Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
That bike looks rad as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Agreed. Keep us posted on your progress. I'd love to see how it turns out, and how you sort out any issues with conversion.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

EX250 Type R posted:

CBR250 wheels are ~100 bucks shipped on ebay while the cheapest supermoto wheels I can find are still 600-700 shipped. Those are OEM honda crf250M wheels from Thailand, other brands obviously get much more expensive. There are some minor issues id need to figure out regarding a front brake rotor and bracket but that is a lot easier to do with poo poo in front of me rather than googling other people's anecdotes.

edit:

Looks loving sick. Do it.

Also, remember that cbr250rs have silver or black wheels, one might look better than the other with the silver engine (that's if you have the normal white/black/red scheme).

Barnsy fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Oct 26, 2015

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Anyone have any idea what this front fender/headlight is?

Found the picture in google images but the link is dead.

edit: Apparently it was an older plastics set from Suzuki. Doesn't seem like they're available anymore though.

Partial Octopus fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Nov 1, 2015

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Partial Octopus posted:

Ugly.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Partial Octopus posted:

Found the picture in google images but the link is dead.

edit: Apparently it was an older plastics set from Suzuki. Doesn't seem like they're available anymore though.

http://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/parts-accessories/super-moto-appearance-kit-drz400sm-2006-09.html

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

$409.99 :gonk:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Can you really put a price on style though?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

builds character posted:

Can you really put a price on style though?

Nope.

Id totally do one though if I didn't already have the eye of sauron on the fucker.

theres also a dakar faring out there for ~450

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, don't look up the price of that exhaust then

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

So I put a new exhaust on my drz and did an airbox mod. The bike is running lean so I bought a jet kit to fix things. I bought this kit: https://www.thumpertalk.com/shop/JD-Jetting-Jet-Kit-DR-Z400S-SM-p2006766373.html

I also posted on the thumpertalk forums and asked how to jet it. I was told to use these settings.
160mj - Blue #4 - 25pj - 2 3/4 turns out.

I have never had a carbed bike before so this is all new to me. What does Blue #4 mean and what am I supposed to turn out 2 3/4th turns? Also is this something I can do just by watching a youtube video or should I take my bike to a professional?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
blue needle, clip 4, air/fuel screw 2.75 turns out.

Its not so bad, but just be drat careful you don't fuckup the diaphragm.

(dont force it, don't pinch it, don't jerk on it like its your own)

JIS screws on the floatbowl.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 4, 2015

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Partial Octopus posted:

So I put a new exhaust on my drz and did an airbox mod. The bike is running lean so I bought a jet kit to fix things. I bought this kit: https://www.thumpertalk.com/shop/JD-Jetting-Jet-Kit-DR-Z400S-SM-p2006766373.html

I also posted on the thumpertalk forums and asked how to jet it. I was told to use these settings.

I have never had a carbed bike before so this is all new to me. What does Blue #4 mean and what am I supposed to turn out 2 3/4th turns? Also is this something I can do just by watching a youtube video or should I take my bike to a professional?

Airbox mod and rejetting is the best thing I ever did for my DRZ, and surprisingly easy. I found the hardest part to be getting the carb out of the frame. Its in there tight!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
#4 meaning position of the little C-clip on the needle. You'll understand when you see it.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Partial Octopus posted:

The thing you're turning out 2.75x is the pilot screw. It's the screw that you can access through the little hole in the bottom of the float bowl. Without taking the carb apart.

Exhaust + airbox + carb + used E-model* cams is a nice, easy, and relatively cheap way to mod the DRZ. Mine is pretty willing to hit 102-103 (indicated) on flat ground, and will hit the governor at 107 if I go down a hill.

*The E-model cams are pretty close to the ~Stage 1 Hotcams~ that you can get, but they're literally half the price used on Ebay. Unless you're planning on building almost an entire new motor (heavy duty valves, new bored out top end, bottom end/stroker kit) don't bother with anything more aggressive than that. Also enjoy your $1500-2000 DRZ motor that will barely outrun a stock WR450.

e: I think I still have a -1t front sprocket kicking around somewhere. Should I put it in next time I have the bike apart and see how wheelie happy it gets now that I have cams?

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Nov 4, 2015

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Marxalot posted:

e: I think I still have a -1t front sprocket kicking around somewhere. Should I put it in next time I have the bike apart and see how wheelie happy it gets now that I have cams?

Good train of thought.

-1 front.....14, or 13?

I run 14/47 on dirt, 14/44 on sm. I've 1-3 drz, 4-5 act WR kit though. wheelies are just a flip of the wrist away.

good budget upgrade when you get cams in is the CV40 klrshitfiddy carb. It worked fine even on my bike until I was able to rebuild the FCR39

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
February can't come soon enough. I live in loving supermoto heaven. Old rail yard area, roads too destroyed for your normal car (my Volvo bottomed out horribly crossing the tracks and my car is about 3/4 inch lower than stock). My other bike is still in the suburbs. I need to just ride it home and deal with it in my little garage...

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Thanks for the advice regarding the carb.

How should I drill out the cap for the air fuel screw?

Also, is the settings I was recommended good to start with? I live in pittsburgh. The altitude is 1365 ft. I'm running the yoshi rs2 exhaust with the 3x3 mod.

Partial Octopus fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 4, 2015

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Partial Octopus posted:

Thanks for the advice regarding the carb.

How should I drill out the cap for the air fuel screw?

Also, is the settings I was recommended good to start with? I live in pittsburgh. The altitude is 1365 ft. I'm running the yoshi rs2 exhaust with the 3x3 mod.

Use a drill bit

The settings are probably good, the people at Thumpertalk know their stuff.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I don't understand why people love the JD kit for the BSR36 but I had such terrible luck with their FCR39MX kit on my DRZ. Their jetting suggestions were horribly, stupidly rich and all of the powersports places I talked to that do dirtbikes just started laughing when I told them I was using JD needles.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Yerok posted:

I don't understand why people love the JD kit for the BSR36 but I had such terrible luck with their FCR39MX kit on my DRZ.

You kinda answered your own question on this one.

Yerok posted:

Their jetting suggestions were horribly, stupidly rich and all of the powersports places I talked to that do dirtbikes just started laughing when I told them I was using JD needles.

Whose suggestions? Did they say why JD needles are so bad? Its just a carb tune, I dont get it.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
The jetting suggestions from JD are horrible. For example, they recommended a 47 pilot with a 100 pilot air jet. The general recommendation as per thumpertalk forums is a 45 without a pilot air jet or a 38 with one. A 47 with a pilot air jet is so rich that there's no throttle response off idle at all.

Their FCR MX (can't speak to the slant body) kit includes two needles with different root diameters. The intention is that one needle is for general use and the other is for ice racing and winter riding. Both of them made my DRZ run horribly. They also recommend main jets around 165-175 depending on which needle you're using.

All in all I spent about 2 months of messing around with their needles and talking to them to try to figure out what the gently caress was going on. Eventually I ended up going back to genuine Keihin needles and a slightly richer pilot and main and everything's fine. Supposedly the JD needles have a triple taper and according to all the supermoto/powersports guys I talked to at Road America this summer they're snake oil bullshit.

:downsgun:

tl;dr: JD FCR needles are special snowflake needles made by some guy that thinks he's smarter than the engineers at Keihin.

Yerok fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 5, 2015

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

JB50 posted:

Use a drill bit

The settings are probably good, the people at Thumpertalk know their stuff.

To build on this, put a few rounds of tape on the bit at desired depth so that you dont mar the A/F screw with the drill bit.

E: gently caress JD kits

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
The Moose jet kit for the BSR comes with a nifty little aluminum spacer with a set screw to set the bit depth for just that reason.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
That's why it's a kit. What works for someone else doesn't mean it'll work for you.

The guys on TT or whatever know what numbers to suggest because they swapped jets around until they found settings that work.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Yeah. I was just surprised that the FCR kit is widely regarded as lovely by professionals when the kit for the Mikuni carb is generally recommended. Apples and oranges I guess.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

What is the best way to remove the c-clip on the needle?

Figured it out.

Partial Octopus fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 5, 2015

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

XYLOPAGUS posted:

February can't come soon enough. I live in loving supermoto heaven. Old rail yard area, roads too destroyed for your normal car (my Volvo bottomed out horribly crossing the tracks and my car is about 3/4 inch lower than stock). My other bike is still in the suburbs. I need to just ride it home and deal with it in my little garage...

Oh god, are you in 5th ward or something?

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Marxalot posted:

Oh god, are you in 5th ward or something?

Nope. South side of I-10 at Heights Blvd. Road infrastructure in terrible shape, but that's typical for Houston proper. It will allow for proper hooning, though!

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Ok so I managed to successfully rejet my carb. What should I be looking for to make sure that it's jetted properly or improperly?

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
Ride it! Let it warm up, do some pulls, see if you feel hesitation anywhere in the Rev range.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

If you're like I once was, lurking this thread and wishing you too could hoon, buy my DRZ: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3119867&pagenumber=59#post452363066

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Go try to do some 2nd gear wheelies.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

For those of you with trailtech vapors. Did you wrap the rpm wire around the outside of the spark plug cable or did you attach it directly to the coil?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Partial Octopus posted:

For those of you with trailtech vapors. Did you wrap the rpm wire around the outside of the spark plug cable or did you attach it directly to the coil?

I did it around the cable. Seems to work well enough.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I did the same. it seems a little jumpy but not too bad. Not sure if I'd get much of an improvement if added more wraps or not. I'm at 5 right now.

Did you drill the magnet sensor to the brake caliper? I was thinking of just drilling it to the fork fairings instead.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I want to say I did 4 or 5 too. For the sensor I just ziptied it to the fork. Hasn't fallen off yet.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
My supermoto wheels have arrived along with a cbr250 front caliper bracket and front brake rotor. I am still waiting on the bolts to mount the rotor and i have to remove the bracket from the cbr caliper (or swap the calipers with the bracket still attached) and I still need to get crf450 master cylinder.

The cbr250 front brake disc is slightly larger than the crf's (296mm vs 256mm) and the crf450 master cylinder was recommended for the crf250l as a good upgrade, I think it would still carry over to the slightly larger rotor.

The rear 17" tire will be a 3.5% reduction in size but the CBR250 rear sprocket is stock 38t vs. the crf's 40t and seems to unique to the cbr250/300. I run -1/+2 (13/42) on the crf and it is borderline okay so I don't want anything taller. Tyga makes aluminum rear sprockets for the cbr up to 46t so I should be good to go but I don't know if I want 42t or 44t. I seem to recall a saying (wrt to mustangs at least) to the effect of if you want 4.10 gears then get 4.30s but im not sure if 13/44 would be too short. I think the top speed would be around 65 with that set up on the 18" rear, which would be fine for all my riding except going TO work.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

So I finally got a chance to ride the drz a bit tonight. The re-jetting, 3x3 mod and pipe made a huge difference. The bike feels way more responsive. I'm still getting a very very small amount of backfiring when I'm engine breaking hard. Does that mean I'm still running lean or is that pretty normal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco
Normal.

What pipe did you end up going with? Everyone likes the mrd but god dang is that thing loud.

• Locked thread