Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Bruceski posted:

The only way they could *really* fix Alderaan is by destroying the planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

jesus christ ahahaha

I was actually thinking about this today while playing my light side sith warrior, there's elements to the old republic's empire that you could spin as positive, such as their meritocracy, but that meritocracy comes by way of brutality and a lack of compassion ie you screw up even once you just loving DIE which I suppose is a neocon's wet dream

I've started to view the sith as an evil bureaucracy, the constant infighting and dumb dogmatism means nothing progresses and stupid poo poo happens near constantly

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

cat doter posted:

jesus christ ahahaha

I was actually thinking about this today while playing my light side sith warrior, there's elements to the old republic's empire that you could spin as positive, such as their meritocracy, but that meritocracy comes by way of brutality and a lack of compassion ie you screw up even once you just loving DIE which I suppose is a neocon's wet dream

I've started to view the sith as an evil bureaucracy, the constant infighting and dumb dogmatism means nothing progresses and stupid poo poo happens near constantly

And of course being white human may not guarantee you a spot at the top of the "meritocracy" but you have a much easier time getting a chance to show it.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I'm realizing now after all these years of Star Wars related stuff that Nar Shadda (And to a lesser extent, Coruscant) are basically Los Angeles from Blade Runner.

Nice job, George.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Outside of raiding where am I going to get the best gear in kotfe?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Rasmussen posted:

Outside of raiding where am I going to get the best gear in kotfe?

Common and glowing crystal vendors basically. As far as Im aware, a full set of glowing crystal stuff (216) is more than enough for anything non-operations based.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

D-Pad posted:

So when I last played flashpoints didn't have solo so I skipped them. At lvl 50 I see the two flashpoints on Ilum have solo mode. How exactly do they fit into the story? Should I finish the Ilum quest before I do Battle of Ilum or just anytime? Is there a guide for when I should be doing flashpoints so it aligns with the main story quests?

just fyi, the ilum quest line that leads you into those flashpoints won't let you solo them for quest credit. They are easy in a tactical group though, just the second one is fairly long. I ran through this earlier today hoping to solo it but the quest won't let you.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

phosdex posted:

just fyi, the ilum quest line that leads you into those flashpoints won't let you solo them for quest credit. They are easy in a tactical group though, just the second one is fairly long. I ran through this earlier today hoping to solo it but the quest won't let you.

You get 2 quests. One story one to compelete the instance. And one for the instance in tactical mode. Drop the second and pick up the solo version from the quest giver at the instance door.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, but there's now an official way to trade PVP comms between characters.

The PVP items vendor right next to the mission terminal on fleet sells legacy bound commendation boxes for 100, 500, or 1000 warzone comms. When opened, they grant the same number of comms back.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

D-Pad posted:

So when I last played flashpoints didn't have solo so I skipped them. At lvl 50 I see the two flashpoints on Ilum have solo mode. How exactly do they fit into the story? Should I finish the Ilum quest before I do Battle of Ilum or just anytime? Is there a guide for when I should be doing flashpoints so it aligns with the main story quests?

Finishing Ilum should lead you right into Battle of Ilum and then False Emperor right after that.

This guide lists the order of everything from before 4.0:

But not everything has a solo mode and a lot of the raids/fps are "self-contained" stories that aren't terribly interesting so you don't have to do it all.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Where do I get new weapons while leveling? I'm playing real casually, just f2p, but at the end of the story missions that reward them it tells me I need the hutt cartel expansion to use the quest reward weapons.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Alright, you've collectively tempted me to try again - I've clicked someone's referral link, and I understand I should be Imperial. LET'S GO GOONS.

(I haven't played since like, a month after launch :ohdear:)

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Longbaugh01 posted:

I'm realizing now after all these years of Star Wars related stuff that Nar Shadda (And to a lesser extent, Coruscant) are basically Los Angeles from Blade Runner.

Nice job, George.

Well, the truth is both Blade Runner's Los Angeles and Coruscant borrow really heavily from Fritz Lang's Metropolis. As does every sci-fi movie with a futiristic city, really. Coruscant is more of a direct homage than most, since Star Wars is kind of a postmodern "movie about movies."

I can see the Blade Runner similarity more with Nar Shaddaa, with all the neon in the darkness, but I feel like it was kind of a missed opportunity in SWTOR because they pushed so hard for it to have a Las Vegas vibe instead, so it's kind of too bright and clean and roomy. I feel like some gloomy weather and heavier distance fog would have really set it off. I also feel like the "vertical city" concept would work better if all you see when you look down between buildings is a roiling fog bank, instead of generic "city" tiles where the scale always seems off. That would also differentiate it quite a bit from Coruscant.

If you could make mods for MMO's the way you can with single-player RPG's, I'd overhaul the poo poo out of Nar Shaddaa.

Also on the subject of Nar Shaddaa, I played through the Republic-side planet arc there last night (at level 51 lol) and noticed another simplified quest. When you go to collect codes from wardens in Shadow Town, you don't need to find all 4 or 5 different types of warden anymore, it apparently just completes after you grab any two codes.

I still killed a bunch of wardens, just because gently caress the Police.

Phosphene
Aug 11, 2008
I'M NOT TRYING TO GET BIG AND BULKY OKAY WE ALL FAIL DIFFERENT GOALS

Phosphene posted:

I would really like to play this game alone but since the patch i can't get passed the loading screen after the launcher. I've tried editing the confign to set fullscreen to false, deleted bitraider, ran the launcher patch fixer and done a clean install twice. Clicking around the forums results in all that and that's it. It worked before the patch and now nothing. :( anyone have any ideas?

I should have known better than to try to ask a question in the middle of spoiler lore chat, so i'm reposting. Anyone had a similar issue?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

With Nar Shadda and Coruscant they really needed to sell the idea of this is a city planet and not just a series of corridors better. Corellia of the 1-50 planets felt the most like a real city, as confusing and terrible as it is to navigate. Meanwhile NS and Coruscant just feel too cramped and narrow, no room to breathe or take in any sites. In FE you go to a different city planet and it works there, largely because you're in the open a lot more and can look up or down and see just towering buildings.

For NS I'd have loved to be trapped in the lower levels with skyscrapers towering above you, little light, dark, grimy dirty, neon. Coruscant should've had you in the upper levels, moving from building top to building top, seeing all the glitz and glam. Sad they can't go back and do those two better.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Turbl posted:

Finishing Ilum should lead you right into Battle of Ilum and then False Emperor right after that.

This guide lists the order of everything from before 4.0:

But not everything has a solo mode and a lot of the raids/fps are "self-contained" stories that aren't terribly interesting so you don't have to do it all.

Is there a list of what got a solo mode and what didn't? It seems like every time I take a FP during the course of leveling it gives me the Tactical and I can't figure out how to drop it and get the solo version.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Slim Killington posted:

Is there a list of what got a solo mode and what didn't? It seems like every time I take a FP during the course of leveling it gives me the Tactical and I can't figure out how to drop it and get the solo version.

The 4.0 patch notes lists them. And you have to drop the Tactical quest when you get to the entrance and talk to the quest guy at the entrance to select solo mode.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Phosphene posted:

I should have known better than to try to ask a question in the middle of spoiler lore chat, so i'm reposting. Anyone had a similar issue?

A lot of people had that issue after the last patch but BW hotfixed it. I'd suggest looking through the helpdesk site and see if there's a solution that works for you, if you haven't already.

Hepdesk: http://answers.ea.com/t5/STAR-WARS-The-Old-Republic/bd-p/star-wars-the-old-republic-en

Some possible solutions?

http://answers.ea.com/t5/STAR-WARS-The-Old-Republic/Game-won-t-start-after-4-0-1-patch/m-p/4904103#U4904103

http://answers.ea.com/t5/STAR-WARS-The-Old-Republic/Swtor-stuck-on-loading-screen/td-p/4881881/highlight/true/page/3

http://answers.ea.com/t5/STAR-WARS-...ght/true/page/2

http://answers.ea.com/t5/STAR-WARS-The-Old-Republic/Infinite-loading-screen/m-p/4892535/highlight/true#M3205

http://answers.ea.com/t5/STAR-WARS-The-Old-Republic/Can-t-get-past-splash-screen/td-p/4907970/highlight/true/page/2

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

Slim Killington posted:

Black Talon (Level 10)
Esseles (Level 10)
Boarding Party (Level 29)
Taral V (Level 29)
The Foundry (Level 29)
Maelstrom Prison (Level 29)
Directive 7 (Level 45)
Battle of Ilum (Level 48)
The False Emperor (Level 50)
Assault on Tython (Level 53)
Korriban Incursion (Level 53)
Manaan Research Facility (Level 53)
Legacy of the Rakata (Level 53)
Blood Hunt (Level 55)
Battle of Rishi (Level 55)

Those are all the ones with a solo mode. I think to get the solo mode you drop the [TACTICAL] quest and then speak to the NPC outside the instance and select solo mode.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Nice, thanks.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

More streamlined questing stuff: For that Alderaan quest where you have to set the Ulgos up the bomb, no more traipsing around their fortifications in order to get to the storage building containing said baradium detonator, for there is now a handy little ramp leading directly to the place. :keke:

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Turbl posted:

Those are all the ones with a solo mode. I think to get the solo mode you drop the [TACTICAL] quest and then speak to the NPC outside the instance and select solo mode.

This is confusing so many people. I even got caught trying to solo a tactical once because I spaced it, and I'm about as old a hand at this game as anyone. It really seems like solo should be the default. I mean, if you are in a group and you run solo mode by accident, you'l do just fine.

As long as I'm being an insufferable armchair game designer:
After finally picking up Treek, and also playing with Nico Okarr and a lot of the other new companions, I've noticed that companions that aren't class-specific still never react to old conversation choices. I understand if they don't participate, because that's more expensive voice acting and dialogue branches and stuff, but it seems like simple approve/disapprove reactions could so easily be a universal thing. I feel like the way to do it is to have a bunch of keywords for tagging conversation choices, stuff like "funny" or "pro-empire" or "altruistic" or "greedy.," maybe with a few basic degrees of intensity attached, and then any companion could be set up where they like or dislike stuff based on those keywords, and then they don't have to go through and manually decide who does and doesn't like each individual line. Basically it would just work kind of the same way the gifts do. Then if you wanted to play through your whole class story with Treek or HK or Nico Okarr, they would have automatic approve/disapprove reactions, you could get some influence as you go and they'd feel less like static background props in cutscenes. Why it's not already set up like this, I could not guess.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Why it's not already set up like this, I could not guess.

:effort:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

So I'm picking an advanced class for Inquisitor. I wanna level as ranged lightning all the time but I also wanna have a tank for endgame. Is Hatred a mostly ranged spec or do you have to be in melee to get the most of it?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

So I'm picking an advanced class for Inquisitor. I wanna level as ranged lightning all the time but I also wanna have a tank for endgame. Is Hatred a mostly ranged spec or do you have to be in melee to get the most of it?

As I recall you still have to get pretty close and a lot of the procs are spread by melee attacks, yes.

There is no ranged tank type spec that's actually viable in this game, they always have at least one important ability that is melee.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Just finished KOTFE, and I really wish HK-55 had been voiced by Keith David, because it would have made the escape-from-carbonite-storage sequence completely awesome. (Baby, don't hurt me no more.)

Also, I'm not sure it will be too much fun to take alts through the same thing again and again, but I'm looking forward to my trooper running into Tanno, and especially my agent meeting up with Scorpio :swoon:.

Also also, I'm so pissed they killed Darth Marr; we had just become Jedi-Sith bros. :mad:

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

That's kind of why I'm confused, though. It seems like manually setting up each individual companion to like/dislike each individual conversation choice was a far more labor-intensive way to do it. I'm not a programmer, though, so I could be totally wrong.

And yeah prefect I was :woop: all over the place when Scorpio showed up.

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012
Medullah and I discussed this briefly last night, and it's time to try some hard mode raiding. I'll put the group together to tackle the week's highlighted operation around 8 Eastern Time tonight. There was a time when goons could clear the Dread Fortress with ease. Let's do it again! We'll probably wipe eight times on Draxus and then run off to HM EV to get someone a mainhand.

People new to HM or DF are very much welcome. I do ask that you have (1) at least a little knowledge of how your discipline's rotation works and (2) mostly 208/216 gear with at least weapons and armor augmented. That should give us a good amount of leeway to make mistakes while still getting through the fights.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Nerd Of Prey posted:

That's kind of why I'm confused, though. It seems like manually setting up each individual companion to like/dislike each individual conversation choice was a far more labor-intensive way to do it. I'm not a programmer, though, so I could be totally wrong.

And yeah prefect I was :woop: all over the place when Scorpio showed up.

I think they did it that way for the base game, so to do it the way you suggest would mean going back and redoing all the old poo poo, was my point.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

How does augmentation work? It's different from normal modification, right?

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Fuzz posted:

I think they did it that way for the base game, so to do it the way you suggest would mean going back and redoing all the old poo poo, was my point.

Well, you're right about that, but I was talking about why the hell they did it that way to begin with AND why not overhaul that while they were overhauling the entire companion/affection system...

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012
I wish Bioware would increase the drop rate of the planetary display decorations that drop from the alliance crates. I reached influence rank 20 with all my alliance guys and I still don't have all of them.

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

How does augmentation work? It's different from normal modification, right?

Yep. You craft or buy an augment kit (MK-8 is the best) and then use it at an Item Modification Table (we have one on the guild ship, across from the item storage) to add an augment slot to a piece of gear. At that point, it's just like normal modification. The current best augments are Advanced ____ Augment 40, but the blue version (______ Augment 40) are almost as good at less than a third the price on the GTN, so they're a strong choice if you're on a bugdet or not sure which type to get.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
How are packs on the Cartel Market going to work now? When the Underworld Alliance pack is replaced by something new, are they going to be unavailable to buy or will they keep the old ones around too?

I ask because I got a Sith Recluse Breastplate which goes for about 8mil and I'm wondering if I should cash in or wait until it becomes even rarer.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
So is there just no way to transfer crystals to alts now? Tried the usual channels to no avail.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Reactivated my account, and trying to sort out my old main. Since none of your companion's gear changes their stats I'm assuming its fine to just bin most of the returned gear I got in the mail and put them in their original gear. I'm rocking some Columi and Tionese gear which I'm sure is poo poo now. That said I'll try and join the guild tonight or tomorrow if I can.

mincedgarlic
Jan 4, 2005

I've been blown up, take me to the hospital.

On which side are goons most active? Looks like Imperial..

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

vanbags posted:

How are packs on the Cartel Market going to work now? When the Underworld Alliance pack is replaced by something new, are they going to be unavailable to buy or will they keep the old ones around too?

I ask because I got a Sith Recluse Breastplate which goes for about 8mil and I'm wondering if I should cash in or wait until it becomes even rarer.

Packs go out of circulation on the CM after a bit. Sometimes they come back (like they did recently). Unless there's a dramatic change in policy, I don't see them keeping all the packs available all the time.

mincedgarlic posted:

On which side are goons most active? Looks like Imperial..
yes.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Do I need to do the side quests or is that 12x story thing still going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It's 6x class quests, 6x planetary quests, so you don't need to do the side quests to keep pace with the story progression.

• Locked thread