Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

TorakFade posted:

So nobody spoiled the perk chart yet? How difficult it is, damnit?

I need to start planning my character in advance, I am obsessive about character creation - considering that skills are no more and you don't NEED 8+ intelligence, and most stats look to have solid perks all the way through, I can't really spot any "dump" stats besides maybe endurance (rad resistance, more hit points... who cares just stuff more drugs down your throat you pussy)

I think I want to get real involved with the new settlement thing (hoping it's not like in that Assassin's Creed where you had to run back every 5 minutes to defend your poo poo for zero reward) and weapon modding, so at least 4 strength + 6 Charisma + 6 Intelligence for the mod/settlement perks, and the rest 3

then improving agility/perception/luck with levelups to get combat ability up to speed will require at least 2-3 points each if not more so 6-9 levels unless bobbleheads are easy to find + getting the actual perks - my guess is that level 25-30 will be the sweet spot to get a truly complete character

I'm pretty sure I won't have time for multiple playthroughs so I don't want to overspecialize and miss tons of content because I can't pick locks / pass a speech check / can't mod stuff or build my settlement up

Luckily you can kind of skip damage buffs and combat perks, or just grab a couple and call it a day, because those just make the game easier but don't lock much content away.

HATE GATED CONTENT

Dude, just use Cheat Engine or in-game commands to give yourself the stats you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Bit O Vitriol
Jan 10, 2010

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

They said specifically 200 years and not "after New Vegas" and the game starts on October, whereas Fallout 3 started in August. While the East Coast BOS would be the more interesting iteration to show in Boston (considering you can side against them), if they are there it means Daddy's Girl/Boy's adventures took the entirety of the span of a month, with about a couple weeks margin of error for the East Coast BOS to arrive in Boston, which either demonstrates their hyper competence or the incompetence of the Capital Wasteland's inhabitants (most likely the latter)

The pip boy in one of the leaked pics says the date is October 2287, 6 years after FNV

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

If there's just one reference to fnv I'll be happy knowing Bethesda doesn't completely despise obsidian for making a far better game than they ever could.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Lil Bit O Vitriol posted:

The pip boy in one of the leaked pics says the date is October 2287, 6 years after FNV
If it keeps that date upon release it would be interesting to see how Lyons' BOS has morphed in that time, at least.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Dude, just use Cheat Engine or in-game commands to give yourself the stats you want.

I'd rather not, I like sperging over the details and making compromises, not having all 10s and all perks. That is why I need that perk list :argh:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

They said specifically 200 years and not "after New Vegas" and the game starts on October, whereas Fallout 3 started in August. While the East Coast BOS would be the more interesting iteration to show in Boston (considering you can side against them), if they are there it means Daddy's Girl/Boy's adventures took the entirety of the span of a month, with about a couple weeks margin of error for the East Coast BOS to arrive in Boston, which either demonstrates their hyper competence or the incompetence of the Capital Wasteland's inhabitants (most likely the latter)

The Pip-boy in the leaked screenshots says 2287 which is 10 years after FO3 and 6 after New Vegas.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Police Automaton posted:

I wonder if "Survival" is like Hardcore mode in New Vegas, as in, will add the need for eating, drinking and sleeping.
Rogue-like mode. :unsmigghh:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yeah, maybe increase the saturation 400%, crush the blacks, give it a sort of cel-shaded outline sort of thing, some sort of weird DOF shader! Yeah bro! SweetFX totally is awesome and not complete garbage!

Yeh bro it is when you're not a wanker who doesnt understand how options work or downloads some poo poo preset from another wanker! If you just use sweetfx to add abit of sharpening and smaa and thats it guess what happens!

Sweetfx is cool if you know what you're doing, most dont and you end up with the hilarious crushed blacks bullshit.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Nov 1, 2015

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Todd "Crush The Blacks" Howard

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Welp assuming "Survival" difficulty is what I think it is, and also actually real, I think I'll use that. Though if it just changes every raider into a giant damage sponge then screw it

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Minorkos posted:

Welp assuming "Survival" difficulty is what I think it is, and also actually real, I think I'll use that. Though if it just changes every raider into a giant damage sponge then screw it
I will be incredibly surprised if they even implement the eat and sleep mechanics in any capacity for the player.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Yeah as much as i would like that mode to be like hardcore i think its more like legendary in skyrim, just the name for the hardest mode.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The lockpicking minigame, which has never been interesting in any game ever, is a really strange hill to die on.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

If Bethesda actually paid attention to popular mods then Survival might reduce health, for everything, seeing as almost every good balance mod does that to one extent or another. Make the game much more lethal, for both enemies and the player. I'd be super down for that, especially if it also has basic-needs stuff as well.

Of course, this IS Bethesda we're talking about, so it probably jacks up enemy health so much that it makes UVHM in Borderlands look fun and fair by comparison.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

"Yaos" posted:

One thing I noticed from the E3 video is that it seems there are no restrictions on mods other than your perk rank. If that's true, you could stick some ridiculous mods on weapons that make no sense, like a laser shotgun with a sniper scope.

The Real Ultimate Weapon Customisation Test in any videogame is to take a sniper rifle and see if the game will let you remove the scope from it entirely and just run around with the iron sights. MGSV had really cool weapon customisation but I was so bummed out to see it insisted on scoping your rifle. You could compromise and use a red dot sight, but that's not the same.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

If Bethesda actually paid attention to popular mods then Survival might reduce health, for everything, seeing as almost every good balance mod does that to one extent or another. Make the game much more lethal, for both enemies and the player. I'd be super down for that, especially if it also has basic-needs stuff as well.

Of course, this IS Bethesda we're talking about, so it probably jacks up enemy health so much that it makes UVHM in Borderlands look fun and fair by comparison.

If they were smart this is how they'd do it

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

TorakFade posted:

I need to start planning my character in advance, I am obsessive about character creation - considering that skills are no more and you don't NEED 8+ intelligence, and most stats look to have solid perks all the way through, I can't really spot any "dump" stats besides maybe endurance (rad resistance, more hit points... who cares just stuff more drugs down your throat you pussy)

I think I want to get real involved with the new settlement thing (hoping it's not like in that Assassin's Creed where you had to run back every 5 minutes to defend your poo poo for zero reward) and weapon modding, so at least 4 strength + 6 Charisma + 6 Intelligence for the mod/settlement perks, and the rest 3

then improving agility/perception/luck with levelups to get combat ability up to speed will require at least 2-3 points each if not more so 6-9 levels unless bobbleheads are easy to find + getting the actual perks - my guess is that level 25-30 will be the sweet spot to get a truly complete character

I'm pretty sure I won't have time for multiple playthroughs so I don't want to overspecialize and miss tons of content because I can't pick locks / pass a speech check / can't mod stuff or build my settlement up

Luckily you can kind of skip damage buffs and combat perks, or just grab a couple and call it a day, because those just make the game easier but don't lock much content away.

HATE GATED CONTENT

:spergin:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Songbearer posted:

The Real Ultimate Weapon Customisation Test in any videogame is to take a sniper rifle and see if the game will let you remove the scope from it entirely and just run around with the iron sights. MGSV had really cool weapon customisation but I was so bummed out to see it insisted on scoping your rifle. You could compromise and use a red dot sight, but that's not the same.

Well 4 has that going for it at least. You can take off the scope and run around with iron sights on your sniper rifle. Scopes go under the sights modification group, so you can throw a marksman stock and a long barrel on a gun with iron sights and presto, there you are.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

This is what I hope it is as well, but I doubt it. Reducing HP for everything kind of messes with the combat balance and would probably make some perks too good or not good enough.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

Pwnstar posted:

Sorry but we've established that using explosives to open containers is bad game design.

"using explosives" and "bad game design" are words that cannot be used in the same sentence.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Minorkos posted:

This is what I hope it is as well, but I doubt it. Reducing HP for everything kind of messes with the combat balance and would probably make some perks too good or not good enough.
If it does, you have a badly balanced combat system.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I will be incredibly surprised if they even implement the eat and sleep mechanics in any capacity for the player.
I wouldn't be. The crafting stuff definitely makes it seem like they've been paying attention to video games trends over the last seven years. I think they know about the popularity of stuff like Day Z or Don't Starve. And it was already in New Vegas.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

WTF? That's not the same at all. What's wrong with you

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

TorakFade posted:

HATE GATED CONTENT

As long as you can look at the effects of perks even if you don't have the SPECIAL to take them we should know about the basic level of all the perks some time today. At least, assuming that goon that found a store that broke street-date pops back in and reports as they said they would today.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

enraged_camel posted:

No, I would prefer a variety of minigames that are fun rather than tedious. Perhaps with skill rewarding elements such as opening a locked container on first try giving a chance to result in more loot.

Note that "minigame" contains the word "game", and games are supposed to be fun. Did you find lock picking fun in FO3/Vegas/Skyrim?

Can anyone give an example of a good hacking/lockpicking mini game? I remember the ones in DX:HR were absolutely awful and I could never figure them out. I like the ones in FO3 because they were overly simplistic, fast, and unobtrusive. They did a good job of conveying the illicit nature of breaking and entering without being difficult and therefore tedious and frustrating. You could actually break locks well above your skill level if you were careful which I really enjoyed.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I wonder if the "Force Lock" option is still around, and if it's still useless.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Lotish posted:

Hard lock, huh?
quicksave force lock quickload force lock quickload force lock quickload force lock quickload force lock quickload force lock YES!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Rockybar posted:

If there's just one reference to fnv I'll be happy knowing Bethesda doesn't completely despise obsidian for making a far better game than they ever could.

Why would they care? Even if they did Fallout 3 and Skyrim were better received.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

2house2fly posted:

Why would they care? Even if they did Fallout 3 and Skyrim were better received.

My favourite thing is when people discredit NV for not being a mainline game like what the gently caress dude it's literally exactly the same as Fallout 3 except less dumb.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Lotish posted:

I once saw someone suggest that any lock two tiers (out of the five) below your lockpicking skill should have 100% success rate on forcing it. Then I got angry that Bethesda won't ever do that.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

The Pip Boy turned out to be a bad fit for human forearms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgBbzthuVLA

Better get to making some foam padding if you were actually planning on wearing this thing

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Minorkos posted:

Better get to making some foam padding if you were actually planning on wearing this thing

Just eat more junk food.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

RVWinkle posted:

Can anyone give an example of a good hacking/lockpicking mini game? I remember the ones in DX:HR were absolutely awful and I could never figure them out. I like the ones in FO3 because they were overly simplistic, fast, and unobtrusive. They did a good job of conveying the illicit nature of breaking and entering without being difficult and therefore tedious and frustrating. You could actually break locks well above your skill level if you were careful which I really enjoyed.

Shadowrun: Dragonfall has a FANTASTIC hacking minigame. Whenever you hack into a terminal, you get transported into a 3D virtual reality environment where you have to use specialized skills to destroy the program's defensive countermeasures -- bots, basically -- and get to your objective (e.g. turn off the security system). And the number and strength of the specialized skills (as well as how long you get to stay in the VR environment) is determined by your hacking skill.

The awesome thing about that is that every terminal in the game has its own unique VR map layout that you have to beat, and there's different hacking "sub-skills". So it never gets repetitive.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I mean, I never even considered playing with that thing on to be a comfortable, convenient or good thing to do.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

Kiggles posted:

Just eat more junk food.

Or only work out one arm:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Xeremides posted:

Or only work out one arm:
Most goons already do this - so we're all good!

Seriously, who the hell looked at this and thought "oh yeah! that'll come in super handy as I play!"? Just looking at it you can tell how impractical it is, especially if you plan in playing with a keyboard and mouse. That thing is going on a nearby shelf so I can look at it and if I ever find myself needing to use the companion app for this game I'll just use my phone normally.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Most goons already do this - so we're all good!

Seriously, who the hell looked at this and thought "oh yeah! that'll come in super handy as I play!"? Just looking at it you can tell how impractical it is, especially if you plan in playing with a keyboard and mouse. That thing is going on a nearby shelf so I can look at it and if I ever find myself needing to use the companion app for this game I'll just use my phone normally.

It'll come in handy when you have the oculus rift and smell-o-vision

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Personally, I don't mind Beth's mini games. They're fast and conceptually fitting. Would be great if they added some variation - there are lots of different locks and computer systems. I think variation and option is what players really want, rather than replacing the one system with a new.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

Shadowrun: Dragonfall has a FANTASTIC hacking minigame. Whenever you hack into a terminal, you get transported into a 3D virtual reality environment where you have to use specialized skills to destroy the program's defensive countermeasures -- bots, basically -- and get to your objective (e.g. turn off the security system). And the number and strength of the specialized skills (as well as how long you get to stay in the VR environment) is determined by your hacking skill.

The awesome thing about that is that every terminal in the game has its own unique VR map layout that you have to beat, and there's different hacking "sub-skills". So it never gets repetitive.

That sounds like it would get really annoying if you had to hack with the frequency you pick locks/hack in Fallout or something like Deus Ex. Not played Shadowrun yet though, I'm guessing it's balanced out timewise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

Minorkos posted:

Yea it doesnt look like you can actually use it without it being really annoying.

• Locked thread