Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Lockpicking takes like 30 seconds at max, who gives a gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

thebardyspoon posted:

That sounds like it would get really annoying if you had to hack with the frequency you pick locks/hack in Fallout or something like Deus Ex. Not played Shadowrun yet though, I'm guessing it's balanced out timewise.

Yeah, you might do that sort of thing once a mission, if that, so I think maybe ten or twenty times at most for a full campaign?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Also the whole matrix thing is part of Shadowrun, so that's why it has its own thing.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I actually thought Fallout 3's hacking was really well done, mostly because it actually feels like you are hacking a computer. Instead of engaging in some kind of silly minigame, you're trying to figure out a password using the tools given to you. I think it's great and I'm glad it's still in Fallout 4. The only thing I didn't like was that you had infinite tries and that it came down to luck a lot of time. Still, I don't like that Shadowrun minigame because it looks just like normal gameplay except with a blue filter.

mryellowduck
Oct 31, 2015

by Shine

Two new screenshots.

They seem to be coming from a Spanish forum - http://www.elotrolado.net/hilo_fallout-4-10-de-noviembre_1953109_s2370

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
NO LO VEO CLARO

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

That sounds like it would get really annoying if you had to hack with the frequency you pick locks/hack in Fallout or something like Deus Ex. Not played Shadowrun yet though, I'm guessing it's balanced out timewise.

Well, I gave it as an example because someone asked for an example. I'm not suggesting a full-blown 3D virtual reality adventure for each and every single terminal you come across in a huge world like Fallout 3. I'm just saying that there are a ton of things they can do to make the lockpicking and hacking games not boring and tedious.

Minorkos posted:

Still, I don't like that Shadowrun minigame because it looks just like normal gameplay except with a blue filter.

It looks similar but plays differently. Not super deep (since it's a minigame) but enough to keep each hack interesting.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

How many pockets do you really need?

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

enraged_camel posted:

Shadowrun: Dragonfall has a FANTASTIC hacking minigame. Whenever you hack into a terminal, you get transported into a 3D virtual reality environment where you have to use specialized skills to destroy the program's defensive countermeasures -- bots, basically -- and get to your objective (e.g. turn off the security system). And the number and strength of the specialized skills (as well as how long you get to stay in the VR environment) is determined by your hacking skill.

The awesome thing about that is that every terminal in the game has its own unique VR map layout that you have to beat, and there's different hacking "sub-skills". So it never gets repetitive.

I mean it is a good system and the shadowrun games are great. But lol if you think anyone wants to do that every time they have to hack something in a Fallout game.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

crabcakes66 posted:

I mean it is a good system and the shadowrun games are great. But lol if you think anyone wants to do that every time they have to hack something in a Fallout game.

Literally two posts above yours:

enraged_camel posted:

Well, I gave it as an example because someone asked for an example. I'm not suggesting a full-blown 3D virtual reality adventure for each and every single terminal you come across in a huge world like Fallout 3. I'm just saying that there are a ton of things they can do to make the lockpicking and hacking games not boring and tedious.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
What game was it where you had to match the similar looking bits of 'code'.

Was that Deus Ex?

Edit: No I'm thinking of Mass Effect.

crabcakes66 fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 1, 2015

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

Liefeldian. I assume she's (?) all bright because he's targeting her and not because everything is poo poo and Bethesda can do nothing right et cetera?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, I liked the Mass Effect 2 hacking game. Simple but felt appropriate.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

enraged_camel posted:

Shadowrun: Dragonfall has a FANTASTIC hacking minigame. Whenever you hack into a terminal, you get transported into a 3D virtual reality environment where you have to use specialized skills to destroy the program's defensive countermeasures -- bots, basically -- and get to your objective (e.g. turn off the security system). And the number and strength of the specialized skills (as well as how long you get to stay in the VR environment) is determined by your hacking skill.

The awesome thing about that is that every terminal in the game has its own unique VR map layout that you have to beat, and there's different hacking "sub-skills". So it never gets repetitive.

The first System Shock has a very similar system to this. Every floor has 1 or 2 cyberjacks. You jack into cyberspace, and move around in this virtual 3D environment (that gets disorienting as gently caress since there's technically no up or down) and use different offensive and defensive software to crack ICE and unlock doors. It's super cool. :allears:

Count me as one of the people who like F3/NV (and now 4's) hacking minigame. It's quick, unobtrusive, and you also don't have to do it if you don't want to.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

The autism is coming out

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I liked the ME2 minigame but it gets old on subsequent playthroughs.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Guess there's been another update:

quote:

Our Spanish source has given more updates. I'm Portuguese so I can understand Spanish fairly well, but I'll settle with just relaying the juiciest bits (no story spoilers) rather than doing a poor word for word translation:
He's happy with the graphics. Says they are adequate, given the scope of the game. He often stops to admire the scenery.

Survival mode has nothing to do with NV's hardcore mode (no basic needs); it simply removes the rest-anywhere function edit: actually, this function is gone, in all difficulties; sorry about that. You
can pass time by sitting in chairs, but it won't heal you. To heal through rest, you must sleep in a bed.

Claims that the general feel of Skyrim is present. There is an obvious linear path one can follow at the start, but gradually everything opens up.

He claims that the game isn't perfect, but is no reason to derail the hype train. It's addictive, and while some things took a step back, major features have been improved. The main story however, thus far, hasn't given him much in regards to making choices; it has all been linear.

<few paragraphs regarding the settlements which I really don't feel like translating. Sorry>

Regarding the karma, it seems to be a hidden stat, but he hasn't done anything evil enough to warrant a negative reaction from the NPCs. He'll keep us updated.

He's unhappy with the dialogue. Says it's slow to initiate, and the choices are pathetic (often X advances the conversation, circle is sarcasm or No, square is 'borde' [no clue what this means], and triangle is for queries). Mission info is scarce; he would have liked to know more about what he's being asked to do.
edit: he also mentioned that third-person is improved, and you won't be at a disadvantage for playing that way.

No survival mechanics, from the sound of it. Rough.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Borde is seemingly "edgy' or "rude."

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

mryellowduck posted:

Two new screenshots.

They seem to be coming from a Spanish forum - http://www.elotrolado.net/hilo_fallout-4-10-de-noviembre_1953109_s2370
Someone needs to tell this guy to stop posting ultra-compressed JPEGs.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Its a console game dude

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Yeah I'm BR and I can read these spanish posts. This game is gonna be Skyrim with Guns/Fallout 3 v2 like everyone predicted so far, which is fine by me since that's exactly what I want

mryellowduck
Oct 31, 2015

by Shine

Inverness posted:

Someone needs to tell this guy to stop posting ultra-compressed JPEGs.

It's also weird why he (or any of the other people with early copies for that matter) haven't posted screens of the map or perk list.

I'm suspecting maybe Bethesda has given the go ahead to leak certain parts but not others.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

strong bird posted:

Its a console game dude
That has nothing to do with what I said. I'd like actual crisp screenshots, not pictures with artifacts all over them.

I'm not blaming the game's graphical issues on the image format, if that is what you're suggesting.

mryellowduck posted:

It's also weird why he (or any of the other people with early copies for that matter) haven't posted screens of the map or perk list.

I'm suspecting maybe Bethesda has given the go ahead to leak certain parts but not others.
That would actually be a good explanation for why everyone is being dumb.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

mryellowduck posted:

Ok you can spoil lots of story stuff and post badly compressed screens that make the game looks worse than it is BUT DON'T YOU DARE SPOIL THE PERKS!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mryellowduck posted:

Bethesda is very very tight on their NDA. That is literally all I can say.

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

Is there gonna be an iPad pip-boy app? Playing on PC so could definitely see having that to the left of my keyboard as I play. My time 5s is probably too small

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
You'll cowards don't even break NDA

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

7c Nickel posted:

Ok you can spoil lots of story stuff and post badly compressed screens that make the game looks worse than it is BUT DON'T YOU DARE SPOIL THE PERKS!
Sure, why not?

I mean it's pretty clear that everyone wants to know what the perks are so they can plan characters accordingly. Yet it seems that none of the people that have decided to show off to the Internet have bothered to take a few minutes of their time to document perks.

So yes, now that the idea was brought up, I suspect the leaks are intentional and specific.

Edit: Or maybe it's something like that phenomenon where streamers tend to be absolutely terrible at the games they play and never do what is obvious to the audience.

Inverness fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 1, 2015

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Inverness posted:

Sure, why not?

I mean it's pretty clear that everyone wants to know what the perks are so they can plan characters accordingly. Yet it seems that none of the people that have decided to show off to the Internet have bothered to take a few minutes of their time to document perks.

So yes, now that the idea was brought up, I suspect the leaks are intentional and specific.

You feel a conspiracy is more likely than people on the internet being bell ends?

:edit: Ok yeah, your edit seems to be the most likely thing to me.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

7c Nickel posted:

When all you want is the perks, and you become deeply invested in the perks (that is, the only part of the game worth learning about before its release), and then there's a blackout on the perks- scant promotional information, and no leaks... the world begins to look a bit crazy eventually.

How is it that people can care about other things? How can they be so blind to the importance of perks? Do they not know what we're going through here?

It festers. Something is rotten. Eventually the only reasonable explanation is a conspiracy. Reasonable people couldn't just "happen" to be so ignorant of obviously important things.

I'm beginning to doubt that one goon's "Halloween party" story. Awfully convenient excuse.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Inverness posted:

Sure, why not?

Or maybe it's something like that phenomenon where streamers tend to be absolutely terrible at the games they play and never do what is obvious to the audience.

Honestly I'm thinking it's the latter.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Oooo the spanish guy talked about the LUCK 5 perk. He also said that he doesn't want to talk about all the perks because its a lot of work

Rough Translation: Dumb Luck - You're not dumb..just different. Randomly receive triple XP for any action. The less Intelligence you have, the better the chance.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Inverness posted:

Or maybe it's something like that phenomenon where streamers tend to be absolutely terrible at the games they play and never do what is obvious to the audience.

This is the most likely explanation as I have never seen a streamer (except those who do speedruns or play competitively) ever surpass the minimum amount of competence that you would expect from someone, and most of the time go far below that.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Also he's complaining a lot about the dialogue system. In one of the quests you go to an interview (he was vague about what), and the option he picked didn't exactly correspond to what the PC said, and since the mission depended a lot on what dialogue choice he picked he was really frustrated about it.

frajaq fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 1, 2015

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

frajaq posted:

Oooo the spanish guy talked about the LUCK 5 perk. He also said that he doesn't want to talk about all the perks because its a lot of work
Heaven forbid people put :effort: into leaking information. It's not like we need screenshots of the perks.

quote:

Rough Translation: Dumb Luck - You're not dumb..just different. Randomly receive triple XP for any action. The less Intelligence you have, the better the chance.
This is a pretty good perk concept.

Eiba posted:

When all you want is the perks, and you become deeply invested in the perks (that is, the only part of the game worth learning about before its release), and then there's a blackout on the perks- scant promotional information, and no leaks... the world begins to look a bit crazy eventually.

How is it that people can care about other things? How can they be so blind to the importance of perks? Do they not know what we're going through here?

It festers. Something is rotten. Eventually the only reasonable explanation is a conspiracy. Reasonable people couldn't just "happen" to be so ignorant of obviously important things.

I'm beginning to doubt that one goon's "Halloween party" story. Awfully convenient excuse.
I think you have a good point here.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

frajaq posted:

Oh, neat. If there's one thing that's hard to come by in Bethesda games it's experience points.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

That woman looks photoshopped in.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Police Automaton posted:

That woman looks photoshopped in.
There is a question that needs to be asked: is the Pip-Boy light on?

It has an odd flat lighting that wipes out shadows.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Tried booting up New Vegas again. ... Didn't click. Maybe I've played so much New Vegas I'm still burnt out on it, maybe I keep forgetting how drat boring Goodsprings is compared to everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

2house2fly posted:

Oh, neat. If there's one thing that's hard to come by in Bethesda games it's experience points.

Eh, at least in this one there is no level cap so it's not one of those perks that becomes useless eventually. If it procs on a quest completion then that could be a whole level and a half as well. I probably won't take it but it's not complete poo poo like the ones in Fallout 3 were.

• Locked thread