Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Bad Munki posted:

Because I don't want to commit to that sort of long-term relationship with the toilet for something as quick as taking a piss. It's a matter of overhead, you see.

I bought a padded toilet seat and dammit I'm going to get my $17 worth of sitting time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Sorry I'm late.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Speaking as someone who's going to be installing asphalt shingles soon, got any advice for me? I've yet to start reading tutorials / watching videos, but it'd be good to know some basics about what not to do at least.

Also, opinions re: roofing nails -- hot-dipped galvanized or stainless steel?

Either is good. But use roofing nails. Yes, a 1"-1-1/4" nail will go through the decking if it's 5/8" or less, unless you're using, like 50-year shingles...but that's OK:

For asphalt or fiberglass shingles, you want at least four nails, just above the slots. That way, you also hit the top edge of the shingle on the row below, so you get eight nails per shingle.

Javid posted:

Well, we're not doing that, at least. I'm curious how the one we're installing would stack up.

I assume the plastic strip on the right is the tape line?

We're doing four nails/staples across the middle of the shingle, about an inch above where the next row will overlap. We started hand nailing Monday, then yesterday he brought a staple gun and we were making good time using 1" crown staples, today the customer showed up and pitched a fit about how staples suck and all the shingles would blow off, shortly before idly musing that he's not a roofer and doesn't know how we can manage to walk around up there.

The existing roof is all stapled and has lasted however long. At least we have a nailgun now. They're like inch and a half galvanized nails with really wide heads.

DO NOT USE STAPLES. I believe you when you say the original roof had them, but they got lucky. Stick with the nails.

After a good wind event, we could always tell the roofs that were stapled down: most of the shingles would come off in huge swathes, while the houses all around it had like maybe a half-dozen individual shingles off here & there.

Looks like you have laminate shingles there. Yes, that;s the tape line, and make sure you hit both layers on each shingle. That roof has a low enough pitch that you don't need to add additional adhesive to your laminates,

For laminate shingles:

By that way, every bundle of shingles should have that instruction printed on the wrapper.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Oct 28, 2015

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
That's what we did. The vast majority are nailed - we were stapling for maybe 3 hours of the 20 we spent on this project. We'll see if that exact patch flies off!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

meh, it probably won't.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

:perfect:

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
http://imgur.com/gallery/zbFJ3d3

Failure saved by paint?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

I like how their response is to just pile a bunch of blankets under it and hope for the best.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

That's load-bearing paint now.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

In the US, it's Harvest Gold instead of Avocado. Every house built in the 70's had a Harvest Gold bathroom. I have one myself. It's horrid but, as David Mitchell says, "I wash my balls in it" Why should I care?

It could be worse, the original kitchen had bright orange countertops with dark stained wood cabinets. I know because there's a piece of the old countertop in the garage and I use the old cabinets for storage. They were left in the basement when I bought the house.

When I re-did our master bath, I found the original wallpaper under the mirror. It was zebra stripes, over orange and green stripes, over a fuzzy sort of cloth green and yellow number which was the first. I'm pretty sure the house would have induced vomiting when it was built in '74.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Avocado was super common for kitchen appliances in the 1970s United States though.

The house I grew up in was built in 1954, and has medium grey tile work with pink tile accents, and a pink toilet/sink. (Shower is grey and pink tile, with a terrazzo floor that matches the rest of the house, no tub.)

The other bathroom (mine) is seafoam green and pink tile. Sink, toilet, and tub are pink.

There's another house in the neighborhood with a dark brown and pale blue bathroom, including brown tub/toilet/sink.

:downsgun:

Edit: the problem with all the bathrooms (other than the sometimes-questionable colors,) in the neighborhood is that the tile work is absolutely superb, and simply cannot be matched at any price now. Dead-straight rows, with properly planned spacing, very little "oh poo poo I'll us a single row of quarter-cut right here." All that is tucked behind the door, or at the corner of the shower. I makes modern tile work in this area look loving sad, by comparison.

MrYenko fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 1, 2015

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

MrYenko posted:

Avocado was super common for kitchen appliances in the 1970s United States though.

The house I grew up in was built in 1954, and has medium grey tile work with pink tile accents, and a pink toilet/sink. (Shower is grey and pink tile, with a terrazzo floor that matches the rest of the house, no tub.)

The other bathroom (mine) is seafoam green and pink tile. Sink, toilet, and tub are pink.

There's another house in the neighborhood with a dark brown and pale blue bathroom, including brown tub/toilet/sink.

:downsgun:

I used to live in a late 50's house where the main bath had the sink, tile, toilet and tub in a dental-plate pink. I finally got rid of it, I got tired of imagining that I was bathing in King Kong's mout.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

MrYenko posted:

If it's the color I'm thinking of it's not even pink. It's this awful...mauve? I don't even know, but I hate it.

quote:

Edit: the problem with all the bathrooms (other than the sometimes-questionable colors,) in the neighborhood is that the tile work is absolutely superb, and simply cannot be matched at any price now. Dead-straight rows, with properly planned spacing, very little "oh poo poo I'll us a single row of quarter-cut right here." All that is tucked behind the door, or at the corner of the shower. I makes modern tile work in this area look loving sad, by comparison.

I'd noticed this. So what the hell happened? Is proper tile installation lostech?

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe
Inexpensive skilled labor, and a good work ethic are hard to find these days. You can make more money if you slap them up and move on.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

One Legged Ninja posted:

Inexpensive skilled labor, and a good work ethic are hard to find these days. You can make more money if you slap them up and move on.

I would be more inclined to expect that the crappy tile jobs haven't survived sixty years' worth of use and were therefore replaced. So the only tile jobs we see from back then are the good ones.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

There's a retro bathroom movement to try and save those pink bathrooms and bathroom suites. When you get rid of yours someone else might pay you for it.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

There's a retro bathroom movement to try and save those pink bathrooms and bathroom suites. When you get rid of yours someone else might pay you for it.

I wonder if people will see granite countertops and whatnot the exact same way in fifty years.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

So the only tile jobs we see from back then are the good ones.

Good point. This also applies to just about every other aspect of building, as well. We typically only see the over built, highly ornate buildings survive this long (on this side of the pond, anyway.) The other ones probably rotted apart, and by the time the homeowners noticed, the master carpenter had removed his business from the guild and registered a new one under a different name. :haw:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

One Legged Ninja posted:

Good point. This also applies to just about every other aspect of building, as well. We typically only see the over built, highly ornate buildings survive this long (on this side of the pond, anyway.) The other ones probably rotted apart, and by the time the homeowners noticed, the master carpenter had removed his business from the guild and registered a new one under a different name. :haw:

While this is partially true: when was the last time you saw a new-build house that was built with genuine craftmanship and skill - rather than MDF and adhesives?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

spog posted:

While this is partially true: when was the last time you saw a new-build house that was built with genuine craftmanship and skill - rather than MDF and adhesives?

There's a family that runs a general contracting business where my parents live. They put in a subdivision, and the first four lots went to the family members. The GC, the lead framer, the electrician, and the plumber. Those four houses were masterworks.

The rest of the houses in the subdivision were pretty good, as the family prides itself on good worksmanship, but nowhere NEAR as perfect as those model homes.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

OSU_Matthew posted:

I wonder if people will see granite countertops and whatnot the exact same way in fifty years.

I really hope that people aren't crazy enough to think that wood grain ceramic tile is worth preserving.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shifty Pony posted:

I really hope that people aren't crazy enough to think that wood grain ceramic tile is worth preserving.

IT BELONGS IN A MUSEUM

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

spog posted:

Plenty of custom built homes are built with quality that might be considered "genuine craftsmanship", though they likely involve a great deal of adhesive.

Builders are ever innovating new ways to cut corners and save on material and labor costs, but at the same time, the standards they're cutting from keep increasing (for the most part). In the 1920's and 1930's, many master painters refused to paint insulated houses, because they were seeing such high failure rates with peeling paint. The biggest problem was that master carpenters (displaying their skill and dedication to quality, I presume) paid so little attention to flashing that they often omitted it entirely. With no insulation, the resulting leaks in the siding would usually dry out fast enough to avoid problems, but with insulation, it was a disaster.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

OSU_Matthew posted:

I've seen granite countertops that way since the beginning.

For a baking/candymaking surface? Great. But they suck for everything else other than aesthetics.

I suppose that's all most people care about as it seems few people actually cook anymore (at least around here).

spog posted:

Regularly. But they are typically the ones that are $1m+ or belong to a contractor who is building their own house to live in long term.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

In another 20 years those hideous 70s bathrooms are going to be in style again with minor modification. I always thought 90% of granite countertops looked gross. Quartz or butcher block all the way.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

KillHour posted:

In another 20 years those hideous 70s bathrooms are going to be in style again with minor modification. I always thought 90% of granite countertops looked gross. Quartz or butcher block all the way.
Take a look at a 50 year old butcher block counter top and see if your opinion changes

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nitrox posted:

Take a look at a 50 year old butcher block counter top and see if your opinion changes

One that's been maintained properly? No, it won't.

Something that has been abused, not properly oiled and never sanded when necessary? Of course that's going to be a disaster.

And sometimes things just wear out and need to be replaced.

The whole reason you see very few true butcher block countertops is because they require this kind of care. (I'm not talking about butcher block that's been encased in some kind of clear plastic).

I wouldn't want all block counters, but as a center island or a just part of a section as a functional work surface? Hell yes. In fact I have a big chunk of butch block that is going to get used as a center island in my kitchen.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
For every well-preserved butcher block I've seen, there are dozens that didn't make the cut. Anything that requires a frequently re-seal-able top coat is not meant for wear and tear duty in my honest opinion. Especially in the kitchen, where a porous surface would breed bacteria. I've recently stopped at an old gas station store that had a butcher block counter. The section by the register had a 1/4" indentation where people would place their shopping items. It looked kinda cool, actually

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I would likely do quartz with a smallish butcher block insert that can be removed as a work surface. Possibly one that can be switched out with a marble insert if I ever decide to bake (or live with somebody who does).

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

KillHour posted:

Could you post examples of granite you consider gross looking?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Could you post examples of granite you consider gross looking?

First result in Google image search for "granite countertops."

Gross.

Kind of neat looking, I suppose? Will be completely outdated in 5 years nonetheless. Cabinets are hideous.

Eeeew.

If I woke up to that bathroom every morning, I would probably slit my throat with my razor and just bleed out all over that horrible vanity.

Edit: As for things that I think look good and are relatively timeless:

Engineered quartz.

This is what I'd probably go for. I love the grey, and you can accent it with whatever color you want while still making it easy to remove the accents if the person buying your house doesn't like red.
(I know you can get it in any color you want. I'm just saying I'd personally go with a neutral grey.)

Quartzite is also cool if you want the more natural stone look.

And then stained concrete. Cheap, durable, and very attractive done well.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 1, 2015

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Wood surfaces don't allow bacteria growth the way you'd expect. Plastic boards are nasty, all those little nooks and crannies from knife use turn into safe harbors for bacteria.

A butcher block island would be cool but I don't think it'd be great for the whole counter. Too annoying by the sink.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

KillHour posted:

I love the grey,
Psst, the picture is black and white :D

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nitrox posted:

Psst, the picture is black and white :D

Yes, I'm aware. I still love a solid grey countertop.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

spog posted:

I've seen a few, but they were paying out the rear end to have a builder who had the reputation to put on the line for building top notch poo poo.

It's why I want to build for my place, because I want to know the spec it was built to and catch the botches while they're easy to fix.

Motronic posted:

I've seen granite countertops that way since the beginning.

For a baking/candymaking surface? Great. But they suck for everything else other than aesthetics.

I suppose that's all most people care about as it seems few people actually cook anymore (at least around here).

Regularly. But they are typically the ones that are $1m+ or belong to a contractor who is building their own house to live in long term.

Granite counters, butcherblock island. Best of both worlds. Get a good butcherblock and you can just belt sand/plane off the top every decade or two if it gets too badly gouged and re-oil.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 1, 2015

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

At least can we all agree that grouted tile is an awful idea for countertops?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Shifty Pony posted:

All this poo poo is subjective. Install whatever you like in your kitchen/bathroom/sex dungeon

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nitrox posted:

For every well-preserved butcher block I've seen, there are dozens that didn't make the cut. Anything that requires a frequently re-seal-able top coat is not meant for wear and tear duty in my honest opinion. Especially in the kitchen, where a porous surface would breed bacteria.

Butcher block when properly oiled is quite sanitary. Real, actual butchers use it every day to cut the meat you likely purchase at a store. At the butcher shop I go to they've had the same ones for DECADES and a couple of them are lightly bowl shaped now from use.

When you say "re-seal-able top coat" it leads me to believe you are thinking about the fake butcher block I was referring to earlier......butcher block that's been coated with poly or something is really inappropriate for using as a cutting surface for food. It's just for looks.

Also, LOL at "not meant for wear and tear duty in my honest opinion." All of these commercial butcher shops must have been so wrong for so many years now.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?

Shifty Pony posted:

The house we're renting is tiled with some sort of awful terra-cotta tile and poorly mixed, unsealed grout. It also looks like it was installed by someone with diplopia. It's horrendous. We actually talked about what we would do the make this house better if we owned it, and it basically involved demoing the entire inside and rebuilding it :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The ideal countertop surface is machined tungsten. :colbert:

No but in all seriousness, every material available has advantages and disadvantages.