Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
so how about those new space books out huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ed balls balls man posted:

How old's the space ship? :colbert:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

ed balls balls man posted:

I'll actually jump on this: I need space navy stuff to read. I've already churned through the entire Baen catalog (Honor Harrington, Legacy of the Aldenata, Lt. Leary, all that), Mike Resnick's Starship series, the Starfire books, just finished Joel Shepherd's Kresnov books and Renegade the other day... I need suggestions where to go next.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Darth Walrus posted:

On the other hand, harem of fourteen-year-olds. I feel that this doesn't get brought up often enough as a caveat for CTE.

It's also rapey in other ways and there's the whole "getting salty towards middle east immigrants" thing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

RndmCnflct posted:

Pedophilia is banging kids under 11 and there was nothing even remotely close to that happening.

Given that you acknowledge what was going on with nobles and their dicks during those times maybe what you are describing is something known as a "character flaw", apparently a large part of storytelling.

Character flaws need to be recognised as bad and something to develop out of/get screwed over by in the story for the criticism to have any bite. CTE really, really doesn't do that - the harem of sexy fourteen-year-olds is just a pleasantly forbidden reward for our Mary Sue hero to indulge in.

And yeah, let's not get into nitpicking about paedophilia, hebephilia, and so on. It inevitably goes to bad, bad places.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've almost finished The Library at Mount Char and I've been really enjoying it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

WarLocke posted:

I'll actually jump on this: I need space navy stuff to read. I've already churned through the entire Baen catalog (Honor Harrington, Legacy of the Aldenata, Lt. Leary, all that), Mike Resnick's Starship series, the Starfire books, just finished Joel Shepherd's Kresnov books and Renegade the other day... I need suggestions where to go next.

The Paradox series by Rachel Bach is pretty drat fun. I'm on the second book (of three) and really enjoyed the first one. Parts of it bring to mind some aspects of Warhammer space marines.
https://www.goodreads.com/series/112130-paradox

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

WarLocke posted:

Passage at Arms, by Glen Cook. It's heartwarming fluff about brave heroes fighting the good fight in their glorious starship.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

I've almost finished The Library at Mount Char and I've been really enjoying it.

I just finished it and it left a bad taste in my mouth.

It wasn't particularly well written, some of the characters were bland (see my previous comment about Erwin), the pacing was weird (the climax happens at about the 65% mark), and half the book was overlong mundane digressions: the bar scene/burglary, the meeting in the president's office, Steve's foray into Garrison Hills with all the dogs then the interminable escape into town to get Naga to a vet, among others. The author also cheapened death to such an extent that toward the end (when Steve starts killing himself) it ceased to have any narrative impact at all.

I guess it was partly a case of mistaken expectations. After the first few chapters of being introduced to these people with god-like powers and hints of a potentially interesting mythos, that whole side of things isn't explored much at all until the last quarter of the book.

Ben Nerevarine fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 1, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of disappointment, I just finished No Return. Thing should've been called No Payoff: the only thing that happens is that a)one of the main characters gets killed off, b)two of the main characters get together. The problem is I just couldn't be arsed to care about any of the characters. Now, the underlying mysteries of the setting and the whole "God is an astronaut from a colony ship" deal - I'm spoilering that to be safe but you'll probably infer this from the loving prologue - remain not only vague but decidedly underdeveloped. Admittedly the whole thing ends on a sequel hook but after how little happened in the first one I'm honestly not sure I'd bother reading that.

The blurb on the cover that compares is to Wolfe is so far off the mark it's not even funny. Like, okay, there's a lot of aimless wondering and unexplained bits but the language isn't anywhere near - and I honestly doubt a reread would reveal anything interesting.

edit: Also, Jernigan is oddly fond of pointing it out whenever his characters get sexually aroused. Which happens about every ten pages. I'm talking of stuff like "seeing the other guy wield such power gave him a throbbing erection"; go figure.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 1, 2015

RndmCnflct
Oct 27, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

Character flaws need to be recognised as bad and something to develop out of/get screwed over by in the story for the criticism to have any bite. CTE really, really doesn't do that - the harem of sexy fourteen-year-olds is just a pleasantly forbidden reward for our Mary Sue hero to indulge in.

And yeah, let's not get into nitpicking about paedophilia, hebephilia, and so on. It inevitably goes to bad, bad places.
I do agree with you, it's kind of hosed up. But reducing the whole story to a "harem of sexy fourteen-year-olds" is a disservice because there is a whole hell of a lot more going on.

I just finished the third book and found it incredibly entertaining. On to the fourth.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Shab posted:

I just finished it and it left a bad taste in my mouth.

It wasn't particularly well written, some of the characters were bland (see my previous comment about Erwin), the pacing was weird (the climax happens at about the 65% mark), and half the book was overlong mundane digressions: the bar scene/burglary, the meeting in the president's office, Steve's foray into Garrison Hills with all the dogs then the interminable escape into town to get Naga to a vet, among others. The author also cheapened death to such an extent that toward the end (when Steve starts killing himself) it ceased to have any narrative impact at all.

I guess it was partly a case of mistaken expectations. After the first few chapters of being introduced to these people with god-like powers and hints of a potentially interesting mythos, that whole side of things isn't explored much at all until the last quarter of the book.

I pretty much agree with all of this. I didn't think this was a good book at all.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Drifter posted:

The Paradox series by Rachel Bach is pretty drat fun. I'm on the second book (of three) and really enjoyed the first one. Parts of it bring to mind some aspects of Warhammer space marines.
Looking at the reviews there's a romantic subplot that sounds pretty terrible and receives too much of a focus.

Those actually put me off on reading the first book.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Mars4523 posted:

Looking at the reviews there's a romantic subplot that sounds pretty terrible and receives too much of a focus.

Those actually put me off on reading the first book.

The romantic subplot is very minor and pretty goddamn basic and not a point of contention, and fine for what it is. I am with you in that I find most 'genre' romance to be pretty lovely. If you're saying it grows and unrealistically develops and gets worse in the next books...well
:negative:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 1, 2015

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
So anyway can we go back to when I was being accused of saying that all sf/f authors are unable to write characters who ever experience emotions except anger 24/7 in all cases? Yeah.

those were the good old days before Piers Anthony's parachute account came in here

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Drifter posted:

I bought Fortune's Pawn on a Kindle daily deal for $2 and felt ripped off, it was so bad. Lesson learned: look inside before buying because this one was bad from page one with its post-coietal "As you know, Bob," dialogue.

Everything is cliche and uninspired, from the super generic SF concepts right down to the phrasing. I thought I'd give the "female space marine" concept a shot because it sounded refreshing, but it's still the same braindead testosterone-fueled bullshit I've read/seen countless times before, just with lady bits fused on. I wanted so much more from a woman writer writing military fic from a female POV. I don't know what I was expecting, but it sure as hell wasn't as trite as this garbage.

The main character is completely unlikeable from the start. It's like the author took the Top-Gun Douchebag (as in, the antagonist from Top Gun) and thought making that kind of character female would be totally badass and cool. Not so much—she's just another total dickhead, but with tits.

I have to admit, I didn't get much further than chapter two before the horrible writing went from being funny to "gently caress this." I got past the point where she goes, "A maaaaaayn!" at the hunky cook dude, thinking maybe I could deal with a bit of space romance, cheesy as it looked starting out (but not if she continues to be such a shallow douchebag). I stopped at the point where she beat up the roid-ragin dude in the power suit to show him up because gyrrrrrl power. That scene was just… gently caress it I'm out.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 1, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Stuporstar posted:

I bought Fortune's Pawn on a Kindle daily deal for $2 and felt ripped off, it was so bad. Lesson learned: look inside before buying because this one was bad from page one with its post-coietal "As you know, Bob," dialogue.

Everything is cliche and uninspired, from the super generic SF concepts right down to the phrasing. I thought I'd give the "female space marine" concept a shot because it sounded refreshing, but it's still the same braindead testosterone-fueled bullshit I've read/seen countless times before, just with lady bits fused on. I wanted so much more from a woman writer writing military fic from a female POV. I don't know what I was expecting, but it sure as hell wasn't as trite as this garbage.

The main character is completely unlikeable from the start. It's like the author took the Top-Gun Douchebag (as in, the antagonist from Top Gun) and thought making that kind of character female would be totally badass and cool. Not so much—she's just another total dickhead, but with tits.

I have to admit, I didn't get much further than chapter two before the horrible writing went from being funny to "gently caress this." I got past the point where she goes, "A maaaaaayn!" at the hunky cook dude, thinking maybe I could deal with a bit of space romance, cheesy as it looked starting out (but not if she continues to be such a shallow douchebag). I stopped at the point where she beat up the roid-ragin dude in the power suit to show him up because gyrrrrrl power. That scene was just… gently caress it I'm out.

Well, I won't go too far in defending the book, but wow, that's not what I got from it at all. Not even from the first two chapters. I'll grant some well known tropes were in use, but :shrug:

I can't really find a common ground with what you're saying.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Drifter posted:

Well, I won't go too far in defending the book, but wow, that's not what I got from it at all. Not even from the first two chapters. I'll grant some well known tropes were in use, but :shrug:

I can't really find a common ground with what you're saying.

Maybe you're just not as sick of this poo poo as I am, which is fair.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Grimson posted:

Carol Berg is great, I love all her stuff (I especially love Bridge of d'Arnath but I am apparently in the minority) however, she definitely has one story she tells in very different ways: Powerful sorcerer learns that the foundations of his beliefs about the world and magic are untrue; Consequences. I think what I really enjoy about Berg is that her characters are varied and interesting and more complex than average.

Yeah, I think what turned me off about Bridge and Rai-Kirah is that I tried to read both immediately after Lighthouse and Beast, which made it really obvious that it was the same basic story -- and I didn't think either of those were as good, which is not a good combination with also being longer.

Definitely going to check out Collegia Magicka, though.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Crab Destroyer posted:

That saying someone "grows up" is actually an incredibly vague way to describe character development? It works in most cases, but when a character has as many flaws as Quentin it's hard to believe the author intends to fix all of them. Quentin could find a way to contribute to society instead of being a privileged freeloader without dealing with any of his emotional or social issues and that would still be "growing up".

I dunno. A lot of people hate Quentin but I found him to have enough of a sense of humour never to be insufferable despite clearly being a broken person. Ditto for the rest of the characters in the series. I find a lot of criticism levelled at the series (and I don't necessarily mean you, you seem smarter than this) comes from people who demand "likeable" protagonists, which I've never really understood. "Likeable" protagonists, especially in SFF, too often tend towards Mary Sues. Give me flawed, hosed up, damaged people any day of the week.

I also think readers who demand "likeable" characters (again, not talking about you) are sort of in denial about their own character flaws and negative attributes. We all like to think we'd be Harry Potter, but we're probably more likely to be Peter Pettigrew. I'm not saying I was an emotional manbaby like Quentin was, but at the time in my life when I read The Magicians - when I was about 22 and had left university and was settling down in a new city - something about Quentin's urge to craft some sort of narrative meaning from his life, and his increasing horror at the fact that his life wouldn't go that way, definitely struck a chord with me.

Anyway, SPACE CHAT! I've nearly finished reading Galactic North by Alastair Reynolds which I picked up from the library on a whim, and I've really enjoyed it. I read Revelation Space a couple of years ago, which I thought had a cool universe but came undone through his lovely dialogue, empty characters and poor pacing. Galactic North is a collection of short stories set in the same universe and I think he may be a better short story than novel writer - he just shows a lot more restraint, and I don't mind his limited writing ability (par for the course in sci-fi I guess) when he's just using it in service of a short, creepy mystery, rather than a drawn-out 400 page mystery.

But yeah, I really like the universe: not a big bustling space opera full of thousands of planets and alien species, but rather a cold and frightening place littered with the lonely ruins of long-extinct species, in which humanity has only settled a few other hostile worlds - often with a post-apocalyptic vibe, like the city where some kind of nanotech plague has wreaked havoc and made the very buildings start to melt. It's one of those few pieces of fiction which captures the sense of horror and dread inherent in space exploration (a lot like the first Alien film, I think).

Ahh Yes
Nov 16, 2004
>_>
I totally have to agree with the goons talking about Luna: New Moon, easily my favourite Sci-Fi book of the year.

Comparing it to Neal Stephenson's Seveneves, where 'that bit' left a bad taste in my mouth. Or KSR's Aurora which was about on par with Seveneves, but with an austere dullness (in comparison to the moon blowing up -- maybe that was the point though?).
It was still fascinating and KSR's perspective about extra-solar colonisation was something I hadn't really considered before, so I'm definitely glad I read it...but...

With Luna: New Moon, I hope he writes a sequel (given how clearly the set up for one was crafted -- i.e. that cliff hanger!). I read the book with adrenaline pulsing through my veins to get through it all in about 2 nights. I found it hard to get to sleep if I felt I could continue reading. Which I haven't experienced for a long time. It was definitely pretty great to read a more character driven book. Which was especially well executed character driven plot with a rich world.

Everything going on in the book just seemed so plausible to me (or if not - pretty awesome anyway), even down to the rich Australian mining family (some kind of freak amalgamation of BHP/Gina Rinehart and Rio Tinto :getin:) dominating mineral extraction on the Moon.
As well as the incredibly hedonistic and superficial society emerging from the isolation of Earth in the throws of environmental challenges.

It's probably a real cliche` to classify a book as 'Game Of Thrones in X', but I'd say that it is accurate to call it Game Of Thrones on the Moon. It's a shame I haven't been able to get into Ian McDonalds other stuff yet, it just doesn't have the same level of appeal to me as nearish-future science fiction in space.

Give me space or give me death I say!

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

chrisoya posted:

Passage at Arms, by Glen Cook. It's heartwarming fluff about brave heroes fighting the good fight in their glorious starship.

You little bastard.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

freebooter posted:

Anyway, SPACE CHAT! I've nearly finished reading Galactic North by Alastair Reynolds which I picked up from the library on a whim, and I've really enjoyed it. I read Revelation Space a couple of years ago, which I thought had a cool universe but came undone through his lovely dialogue, empty characters and poor pacing. Galactic North is a collection of short stories set in the same universe and I think he may be a better short story than novel writer - he just shows a lot more restraint, and I don't mind his limited writing ability (par for the course in sci-fi I guess) when he's just using it in service of a short, creepy mystery, rather than a drawn-out 400 page mystery.

Strange, because I would say the exact opposite is true. I'm a huge Reynolds fan but other than "Diamond Dogs" and Zima Blue", I haven't really cared much for his short stories.

Neurosis posted:

Of the three books in the Zones of Thought universe, only one is subpar, and it's mostly a setup book so I can excuse it. A Deepness in the Sky is as good if not better than A Fire Upon the Deep. Its big ideas aren't as cool and imaginative as A Fire Upon the Deep, but it is MUCH better written.

That's good to hear. I'm about 150 pages into "A Fire Upon The Deep" and I'm absolutely loving it.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Ahh Yes posted:

With Luna: New Moon, I hope he writes a sequel (given how clearly the set up for one was crafted -- i.e. that cliff hanger!).

Always intended as a duology, I believe., so don't worry.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm starting the Vorkosigan Saga tonight, with the omnibus Cordelia's Honour. I keep hearing how amazing this series is.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Hedrigall posted:

I'm starting the Vorkosigan Saga tonight, with the omnibus Cordelia's Honour. I keep hearing how amazing this series is.
Prepare yourself for the worlds least-threatening and biggest-mouthed character that the author totally wants to bone.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Hedrigall posted:

Be advised: The first half of that omnibus does have a bit of "first novel" syndrome. Also allegedly the early drafts started out as Star Trek fanfic. The second half was written a few years later and shows a more practiced author.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Oh, cool. Book 3 of Seven Forges is coming out in a couple of days.

City of Wonders is the title.

Amazon has it on sale at the moment for a bit cheaper than the usual kindle prices.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 2, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Oh, cool. Book 3 of Seven Forges is coming out in a couple of days.

Blade of Wonder is the title.

Amazon has it on sale at the moment for a bit cheaper than the usual kindle prices.

I'm seeing it as City of Wonders.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

WarLocke posted:

I kind of liked the lost fleet series by jack campbell. Regular joe doing his dutygets stuck in an escape pod and awakens 100 years in the future. He then has to lead the alliance fleet home after it gets trapped in enemy space.

It feels like a regular space novel to me nothing exotic really lept out at me except it using very realistic propulsion, weapons, sensors and time relativity distortion.

And for CTE series I actually never really thought about the relationships he had, just "oh he bangs some commoner peasents while building an empire to defeat the mongols. "

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

flosofl posted:

I'm seeing it as City of Wonders.

Yea, edited the post. I had a few tabs open and mashed up 2 different books I was looking at.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Groke posted:

Be advised: The first half of that omnibus does have a bit of "first novel" syndrome. Also allegedly the early drafts started out as Star Trek fanfic. The second half was written a few years later and shows a more practiced author.
Also feel free to stop with the series whenever it stops being interesting. It's rather repetitive.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Chillyrabbit posted:

I kind of liked the lost fleet series by jack campbell. Regular joe doing his duty gets stuck in an escape pod and awakens 100 years in the future. He then has to lead the alliance fleet home after it gets trapped in enemy space.

But what can you tell me about battlecruisers

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Magicians series chat: I started off liking the second book, and thought Renard the Fox's storyline was great until it got rapey as all getout which really ruined the whole thing for me.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Lev and his foxes, am i right?? :furcry:

There's some offscreen comeuppance for Reynard in book 3. It's a little bit satisfying.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Mount Char was pretty good. There were a lot of ideas shared with The Magicians condensed into one book. I prefer the idea of metaphorically destroying your humanity to master the craft.

The caper in The Magician's Land was more fun than various fights in Mount Char. I'm convinced you could cut that series down to two excellent books.

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 3, 2015

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Hedrigall posted:

There's some offscreen comeuppance for Reynard in book 3. It's a little bit satisfying.

There was that, at least. I just really get irritated when authors use rape and pedophilia to demonstrate how truly evil their antagonists are, it's a real hack move and as cliche as it is distasteful.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Started Shadows of Self and was reminded that tinfoil hats are a completely useful thing in that universe. Owns.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Filthy Hans posted:

There was that, at least. I just really get irritated when authors use rape and pedophilia to demonstrate how truly evil their antagonists are, it's a real hack move and as cliche as it is distasteful.

"...and then that fucker just cut right in front of us at Starbucks. What a truly evil shitbag. Zero consideration. I mean, I have places to be too, you know?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Filthy Hans posted:

Good analyses of that scene (and Julia's role in the books more broadly) here and here.