Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Uncle Enzo posted:

Looking through those pictures that thing would go down in a week or two to a couple dozen folks who'd raided a home improvement center. Cut the camera feeds, find the air vents, light a couple burning tires in them for a couple days/weeks, collapse or block all the in/out tunnels but 1, and wait there for the richies to swarm out. If it takes longer than expected, light the forest on the mountain above on fire and search again for concealed air vents. There's no way their filtration system can handle an arbitrarily high particulate load for more than a certain amount of time. Better yet light large tire fires adjacent to all air intakes, once the updraft of the fire you build equalizes the downdraft power of the air mover, you cut off their oxygen supply. There's no way to store enough air to outlast an even semi-organized attack.

Add some thermal lances on the blast doors and you're golden. Once a party gives up the freedom to maneuver, they're toast. There's no nut so tough that the interior of it can't be rendered uninhabitable.

therea are a lot of ways to kill people at the home depot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Uncle Enzo posted:

Looking through those pictures that thing would go down in a week or two to a couple dozen folks who'd raided a home improvement center. Cut the camera feeds, find the air vents, light a couple burning tires in them for a couple days/weeks, collapse or block all the in/out tunnels but 1, and wait there for the richies to swarm out. If it takes longer than expected, light the forest on the mountain above on fire and search again for concealed air vents. There's no way their filtration system can handle an arbitrarily high particulate load for more than a certain amount of time. Better yet light large tire fires adjacent to all air intakes, once the updraft of the fire you build equalizes the downdraft power of the air mover, you cut off their oxygen supply. There's no way to store enough air to outlast an even semi-organized attack.

Add some thermal lances on the blast doors and you're golden. Once a party gives up the freedom to maneuver, they're toast. There's no nut so tough that the interior of it can't be rendered uninhabitable.

If they have access to the water table they could feasibly produce oxygen for as long as needed just from the water. You'd need to pollute the water table too, and even then with decent filtration technology (which I expect they have because if poo poo hits the fan you need drinkable water) they could produce oxygen as long as they needed and not give a gently caress about burning tires. Subs already do this, they can stay under until they run out of food, no reason the underground complex couldnt have something similar. In reality it'll last until someone needs to change a water filter but this is my imaginary fortress so it's inhabited by a bunch of competent people.

Sure the thermal lances would be problematic if you didnt just immediately blast all the entrances closed when you went in. Safer to do that and just dig yourself out in a couple decades.

TLDR my imaginary underground fortress > tires come at me bro

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
Hahahahahahah they posted 3d interior diagrams

I count 7 entrances, all observable from a handful of physical locations on the same side of the mountain

Oh It's in Rothenstein, Germany

Oh look here's a picture of its physical extent

Some time in google earth tells me it's at
50.83704 N 11.59234 E (In decimal degrees)

These morons told people where it is, gave away their air filtration technique and rough capacity, disclosed under what conditions it would switch to internal air recirculation, it's internal volume, and gave away a goddamn 3d diagram of the interior. Looks like the facility only extends ~250 meters or so into the mountain, with multiple convenient access roads leading up the only ~50m or so elevation gain. You've got convenient road access to the whole drat thing.

Yup, couple pickups full of tires, couple gas cans, a pallet of Great Stuff, 5+ people to watch the entrances, and you've got good eating for everyone when the richies come out.

The attached image is a .kmz file for google earth. Just change the extension from .jpg to .kmz .

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Ok yeah they went full retard

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

ranbo das posted:

If they have access to the water table they could feasibly produce oxygen for as long as needed just from the water. You'd need to pollute the water table too, and even then with decent filtration technology (which I expect they have because if poo poo hits the fan you need drinkable water) they could produce oxygen as long as they needed and not give a gently caress about burning tires. Subs already do this, they can stay under until they run out of food, no reason the underground complex couldnt have something similar. In reality it'll last until someone needs to change a water filter but this is my imaginary fortress so it's inhabited by a bunch of competent people.

Sure the thermal lances would be problematic if you didnt just immediately blast all the entrances closed when you went in. Safer to do that and just dig yourself out in a couple decades.

True but 100% quality air recirculation is technically complex and requires scrubbing media, which are also going to be finite. Electrolysis (splitting the H+0 from water) I know is also very energy intensive. The Vivos folks would have had to install that equipment, the bunker (not fortress mind you) definitely wouldn't have had one. Vivos doesn't appear savvy enough to do that. No need, the thing was supposed to keep some materiel and men safe for a couple days while the fallout died down, then open up, disgorge fresh troops/equipment and decon the ones that weren't in bunkers. This place was never meant to stay sealed indefinitely and it was never designed to be defensible. It has zero defense-in-depth capacity, all the exits are on one side, and the necessity of being able to take a nuclear near-miss totally precludes gun slits, firing positions, etc. It never needed them, it was just meant to hold some stuff, take a thermal flash + overpressure wave + fallout for a calculated length of time, then open, decon, and go into operation. I'm not saying it isn't a good bunker, it looks like a great bunker. It isn't a fortress though. Bunker != Fortress.

Uncle Enzo fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 1, 2015

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I like the ratio of storage to living areas.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

ranbo das posted:

There's at least one big difference between a prepper bunker and a nuclear submarine. What you're saying is that as long as the bunker that doesn't have a nuclear reactor has a nuclear reactor, there isn't a problem.

I would be willing to bet all of my fresh water and non-contaminated food ration on the tire plan.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Munin posted:

I like the ratio of storage to living areas.

I guess over time the 'living areas' become 'restaurant' since there's so little storage

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

Vivos posted:

The Vivos complex incorporates extensive nuclear, biological and chemical (NBC) air filtration systems that pre-filter all air before it enters the shelter. This system includes HEPA filters to remove all physical particles down to the .03 micron level, an activated carbon filtration system to remove radiation particles, a TEDA carbon system to remove chemical agents, and an ultraviolet system to further kill biological agents. Additionally, all intake valves are automatically controlled to seal the entire facility during any actual contamination event.

There are a number of air shafts that provide air to the facility. The shaft openings are hardened and designed to prohibit intrusion or blockage by any outside force, with a number of security measures. However, should for any reason outside air not be available, or unable to be filtered and circulated, then a closed air system is activated that re-circulates all air within the complex.

All air vents and openings leading into the shelter also incorporate water proof gates and hatches that seal the shelter from submersion for the typical duration of a tsunami wave that may wash over the surface. While this is considered unlikely due to the strategic locations of each shelter, it is a concern that has been planned for.

The surface defenses would make it extremely difficult for any intruder, or force to approach and tamper with the air shafts. Keep in mind that if a Vivos shelter is sealed due to outside contamination, or an environment that makes surface life unsupportable, then people would not be free to roam on the surface.

Nope, no electrolysis system. I don't care what physical static defenses they have, unless they're planning on fighting as organized surface units they're dead meat. Their plan clearly stated is to climb into their insulated jerkoff rooms, close the door behind them, and wait out what the peons have to suffer. Their filtration capacity is limited in degree, load and time, their fuel supplies are limited and their use further pollutes their internal air, and once they close the door they're blind. You can have 100's of armed people with vehicles and everything and they're totally impotent inside a cave with only 7 entrances. They have a finite number of air vents, a finite number of exhaust vents, and their location is well known and easily accessible. They're toast unless they spend every available minute patrolling the surrounding areas, controlling turf and exercising defense-in-depth. That kinda defeats their entire "spend the apocalypse drinking wine" plan.

I mean a different fortified structure might be a whole different story- something like one of the big army bases in Afghanistan with larger underground works might work. A modern Khe Sanh with some NBC hardened bunkers would probably work great. Their "defense" section talks a big game about their "highly trained security personnel" but I really doubt a couple mercs are going to give much of a poo poo about rich fucks during the End Of Days. Even if they do, there's a finite number of them coming out of a small number of easily controlled entrances.

Anyone stepping in to that bunker stands no chance the moment a couple dozen people decide they don't like rich people spending food + fuel and resources keeping their wine chilled and their home movies in 7.1 surround that could have been used to keep outside folk's kids alive. Look if your apocalypse plan involves telling an angry group of people that you don't care if their kids starve due to you not sharing, you need a new plan pronto. People aren't going to let their families get hurt while a bunch of rich fucks down the road waste resources that could have been put to better use.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Uncle Enzo posted:

People aren't going to let their families get hurt while a bunch of rich fucks down the road waste resources that could have been put to better use.

They're letting them do it all over the world as we speak :can:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ranbo das posted:

If they have access to the water table they could feasibly produce oxygen for as long as needed just from the water. You'd need to pollute the water table too, and even then with decent filtration technology (which I expect they have because if poo poo hits the fan you need drinkable water) they could produce oxygen as long as they needed and not give a gently caress about burning tires. Subs already do this, they can stay under until they run out of food, no reason the underground complex couldnt have something similar.

Subs that can stay under until they run out of food are able to do it because they have a little piece of equipment on the boat called a nuclear reactor.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phanatic posted:

Subs that can stay under until they run out of food are able to do it because they have a little piece of equipment on the boat called a nuclear reactor.

So what you're saying is that if they had access to the water table and could somehow drive a nuclear submarine in there, they'd be sorted?

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

As much as I'm obviously enjoying this derail

Have I got a place for you! You can own a patch of land in the rapidly growing city of Horizon City, Texas for just a few thousand dollars an acre! Buy now- thousands of lots have gone to shrewd investors like yourselves all over the world already! A city planned from day one to be livable, hygenic, safe-

Don't miss your spot in the wonderful suburbs - just minutes from downtown El Paso! Live on a gentle slope overseeing the gentle plain of Western Texas! Yours now for only

Wikipedia posted:

The Horizon Corporation bought up large tracts of land in the southwestern United States, including eastern El Paso County; platted them into subdivisions; and sold lots in them to thousands of people worldwide, often sight unseen, often without access to water or utilities and using questionable sales tactics, between 1962 and 1975. Eventually the Federal Trade Commission stepped in to stop it in 1981.

The lots in these subdivisions cannot be legally sold and will be difficult to develop due to the 1994 Texas Colonia Act, a state law intended to stop the development of colonias, or neighborhoods underserved by utilities whose residents often live in substandard conditions. It forbids the sale for residential purposes of less than 10 acres of land or the sale of more than 10 acres of land without a guarantee of adequate access to water, sewer services and other utilities.

The saddest architecture is none at all, not even Nature's.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Imagine being the sucker who's gotta drive the Google Streetview car through that place.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

C.M. Kruger posted:

Imagine being the sucker who's gotta drive the Google Streetview car through that place.

That was my first thought so I went to check. It only covers the inhabited parts :(

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like the one with the sand dune growing over the gravel roads. Lol.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
From lovely Sweden

No visitors in ten years for Swedish tourist spot

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This is the beach house of Barrie Marshall of Denton Corker Marshall architects.
It's probably more odd than terrible, I can't decide if I like it or not.

http://architectureau.com/articles/phillip-island-house-by-denton-corker-marshall/

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't think Barrie Marshall knows what a house is.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Whats that blog where the dude is sold a lemon of a house and documents the nightmare?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

EoinCannon posted:

This is the beach house of Barrie Marshall of Denton Corker Marshall architects.

http://architectureau.com/articles/phillip-island-house-by-denton-corker-marshall/

Put a gate across the entrance and it's a great place to exercise your rear end in a top hat dog that likes to bolt after every drat thing. Jump THIS.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

KoRMaK posted:

Whats that blog where the dude is sold a lemon of a house and documents the nightmare?

http://www.hoodwinkedhouse.com/

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:

Jesus loving christ that thing is a cardboard shack :staredog:

makes me fond of communism that gave us fugly but structurally sound all-concrete buildings :dukedog:

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Uncle Enzo posted:

Have I got a place for you! You can own a patch of land in the rapidly growing city of Horizon City, Texas for just a few thousand dollars an acre! Buy now- thousands of lots have gone to shrewd investors like yourselves all over the world already! A city planned from day one to be livable, hygenic, safe-

Don't miss your spot in the wonderful suburbs - just minutes from downtown El Paso! Live on a gentle slope overseeing the gentle plain of Western Texas! Yours now for only

Actually there is quite a good reason for this. A lot of out of state students will purchase an acre or two in order to become in state residents. This saves a lot on tuition over a period of 4 years or more.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

EoinCannon posted:

Odd to have a beach house where half or more of the views are of a concrete lined courtyard.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
^^ it looks like only the side facing the ocean is inhabited. The other sides are either garage or wall.

EoinCannon posted:

I think the concept is nice. The house will likely not disturb the natural beauty of the area looking from the outside.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

:stare: why is there no entry for 'forced house flipper to build his own guillotine... he did not go gently'

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!

Once you find out that at the very least you are going to have to put in 60k worth of repairs, and that in all likelihood there is wayyy more hosed up poo poo than what you've already found, why don't you just have the house demo'd and either build a small rancher or sell the land at a loss? Trying to patch up this disaster seems like the worst idea.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Rape Stink posted:

Once you find out that at the very least you are going to have to put in 60k worth of repairs, and that in all likelihood there is wayyy more hosed up poo poo than what you've already found, why don't you just have the house demo'd and either build a small rancher or sell the land at a loss? Trying to patch up this disaster seems like the worst idea.

He said he was so hosed financially it was either try to rebuild the house or forfeit the mortgage, torpedo his credit rating, and live with his parents for the next decade.

red19fire posted:

:stare: why is there no entry for 'forced house flipper to build his own guillotine... he did not go gently'

I think he's hoping he can drag at least one of them into court and make an example of them to get real estate law reformed to protect against poo poo like this.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's insane that the civil investigator can't do anything if the bad guys just don't respond. and lol at the fact there are no lemon laws for loving houses of all things.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

I kept reading and expected eventually for justice. Then it ended :smith:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Every time I read about that hoodwinked house story, I remember this image that pretty much sums up the whole thing:

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

GlassEye-Boy posted:

I think the concept is nice. The house will likely not disturb the natural beauty of the area looking from the outside.

Yeah it's kinda like a Ha-Ha, but facing the other way and a house.

Probably miserable to live in though since it's basically a concrete box that's only got some south-facing windows (and a couple small north-facing ones) to let light in. I think something equally unobtrusive could be done with a properly designed single-story building that's partially recessed into the hillside, which would allow for more natural light and would probably be easier to heat and keep dry.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

C.M. Kruger posted:

Yeah it's kinda like a Ha-Ha, but facing the other way and a house.

Probably miserable to live in though since it's basically a concrete box that's only got some south-facing windows (and a couple small north-facing ones) to let light in. I think something equally unobtrusive could be done with a properly designed single-story building that's partially recessed into the hillside, which would allow for more natural light and would probably be easier to heat and keep dry.

I saw one of those "amazing-houses" tv shows about that specific ocean house. Its really nice inside and I think its used as more of a vacation house.

I remember that one of the majors design decisions was in fact to not spoil the view of nature.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ranbo das posted:

LOL, why would they bother with any of that poo poo? They are selling apocalypse condos. In the event of the collapse of civilization it isn't like the buyers will be able to sue, and I doubt the company owner ever intends to live down there. A three month supply of food looks just as good as a 10 year supply of food if you stack it right and claim there's more in the back. No one is going to check ahead of time to see if the power plants provide enough power to have the lights on in all the units at a time, much less enough power for extracting oxygen from water.

They don't need to have a plan to beat Uncle Enzo and the Tire Fire Crew, they just need to make it look good enough to convince a few rubes. 34 rubes with a high disposable income and crippling paranoia, to be precise. The goal isn't surviving a nuclear holocaust, the goal is a big upfront payment, and then probably an annual maintenance fee in perpetuity. :getin:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

EoinCannon posted:

That could be really nice if they actually did something with it. A nice, subtle bit of gardening and yard layout inside and some cladding on the concrete.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

EoinCannon posted:

reminds me of the house from Douglas Adams' So Long and Thanks for All the Fish

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Uncle Enzo posted:

Sell the land to hipsters so they can build a glorified fort.

Anyone have a link to that thread?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Photos of the realtor in one of those bagsters wouldn't have been out of place, holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Every time I read about that hoodwinked house story, I remember this image that pretty much sums up the whole thing:

I still don't get why fixed shower heads exist. (I've only seen and had to use one in China.) Even if you only have people of the same height in the household, how do you effectively wash your rear end and balls without a detachable shower head?

e: "Please advise me on proper balls-washing techniques in third-world showers TIA" - Jerry Cotton

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Nov 2, 2015

• Locked thread