Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, its great for stunning them. I find I can usually get in a quick axe chop between stunning bashes on Stormvermin.

I really like HW+Shield. Of course, I also like 2handed hammers too, but I find I take more damage using them since I get so much more aggressive with wading into rat packs with huge swings.

Tonight was hilarious. Between your shield and mine, most of the chaff enemies spent more time on their asses than on their feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I hate how there's no action queuing at all to change weapons or use items like goddamn. I have gotten into a panic where I need to pull out a grenade and I am hitting 5 and clicking over and over and over and it's like someone trying to let you into a car and yelling at you to take your hand off the handle and give them a second to click the button but also I'm watching my three friends bleed out and i'm getting stabbed to death while they take their sweet loving time finding the button.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So there's a hidden achievement for breaking 500 objects :v: never not be smashing bottles in the inn

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Ayn Randi posted:

So there's a hidden achievement for breaking 500 objects :v: never not be smashing bottles in the inn

I got that one today by just shooting bottles out of boredom for the past week and then finding out the mounted candles in the Red Moon Inn were destructible.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
so what are you peoples go to weapons for characters?

Dwarf = Mace + Shield, Handgun
Soldier = 2h Mace + handgun
Elf = ??? I don't play her
Wizard = Ritual Sword + Conflag staff
Witch Hunter = 2h sword + crossbow.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I just had a weird experience where I joined into this guy's game but everyone was dead but the host including me. I was about to skip out but then I said no wait for the xp. But then I noticed the host was dead. And everyone was dead. And I look at myself and I'm below the map. I'm in a hell. I have the you are dying sounds blaring otherworldly in my ears. I have died but I am not allowed to pass on. I do not reincarnate. I am stuck in a hell.

My eyes wander upward. Gruber, also dead, pantomimes swinging a baseball bat forever. Kirillian, also dead, mimes a cat from the musical Cats forever. The dwarf host is in a third corner of the map away from the others and is hopping. Hopping up and down forever.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=545898762

He beat the game somehow and I got the dagger/sword combo upgrade I wanted. It was a good wait but I feel like I've lived a thousand years and just wandered out of a hellraiser dimension.

A Lamer
Jul 2, 2006

I got a sword and shield with the killing blow (normal) trait on it, and now the fun has finally begun. 15% chance that while spamming left click, stormvermin mysteriously disappear forever. :getin:

Now if only I could get a handgun.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

TipsyMcStagger posted:

so what are you peoples go to weapons for characters?

Dwarf - Hammer + Shield or 2h Hammer + Handgun
Soldier - Mace + Shield or 2h Sword + Handgun
Elf - Sword & Dagger + Longbow
Wizard - Haven't played enough to get an idea for
Witch Hunter - Literally never played

Since a goon mentioned earlier that the right click attack on a longbow pierces enemies, I've been using that for hordes and works out quite well. The two-handed hammer for the dwarf is a-mazing and makes me feel like i'm hewing through swathes of skaven right good.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Dwarf - Axe and shield with either a handgun or drakefire pistols.
Soldier - two-handed hammer and repeater handgun (specifically an exotic) or regular handgun. Good with a shield too.
Elf - Sword and dagger and longbow. That bow is really the only option.
Wizard - Conflagration staff and really any of the melee options. The fire sword is the coolest though.
Witch Hunter - Rapier and pistols or crossbow. The two-handed sword is good, but the rapier is unique and rules.

Honestly, the soldier with a two-handed hammer and an exotic repeater handgun is my favorite loadout in the entire game. He is a goddamned one man wrecking crew. :getin:

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Is conflagration the kind of staff you shouldn't bring to nightmare? I loved my white one, but that's because in normal I could detonate them on top of friends and they don't vote kick me. I just got a blue one so I was wondering if I could put down the bolt cage yet. If it's a huge hassle then I should not get used to it?

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Is conflag the ground effect? Then it's OK for nightmare I think. Same with the beam staff's shotgun blast. No friendly fire for either.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Oh that's nice. What about the bolt cage's right click spear? I threw it at a gutter runner, but someone else killed it, and I couldn't tell if I hurt that poor witch hunter when he stood up and caught it right in the back. It should have been an absurd amount of damage but he seemed fine.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Game is fun, I am enjoy.

I didn't really click with the bright wizard in the beta but it just feels right at the moment, got a really good handle on heat management and usually manage to top the table (not that it really matters). Also the soldier's two handed weapons are so much fun when you get into the rhythm and pacing of stepping forward/back and timing the swings.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Krinkle posted:

Oh that's nice. What about the bolt cage's right click spear? I threw it at a gutter runner, but someone else killed it, and I couldn't tell if I hurt that poor witch hunter when he stood up and caught it right in the back. It should have been an absurd amount of damage but he seemed fine.

Nightmare friendly fire is a mere percentage of the damage you cause. My longbow will do a part of a square of health for example, if I shoot shoot a teammate because they ran in front of me with my bow drawn and actively shooting skaven. :laugh: Burn effects though, they will deal more friendly fire because of the innate damage over time effect.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
When you hit a rat in the face with a mace it looks like it really, really hurts

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Player steals and hogs all potions? Check!
Player runs off on their own and doesn't help others? Check!
Player doesn't pick up tomes or grimoires to help out? Check!
Player is an elf: CHECK!!!!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

redweird posted:

When you hit a rat in the face with a mace it looks like it really, really hurts

That's why i prefer the hammer weapons. They look so surprised!

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Al Borland posted:

Player is an elf: CHECK!!!!

You didn't verify if they bitched or not if you guys didn't save them from a gutter runner or packmaster.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I joined a Morr's mid match on Hard and two people were on a domed mausoleum you're not supposed to reach and the third was Marioing his way over. It broke the rats off course. But why bother? It's the crescendo of Morr's that's the tricky part. loving pubbies.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, the bar on the weapon indicator is the safe zone.

It's helpful when you overheat and switch to melee, because any change means it's safe to switch back and burn rats again.

Not that the game mentions you cool down with your sword out, why you have redundant meters, that the second only monitors "safe" heat, the audio cues, or anything else about how BW works...

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Heat works vaguely and dare I say in an arcane way, but yeah basically the indicators mark the position that its safe to vent in, the idea is you either burst, firing a large number of projectiles and than cool down over a long time while swording or you fire a few, than vent for more consistent shooting.

or if you don't care to wait you can 'burn' health while venting at unsafe levels and burst like a loving maniac... Really quiets the nerds if you can pull that off without getting downed much.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I like killing rats

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
All my other weapons are pretty bad to average but the other day I picked up an orange brace of pistols for Witch Hunter with 40% reduced spread and 80% chance to pierce. You can mow down patrols almost single handed if you line em up and wait half a second between shots.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Brasseye posted:

All my other weapons are pretty bad to average but the other day I picked up an orange brace of pistols for Witch Hunter with 40% reduced spread and 80% chance to pierce. You can mow down patrols almost single handed if you line em up and wait half a second between shots.
Jesus I want those guns. Add more ammo in some way and you've got what seems like a perfect set. Maybe knockdown instead.

Donnerberg posted:

I joined a Morr's mid match on Hard and two people were on a domed mausoleum you're not supposed to reach and the third was Marioing his way over. It broke the rats off course. But why bother? It's the crescendo of Morr's that's the tricky part. loving pubbies.
One reason I wouldn't run Morr if I didn't know the group is that the last difficulty spike is basically the end. After you get there with full grims/tomes (which takes a while) you then might just hard wipe in seconds, which can be frustrating. Like someone earlier suggested, a check-pointing system giving you some loot die based on progress would be nifty.

I hope they do more with alt-attack than just the rapier, though. While I like the uniqueness of it, it'd be a shame to waste the keybind/mechanic.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I'd give anything for the pistol button to shove poo poo with the bright wizards staffs.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

One reason I wouldn't run Morr if I didn't know the group is that the last difficulty spike is basically the end. After you get there with full grims/tomes (which takes a while) you then might just hard wipe in seconds, which can be frustrating. Like someone earlier suggested, a check-pointing system giving you some loot die based on progress would be nifty.

Morr's kinda weird in that the finale is honestly quite easy; it's just also the only one that doesn't guarantee health items towards the end of the map. So even more than usual, it's completely up to RNG whether it'll be a total cakewalk or nearly impossible. I kinda appreciate that it does something different, but the big problem with these maps that do things differently or add in some increased difficulty is that they have the exact same rewards as the more consistent, easier levels.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing
So, they fixed the exploit where you stand on that one beam on Horn of Magnus..... but now you can stand on the beam on the OTHER side!!! I just had a wiped group where the group leader (elf natch) bitched out a guy for dying off the beam, then died himself trying to rescue the guy, then ragequit while screaming 'gently caress you noob'. You'd think people would at least be willing to roll the dice if they're that close to the end, a couple of lost bonus dice isn't so bad???

edit: quick question - my blue BW Fireball staff seems to have a small penetrate / AoE on the primary attack; is this usual for staffs? The default never seemed to be able to hit more than one enemy at once.

immortal flow fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Nov 1, 2015

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Stop playing with loving pubbies

Bots are better than the mouth breathers running horn.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Drythe posted:

Mind you, bots also occasionally just derp the gently caress out. Gunner in the rear? They might refuse to accompany you forward while completely failing to kill the rat, making you risk charging forward to force them to teleport to you. Snatcher grabbed you? They might get ensnared in the walls or just straight-up go braindead while you choke to death.

Vermintide's non-organized group play is a real RNG, just like its loot game.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Seriously, if they fixed the bots' Ratling Gunner behavior and polished up the pathfinding I would never play with pubbies again.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing

Drythe posted:

It's the first bad group I've had :shobon: and that was just the one guy. Europe is mostly alright it seems.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Conflag staff is bad staff. Don't use it.

I've lucked into a mace that has healing on kill and a 20% chance to vent heat when you hit things. Lately I've been using the beam staff and shotgunning hordes until I'm near overheated, then switching to melee and venting. You just play the BW like kind of a skirmisher - two or three rats run up to you, shove them with the mace, and then either power attack them (which one hit kills clan rats / slave rats, even on nightmare) or shove them back, tap Q and shotgun them. The shotgun clears out hordes hilariously well too.

The beam is even OK at killing specials - a second or two of focus on their head and they die.

The best thing is that this allows you to play BW reasonably effectively on nightmare, which I haven't figured out how to do otherwise, both because she doesn't do enough damage and because of FF

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

terrorist ambulance posted:

Conflag staff is bad staff. Don't use it.

What in the world are you on about? Conflag is loving killer, it's fireball and bolt that's bad.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Uhhh, the conflag staff is great on Nightmare. The AoE doesn't hurt allies and sets everything on fire.

You need to realize you aren't one shotting things anymore in nightmare, the fire does a gently caress load of damage to a bunch of rats and it causes them to panic and stop attacking you since they are on fire.

Dr. Video Games 0117
May 25, 2006
On dates I like to...
I feel stupid for only now realizing that the Gray Wizard's name is a play on Criss Angel, a famous wizard from our real world.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Shotgun does one shot things in nightmare. So does other weapons (ie: good two handers for WH or soldier). Conflag does knock things back and set them on fire, but I don't really feel like it does enough for the amount of heat it generates. Especially given that it requires you to stand there winding up to aim your right click, which is an excellent way to lose all your health to getting stabbed in the rear end the entire game

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

redweird posted:

Sometimes when you hit rats their body just explodes into paste, god that's satisfying.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Shotgun does one shot things in nightmare. So does other weapons (ie: good two handers for WH or soldier). Conflag does knock things back and set them on fire, but I don't really feel like it does enough for the amount of heat it generates. Especially given that it requires you to stand there winding up to aim your right click, which is an excellent way to lose all your health to getting stabbed in the rear end the entire game

You can still dodge around while winding up conflag/fireball.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP2qCfvhcIE

Not dead. Blue Staff on Nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
step your staff game up

edit:

anyways I don't care enough to record a youtube about it. If the conflag staff works for you, OK

terrorist ambulance fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Nov 1, 2015

• Locked thread