita and a high tolerance for anime boobs, Demon Gaze and Operation Abyss are both options, although they're both mechanically simpler than DT2. There's also the Wizardry games (particularly 6 through 8), although being older games they're pretty unforgiving, a little light on quality-of-life features and also if you're interested in the genre there's a good chance you've played them already. Can you be more specific about what features you liked in DT2?

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I don't particularly like RTwP, but I don't dislike it either. I feel like its ability to speed up the flow of battle allows designers to fall into traps like making each individual action matter less than under a TB model, and putting down way more encounters than is necessary. I also feel like it makes battles more repetitive than under a TB system -- CC some dangerous guy, toss big AoE, cure the guy who got CC'd, mop up with auto-battle. Multiply this by a large number of encounters per area and ugh, can I please skip to the end already?

Also, it doesn't have anything to do with RTwP (except in that the two often come together), but can we leave Vancian casting in a book of bad game design where it ought to be?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Thuryl posted:

Given that you have a Vita and a high tolerance for anime boobs, Demon Gaze and Operation Abyss are both options, although they're both mechanically simpler than DT2. There's also the Wizardry games (particularly 6 through 8), although being older games they're pretty unforgiving, a little light on quality-of-life features and also if you're interested in the genre there's a good chance you've played them already. Can you be more specific about what features you liked in DT2?

haven't played the wizardry series at all actually. i've heard of demon gaze and operation abyss, but haven't seen or tried them yet.

i like the branching class paths, it feels like the system from sd3. you can kind of figure out how to make them work. and trying out a million different class combos and skill point distributions scratches an itch. dungeons are a lot like smt 2 dungeons, and i think most of what i like is that dungeon feel. encounters are engaging mostly for the same reason they are in strange journey, any of them can end you pretty quickly.

its like an anime titty witch took sd3, eo, and smt and stirred them all in a big pot. its really actually good.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
it would be very disappointing if that broken blade for 20g didn't end up being the most powerful weapon in the game after you took it to a certain location

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Is that 20g for one piece of the blade or for the entire thing, and she forces you to solve a 3D puzzle to prove that no pieces are missing?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

if youve got a psp and dont have brandish then brandish your wallet and obtain it *falls in a hole*

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

hubris.height posted:

haven't played the wizardry series at all actually. i've heard of demon gaze and operation abyss, but haven't seen or tried them yet.

i like the branching class paths, it feels like the system from sd3. you can kind of figure out how to make them work. and trying out a million different class combos and skill point distributions scratches an itch. dungeons are a lot like smt 2 dungeons, and i think most of what i like is that dungeon feel. encounters are engaging mostly for the same reason they are in strange journey, any of them can end you pretty quickly.

its like an anime titty witch took sd3, eo, and smt and stirred them all in a big pot. its really actually good.

Yeah, dungeon crawlers with deep ongoing character customisation are actually pretty thin on the ground: usually you pick a class/race combo for each character, maybe change class a few times later on in the game and that's the extent of your interaction with the character creation mechanics. If you've already played all of the EO series, Wizardry and the various Japanese Wizardry clones and spinoffs (Tale of the Forsaken Land, Elminage, probably some others that don't come to mind right now but not Class of Heroes because that series is kinda bad) might be your best bet.

Also, today I have learned both that there's a "dungeon crawler" tag on Steam and that it's kinda useless for finding actual dungeon crawlers.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

if youve got a psp and dont have brandish then brandish your wallet and obtain it *falls in a hole*

if its available on the digital store for vita i want to check it out

i am gonna start playing persona innocent sin and eternal punishment after i beat dungeon travelers

Thuryl posted:

Yeah, dungeon crawlers with deep ongoing character customisation are actually pretty thin on the ground: usually you pick a class/race combo for each character, maybe change class a few times later on in the game and that's the extent of your interaction with the character creation mechanics.

yea its kind of weird like that. its pretty hard to sustain a long running character customization system which is balanced towards being difficult while still being exploitable. thanks for the tips, i should check out the wizardry games. i'm real mad at eo right now because eo2u is kicking my rear end and i suspect there's just certain classes that are not worth having in it

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

hubris.height posted:

if its available on the digital store for vita i want to check it out

I'm pretty sure it's vita compatible. It's a weird game, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_kMK7KeQFE

for what you want though definitely check out some of the modern wizardries, or alternatively operation abyss which is a wizardry clone with smt-imitation trappings

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Coincidentally I bought and just started playing it the other day

Soon holes will be the least of your problems

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Wizardry is the magical series where it's totally OK to find an item that can only be used by a specific race and a specific class, and a specific gender.
Also, Wiz 8 is all about fighting in doorways and going to sleep tightly pressing your rear end to the wall.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Coincidentally I bought and just started playing it the other day

Soon holes will be the least of your problems

it reminds of kings field 1 a lot, a lot

thats why it owns tho

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

I'm pretty sure it's vita compatible. It's a weird game, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_kMK7KeQFE

for what you want though definitely check out some of the modern wizardries, or alternatively operation abyss which is a wizardry clone with smt-imitation trappings

that video is fully sick

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

it reminds of kings field 1 a lot, a lot

thats why it owns tho

I like that all the shopkeepers are other people that got lost and just decided to open a shop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

hubris.height posted:

I liked the fact that it gave you a reason to kill a bunch of monsters on each floor, so by the time you got all the pages filled out in the book for a floor you were usually strong enough to take on the next floor. It made progression feel very fluid and engaging. Also there are enough new, non-standard-Wizardry classes that it didn't feel like I was just playing another of the millions of Wizardry-likes that Japan pumps out. I told the Vita thread back when I was first playing it that I wouldn't have cared if I was fighting a bunch of sweaty muscly guys instead of monster girls, a fun, solid game is a fun, solid game.