Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Glamorama26 posted:

Nope! Larry Cohen films in general are that kinda strange though so just go watch Q The Winged Serpent, The Stuff and the It's Alive films. A very underrated film maker

I'm on it! There were some really great shots in GTMT. I'd love to see it on Blu-Ray.

Having a horror themed night with the roomies-- all stuff we haven't seen before. Started with God Told Me To, then watched Inside (which I really liked), and now we're about to start Final Prayer.

Lil Mama Im Sorry fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Final Prayer was fantastic. Father Calvino doing a Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram to no avail was great, with Mark and Deacon arguing over their perspective views of their Catholicism was a nice touch. And holy poo poo that ending was crazy and awesome.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
It Follows is the real deal gentleman. What a scary, beautiful, thought-provoking film.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

That is all.

Pinhead is a They Might Be Giants Animorph.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

beergod posted:

It Follows is the real deal gentleman. What a scary, beautiful, thought-provoking film.

Thoughts such as "What the hell is that clam e-reader thing?"

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Just ordered God Told Me To on amazon streaming. Excited as gently caress, yall.

It's on Youtube too!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Seriously. That can't possibly be fun to read on. The screens are so tiny and separated.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

I'm on it! There were some really great shots in GTMT. I'd love to see it on Blu-Ray.

Having a horror themed night with the roomies-- all stuff we haven't seen before. Started with God Told Me To, then watched Inside (which I really liked), and now we're about to start Final Prayer.

I want to say Blue Underground released a blu of it years ago, as well as most things Larry Cohen did.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Ash Vs. The Evil Dead is pretty much Evil Dead 2 filtered through multiple decades of memefication. First episode was entertaining, but I'm not sure if it's not gonna get old real quick.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
First episode of Ash was great. Perfect tone, great gore shots. I hope the following episodes maintain the same quality.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I just watched It Follows last night. What an amazing film, I loved how they created this world where it was impossible to tell what time period it was even taking place in.

Also that scare where the tall man walks through the doorway really got me.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I like how the "clever plan" to catch it with the swimming pool immediately goes to poo poo. When I saw them setting it up I rolled my eyes and thought "Really, they're going to beat the monster using home alone tactics?" and then when it just started chucking heavy appliances at her I almost laughed.

edit: Also there's some imagery symbolism with pools and swimming in the movie, but I'm not sure I can nail down what it is. Kind of a baptism/innocence thing. It's right after she swims out to the boat with three men on it that there is a shot showing that her backyard pool is empty/broken. This is followed by a shot of her "nice guy" friend looking at a picture on her wall of her in the pool, happy.

It's a movie that does a whole lot just with visuals and not a lot of exposition/dialogue.

Snak fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 31, 2015

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

I think this might interest the goons of this thread:

http://www.worldheadpress.com/killing-for-culture-all-new-book-and-documentary-299

Years and years ago someone on SA (I think it was Uncle Boogeyman) convinced me to buy this book and now its revised version is finally coming out.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Is Let us Prey pretty decent? It's on Netflix.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
It's sort of... bonkers. Liam Cunningham is both charming and creepy, and I like the cop lady. You figure out pretty much immediately who his character is supposed to be, but I liked it quite a bit. Gets pretty gory at parts.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah I just finished it. Pretty awesome film and well shot. Some parts were a little off but that ending I thought was excellent.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 1, 2015

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Happy Halloween!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQidfcNPSh8

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'd forgotten how the fantastic opening of Scream was completely ruined by the dumbest loving following scene with her creepy loving boyfriend after it.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I thought It Follows was really great, although most people in my Halloween Scary Movie Night group weren't in to it. Probably should have picked something with broader appeal :shobon:

The only part of the movie I feel conflicted about was the showdown at the pool. That scene provided some of the movie's coolest visuals but also felt the most like a horror movie cliché.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I brought this up in the dedicated thread, but I don't think that stuff like the clam e-reader is just a kooky stylistic choice.

The monster comes in the form of an STI not because it's specifically making a comment on STIs. An STI brings up two uncomfortable concepts for young people: regret and mortality. The regret of allowing your life to lead you to this place--even if it's wasn't all your choice--and having the face that something coded as young and youthful and exciting can be your undoing.

Both of those things are defined by opposing forces of time. Mortality is the the inevitable future and regret is the past you cannot change. Thusly the real enemy in It Follows is time itself and that's reflected in stuff like the clamshell ereader. It Follows is a movie in which time is literally collapsing in on itself. The ereader specifically exists as simultaneously coded as retro, contemporary, and futuristic. Time is breaking down and attacking our protagonists from all directions.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Timeless Appeal posted:

I brought this up in the dedicated thread, but I don't think that stuff like the clam e-reader is just a kooky stylistic choice.

The monster comes in the form of an STI not because it's specifically making a comment on STIs. An STI brings up two uncomfortable concepts for young people: regret and mortality. The regret of allowing your life to lead you to this place--even if it's wasn't all your choice--and having the face that something coded as young and youthful and exciting can be your undoing.

Both of those things are defined by opposing forces of time. Mortality is the the inevitable future and regret is the past you cannot change. Thusly the real enemy in It Follows is time itself and that's reflected in stuff like the clamshell ereader. It Follows is a movie in which time is literally collapsing in on itself. The ereader specifically exists as simultaneously coded as retro, contemporary, and futuristic. Time is breaking down and attacking our protagonists from all directions.

I think you're thinking too hard about it.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
There's also the fact that the distinctive clamshell shape is closely associated with birth control packaging.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Cole posted:

I think you're thinking too hard about it.

You're not thinking hard enough.

Clamshell is a cooch too.

Serious Party Gods
Apr 2, 2009

Timeless Appeal posted:

This is a p legit concept - I think it's been alluded to, but not as concisely defined. More to the point; employing childish logic to deal with adult problems.

Serious Party Gods fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 1, 2015

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Blast Fantasto posted:

There's also the fact that the distinctive clamshell shape is closely associated with birth control packaging.

Get out of here with your crackpot theories. Clearly the clam shell represents the space time continuum.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I'm going with "a bad and unnecessary piece of production design". I know what they were going for with the production design in the film, but it wasn't needed thematically and that part in particular didn't work.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
So last night I did what I normally do for Halloween: stay home and watch scary movies. The first I saw was Halloween, which I had not seen before; nothing new to say there: horror classic, jumpstarted the slasher genre, very good. And the second I saw was Possession.

What.. I don't...did I...loving....Just... :psyboom:

WHAT THE gently caress DID I SEE!? I'm not going to say anything or ask about any specifics because a) now I know what people mean when they say you should go in cold and I don't want to spoil the experience, and b)... I don't even know where to begin. I'd gotten the impression that it goes to a crazy place, and it absolutely does, but even in the slow moments, there's absolutely no semblance of anything that approaches reality. Nobody in this movie acts like a real person, it's set in this desolate wasteland without much human presence; it all feels like somebody's nightmare from the word go, and by the time the film started to throw the really crazy poo poo at me, I was rapt with attention. :suspense: So... well done, thread, I guess.

(Seriously, just what the gently caress...)

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###

resurgam40 posted:

So last night I did what I normally do for Halloween: stay home and watch scary movies. The first I saw was Halloween, which I had not seen before; nothing new to say there: horror classic, jumpstarted the slasher genre, very good. And the second I saw was Possession.

WHAT THE gently caress DID I SEE!? I'm not going to say anything or ask about any specifics because a) now I know what people mean when they say you should go in cold and I don't want to spoil the experience, and b)... I don't even know where to begin. I'd gotten the impression that it goes to a crazy place, and it absolutely does, but even in the slow moments, there's absolutely no semblance of anything that approaches reality. Nobody in this movie acts like a real person, it's set in this desolate wasteland without much human presence; it all feels like somebody's nightmare from the word go, and by the time the film started to throw the really crazy poo poo at me, I was rapt with attention. :suspense: So... well done, thread, I guess.

This made me laugh really hard. Going in blink to both, with Halloween first. I can't imagine the head gently caress you got from Possession.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

resurgam40 posted:

Its not for nothing that in the faq on imdb there's only one question about the movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082933/faq?ref_=tt_faq_sm

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tomero_the_Great posted:

I think this might interest the goons of this thread:

http://www.worldheadpress.com/killing-for-culture-all-new-book-and-documentary-299

Years and years ago someone on SA (I think it was Uncle Boogeyman) convinced me to buy this book and now its revised version is finally coming out.

that wasn't me but it does look cool.

John Yossarian
Aug 24, 2013
I watched An American Werewolf in London yesterday, which I haven't seen in about 5 years. That transformation scene still freaks me out. It's crazy that the movie came out in 1981 and the special effects still hold up well. It's too bad An American Werewolf in Paris is so lovely. Oh well.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Haha, I went into possession blind early in the month. It's so bizarre, like every single factor and decision movie making wise is completely the opposite of what is "normal". It's like an un-movie. It's not my favorite film, nor the best I've ever seen, but it's unique and all the people saying it is the best I find I have no argument against. It's amazing.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I went into Possession blind on the recommendation of this thread and absolutely loved it. I still very clearly remember the day I watched it because everything felt so loving weird afterwards.

Around the same time I also watched Occult, which is just as awesome. Both are uniquely weird films but in very different ways.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I don't know if I've ever seen a movie derail as hard or as wonderfully as Possession. It just goes balls to the wall, and never gives up. I love it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I think Possession is a rite of passage for posters in the thread. I always love seeing people going " Just saw Possession. WTF".

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hollismason posted:

I think Possession is a rite of passage for posters in the thread. I always love seeing people going " Just saw Possession. WTF".

i still haven't seen it. i saw Szamanka by the same director, which is definitely very weird but not that great. i'll have to tackle it eventually.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Possession might be my favorite movie ever.

Art Alexakis
Mar 27, 2008
Watched Candyman last night and after earning many college credits in African Study, my eyes were opened (Full on, the lids are both wide) to so much subtext in the film. One thing I noticed especially were the bees coming out of Candyman's mouth since many whties in the olden days believed BLack men can shoot bees out their mouth

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Maybe I owe it another look but Possession bored the poo poo out of me the first time I saw it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Art Alexakis posted:

Watched Candyman last night and after earning many college credits in African Study, my eyes were opened (Full on, the lids are both wide) to so much subtext in the film. One thing I noticed especially were the bees coming out of Candyman's mouth since many whties in the olden days believed BLack men can shoot bees out their mouth
Source???