Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Just a little something I painted up for a painting comp at a local GW. Rules were it had to be Halloween/Horror themed, so Harley Quinn themed Harlequin it was.

Not pictured: Dropping her what must have been half a centimetre and having her arm shoot across the room to get stuck in some neckbeard's coat. Also the drunken swearing while trying to get those bloody freehand diamonds vaguely neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

The painting is super-good, but I don't understand what's going on with her left hand.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I finished up my Warboss today, Goldtuf Skullsplitta. This dude was really fun to paint, and I like how the little bits of conversion work turned out.

My camera's kinda lovely so I couldn't get a good close up of the rokkit that's meant to be a Bullet Bill.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

That's cool as gently caress, nice work

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Digging the hat. Is that a piece from a Guard kit or...?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

SteelMentor posted:

Digging the hat. Is that a piece from a Guard kit or...?
It's from the Nork Deddog commissar skull bit, as is the grenade skull and Aquila armor plate thing. Some good bits in there!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Those are some nice clean checkers, on that gun, SRM. Good poo poo as always.

SteelMentor posted:

Just a little something I painted up for a painting comp at a local GW. Rules were it had to be Halloween/Horror themed, so Harley Quinn themed Harlequin it was.

Not pictured: Dropping her what must have been half a centimetre and having her arm shoot across the room to get stuck in some neckbeard's coat. Also the drunken swearing while trying to get those bloody freehand diamonds vaguely neat.

I dig it. Your freehand was tedious, but its a solid result. The color palette is hard not to like either. If you are looking for any feedback, I think you could push your highlights even more to really make it pop. If you're going for a more subtle look what you have works great too!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

SRM posted:

It's from the Nork Deddog commissar skull bit, as is the grenade skull and Aquila armor plate thing. Some good bits in there!

With the angle in that first shot, I thought his hat was a cleaver stuck in his head at first. Which in fairness, would be a pretty orky thing to do.

Are you freehanding your checkers or taping them off?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

grassy gnoll posted:

With the angle in that first shot, I thought his hat was a cleaver stuck in his head at first. Which in fairness, would be a pretty orky thing to do.

Are you freehanding your checkers or taping them off?

Freehanding, then going back to clean them up after. Taping them off would be insane in that small an area, I think. I've done taping for caution stripes before but paint always got under the tape and made for some goopy ugly messes as a result.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
The trick there is to paint over the tape with the base colour first, then any spillage underneath is in the base colour, and therefore less detectable and easier to clean up, and none of the stripe colour goes under because the base colour seals it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

thespaceinvader posted:

The trick there is to paint over the tape with the base colour first, then any spillage underneath is in the base colour, and therefore less detectable and easier to clean up, and none of the stripe colour goes under because the base colour seals it.

I'm sat here wondering why that had never occurred to me before.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

It came up in this thread even I think, but I've originally seen it as a tip for house painting I think.

You can instead do it with varnish as the sealer layer if it's preferable not to use a solid colour or you're painting on a gradient or whatever.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Oh gently caress me that's so simple

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Hot drat. This is news to me too. Thanks thespaceinvader I will legit use this.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

I just got back to this thread after a bit away from the forums, and I can't decide if that's a good staring emoticon or a bad staring emoticon.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

thespaceinvader posted:

drat, that's a good technique! I'll definitely use that next time I'm doing tape stuff.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I'm so surprised nobody knew about this. Don't you follow the DIY&Hobbies minis thread?

You should, it has hella good tips.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

he DIY&Hobbies minis thread

I wasn't even aware there was one.

ed: OK I still can't find it, link?

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Oct 31, 2015

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Must be this one, feels like a lost colony. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3148869

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3148869

e; f, b.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
That's not a minis thread, that's a scale models thread. :colbert:

(and yeah I know that one, figured you were talking of wargaming minis)

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Converted Repentia. Hardly my best work, but I wanted to try some freehanding again. Still can't get anywhere near as nice as Darkstar. :smith:

Edit: Found my proper camera to take in-focus shots. Reposted images below.

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 1, 2015

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Z the IVth posted:

Converted Repentia. Hardly my best work, but I wanted to try some freehanding again. Still can't get anywhere near as nice as Darkstar. :smith:

Don't sell yourself short; that crosshatch pattern on the cloth is fantastic. Plus, you've managed to give the model an overall look that is setting-appropriate grimdark but cheery enough to fit in at a hive city roller derby match. :hfive:

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

My second attempt ever at highlighting, if you compare it to my first, this one is a vast improvement.

I haven't done any line fixing, since i'm actually quite satifisied with how this turned out, now i just need to wait for the remainder of my paint to arrive, so i can finish the metal bits and get this one sealed with varnish. Right now i'm rubbing paint off on rivets and sharp corners.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I visited the mancave last Monday and got some pictures of my recent projects:

Ancient Chuck got himself a new hat a bit back for maximum overkill:

Captain Raziel of the 'Dorn's Fourteenth' Second Company, with his Command Squad

I love these old metal minis, they have huge character.

Senior Captain Garion (counts-as Pedro Kantor) with a three-man Honor Guard

Closeup of the Sr. Cpt himself

The chapter banner is festooned with dozens of names for the various important worlds where vital battles were fought, with a suspiciously placed boltgun hole..

Honor Guard with sword. I like how genuinely upset this guy looks.

I've poo poo things that looked better than you!

Chapter Champion with custom power scythe (used as either a relic blade or thunder hammer, depending on whim and preference)

I WILL gently caress YOU UP! :black101:

And some new entries - some Mechanicum/Mechanicus for a mancave 'house army':

The Thallax turned out properly menacing:

Skitarii rangers with a poo poo-ton of arc weapons:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Repost of my Repentia. Funny how a newer (bridge!) camera can't do something as simple as macro focusing and metering without a shitton of fiddling with the manual controls. Oh Fuji I should never have left you for Sony.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Oath crosspostin'

JerryLee posted:

I was worried for a while that these weren't going to turn out competently, even for tabletop purposes, since I was racing to finish them before the deadline. It didn't help things when my wash came out way darker than I'd thought it would (I was trying to use some cheap inks). I ended up having to do a highlight pass at the last moment, which I'd been hoping to get away without doing on the rank and file of this army. But it didn't take very long and I like the way it came out overall!

:ghost: :hb: :quig:

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
Oaf Complete! I tried a tutorial for metallic painting on the bull, and while it's a little messy, I like how it turned out. Pumpkin beholder was tricky since I forgot how fussy orange paint can be, and the Necromancer half-orc is a great little mini. Also next month I've gotta get a lightbox.

BOO!

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Is it ok to cross-post things from the oath thread? I'm pleased with how my black-and-white Seishin turned out, especially with only an hour or so of painting today, rushing to hit the deadline.

Bonus pic with a flame for colour, to prove it's actually all b&w

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Weirdo posted:

Oaf Complete! I tried a tutorial for metallic painting on the bull, and while it's a little messy, I like how it turned out. Pumpkin beholder was tricky since I forgot how fussy orange paint can be, and the Necromancer half-orc is a great little mini. Also next month I've gotta get a lightbox.

BOO!

Uh, Weirdo. I think you mixed up your threads :v: I was curious about the fact that your xpost isn't in a quote box like others usually are, so I checked, and you don't seem to have posted to the Oath thread yet, possibly having confused this thread for the Oath one. If you don't see this before tomorrow, I'd avoid editing your post, and post to the Oath thread explaining the mixup!

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Pyrolocutus posted:

Uh, Weirdo. I think you mixed up your threads :v: I was curious about the fact that your xpost isn't in a quote box like others usually are, so I checked, and you don't seem to have posted to the Oath thread yet, possibly having confused this thread for the Oath one. If you don't see this before tomorrow, I'd avoid editing your post, and post to the Oath thread explaining the mixup!

Oh damnit, that's what I get for posting on Halloween, but thanks for pointing it out.

Weirdo fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 1, 2015

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I get really bored painting the exact same color scheme over and over, but I want to play Warpath. How do youse guys feel about multiple color schemes in a single army? How can I make it look good?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

signalnoise posted:

I get really bored painting the exact same color scheme over and over, but I want to play Warpath. How do youse guys feel about multiple color schemes in a single army? How can I make it look good?

I think you still kinda "rank up" dudes in Warpath, so it should be easy to make paint schemes on a unit-by-unit basis. Just have a couple unifying concepts between them (shoulder pad with a campaign badge, etc).

Might look better on the spaceskaven or to represent different spacedwarf whatevers. The corporation are spacehumans and spaceorks, IIRC, so you could go that route.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Z the IVth posted:

Repost of my Repentia. Funny how a newer (bridge!) camera can't do something as simple as macro focusing and metering without a shitton of fiddling with the manual controls. Oh Fuji I should never have left you for Sony.

Oh, swapped the head for a Necromunda model and sculpted some hair? Real nice work, love how much detail you lavished on this one.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
I bought some silicone clay shapers on a whim, and I just want to say holy poo poo. These things are amazing at smoothing greenstuff out. If you don't have any, I highly recommend getting some.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
When it comes to greenstuff, the 4 things I learned that made it way easier to do:

1- Using vegetable oil
2- Waiting 15min after mixing
3- Clay loving shapers
4- Gluing it into place

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

BULBASAUR posted:

4- Gluing it into place

Do you mean waiting for it to cure and gluing it on, or gluing it on and then working with it?

The only thing that's still a pain for me is sculpting really small surface details, since the putty sticks to the tool so easily. Even water/vegetable oil doesn't help, since it seeps under the putty, and then it can't adhere to the mini. (Technically, the last time I did this was with ProCreate, not greenstuff.)

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

pro x-post from the 40k thread:

Hixson posted:

30k is cool and you guys should all play it.

I don't have my photo stuff setup so you get my workbench. Here's my Thousand Sons so far:

The Javelin is my first airbrushed model. I'm p. pleased with how it came out!

glam shot of the shoulder pads:

About half the infantry were done by brush and the other half with an airbrush. Here's a comparison shot with the airbrush on the left:

I'm going to try and push the airbrush highlights a bit more next time!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
My first WIP in months that is perhaps worth giving a poo poo about. The mistakes are imperceptable at table distance. What should I add to this to finish it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

signalnoise posted:

My first WIP in months that is perhaps worth giving a poo poo about. The mistakes are imperceptable at table distance. What should I add to this to finish it?

Washes on everything except maybe the purple. Clean up those couple blue bits on the purple. Even though you can't necessarily see then at table height, a little bit goes a long way on that front.